2012-13 Amar'e Stoudemire Player Performance and News thread

We'll be BETTER with STAT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Thats how I feel except I don't think really think he'll come off the bench he'll start and play most of his minutes off the bench.

I was looking forward to him and Melo playing together but thats gonna be post poned he needs to start taking some extreme measures to limit his injuries as much as possible.

I still think he'll be good when he comes back offensively after a few games defensively I don't expect anything more than a few blocks a game.

And also he is not getting traded because the Knicks are not gonna trade him for a gang of role players and nobody is gonna give up a star for him with his health. Knicks fans should just hope he can stay healthy for the rest of the year when he gets back.

Amar'e and Melo might not work best on the floor together, but I have no doubt that they're both going to start, but play most of the game separately. Amar'e is going to get his minutes, plain and simple, and we're going to need his offense, because there's no way our 3-point shooting is going to stay this hot - let's be real, there's no way our team is going to keep hitting 47.6% of its 3-pointers. We can't count on that down the stretch, and we definitely can't count on it during the playoffs.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Amar'e and Melo might not work best on the floor together, but I have no doubt that they're both going to start, but play most of the game separately. Amar'e is going to get his minutes, plain and simple, and we're going to need his offense, because there's no way our 3-point shooting is going to stay this hot - let's be real, there's no way our team is going to keep hitting 47.6% of its 3-pointers. We can't count on that down the stretch, and we definitely can't count on it during the playoffs.

I think you'll find Amare will spend a lot of his time playing with Marcus Camby at C. Partly due to the fact that Camby has a respectable mid range jumper and can keep out of Stat's way as Stat will be used as the primary option of the PnR when he is out there with Camby.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think you'll find Amare will spend a lot of his time playing with Marcus Camby at C. Partly due to the fact that Camby has a respectable mid range jumper and can keep out of Stat's way as Stat will be used as the primary option of the PnR when he is out there with Camby.

Yes. When Amar'e is on the floor, the team should be running the pick and roll over and over again, because it's what he's best at. The Knicks really did a pretty bad job of utilizing Amar'e last year because the lack of decent point guard play made it practically impossible for the pick and roll to be anywhere near effective. Now that he's got Felton back, he'll be great and ready to kick major ass in the pick and roll. In addition, Pablo seems to be a good playmaker in the limited minutes he's gotten, and nothing needs to be said about Kidd's ability to run an offense, so Amar'e is in a situation where he can succeed.

When he spent the bulk of last year as a stretch 4, I about lost it.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yes. When Amar'e is on the floor, the team should be running the pick and roll over and over again, because it's what he's best at. The Knicks really did a pretty bad job of utilizing Amar'e last year because the lack of decent point guard play made it practically impossible for the pick and roll to be anywhere near effective. Now that he's got Felton back, he'll be great and ready to kick major ass in the pick and roll. In addition, Pablo seems to be a good playmaker in the limited minutes he's gotten, and nothing needs to be said about Kidd's ability to run an offense, so Amar'e is in a situation where he can succeed.

When he spent the bulk of last year as a stretch 4, I about lost it.

A nice bit of optimism in what is otherwise a pessimistically viewed situation. STAT will definitely have the upper hand compared to last season considering who's gonna be feeding him the ball.

With all due respect, Mr Zero, you didn't mention anything about what is my main concern: defence. This $20M/season nitwit can't play a lick of it.

It's great to see you back, BTW. +1RP

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I know he hasn't. At least not yet.

But for a long time, didn't everybody around the league say the same thing about Carmelo?

If he can become a half-decent defender, then Amar'e should be able to at least contest a damn shot once in a while, or stick a hand up in someone's face.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I know he hasn't. At least not yet.

But for a long time, didn't everybody around the league say the same thing about Carmelo?

If he can become a half-decent defender, then Amar'e should be able to at least contest a damn shot once in a while, or stick a hand up in someone's face.

After 2 seasons of cringing, we're all far more concerned about his team defence and rebounding as opposed to anything else. He's still an offensive machine when spotting up or in momentum, but the work that others put in has to double with him as the help defender. He's still a liability.

His offensive awareness as a triple threat is pretty awful as well.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
His defense is a bigger concern than his rebounding. Defense being the ability to switch and recognize shifts and rotations. Showing overall hustle.

He'll be fine. you just inspired me to make a pump up thread.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
I CAN'T WAIT For Amar'e To Be Back!!!

OK, ANYONE WHO IS NOT SKEPTICAL OF AMAR'E'S DEFENSIVE ABILITY, PLEASE STAND UP!

Ok, now that you're all sitting comfortable, let me speak my mind.

I'm as big of an 'Amar'e Defense Skeptic' as there is, but mark my words:

AMAR'E WILL DEFEND...AND DEFEND WELL

This player is not stupid. He has a gifted offensive game and beyond FREAK athletic ability. He is (was) in the best shape of his life coming into training camp and is BY FAR one of the hardest workers on the team, both on the court and off.

Mike Woodson writes 2 stats on the board before and after each game:
  • Avg Pts Allowed
  • Avg FG% Allowed

Mikey Woodcack has made it abundantly clear what the goal for his team is:
To defend...
To rebound.....
To make the opposing team so nauseatingly sick of the Knicks suffocation tactics that they just pack it in and accept the L.

This isn't D'antoni's 'run-n-gun' from the 3PT (although we have taken a bunch of 3s so far).
This is accountability for yourself and your team on the DEFENSIVE END.
This is sharing the ball on the OFFENSIVE END.
This is being so facking unselfish that it makes other players and coaches sick with envy.

Amar'e sees this. Amar'e hears what people say. Amar'e reads what the media says. Amar'e knows his faults better than anybody.

If you think for one god damn second this man isn't motivated to help bring this team a championship by way of playing the same winning basketball that is currently happening, you're delusional.

STAT is coming. And he's eager to prove you wrong.

I personally can't wait to have the big fella back. This man wants a championship.
:gony:

amare-stoudemire.jpg

tiger0330

Legend
When Stat comes back, 6th man is a perfect role for a guy returning from a knee injury. Work him back into the game slowly, increase his minutes gradually and let him prove he's capable of playing D and getting starters minutes.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
John 20:25​

knicksin60

Starter
If Amar'e could play half the defense that Kevin Garnett plays he will have no problem fitting in with this group of players. But if Amar'e plays the same type of defense that he played under Mike D'antoni opposing teams will look to expose him no matter how many points he averages a game.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
This defense is all about the rotations. If Amar'e can get a quick grasp on that then I'm not that worried. I know ppl see how we are playing now and want to dump his contract but Amar'e is a much better help defender then on ball. With his athleticism he and Chandler should cover a lot of room and turn the paint into an official "no fly zone".

My main thing is he needs to trust the PGs to find him like they do Melo to finish plays. Don't get the ball then look around... Melo has learned to trust his teammates and Amar'e is next.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player

I think it would be best for him to play his minutes with Thomas, Camby and Sheed because they can hide his defensive liabilities and can hit the outside shot to give him some space. I'd try to limit his minutes with Chandler and Melo as much as possible.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Playing defense and getting boards are not entirely about athletic ability. It's about player's determination. Amare has never played defense in his entire career. I wonder what makes the OP think that he would start doing it now.

I do think Amare will make our offense more potent.