2012-13 JR Smith Player Performance and News Thread

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
“First time I heard good game in 6yrs from my head coach! This Man gives me confidence!” - JR Smith via Twitter

e0dc8af667a311e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Just saw this too, what is this guy tweeting during practice for haha. Next we're going to be compared to the Redsox clubhouse, Mike's going to let them drink alcohol on the sideline.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
4.) On his biggest and underrated strength as a coach: "One of his biggest strengths is handling the team, handling the locker room and the most underrated strength that Woody has not gotten credit for is his consistency. You're not going to see the lineup change every other day, you're not going to see tinkering with the lineup, the rotations are going to be the same and he's not going to do things different from one night to the next.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Thanks for stopping by
Shortly after he returned from China and signed with the Knicks, J.R. Smith told Chris Tomasson of FOX Sports Florida that he anticipated picking up his second-year player option and remaining with the Knicks. I was a little skeptical at the time, since the option will only be worth about $2.5MM, and Smith should easily be able to land a longer and larger deal on the open market.

So it's not a huge surprise to see Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld reporting that Smith is expected to turn down his option for 2012/13. According to Kennedy, Smith will seek a multiyear deal, with the Timberwolves, Clippers, and Magic among the teams likely to have some interest.

If Smith does opt out of the second year of his contract, the Knicks will have difficulty re-signing him. Even if New York doesn't pursue a big-name free agent, the team may need to use its mid-level exception to retain Jeremy Lin, leaving little to offer Smith, who wouldn't have Bird rights.

When Smith came back from China, most of his NBA suitors could only offer portions of their mid-level or mini mid-level exceptions, meaning he had to sign for a discount to join the Knicks. In 2010/11, Smith earned $6MM+ for the Nuggets. While he may not find a multiyear guarantee that pays him $6MM+ annually, he should at least be able to easily exceed the $2.5MM on his option year.
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/04/jr-smith-expected-to-decline-option.html

CA7

Scoring Champ
Gotta give him the MLE, cant lose him he's so important, we can find a serviceable PG, there's a few out there in the off-season

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Gotta give him the MLE, cant lose him he's so important, we can find a serviceable PG, there's a few out there in the off-season
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?
WHAT WILL NEW YORK DO WITHOUT LINSANITY!?
WE WILL NEVER FIND A PG OF HIS LEGENDARY CALIBER
:mrgreen:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@CA7: our payroll during the next season is $59.1M which will be or slightly over the salary cap in case it won't be increased or slightly below if it will increase for example to $60M/year. Moreover, we're talking about only 6 players under contracts. Let's say we let Lintendo go and resign JR for our MLE, which means we have no other contracts to offer than vet mins. Looking at available PGs even Dragić is beyond our financial reach. We're going to resign Lin, not only because he brings quality PG skills but also because he makes this franchise earn millions of dollars.

nyk_nyk

All Star
@CA7: our payroll during the next season is $59.1M which will be or slightly over the salary cap in case it won't be increased or slightly below if it will increase for example to $60M/year. Moreover, we're talking about only 6 players under contracts. Let's say we let Lintendo go and resign JR for our MLE, which means we have no other contracts to offer than vet mins. Looking at available PGs even Dragić is beyond our financial reach. We're going to resign Lin, not only because he brings quality PG skills but also because he makes this franchise earn millions of dollars.

We give JR the full MLE and offer Lin the qualifying offer. If Lin is patient he will get his multi year deal. Right now JR deserves the bulk of that money for the work he's put in. I know we NEED a starting pg but Lin is still learning and we shouldn't have to pay for his celebrity.

nyk_nyk

All Star
My mistake, Lin is totally unrestricted with no qualifying offer on the table.

Attachments

• salaries.jpg
    salaries.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Exactly, it's basically Lin or JR, personally I'd prefer to offer our MLE to a way above average prospect, especially that he's our first and only point guard option unlike JR who's our second two guard behind Shumpert/Fields. It doesn't make any sense from any standpoint to resign JR over Jeremy. We could also say JR should be patient because we could offer him a much more favorable contract after the 2012-2013 season.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Sign JR with the MLE

Sign and Trade Landry to the Clippers for Randy Foye or Eric Bledsoe

fukk Linsanity its unhealthy for a team environment

nyk_nyk

All Star
Exactly, it's basically Lin or JR, personally I'd prefer to offer our MLE to a way above average prospect, especially that he's our first and only point guard option unlike JR who's our second two guard behind Shumpert/Fields. It doesn't make any sense from any standpoint to resign JR over Jeremy. We could also say JR should be patient because we could offer him a much more favorable contract after the 2012-2013 season.

You still calling Fields a two guard???

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Knicks organization is very fortunate you aren't our GM, with Grunwald running this circus Lintendo will be resigned without a doubt, as I said resigning JR over him doesn't make any sense.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Chemistry is the most important thing and the best chemistry is between

Chandler/Anthony/Smith/Shumpert/Novak- that line up if fukking dangerous when Shumpert/Smith are making solid decisions as the guards

maybe STAT can add to that, but Lin is too much of a ball controlling PG, he's a D'Antoni type guy, we dont need a D-Rose type I'd love a Billups/Fisher type PG to play off of the guys, set the offense up, control the pace of the game, play off of Melo/STAT/JR, play sound D, when things get wild, grab the ball, get into a set and boom you have a complete squad

There are a few guys we could look to Randy Foye for one could be very good for us, Kirk Hinrich when healthy is very serviceable, DJ Augustine would be great for us if we could work something out with Charlotte, Jarrett Jack would be a great trade option Lin/Fields for Jack/1st Round Pick type of deal would be great