2012-13 JR Smith Player Performance and News Thread

zshopa

Benchwarmer
JR should most definitely keep coming off the bench and embrace that roll kind of like James Harden has in OKC, the guy still gets 28+ mins and closes out games, he is a big part of the OKC rotation and doesnt complain about the role. JR is a whiny little B*tch if he keeps complaining, What happens when Shump comes back? Bench him? maybe but that leaves brewer hanging.

Heres my 2 cents:

Starters
Chandler
Stat
Melo
Shump
Felton

Bench
Camby
Thomas
Brewer
Smith
Kidd

orangeblobman

Rotation player
6th man, hands down.

That's what he's made his money out of, coming off the bench with the swag and the spark.

I think if you throw him into the start, he'll get messed up.

Let him do what he does best, that is provide energy as a 6th.

JR should most definitely keep coming off the bench and embrace that roll kind of like James Harden has in OKC
Agreed. I always thought of JR Smith as our scoring punch off the bench. He would have to be more consistent and efficient before he can start games imo.

zshopa

Benchwarmer
I dont think its about his consistency really. we have seen both sides of JR the good and the bad on and off the court. its not that hes not starting material. hes a great player but he demands the ball and unfortunately he wouldnt be any teams first option especially here. the only way he can get enough touches and shots is with the bench. guys like Jamal Crawford and Jason terry spent most of their careers as 6th men and have succeeded in that role. the consistency will come as he matures as a person and as a player but his energy and spark off the bench will always be a part of his game.

p0nder

Starter
Honestly I like the starting lineup with JR in it. I'm always a big fan of playing your best 5 players out of the gate and I honestly think that JR is the 4th best player on the team and should be in the starting line up. This is especially true with the injuries to shump and brewer right now.

Also JR is a great athlete and baller but has never fully attained his potential. This could be the type of thing that could motivate Swish to step up his game. If Woody gives him some shots at the staring lineup early on and he plays well and the team wins then I think he's earned it. He has certainly earned the chance to prove himself.

I think Manu and Harden are different types of players. They are better suited to that 6th man, lead the rally troops kind of players. JR Smith coming off the bench simply looks to "get his" where as JR smith the starter looks to defend, pass, make plays and score efficiently.

I know that the bench looks light on scoring with him in the starting lineup. But if we are asking Shump to increase his offensive output, why not put him in unit 2 and allow him to get more touches and looks? Certainly Kidd and Camby can still score effectively. Shump should be able to create a look, and essentially we shouldn't be doing entire Line changes like it's hockey, just subbing in for assignments on D and situational plays, and to give starters rest.

JR Smith in the starting lineup gives us one of the most dangeour offensive starting lineups in the league. JR has Joe Johnson potential. Hell I'd say his ceiling is higher even as he's more athletic and can be a better defender. Just need to motivate him the right way.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Yea JR has potential, but he's happy with how far he has developed it. You don't get a sense of urgency from JR, you get a sense of contentment.

JR is happy with how far he has come and this is 6th man spark plug.

If he had ambition beyond being a 6th man spark plug, he would not have followed Melo to New York.

Actions are louder than words and we see now, because he has followed Carmelo to repeat his Denver role, JR does not have ambition to be a starter in the league.

We are very happy to have him as 6th man, much better than most 6th men in the league.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
Honestly I like the starting lineup with JR in it. I'm always a big fan of playing your best 5 players out of the gate and I honestly think that JR is the 4th best player on the team and should be in the starting line up. This is especially true with the injuries to shump and brewer right now.

Sorry man this just is not true. JR is not the 4th best player on the team. He may actually be the 3rd best scorer on the team, and he does play hustle Defense, but he requires the ball a little too much to be in the starting 5.

I don't know how you can't see that JR with the 2nd unit and/or mixing him in with JUST Anthony or STAT would be more beneficial than starting him.

If we stick a lockdown defender at the 2 who can shoot 3's, that's what we need....Not a dude that makes between the leg backwards bounce passes and fadeaway 3's.

I love JR but starting? :boohoo:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I like Jr better as the sixth man, i think we really need his fire power off the bench, lets face it JR is probably the only one off the bench that cant get to the basket consistently + Jr has the ability to set up other players and who would want to break up that great chemistry between JR and Novak.

Lets keep him as the 6th man our starters have enough fire power between Felton, Melo, & Stat and im sure tyson will get some easy buckets under the rim & some lobs

Starks

Starter
6th Man.

Smith needs to realize his ceiling as a player is Jason Terry part 2. And that's where his value really comes alive at. To be in the starting lineup with our roster means to be muzzled and falling into place with the flow of Melo. Shump being a lockdown defender is much more important than having an erratic gun for hire. He needs to embrace his role as 6th man and own it.

p0nder

Starter
Sorry man this just is not true. JR is not the 4th best player on the team. He may actually be the 3rd best scorer on the team, and he does play hustle Defense, but he requires the ball a little too much to be in the starting 5.

I don't know how you can't see that JR with the 2nd unit and/or mixing him in with JUST Anthony or STAT would be more beneficial than starting him.

If we stick a lockdown defender at the 2 who can shoot 3's, that's what we need....Not a dude that makes between the leg backwards bounce passes and fadeaway 3's.

I love JR but starting? :boohoo:

Who is that right now? Chris Copeland? With injuries abound I'm hopeful that we will get to see JR step into the starting lineup and prove himself worthy of it. I think JR has great defensive potential and he's a better 3 point shooter then either Ronnie or Shump, when they return.

I understand the idea of mixing him up with lineups of melo and STAT but he's itching to step into the starting role. Shump has potential but he's still "rook" on this team. He's been out injured for some time and could regress as a player because of it. Brewer is not a jump shooter and certainly not a 3point threat.

JR smith helps stretch the defense in ways these guys can't. The 2nd unit has 3 point shooting with Kidd and Novak in it. On the starting lineup we have Melo and Felton. But in Felton's first run with the knicks he'd take a lot of bad 3 point shots and Fields got a lot of looks because of the defense on Gallo(melo) and felton. But JR is 2X the player Fields is and a better 3 point shooter then anyone else on the starting lineup.

Also, if JR isn't the 4th best player on the team who is? Camby? Kidd? Shump? None of them are the all around talent and skill level of JR at this point in time.

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
Definitely prefer JR as 6th man over starting. The bad shot selection and high volume shooting can be dealt with better with this season's second unit as with Novak spacing the floor and Kidd orchestrating there's much more organisation and experience running things. When JR was coming off the bench with Bibby, Harrellson, Jeffries etc then he needed to create his own shot more, but I think with a second unit of Kidd, JR, Novak, Camby and Thomas then there is more creativity and experience of running an offence in the NBA for JR to not have to create his own shot all the time.

KingCharles34

All Star
JR wants to start so he can put up better numbers and get himself a big contract that will last him through his prime. I have no problem with this, not saying hes a star but hes definitely being underpaid. I feel a little bad for him but hopefully he can block all that out and just focus on contributing as much as possible regardless of if hes a starter or 6th man. If he does his thing the money will come for him

I'm probably gonna get called out for saying this but STAT should be 6th man with JR replacing him...not as a PF ofc

Ideal Lineup
Chandler
Melo
JR Smith
Shump
Felton
I sort of agree with you, but I would probably start Camby at PF. Carmelo said recently he doesnt wanna play PF as much this year. Stat would be a nice boost of the bench and JR is a better defender at shooting guard then Stat is at PF

Im sorry but as creative as this is.. there's not gonna be a $20M 6th player in the NBA...
Look at whats going on with the Yankees and Arod right now, anythings possible

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I'd play him a couple games in preseason as a starter. See how he reacts. Is he starting fast, slow. I like his outside shooting alongside Kidd as a spark off the bench.

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Definitely one of the the top 5 players. Which makes him so deadly as the 6th man. He can win best sixth man award this year.

We just need to make sure he gets a lot of playing time - even off the bench.

smokes

Huge Member
Looks like he hurt his left foot today in practice and is in a walking boot. When it rains it pours!

Apparently it's not too serious, he should be fine for the start of the season. Shame though I'd have loved to see him starting in the pre-season to get a feel for this whole situation.

Also just read that Ronnie Brewer practiced as is recovering well from his knee injury and is expected to be ready to start in the season opener.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
6th Man.

Smith needs to realize his ceiling as a player is Jason Terry part 2. And that's where his value really comes alive at. To be in the starting lineup with our roster means to be muzzled and falling into place with the flow of Melo. Shump being a lockdown defender is much more important than having an erratic gun for hire. He needs to embrace his role as 6th man and own it.

Great to see you posting again, please stop by more often!

Repping this post for making your return.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
6th man for sure. Hes a great second unit guy.(You guys saw what the second unit did to our starters yesterday) I prefer his spark off the bench even though he prefer to start.

Also to the people who say Stat should come off the bench, it just wont happen. Him coming off the bench makes perfect sense and everything would fit, i just dont ever see a 100 Million Dollar Player coming off the bench...

besides stat is a BEAST. Be ready for him this year.(ive been praying for his knees all offseason)

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
JR Smith ‏@TheRealJRSmith
#whatsonyourfeet! http://instagr.am/p/Q5NDkatfFg/

proxy.jpg