2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
People bash Woodson cause he never tooks the Hawks past the 2nd round, but when you look at the roster he had, it's a wonder they got that far. That team was built for mediocrity and Woodson got them past the first round!

I really can't wait to see how he goes over the next few years with this group. At the very least, it's great to have defense back in the garden.

I think he will do wonders for JR Smith, who has borderline all star potential but poor decision making holds him back. Woodson should help JR become more of the X factor the Knicks need.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Woodson is definitely a leader of men, he understands winning basketball

And when you look at what he did with his Hawks teams we have a similar but better versions

Carmelo is a bigger, more skilled Joe Johnson
Amare is a more agile and versatile Al Horford
Chandler is a more vocal and has a bigger defensive impact and less offense than Josh Smith
Smith is better than Crawford when under control on O and D
Felton/Kidd/Prigioni>>>>Bibby/Teague
Shumpert/Brewer are better glue guys than Marvin Williams and Mo Evans
Novak he never had a KO shooter every championship team has one
Camby will add a big off the bench and have more of an impact than Zaza

smokes

Huge Member
I agree with everything in this thread. Woodson was an awesome coach at the end of last season if you ask me. Him taking control of the team came only very slightly shy of the whole Lin saga in terms of how pumped it got me over the Knicks last year.

I dunno maybe after D'Antoni my expectations are set pretty low but to me Woodson possesses all of the qualities of a great coach, I guess the only thing left is for him to maintain the respect of the players and for them to hear him.

KingCharles34

All Star
It hurts me to admit this but there are some things O Antoni did with the offense that I dont mind Woodson keeping.

Now that thats over with, this is a very good thread. Green rep for New New York (No MeloMafia). I think that Woodson is a guy that learned every step of the way, hes open minded and he has a connection with his players like Doc Rivers has with the Celtics. Mike Woody might just now be reaching his prime as a coach. He says he hasnt even coached too much offense yet with the Knicks, its gonna be tough with all the options he has with this team. Im really lookin forward to being a top 5 defense in the league

metrocard

Legend
Woodson is definitely respected by the stars of our squad, so that was a big advantage because D'Antoni didn't command our trio well in his tenure in NYC.

Woodson had the team play to potential when he entered as coach. Anyone remembers that game vs Portland? We made it look like the Blazers didn't belong in the NBA. What was good about Woodson he got the team use to not relying on Linsanity and allowed Melo to be a complete player along with 30 points a game.

That was important, especially with where we are now....a Lin-less team. Lin wasn't going to be apart of future so the sooner we got use to playing without him, the better.

D'Antoni's system at it's best was basically give Lin the ball and see what he does with it, occasionally pass it to an open Novak or Smith for 3 or Chandler inside the paint.
I didn't see the Knicks going far with a system so predictable which led to many turnovers...even though it was fun to watch, at times we cringed deeply seeing Lin turn the ball over and dribbling the ball into traffic.

New New York

Quiet Storm
People bash Woodson cause he never tooks the Hawks past the 2nd round, but when you look at the roster he had, it's a wonder they got that far. That team was built for mediocrity and Woodson got them past the first round!

I really can't wait to see how he goes over the next few years with this group. At the very least, it's great to have defense back in the garden.

I think he will do wonders for JR Smith, who has borderline all star potential but poor decision making holds him back. Woodson should help JR become more of the X factor the Knicks need.

Woodson is definitely a leader of men, he understands winning basketball

And when you look at what he did with his Hawks teams we have a similar but better versions

Carmelo is a bigger, more skilled Joe Johnson
Amare is a more agile and versatile Al Horford
Chandler is a more vocal and has a bigger defensive impact and less offense than Josh Smith
Smith is better than Crawford when under control on O and D
Felton/Kidd/Prigioni>>>>Bibby/Teague
Shumpert/Brewer are better glue guys than Marvin Williams and Mo Evans
Novak he never had a KO shooter every championship team has one
Camby will add a big off the bench and have more of an impact than Zaza

This is not just me supporting Woody, I think if he had been able to coach that team for another 2 years they make the Conference Finals. He just continued to make that team better every year they were one of those teams that never made huge changes just tweaks here and there.

I said it before and I'll say it again...the way he handled taking over for Dantoni with coaches like Jackson and Sloan waiting in the wings showed heart. Van Gundy-esque

CoolClyde

excellent thread

most excellent thread, and a great thought! I agree Wood Son has learned from some of the
best basketball minds, and implementing discipline and defense are the keys to winning basketball.

He played for the Knicks, was assistant coach for the Championsheed Pistons, and took over a
discombobulated team and made it his own.

I spent close to 4 years hating Clamtoni and his greaser crew of holier-than-thou know-it-alls,
and now I feel the team I love is being coached by a down-to-earth, defensive-minded knickerbocker.
:gony:
I feel really good about this squad, about the coach, and about the upcoming season.
I haven't said that in years. good post.
:beer:
PS: can't give you more green rep at this point, but I 5-starred the thread! yep!

New New York

Quiet Storm
most excellent thread, and a great thought! I agree Wood Son has learned from some of the
best basketball minds, and implementing discipline and defense are the keys to winning basketball.

He played for the Knicks, was assistant coach for the Championsheed Pistons, and took over a
discombobulated team and made it his own.

I spent close to 4 years hating Clamtoni and his greaser crew of holier-than-thou know-it-alls,
and now I feel the team I love is being coached by a down-to-earth, defensive-minded knickerbocker.
:gony:
I feel really good about this squad, about the coach, and about the upcoming season.
I haven't said that in years. good post.
:beer:
PS: can't give you more green rep at this point, but I 5-starred the thread! yep!

Appreciate it Clyde!!!!

Fired up about Woody...loved watching him on NBA TV yesterday.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
It hurts me to admit this but there are some things O Antoni did with the offense that I dont mind Woodson keeping.

Now that thats over with, this is a very good thread. Green rep for New New York (No MeloMafia). I think that Woodson is a guy that learned every step of the way, hes open minded and he has a connection with his players like Doc Rivers has with the Celtics. Mike Woody might just now be reaching his prime as a coach. He says he hasnt even coached too much offense yet with the Knicks, its gonna be tough with all the options he has with this team. Im really lookin forward to being a top 5 defense in the league

I think Kidd will help Woodson a lot in terms of ideas and sets to run. I dont' think we'll have many problems offensively. He'll be able to pass to the players, when to attack when to pull it back.

KingCharles34

All Star
woodson.png

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
Minutes allocation?

I think minutes allocation will be one of the biggest challenges for Woodson this season. With the depth we have, there will undoubtedly be some talented players left on the bench

How do you think Woodson is going to be dishing out minutes this season? Or, if you prefer, how SHOULD minutes be dished out? Obviously, every game is different, and context is key, not to mention injuries. But if we were to hypothetically assume that everyone were healthy, what would you do on average?

5 spots on the floor , 48 minutes per spot (non-overtime games) = 240 minutes per game, so your totals have to add up to 240. I'm dividing it up by position, but that's not totally necessary.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Center:

Chandler - 30
Camby - 14
Thomas - 4 (plus at PF)

Power Forward

Amare - 35
Sheed - 10
Thomas/Copeland - 3 (Copeland will only see minutes if someone else gets injured, I think)

Small Forward

Melo - 38
Novak - 10 (plus below)

Shooting Guard

Shump - 20
JR - 20
Novak - 5
(I think Brewer will get Shump's minutes until Shump gets back, then mostly ride the bench unless he really has produced the first half of the season)

PG

Felton - 33 min
Kidd - 15 min
Priogione - (only if someone is injured)

I am by no means confident in this assessment. I just have no idea how everyone is going to get minutes. I think Thomas and Brewer deserve more than I put down above, but I just don't know who to take minutes away from. Obviously, there will be injuries so different guys will get more minutes at different times in the season. But I'm not sure what my "ideal" minutes allocation would be at this point. Thoughts?

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
PG Felton 28, Kidd 15, Pabs 5
SG Brewer 15, Smith 30, Kidd 3
SF Anthony 30, Novak 14, Brewer 4
PF Amare 34, Novak 6, Anthony 8
C Chandler 32, Camby 16

I can't see Sheed and Thomas getting regular minutes right now.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Nice numbers. Its hard to talk minutes though every game is different with another game plan. I must say your numbers do look good.

I think Kurt Thomas is a little under-rated and should see more then 4 minutes. Maybe 6-10. I also think Prig should get some burn as well.

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
PG Felton 28, Kidd 15, Pabs 5
SG Brewer 15, Smith 30, Kidd 3
SF Anthony 30, Novak 14, Brewer 4
PF Amare 34, Novak 6, Anthony 8
C Chandler 32, Camby 16

I can't see Sheed and Thomas getting regular minutes right now.

Yeah, they may be more insurance policies at this point.

Thoughts about SG once Shump gets back?

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
Nice numbers. Its hard to talk minutes though every game is different with another game plan. I must say your numbers do look good.

I think Kurt Thomas is a little under-rated and should see more then 4 minutes. Maybe 6-10. I also think Prig should get some burn as well.

I gave Thomas 4 at Center and 3 at PF, so 7 total - I guess we're about agreed on that. I'd like to see Pablo get some run, but at whose expense? That's the challenge of depth, I guess. Good problem to have, as they say

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Yeah, they may be more insurance policies at this point.

Thoughts about SG once Shump gets back?

Probably Brewer will get a hit in the regular season, maybe Smith trends down a bit. Would like to see Melo's minutes go down a bit too.....regular season wise, swinging Smith or Brewer up to 3. These guys get knicks and knacks throughout the regular season where they're out for a game....but if it were a playoff game, they'd play type injuries, he'll get a good run March-April to see what he can bring alongside Felton and Kidd. I think he'll be more of a help alongside Kidd defensively. We've stocked the position so well, that whatever he can provide will be a bonus.

tiger0330

Legend
I'd sign Sheed just to keep Kurt Thomas off the floor. Dude plays old and slow, 40 year olds should not be playing NBA bball.

Have to find Prigoni more minutes, he might be better than Felton.