2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

Woody is putting together a team built for the playoffs. His defensive schemes should afford him plenty opportunities on the scoring end. I no longer see a fast pace on the break team...but one that will thrive under the Garden lights and the chants of DEFENSE! Just hope he gets enough chemistry going before the season starts.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Woody is putting together a team built for the playoffs. His defensive schemes should afford him plenty opportunities on the scoring end. I no longer see a fast pace on the break team...but one that will thrive under the Garden lights and the chants of DEFENSE! Just hope he gets enough chemistry going before the season starts.

Absolutely and utterly concur with you on that one, RNYB.

I'm sure Woody's absolutely wrapped to have Camby backing Chandler after last year's constant concern of overplaying TC.

The chemistry is key, and I think some experience from the year prior of co-existing with the ball between Amar'e and Melo should hopefully bring in some continuity between the 2.

A question I have for you and others is......STAT and Ray played some harmonious ball 2 seasons ago, but STAT is no longer our best/primary P&R screener. We've all eluded to Ray helping bring STAT back to the limelight, but will the offense best suited to the team allow that to happen?

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Our teams best offensive and defensive lineups?

For the Knicks, offensive lineup is fairly easy.

Felton
Smith
Novak
Melo
Amare

Amare can be the sole pick and roll recipient and Melo can excel at the PF spot. Shooters (although streaky from the 1 & 2) to space the floor.

Defensive side is debatable but to go with a big lineup of:
Shumpert
Brewer
Melo
Camby
Chandler

Gives up 2 great bigs roaming the paint and we stay tall with Shumpert and Brewer oversized for their positions. A lineup with:
Kidd
Shump
Brewer
Camby
Chandler

May give us more stops as the team has excellent stealing & shot blocking ability, but it leaves us undersized and I don't trust Kidd to keep up with the more athletic guards in the league.

Kiyaman

Legend
Our best defensive-players that will bring offense:

C- Camby & Tyson
PF- Kurt & Rasheed
SF- Novak & Brewer
SG- Brewer & Shump
PG- Kidd & Felton

Rob Low

Rotation player
Our best defensive-players that will bring offense:

C- Camby & Tyson
PF- Kurt & Rasheed
SF- Novak & Brewer
SG- Brewer & Shump
PG- Kidd & Felton

Why would you put Novak in for defense? You'd be better off playing Kidd,Brewer, and Shump or even Melo over Novak

KingCharles34

All Star
Yea i wouldnt put Kidd on Lebron, it did work in the 2011 finals at times but thats only because Lebron was so far out of it mentally. The Jet was also shutting Bron down

But Kidd on Wade works because Kidd is well respected by the refs, he does get away with things. And Wade i predict will lose some more of his athleticism this year. Hes already having problems healing from surgery and hes overweight.

The paperwork has already been filed for Dwayne Wade to be placed on the Larry Holmes flabby and sick list of athletes. He might get voted in this year

*edit*

Here it is Wade, time to do some paperwork

23621180-1t7y4s.gif

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Why would you put Novak in for defense? You'd be better off playing Kidd,Brewer, and Shump or even Melo over Novak

Novak happen to be a very good help-defender in the paint & on the peremeter, plus Novak has great skills in boxing-out of the paint on the offensive and defensive-end of the court.

A frontcourt lineup of Camby, Kurt, and Novak gives us 3 great defensive-rebounders with efficient lob-passing-skills which gives oponents "one-shot" and the chance to run-run back on defense.

A lot of NBA fans believe our Knicks-bench and depth-players are to old to have a winning season .. our experience "old-heads" will prove so many of these fans wrong.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yep

Novak happen to be a very good help-defender in the paint & on the peremeter, plus Novak has great skills in boxing-out of the paint on the offensive and defensive-end of the court.

A frontcourt lineup of Camby, Kurt, and Novak gives us 3 great defensive-rebounders with efficient lob-passing-skills which gives oponents "one-shot" and the chance to run-run back on defense.

A lot of NBA fans believe our Knicks-bench and depth-players are to old to have a winning season .. our experience "old-heads" will prove so many of these fans wrong.

:agreed:

Novak is an intelligent defender. In terms of capability, he's well below average, but he knows full well what he has to do, and he does it to the best of his ability. At 6'10, he can be very effective around the basket, and his timing compensates for a lack of vertical. Clearly he's a clever guy.

Is there any talk on what he's been working on defensively? I know he's been adding to his passing skills, which is a good call considering he'll be targeted as the one trick pony he's been labelled.

Wargames

Starter
Depending on the PG felton or Kidd

But realistically if sheed makes it with some gas in the tank

Shump
Brewer
Sheed
Chandler

And this line up should only come out when the knicks have an extremely healthy lead and want to run the clock out in the 4th.

Normally i expect to see.

Kidd
Shump
Brewer
Melo
Chandler

With Melo ISO ball like crazy

Kiyaman

Legend
Depending on the PG felton or Kidd

But realistically if sheed makes it with some gas in the tank

Shump
Brewer
Sheed
Chandler

And this line up should only come out when the knicks have an extremely healthy lead and want to run the clock out in the 4th.

Normally i expect to see.

Kidd
Shump
Brewer
Melo
Chandler

With Melo ISO ball like crazy

Please-please no-mo ISO-Melo.

I wish guys would stop putting Shump into the mix, until March .. when we will
be able to diagnose how well rehab healed the dynamic-athleticism.

When in close games that lead to crunchtime .. I want coach Woody to have
the option of three types of lineups to use for close crunchtime games ....
1) an all defensive-lineup that makes STOPS
2) a gelling offensive-lineup that scores
3) and a defensive-lineup that scores consistently
EFF-letting Melo, Stat, and Tyson play every second of crunchtime-minutes for a 50-50 chance at winning ..
we will win off of STOPS, and easy baskets...

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Lebron and Kidd are different players now. Put them against each other now and I'm taking Bron everytime. No disrespect to Kidd but...come on.

Rob Low

Rotation player

But Novak is not a better defender,rebounder, or scorer than Melo so im not understanding your logic here.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Lebron and Kidd are different players now. Put them against each other now and I'm taking Bron everytime. No disrespect to Kidd but...come on.

Agreed, Lebron's added so much to his game since those finals, I mean working with Hakeem in summer 11, gave the guy a low post game, he'll kill Kidd on the block.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Dantoni's O + Larry Brown's D + Bob Knights Discipline+some Red Holzman

Was just thinking about Woody as a coach and I realized who he has learned from as a player and assistant coach and he has gotten some great mentorship.

As a college player he was coached by Bob Knight. Say what you want about Bob Knight (and I would have a lot to say) he got the most out of his players and he was a good coach. He demanded hard work and commitment and that's what Woody is asking of our guys this season.

bob-knight.jpg

Woody gets to the Pro's and is coached as a Rookie by the same man who mentored Phil Jackson. Red preached understanding your roles and no one player being bigger than the team as a whole. Melo's willingness to compromise now is a reflection of that.

holzman_red.jpg

There have been few better coaches on the defensive end than Larry Brown and there have been few better Defensive clubs than The Pistons during their recent Championship and Finals runs. Dantoni loves floor General PG's over flashy ones. PG's like Felton (a Brown favorite) Kidd and Prigioni are all on our roster in large part to this influence.

images

Dantoni is one of the greatest offensive coaches in league history. We know about his limitations on preaching Defense, but if assembling a dream team of coaches he would be on it just for his offensive input alone. I believe Woody's time with Dantoni did help him as an offensive coach. The Knicks are going to utilize a lot of Dantoni's offensive schemes this year.

images

I love the guy's pedigree! He has learned from some great basketball minds. The one thing he has none of the other guys had was the ability to relate to his players on a personal level. Take JR Smith....Too selfish for Red Bob Knight wouldve never touched him, Larry Brown woudl've degraded him, Dantoni would not know how to tame him! Woody has shown both disipline and respect towards him.

Excited for this roster for a lot of reasons and Mike is for sure one of them

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Good thread. I'm not high on D'Antoni in any way, but maybe Woodson will use a fast pace at times when needed because of him.

He learned from the man who was a key part in winning the Knicks two championships.