2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

CA7

Scoring Champ
Woodson gives JR a long leash with a tight grip

He allows JR to play his game under certain circumstances, play D, make the right play and be aggressive

He never fit with Scott and Karl does this **** with a lot of guys

KingCharles34

All Star
I view Woodson as being almost like a fatherly figure to JR. Hes helped him transition from a boy to a man, not all of us are ready to be a man after high school. It takes some of us til our late 20's, some of us never become real men. This is great to see with JR, hes taking basketball very seriously now. In some ways hes been our most consistent player on both ends of the court. Melo has had some defensive lapses. JR has just been great, hes been the type of teammate Id love to play with if i was good basketball player. Its great to see him doing big things while hes still in his prime athletically

In defense of the old school hip hop style, wearing oversized jeans doesnt make u a bad person or mean that your not a man. Those are all stereotypes that come along with the hip hop culture. Stereotypes are sometimes true but not 100%. Lets take AI for example, hes still got that thug image but he gets his respect. AI reps the culture to this day better then most rappers do

zshopa

Benchwarmer
I view Woodson as being almost like a fatherly figure to JR. Hes helped him transition from a boy to a man, not all of us are ready to be a man after high school. It takes some of us til our late 20's, some of us never become real men. This is great to see with JR, hes taking basketball very seriously now. In some ways hes been our most consistent player on both ends of the court. Melo has had some defensive lapses. JR has just been great, hes been the type of teammate Id love to play with if i was good basketball player. Its great to see him doing big things while hes still in his prime athletically

In defense of the old school hip hop style, wearing oversized jeans doesnt make u a bad person or mean that your not a man. Those are all stereotypes that come along with the hip hop culture. Stereotypes are sometimes true but not 100%. Lets take AI for example, hes still got that thug image but he gets his respect. AI reps the culture to this day better then most rappers do

yea..... but AI is a thug who is broke as SH*T now, whose bank accounts were frozen cuz he owes money to a jewelry store. Not exactly what coach wants out of JR.

Sorry AI was incredible for a while but its how he carried himself that hurt him the most.

The NBA is a business and your team is your company.

KingCharles34

All Star
yea..... but AI is a thug who is broke as SH*T now, whose bank accounts were frozen cuz he owes money to a jewelry store. Not exactly what coach wants out of JR.

Sorry AI was incredible for a while but its how he carried himself that hurt him the most.

whoops...didnt know all that. OK, who else we gonna find to represent the hip hop culture? If not AI, my vote goes to this man right here

220px-Nas_-_Life_is_Good2.jpg

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

He is not broke, he has a lot of money coming to him sometime in his 40s, and also is making a lot of money off his retro sneakers. The media tries to make things seem much worse than it is when it comes to him.

He is not a thug. He's true to his self, speaks well, and is a good person. No one is perfect, and no one should be a labeled as a thug for not being perfect. Clothes don't make a man.

Some of his choices may have lost him a lot of things, but he always admits his mistakes and has learned from them, and he walks on with dignity as he continues to be a better person. I may be a huge fan of the man, but I always felt that the core of him is good.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Woodson to JR smith is what Mickey was to Rocky Balboa gotta love those rocky movies.

Woodson has Jr smith playing up to his full potential offensively and defensively

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I miss the good old days when our coach`s motivational skills were to clap his hands and shout "lets go, lets go, lets go" :thumbsup:

Seriously though, every time I read something about Woodson and the way he is handling this team I am more and more impressed.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I like the way coach Woodson tries to stay in shape! And this team is helping him! :lol:

But this really is great to hear, can't think to a guy that could do a better job than him right now!

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
People tend to forget that the 2009 Nuggets team would NOT have made it to the Western Conference Finals if not for the services of young 6th Man JR Smith. Chauncey & Melo got most of the credit but JR was extremely focused during that playoff run. I can remember him playing solid D against Kobe, making plays for himself and his team mates. The whole package, much like how he is performing for our Knicks. With that said, JR truly is an All-Star talent when his head is in the game.. and Woody should be credited accordingly for that.

But, the way I see it, Melo's play also seems to have an effect on how JR plays. I can remember 2009 Melo was focused and playing the right way, making the right decisions on and off the court. When Melo's head is in the game, JR is focused in as well. When Melo plays unselfish team ball, JR plays smart unselfish ball as well. It happened in 2008-2009 in Denver, and it is happening again in New York. :smokin:

Its been an interesting relationship between JR and Melo, they've been teammates for more than five years now. It seems like they have a big brother, lil brother relationship where JR follows on the foot steps of Melo. I'm rooting for both of them to have career years this year. Hopefully, Woody can keep both of them in top game condition with the help of our reliable vets JKidd, Camby, Felton, KT, and Sheed. Right now sky's the limit for our team and both of these gentlemen. I can't wait to see this season unfold.

Let's go KNICKS!!!

Melo for MVP

JR for Most Improved/ 6th Man of the Year

:gony::gony::gony:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I was so wrong about Swish, I remember I even said we shouldn't resign him after last season. We'd suck if I were the Knicks GM...

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I was so wrong about Swish, I remember I even said we shouldn't resign him after last season. We'd suck if I were the Knicks GM...

Don't be too hard on yourself bro. I think any sane bball fan wouldn't have predicted how good JR would be this season. He was'nt as potent offensively last season for the Knicks last season compared to his time in Denver, and his shot selection was terrible, to say the least. He even admitted that he wasn't 100% dedicated to basketball last year because of NYC's night life. :)

Let's just all be glad that he remained under the radar during free agency. JR and Brewer are huge bargain contracts for the Knicks. :beer:

Last edited: