2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

p0nder

Starter
@NYK_Re: what is the criteria for supercoach? how does Thibs get in there?

I don't think I will consider woodson a supercoach until he's running a dynasty here in NY. I think it's possible and I like what he is doing but I don't know if he will have the staying power or say Pops, Doc or Phil Jackson. I'm willing to overlook the mismatched roster years of ATL if he can find continued success with the knicks over the next few years.

As far as D'antoni making Wodson a great coach: Woodson was a successful headcoach in his own right before he was brought in as a "defensive speacilist" But really he was brought in as successor to D'antoni (should he fail) and to try and help light a fire under d'antoni's ass. Woodson certainly took many things from D'antoni along with his job. This included having to work with his offense last year and this year using a lot of the same fundamental offensive approaches that D'antoni used (3's, floor spacing, open looks early) Woodson still likes to Iso-Melo especially to grind out games or to try and spark melo into full concentrated effort. But you see much less of his iso game then we did in ATL and it's a big improvement in Woodson's coaching style. Mostly I think Woodson learned how to be a better "Player" coach and allows his veterans to have freedom on and off the court which has led to a better chemistry between all the players and coaching staff.

Still, my favorite thing about Woodson is his willingness to get active with the team. He goes out doing laps for limiting turnovers and that's just cool. I think i'm gonna steal that from woodson and use it on some of my players.

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
He's been pretty mediocre these past few games

That's because for as good as he can be, he's also pretty stupid. He won all those games by using a deep rotation and using the whole bench. Then in big games for some unknown reason he leans on his starters until they're gassed and can't pull out the win anymore. It's like he gets scared of big games and spazzes out, which would explain why he's got a track record of choking in the playoffs

skisloper

Starter
That's because for as good as he can be, he's also pretty stupid. He won all those games by using a deep rotation and using the whole bench. Then in big games for some unknown reason he leans on his starters until they're gassed and can't pull out the win anymore. It's like he gets scared of big games and spazzes out, which would explain why he's got a track record of choking in the playoffs

Well said. Woodson coaches scared in the big games. He kind of closes his eyes and prays something will happen. Why in the Nets game does he not play Pablo when Felton was horrible and clearly tired ?
Woodson does this with JR and with a deep bench he needs to be smarter.

metrocard

Legend
Well said. Woodson coaches scared in the big games. He kind of closes his eyes and prays something will happen. Why in the Nets game does he not play Pablo when Felton was horrible and clearly tired ?
Woodson does this with JR and with a deep bench he needs to be smarter.

I notice this also, and it worries me. I just wish he can develop and make these adjustments before we're out of a game like against Memphis. The Melo guarding Gasol and playing PF against a big lineup really killed us.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
WOODY NOT WORRIED ABOUT AWARDS: Some Knicks fans were upset that Brooklyn's Avery Johnson won the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month Award over Mike Woodson on Monday.

But Woodson wasn't too worried about it.

"I'm not into accolades, I'm all about trying to win an NBA title and winning our division and trying to host first round at home when we start the playoffs," Woodson said after Tuesday's practice. "Congratulations to Avery. But it's what it is man, I just like being where we are as a team. That's what it's all about."

F'ing legend.

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Woodson is just awful at coaching this team on offense. What the @#*# is with all the 3-pt shots and nothing on layups and short field goals. Terrible strategy

Kiyaman

Legend
Its time to add an uptempo offense in our performance

I was so wrong about Swish, I remember I even said we shouldn't resign him after last season. We'd suck if I were the Knicks GM...

u was not wrong about swish-Smith .. I would mention why but swish-Smith
buzzer beating shot for the WIN over a 6 losing-streak Bobcats team has a day-off on me.

Our 13-4 record coach Woody have to do something urgent about our consistent
48 minute halfcourt-offense strategy ASAP .. the next 5 games will prove me
right vs Heats, Bulls, Nuggets, Nets, and Lakers.

Without Jason Kidd running the point our Knicks are clueless on pushing
the ball to complete an easy basket in the paint off of a fastbreak.
Red-Flag clues ....
We never see our center or PF running down to the offensive-end to
postup down-low before our oponents could setup their defense.
Our guards are forever walking the ball up the court on every offensive-possession.
When oponents run an uptempo offense on us to score in the paint all our
young players effort to get back on defense seem more aghausted & tiresome
than our Old-Head players.
We have to start running the ball so the body could adapt to the fast
pace uptempo teams in the league like the Clippers, OKC, and Heats.

In our 13-4 record we rarely seen our Knicks score a basket in an uptempo-offense ..
our main uptempo scoring players has been DNP from injuries or given short sputs of playingtime ..
Kidd, Shump, Copeland, Amare, Camby ..
when our main uptempo players are healthy to perform at the start of midseason,
there maybe havoc in the rotation from the players who are fine with sticking
to the 48 minute halfcourt-offense...

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
yo when we sparring?
Come see me
205th and Jerome Ave
World Wide Boxing Gym.

how u doing with that??? have u fought in the gloves or the metros yet?

and yea guys the knicks are taking over 40 3s the last couple of games./.. Woodson really benefited his offensive coahcing gameplan from working under mr prongles... Dantoni is a **** coach but he sure helped woodson

metrocard

Legend
how u doing with that??? have u fought in the gloves or the metros yet?

and yea guys the knicks are taking over 40 3s the last couple of games./.. Woodson really benefited his offensive coahcing gameplan from working under mr prongles... Dantoni is a **** coach but he sure helped woodson

Nah, I'm still novice, I only got 3 fights on my belt. Gonna go for the metros then gloves. I'm skipping this years gloves.

How you been?

Nix

Rookie
Woodson is just awful at coaching this team on offense. What the @#*# is with all the 3-pt shots and nothing on layups and short field goals. Terrible strategy

Awful at coaching offense? 4th in points scored per game and 2nd in three point %. Why wouldnt we be shooting a lot of 3s if we hit them at such a high %. Also whenever he runs a play out of a time out they always work. To say he is awful at coaching offense this season is just plain wrong.

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Awful at coaching offense? 4th in points scored per game and 2nd in three point %. Why wouldnt we be shooting a lot of 3s if we hit them at such a high %. Also whenever he runs a play out of a time out they always work. To say he is awful at coaching offense this season is just plain wrong.

dude try quoting posts that aren't from the stone age

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
http://knicksnow.com/videos/2283/postgame-highlights-interviews-from-friday-s-contest#.UNch1eSPYT1

Check the Woody post game interview, that's the CoY.
applause.gif

p0nder

Starter
So, whats the verdict on Woody? Is 2nd seed in the east with an injury riddled roster good enough for COY? I think Woodson did a great job of utilizing this team and it's strengths while minimizing the weaknesses.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
.679 regular season record while with the Knicks. Woody has done some tremendous job considering all the injuries that affected this team over the course of his tenure. We'll see what he does in the playoffs, anything beyond the 2nd round would be a great success.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Got to hand it to Woody for coaching continuing to coach this injury riddled squad. The results speak for themselves. If you can be a critic than man up and give credit where credit is due.

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
Got to hand it to Woody for coaching continuing to coach this injury riddled squad. The results speak for themselves. If you can be a critic than man up and give credit where credit is due.

The problem is he has a history of changing what got him there when he gets there. Lets see if this time around he learns from past mistakes

Kiyaman

Legend
Did Woody's 80 game coaching backfire in the final 2 games

Something BACKFIRE .. when u are force to run a 6-Man rotation in two straight games to rest only 5 players.
The 2012-13 Knicks 82 game season has the highest inactive list (injury-list) of players in the NBA .. 304
Having an injury-prone team throughout the 82 game season, coach Woodson never took the time to build a cohesive 2nd-unit lineup of 6 players. We had over 30 different starting lineup changes this season.
And at the end of the regular season, we still dont have a favorable starting-lineup for the postseason games.

We had way-way to many regular season games of Tyson / Melo / JR /and Felton putting 40+ minutes of playingtime in one game (Kidd averaging 36 min during Felton injury) .. what made this type of coaching-rotation bad were we gave 4 players 35+ minutes of playingtime verse a lot of mediocre lottery teams, Although we had 4 to 6 players on the injury-list each game, we always had an average of 5 to 6 healthy bench-players wanting some decent playingtime sitting on the bench the majority of each game .. Camby, Kurt, Amare, Copeland, Novak, Brewer, White, and Prigioni.

It didnt sound right when they announce after the Charlotte Bobcats game that 5 Knicks players had "Career-Highs" in minutes played (41+) .. Prigioni, Shump, White, Novak, Copeland. Players that average 8 to 15 minutes of playingtime on the NBA number -1 injury-prone team.

The last time we played the bottom-lottery Bobcats team (March 29th), we gave 4 Knicks players 36+ minutes why??? so Melo could take 28 shot attempts, and JR could take 18 shots attempts, while the rest of their teammates average 2 to 3 shot attempts in that game ..... it's selfish green-light performances like that this season vs mediocre bottom lottery teams where Woody let 2 players take 65% of the shot attempts that may explain the huge inactive-list (injury-list) going into the postseason games.

The 2012-13 Knicks season balls-down to Coach Woodson inactive players

At the beginning of the 2012-13 Knicks season I only predicted or had expectation of winning the Atlantic Division Title.
Melo's big EGO has not change towards his teammates...
:smokin::gony: :smokin: