2012-13 Carmelo Anthony Player Performance and News Thread

Who do you think will win the MVP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
That set the stage for Anthony, who finished with 35 points and 13 rebounds, to be the hero, but his 16-footer from the right side went just long.

?That?s the look I wanted,? Anthony said. ?I?ll take that shot all day. Perfect look at it. I missed it. But that?s the look I wanted.?

(NY Post)

I realize it appears that Melo prefers that pull-up jumper from the elbow, more so than taking ball hard to the hoop, when he's in that late-game "clutch" situation. But I wonder if that mindset is b/c of the refs?

Basically, Melo has a 66% chance of something bad happening if he drives to the basketball.

More than any star, they seem to call an inordinate amount of offensive fouls on Anthony. He got space using his elbow last night and was called for the foul. Deron did the same thing, even wound up and brought the elbow down hard, then even used arm to seal defender as he drove around Felton's body before making a pass... a clearly worse offense than Carmelo... no foul.

And if a foul isn't called on Carmelo, he risks a flop to help amplify the effect, in order to get a call...

But even if that's ignored, then Carmelo realizes he's (most likely) going to get contact. Maybe not hammered, but enough hard contact somewhere to his body, which would be a foul to most stars, but will probably be ignored by the refs, and will definitely alter the shot attempt in some capacity.

Normally, if a star drives and a defensive player even swipes at the star as he drives, a whistle blows. In Anthony's case, they can shove the back, tug on his shorts, bang his body, do whatnot...

In other words, it's safer and less risk to just fake the penetration and pull-up. Now this poses a problem, b/c late in games Carmelo doesn't always have his legs.

We saw it in Dallas, then again against the Nets. Both games were the 2nd of back-to-back games (in consecutive nights). Tired legs, fear of bad stuff happening on the drive, equals 2 Ls.

Safest play is for Melo to drive to hoop, or be fed ball in post, use his body to draw the foul, & then swish the FTs.
He wont get the call once he attacks..... or the refs will call an offensive foul on melo. Pick your poison, melo just doesn't get the star calls that he should be getting.

deamon

Benchwarmer
He fails in crunch against good defenders like Marion or Crash.
And for sure Melo has to be consistent in playing some pressing in defense.
He has to step up, if he wants to be one of the TOP 10 players in this league.

Rob Low

Rotation player
He fails in crunch against good defenders like Marion or Crash.
And for sure Melo has to be consistent in playing some pressing in defense.
He has to step up, if he wants to be one of the TOP 10 players in this league.

He's hit game winners on Marion, Deng, and Tony Allen. Stop making up things based on 2 games, you have no idea what you're talking about

CA7

Scoring Champ
Melo is shooting 45% from 3pt. Is this sustainable? Can he keep it at 39-40%?

its sustainable because their open 3's, once he starts jacking off the dribble it'll drop but if he stays patient from 3 and continues to work the mid-post to paint then he'll be fine, when STAT comes back and opens up the floor for Carmelo/JR/Novak/Kidd/Felton oh god :smokin:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Novakaine: Melo Best In League Right Now.

Carmelo Anthony has found out that the New York fans and media will be the first to boo him when he plays poorly, and the first to applaud him when he is playing well. Unfortunately for him, until this year, he had received more criticism than applause in his time as a Knick.

image.JPG

So far this year, the Knicks have been a pleasant surprise, and Melo has been a big reason why. He?s averaging over 26 points and 7 rebounds per game, and Knicks fans are loving it. Steve Novak is loving it as well, and has some high praise for his teammate. Via Real GM:

Carmelo Anthony heard chants of ?MVP? from the Madison Square Garden crowd Sunday in a victory over the Phoenix Suns and Steve Novak echoed the sentiment.

?I think the way Carmelo?s been playing (pause), I mean he?s the best player in the league right now,? said Novak while discussing New York?s 18-1 home record under coach Mike Woodson.

Carmelo Anthony is certainly one of the most polarizing players in the league; you either think he?s one of the few best players in the league, or you think he?s more of an overrated talent. He has caught a lot of criticism over the years for his lack of defensive effort and his isolation style of offense that often takes his teammates out of the game.

Novak is supporting his teammate, but it?s hard to believe his words with guys like LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Dwight Howard in the league.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Novak of course is just supporting the team leader as he should, Carmelo is playing very impressive this year.. the guy is diving on the floor for balls (pause) , playing defense, rebounding and moving the ball fairly well.

Carmelo the best player in the league right now? it's debatable everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Durants really tearing $hit up right now as well.

KingCharles34

All Star
Why are they acting like Dwights been up there with Bron, Durant, and Melo? Kobe Bryant would be a better fit...I mean Dwights been good but I think Bron, Durant, Melo and Kobe have all made a bigger impact for their teams.

In my opinion its hard to argue that anyones better then Lebron at this point. Melo's been great though, Novak is a very intelligent guy and i think he just really appreciates having guys on the team that help him get open and hit 3's. He probably never thought he'd have the contract he has now

Sage

Rotation player
If Melo continues to play like he has and the Knicks are a top seed and likely to make a deep run, he should absolutely be in the conversation.

However as MVP voting is more on reputation, team performance and popularity than actually stats (I'm not saying they don't count, but it's not a mathematical system for MVP, it's a vote), Melo will probably finish 3rd behind Lebron and Durrant.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Most valuable player and Best Player in NBA are not synonymous

Melo is one by not the other,just like Rose was one but not the other when he got MVP

Best Player in The League is Lebron and will be for a while moving forward(like him or not)

Melo is the Most Valuable player to his team so far this season, if he sustains this level of play and we keep winning he'll end the season as MVP(let's see if they actually give a Knick that award!)

In terms of order of best....all I'll say is he is sure as heck better than ESPN's 21st ranking!

Keep killing them Melo

CA7

Scoring Champ
LeBron
Carmelo/Durant
Durant/Carmelo

top 3 players in the league, Durant/Carmelo is debatable depending on who you ask I say 60/40 Durant

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
LeBron might as well win MVP every year then.

However thats not the case. But I'll trade season MVP for a Finals MVP :smokin:

Rob Low

Rotation player
I think Melo is the MVP so far and he's better than Durant and Howard. He's the second best player in the league right now after Lebron in my opinion

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Melo gets EC Player Of The Week honours.

anthony.png

Anthony helped lead the Knicks to a 3-1 mark, averaging a league-best 29.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.3 blocks. Anthony scored over 30 points in two contests. In New York?s 106-99 home victory over the Phoenix Suns on Dec. 2, Anthony scored a game-high 34 points, and added six rebounds, two assists, two blocks and a steal. :peace:

Well deserved! They're some amazing numbers, Melo.

Anything to say about that, Kiyaman?