2012-13 Carmelo Anthony Player Performance and News Thread

Who do you think will win the MVP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingCharles34

All Star
No homillz but Carmelo looks amazing this year. You can tell he put alotta hard work into his body, I dont know if I've ever seen him look this good. You have to be in GREAT shape to be able to play defense and offense for a full game. He looks ready

KingCharles34

All Star
I saw this yesterday. The writer of the article sounds a little biased against Carmelo but if its true then it wasn't the right way for Melo to go about his business.

At the same time O Antoni is gone and we have 2 new point guards that it takes a week for them to turn the ball over as much as Jeremy Lin did in 1.5 games

So what sounds like a back handed snake move might prove to be a very good thing for this franchise. Im still not sure if I believe this especially with BSPN being the source. Where hating on the Knicks happens (ESPN would like to think Prokherov and Jay-Z for all the money they've received)(Go NETS!!)(Knicks Suck Ass!!)

metrocard

Legend
No homillz but Carmelo looks amazing this year. You can tell he put alotta hard work into his body, I dont know if I've ever seen him look this good. You have to be in GREAT shape to be able to play defense and offense for a full game. He looks ready

If Melo can bring strong man to man defense this year, he'll be a top 5 candidate for MVP easily. I can't see Melo averaging less than 25 points per game this season, add that with 6 rebounds and 4 assist.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Great find, i wish Amare was available for pre-season games, i know him and Melo had a full training camp but i think they need some full 48mins in game action against other teams. I guess everything will work out in the end

STAT is playing this weekend

p.s. Melo borrowed STAT's jacket in your sig

TheScowl

Rookie
I think whoever you are, you need to be surrounded by talent to reach the top. Kareem won one early, but struggled for years until Magic arrived. LeBron couldn't get it done until he joined forces with Wade. Even Jordan didn't make the finals until Pippen emerged.

I see a good parallel between Carmelo and Paul Pierce, because they are both scorers first and foremost. I think they both can handle alpha dog on the offensive end, but Pierce was at his best with KG in the middle (esp. on the defensive end), Allen's outside threat and Rondo orchestrating the offense.

Can we get that kind of balance with Chandler and our point guards? They are not in that category as far as I can see. The real problem is where Amare fits in. That's the real question.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I think whoever you are, you need to be surrounded by talent to reach the top. Kareem won one early, but struggled for years until Magic arrived. LeBron couldn't get it done until he joined forces with Wade. Even Jordan didn't make the finals until Pippen emerged.

I see a good parallel between Carmelo and Paul Pierce, because they are both scorers first and foremost. I think they both can handle alpha dog on the offensive end, but Pierce was at his best with KG in the middle (esp. on the defensive end), Allen's outside threat and Rondo orchestrating the offense.

Can we get that kind of balance with Chandler and our point guards? They are not in that category as far as I can see. The real problem is where Amare fits in. That's the real question.

Amare made his name as a primary scorer, same as Melo that's where there will be issues. When alpha dogs get together, one of them has to take a back seat....ala the Celtics. Like you said, Pierce, KG and Allen knew their roles, knew their goals, knew what it was like to be a #1 without much help. They sacrificed their stats for that ring. I think if the PG's, and Woodson gets on board with the notion that Melo is the #1 option in the 4th, they should be able to take off. PG's will run the offense the first 3 quarters, less dependent on Melo saving his legs for the last 5 minutes. We have enough guns out there to save his legs.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Im glad Carmelo got his way because we will be a better team now.

Honestly before this season our rosters were imbalanced messes.

We went into last season with no bench and no guards. Its amazing how much we progressed. This is finally a time where we are well equipped enough to win a series in the playoffs and get a high seed. No more D'Antoni/Lin .500 basketball. We are better than that now.

Melo is not a leader not because of him being soft or soft spoken but because growing up in B-More you cant just run your mouth at guys and not scruffle or get shot.

If you notice throughout history most of the inner city stars were either head cases or lacked leadership at all, because their way of life growing up dictated how they communicate with one another.

If Melo yelled at someone it led to confrontation, so in the NBA he is around grown men and he doesnt understand how to get in someones ass without coming off sounding like he wants to brawl.

Leadership sometimes is lacking due to your upbringing and not your hesitation to speak up.

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
Melo is not a leader not because of him being soft or soft spoken but because growing up in B-More you cant just run your mouth at guys and not scruffle or get shot.

If you notice throughout history most of the inner city stars were either head cases or lacked leadership at all, because their way of life growing up dictated how they communicate with one another.

If Melo yelled at someone it led to confrontation, so in the NBA he is around grown men and he doesnt understand how to get in someones ass without coming off sounding like he wants to brawl.

Leadership sometimes is lacking due to your upbringing and not your hesitation to speak up.

I know what you're trying to say, it just sounds very ignorant in this context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingCharles34

All Star

Thats an interesting theory, cant say i agree or disagree with this. I guess i gotta think about it more. Why is Carmelo not a leader, and by leader we mean a Kobe, Jordan, Bird, and Bron type.

I dont think he loves the game enough to be a great leader. I dont think he has the same drive that these other players have, his personality is naturally less intense. And this is not criticism, its reality. The Knicks front office knew what they were getting when they got Melo and sometimes you cant make someone something their not. Thats ultimately up to Carmelo and we will see what he does this year.

So i guess i dont really agree with your theory Big Apple Sports. Baltimores a very mean place but I think Melo has put all that behind him. He doesnt look like someone thats worried about getting jumped on the court. He seems to laugh at alotta things out there, last night they called a foul on fields when he was guarding Carmelo and I saw Melo laughing after the foul was called. He laughs at little things like this all the time where as i think Kobe and even Lebron are more serious on the court

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Carmelo Anthony: The league's biggest mismatch @ the 4.

10914843-large.jpg

The 3? The 4?

I went back through Melo's impeccable run playing PF last season, in that amazing April in which he was toted EC Player of the Month, just to make a point.

Whilst playing at the power forward position in April '12.

※ Dropped a stellar 39, 10, 2, 2 steals and a blocked shot in Indiana, April 3.

※ Dropped a lackadaisical 19, 8 and 3 in 28 minutes in Orlando, April 5.

※ Destroyed Chicago for 43, 7, 3, 1 steal and 1 swat on April 8.

※ On April 10, 2012 Carmelo Anthony scored 29, 2, 5 and 3 steals in a loss to Chicago, April 10.

※ Melo scored 32, 10, 2 and a block V Milwaukee, April 11.

※ The Beast on the Block scored 18 points, 5 boards a steal and a block in a demoralising victory against the Wiz, April 13.

※ 42, 9, 5 and a steal in a loss to the cHeat, April 15.

※ On April 17, Melo scorched the Celtic f*ggots for 35, 12, 10 and 2 steals @ MSG. His 2nd ever career triple dip.

★ It's seriously worth another look.

※ April 18, 33, 7, 4 and a steal in a 104-95 win over the Nyets.

※ Had a steaming pile of sh*t game V Cleveland Cavaliers on April 20: 12 points, in the most dampening loss of the season.

※ Came soaring back V Atlanta in the next game, April 22, dropping 39, 10, 2 and 2 pilfers. I remember him ripping down the decisive defensive rebound to seal the victory, as well.

● He would no doubt have even topped these numbers, though some of us may forgotten, he only played 28 minutes in an impressive NYK win over the Los Angeles Clippers, and 29 minutes in the April 13th thumping of the Washington Wizards.

● He was a mismatch nightmare for every team, as his combination of fleet feet, range and strength tore up every opponent, and made the ball movement seem almost effortless at times, even as the primary option.

628x471.jpg

Final Point. It's a standout!

In 13 games starting at power forward last season (during STAT's absence, naturally), Melo averaged 30 points per 36 minutes on 50.5 percent shooting. The Knicks' offensive rating with Anthony at power forward was 108.9.

In 42 games at small forward, Anthony averaged 21.8 points per 36 minutes on 40.1 percent shooting and the Knicks' offensive rating (a measure of points scored per 100 possessions) was 100.4.

However, this is what Melo had to say in regard to his preferred position on the court - "Right now, we have guys in that position. We want to keep it like that," Anthony said Monday when asked about playing more power forward this year. "I'd rather play my natural position then go down there and play the 4, the 5 and things that I don't really want to do. So with the guys that we have now, I find that we're definitely that much more effective."

When asked if he meant that, as long as his teammates remain healthy, his preference is to play the wing, Anthony said, "Absolutely."

Last edited:

fender0577

Rotation player
While i agree with your post, i think playing at the PF for the entire season, would wear him down, by having to guard bigger guys every night.We gotta start looking for ways to get rid of Amare, period.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
No one's saying 'for the entire season', but the numbers very plainly make the case for him as a player, and for the offensive efficiency the team garners with him at the PF.

fender0577

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;251229 said:
No one's saying 'for the entire season', but the numbers very plainly make the case for him as a player, and for the offensive efficiency the team garners with him at the PF.
No, i agree with you totally, you made a great case, but i'm just saying, only i certain situations.God knows Amare is finished.