Who do you want the Knicks FO to sign to complete the roster?

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I think Ewing should be hired as an assistant to work with the big men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this would be great now that Atkinson looks headed to Atlanta. I'm sure he would do wonders for getting our front court on the same page. If they ever worked as well as they look on paper, we would be legit contenders right up there with the best.

finestrg

Rotation player
We better have at least reached out to DJ White and his representation. All I ask...He's 10X the player Lou Amundson is. Better player than Birdman Andersen too if you ask me. Even if White and his agent say no way to a vet minimum deal at first -- no problem. You at least express the interest and show the love. Things could change -- the market could dry up as training camp approaches. Nobody may want White at more than the vet min. as time goes on..Then maybe he calls us -- maybe then he changes his mind about the Knicks for the minimum at that time...We at least gotta put it put there that we like him. Hopefully we've done that. I appreciate the hustle/scrappy play of Lou Amundson and Chris Andersen, I just think we could do better. I'd want a more skilled player behind Amar'e -- someone who could step in and continue to provide some scoring at that position in case STAT ever went down.

CA7

Scoring Champ
We need to add Jay Triano to design our offense, I think he works with Team USA and add either Kenyon Martin, DJ White or a Udonis Haslem type 4

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
shooting 2 guard

I think we need another 2 guard who can shoot the 3 to spread the floor. Brewer's not cutting it, and shump was barely coming on as a reliable outside shooter before he went down. JR's erratic, though he can be great. Not sure who's out there...

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I think we need another 2 guard who can shoot the 3 to spread the floor. Brewer's not cutting it, and shump was barely coming on as a reliable outside shooter before he went down. JR's erratic, though he can be great. Not sure who's out there...

Before the Dwight trade I was right there with you on this idea but it happen. JR is the type of player who might miss 2 or 3 in a row but once he sees one fall he could give you 4-8 in a game himself. I want him to stop getting so jump shot happy though, which started when he was in China. In Denver he was catching crazy dunks weekly. He said he's been working on his shot so maybe/hopefully his consistency will rise. Then you have Felton and Kidd who can give you at least 2 a game a piece, then Melo(3-4 a game) and Novak(3-6).

Shump although not a knock down shooter can punish you if open or hot. With his rehab he has been forced to focus on his form with repetition. (shooting from a chair from multiple spots). His shot will get better if its the only thing from last season he can improve.

I think we're good behind that line. Remember come the playoffs the rotations gets cut down. We already have Shump, JR, and Brewer in that position so whoever you get as a shooting 2 prob won't get much time if any in the post-season unless we suffer injuries.

We're really focusing on the playoffs this run and like others have noted before MIA really only had Battier and Chalmers, with just a little help from Cole and Miller. I think it might force us to go inside and slash more which i think we are built better for and what works more in the playoffs.

Chandler and Camby are great defenders but they also have no problem giving up a foul to stop a play for the sake of the team, regardless if they are already in foul trouble or not. You gotta love that but you also gotta protect that. Give them more security because we need those guys on the floor in big games. I'd love to get a big who has some post game but realize that ups the price but a feisty defender and rebounder would suffice for some hard nose blue-collar minutes.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
Simple for me -- Chris Smith should be cut (how much does JR expect outta the Knicks here? Chris got a look in SL and will be brought to training camp but he can't possibly expect his little bro to make the team can he? We have enough PGs, Chris isn't really a PG anyway, just an undersized 2 that's not very good -- you can make a very good case that Toney Douglas is a superior player and as we know, that's not saying too much. We need to fill the spot with a better player) and then we either fill the spot with a PF that can score (I'd like a young/cheap offensive understudy for Amar'e) or another reliable wing shooter. I think an extra PF that can score is more vital -- we will be getting Shump back at some point and I actually think Chris Copeland could be a contributor for us here...Slim pickins' out there given our cap situation but this is who I'd target:

For the shooter, gimme Jamelle Horne (the most well-rounded of these 3 - long, athletic, and he can shoot -- think something similar to Quincy Pondexter, maybe even a tad quicker/more athletic than Q-Pon), Ryan Wittman (the best shooter out there no one's talking about), Adrian Thomas (a very reliable 3-pt shooter in college and the DL). We could make any of these 3 work. Any of these guys would supply solid SG depth..

For the scoring PF I like DJ White..I like Donte Greene as well as a hybrid 3/4 (excellent size, offensive skill, high ceiling, potential) but White feels like the better fit. Too bad we let a few guys go to Europe -- Craig Brackins really would've been perfect, so would Darnell Lazare, a PF that showed a lot in the DL the last 2 yrs (signed a deal to play for Sydney). Even a guy like Herb Pope outta Seton Hall would've been nice. Dude was an excellent rebounder for the Hall his senior yr and he really became a solid offensive player. Pope just signed on to play in Israel a few weeks back..So who's left? Deon Thompson should be considered. So should Mitchell Watt. Did Memphis officially sign that kid? I know they had both Thompson & Watt on their SL roster. Watt's a 6'9"+ lefty PF similar to Josh McRoberts, not quite as big but just as skilled. I'd definitely give that kid a look. Or maybe Marcus Cousin. Cousin's more of a legit C-type but you gotta like the size (6'11"+ 255), he can shoot the hell out of it from mid-range and he's a solid rebounder. All aspects of Cousin's game should translate nicely to the pros. Compared to Jerome Jordan I actually think Cousin's the superior player...Outside of White or Greene (either one of these guys would need to play if we got them), we could stash any of these others in the DL to get experience and then call them up if and when the need arises.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
yes to Jorts, but where's this "probably" coming from? your butt?
:2cents:
His contract became guaranteed on Aug 15 and Houston has 20 guys on the roster with about 8 PFs so he was likely to go. You're a mod you need to chill with the butt cracks and there's no need to start threads for Jorts comments.

The Rockets BBS has an Appreciation thread for Jorts and he never sniffed the floor for the Rox.

CoolClyde

His contract became guaranteed on Aug 15 and Houston has 20 guys on the roster with about 8 PFs so he was likely to go. You're a mod you need to chill with the butt cracks and there's no need to start threads for Jorts comments.

The Rockets BBS has an Appreciation thread for Jorts and he never sniffed the floor for the Rox.

you're a genius. i can make as many butt cracks as i want, you need the clean the sand outta your vag.
and who's starting Jorts threads? dick.

Last edited:

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
Before the Dwight trade I was right there with you on this idea but it happen. JR is the type of player who might miss 2 or 3 in a row but once he sees one fall he could give you 4-8 in a game himself. I want him to stop getting so jump shot happy though, which started when he was in China. In Denver he was catching crazy dunks weekly. He said he's been working on his shot so maybe/hopefully his consistency will rise. Then you have Felton and Kidd who can give you at least 2 a game a piece, then Melo(3-4 a game) and Novak(3-6).

Shump although not a knock down shooter can punish you if open or hot. With his rehab he has been forced to focus on his form with repetition. (shooting from a chair from multiple spots). His shot will get better if its the only thing from last season he can improve.

I think we're good behind that line. Remember come the playoffs the rotations gets cut down. We already have Shump, JR, and Brewer in that position so whoever you get as a shooting 2 prob won't get much time if any in the post-season unless we suffer injuries.

We're really focusing on the playoffs this run and like others have noted before MIA really only had Battier and Chalmers, with just a little help from Cole and Miller. I think it might force us to go inside and slash more which i think we are built better for and what works more in the playoffs.

Chandler and Camby are great defenders but they also have no problem giving up a foul to stop a play for the sake of the team, regardless if they are already in foul trouble or not. You gotta love that but you also gotta protect that. Give them more security because we need those guys on the floor in big games. I'd love to get a big who has some post game but realize that ups the price but a feisty defender and rebounder would suffice for some hard nose blue-collar minutes.

Thanks for the response and insights.

I agree that we could use another athletic/scoring big to backup Amar'e at the 4-spot. I feel great about Chandler/Camby/Thomas at the 5 spot, but we could definitely use a more pure power-forward coming off the bench.

I think last year as a team we shot the three okay, but the problem was most of the 3-point production was coming off the bench with JR and Novak coming in together. I would have liked to see JR starting at the 2 to help spread the floor so Amare and Carmelo could have more room to work down low. However, then we wouldn't have anyone who can create off the dribble coming off the bench.

I too am hopeful Shump will improve his outside shooting. I definitely think he has the potential to be the SG of the future, and expect him to be a better shooter going forward. But until he comes back, I would still feel more comfortable having someone who can spread the floor at the 2. Who will be the starting 2 at this point? I assume Felton will be the starting PG and Kidd will back him up off the bench. I still think the 2 is where we have the least talent overall. And I'm not a JR hater - I think if he can improve his consistency, he could be a really good player off the bench, especially since he seems to respond well to Woodson. Having said all this, I'd be ok going to battle with the roster more or less as is. I think our front line is pretty stacked and we should be a great rebounding/defensive team which should pay in the playoffs.