How does the NYK back court measure up to Eastern rivals?

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;246884 said:
I see what you're saying there, and you're right. I should have elaborated, but I still see some question marks looming above the Knicks' back-court, mostly in regard to individual scoring, but also re individual defence (that's how you spell defense where I'm from). A lot of question marks hang over Indiana's back-court as you eluded to nicely.

I don't see there being a list of comprehensive reasoning behind certain/likely failure for the Knicks' back-court, but there's certainly no list of definite pluses or definite and positive prognosis; hence the thread.

I definitely don't have any reservations about this Knicks' back-court's potential to be very good. I'm somewhat concerned about the shooting. Felton, in particular, will have to have a good shooting season that far eclipses his 40% FG and 30% 3FG from that horrible season in Portland last year. Obviously, a reliable 3 point shot will have the spacing advantages this team can't afford to lose, as evidenced by last season. Kidd much the same, as his penetration game has inevitably dipped with age.

Prigioni is a question mark, but is probably our most reliable back-court threat from the arc. Did you see him shoot in the Olympics? Crisp!
Great post! I'm from Gold Coast, Australia so we spell it defence as well, the autocorrect always changes it back to the US version so I just gave up changing it.

I'm not all that worried about our shooting from our back court. I really do expect them to have WIDE open looks. Felton, Smith and even Brewer are truly capable of penetrating and drawing the defence in. Coupled with the fact what Melo and Stat will be doubled at times and this creates plenty of open looks. Im pretty confident that Felton will be a man on a mission this season and i'm confident that Kidd, Smith, Felton & Prigioni will be able to hit the 3 if open.

I did catch Pablo play in the Olympics! He is a great 3 point shooter! He doesn't shoot all that much but is swishin when open. I think he will hold his own against opposition reserve guards on D and believe he will be able to penetrate against the non-elite PG's of the league.

Kiyaman

Legend
The best offense comes from the defense in the backcourt

Shump wont be Shump untill the 2013-14 season
Rose wont be MVP Rose untill the 2013-14 season

I have to agree with "OldTimer" on the Knicks backcourt situation ..
we are workin with 3 PG and 2 SG in Kidd/Felton/Pablo .. Brewer/Smith

The Eastern Conference has 4 teams to measure Knicks backcourt against ..
the 5 teams mention below are dependent on their backcourt to have an above .500 record.

1) Miami Heat has the best consistant elite backcourt in the NBA, and with
the addition of a healthy Ray Allen we talking HOF backcourt.

2) Brooklyn Nets put together the 2nd elite backcourt tandem in the East ..
Deron & Johnson elite skills are improving their teammates performance.
Deron & Marshal Brooks vs CJ Watson & Joe Johnson rotation.

3) Indiana Pacers has a lethal backcourt rotation that can change the
game momentum in their favor vs some of the league best oponents ..
Collison as a starter or 6th man is lethal in a rotation with Paul George/George Hill/Lance/and Barbosa.

4) Boston Celtics backcourt of Rondo/Terry may become the most anticipated backcourt to watch ..
having a healthy Daniels/Lee/Pietrus and some decent rookie guards for
their rotation puts Boston backcourt the team to beat.

5) Chicago Bulls backcourt will be another big suprise with Kentucky NCAA
Championship PG-Marquis Teague speed and passin-skills to bigmen ..
having 2 combo-guards in Hinrich/Nate with shooters Bellinelli/Rip in the
backcourt rotation will suprise fans & oponents.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Wealth for toil!

Great post! I'm from Gold Coast, Australia so we spell it defence as well, the autocorrect always changes it back to the US version so I just gave up changing it.

Ah, well there you go. I'm from Tazzie. Couldn't handle writing the unaccustomed way, so I flipped my PC back to original English.

I'm not all that worried about our shooting from our back court. I really do expect them to have WIDE open looks. Felton, Smith and even Brewer are truly capable of penetrating and drawing the defence in. Coupled with the fact what Melo and Stat will be doubled at times and this creates plenty of open looks. Im pretty confident that Felton will be a man on a mission this season and i'm confident that Kidd, Smith, Felton & Prigioni will be able to hit the 3 if open.

I tentatively agree. Bit of a perfect world scenario. Where will Felton, who IMO is the biggest piece of the supporting puzzle, find his nich? anywhere other than on the perimeter, with any real sense of repetition or definition? It's all there in the mind, but how effective will it be and how long will it take to circumvent the inevitable adjustment period? We have a very tough opening month. Moreover, is he still capable? Not an unfair question, IMO.

I did catch Pablo play in the Olympics! He is a great 3 point shooter! He doesn't shoot all that much but is swishin when open. I think he will hold his own against opposition reserve guards on D and believe he will be able to penetrate against the non-elite PG's of the league.

●Pablo could definitely catch some people at unawares this year, I think. Lead his Euro league in SPG last season, and played some good, Euro help D in the olympics. He will have to adjust.

●Brewer, to me, is a bit of a head scratcher until 20 odd games in.

●I doubt we'll see ANY adjustment to JR's game. Some playmaking/P&D are heavily lacking from JR. I like his D, however, but it's as sporadic as his O.

●Kidd, I think, will play basically the exact same role as in Dallas. Naturally, he'll have a new set of requirements in both units, with STAT - who's incomparable to anything in Dallas - and a far less dependable 2. He'll have Chandler setting picks for him, STAT on occasion. Tyson's definitely the better P&R setter.

I sought of agree with oldtimer too. But our backcourt will get theirs because most of the attention will be on the frontcourt. I see a bunch of dimes, and uncontested shots (due to double teams). If Woody installs D-fence....fastbreaks and steals will also end as highlights. Our guards are just in a good situation...and i think they recognize this and will capitalize on it. The nets guards will be looked to carry their team...different predicament offers different.results.