ESPN Player Rankings

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Its funny All-NBA 3rd team and he's the 17th best player in the league, according to the votes for All-NBA he was #12

Does anyone give a f*ck what BSPN say?

Even if it's a 5 spot margin, all Melo has to do is stay focused throughout all aspects of the game, and then a number 12 rank before next season will look like a snub.

He should aim for MVP. What makes him incapable of that? Himself alone.

Gimme 25, 8 and 6 with some D, Melo. You'll get the respect you're capable of in turn with the numbers you're capable of, but have not yet necessarily earned throughout your tenure as a Knick.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Crazy⑧s;248389 said:
Does anyone give a f*ck what BSPN say?

Even if it's a 5 spot margin, all Melo has to do is stay focused throughout all aspects of the game, and then a number 12 rank before next season will look like a snub.

He should aim for MVP. What makes him incapable of that? Himself alone.

Gimme 25, 8 and 6 with some D, Melo. You'll get the respect you're capable of in turn with the numbers you're capable of, but have not yet necessarily earned throughout your tenure as a Knick.

according to the masses if Melo did that he still wouldn't be on par with LeBron or Durant

smh this man cant win

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
according to the masses if Melo did that he still wouldn't be on par with LeBron or Durant

smh this man cant win

Oh, he can top Durant. Don't see a definitive gap between their games right now, just Durant didn't have a start to the season like Melo did last year.

Melo's the better distributor of the ball, and in adding to his game as a P&D player, Durant will have some catching up to do.

※There's not a player in this league as of right now that can claim a bid to being on par with Lebron James.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Crazy⑧s;248391 said:
Oh, he can top Durant. Don't see a definitive gap between their games right now, just Durant didn't have a start to the season like Melo did last year.

Melo's the better distributor of the ball, and in adding to his game as a P&D player, Durant will have some catching up to do.

※There's not a player in this league as of right now that can claim a bid to being on par with Lebron James.

I agree but the masses 8's the masses are unbelievable when it comes to doubting our guy

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If he made more of a commitment to playing D and became more efficient offensively Melo'd be in the top 10. Not surprised by ESPN's take.

Kiyaman

Legend
More than just scoring are used to rank players in the league ....

Serge Ibaka being a RFA this offseason were a good case between NBA-ranking, and team-ranking for salary .. Ibaka receive 6 yrs at $12.2M per.
Did Ibaka deserve more or less?

The Knicks roster will have 10 players under-contract that NBA ranking is above 125 to start the 2012-13 season. And this NBA ranking will not stop these Knicks players from winning the Atlantic Division Title .. So F ESPN ranking

#471 James White
#437 Pablo Prigioni
#325 Kurt Thomas
#176 Steve Novak
#173 Raymond Felton
#167 Ronnie Brewer
#157 Jason Kidd
#138 Iman Shumpert
#132 JR Smith
#127 Marcus Camby
#43 Stat
#23 Tyson Chandler

We need to stop forgetting the CHAOS a franchise-player cause in the league between hungry NBA teams when this player demands to be traded, especially in a final contract season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Is there a difference between a high-scorer-player and a offensive-player?
HELL YEAH!

We all know Melo & Stat are high-scorer players.

We should all know that Jason Kidd, CP3, Joe Johnson, Pierce, Ginobli, Terry, Ruben, Odom, Rondo, Marion, Harden, Granger, Wade, and Lebron are all offensive-players that screens for teammates plus accumulate a high amount of dimes within a season.

Big Difference...

CA7

Scoring Champ
HELL YEAH!

We should all know that Jason Kidd, CP3, Joe Johnson, Pierce, Ginobli, Terry, Ruben, Odom, Rondo, Marion, Harden, Granger, Wade, and Lebron are all offensive-players that screens for teammates plus accumulate a high amount of dimes within a season.

Big Difference...

im done :barf:

KingCharles34

All Star
If Melo doesn't lead the Knicks pass the first round this season do you still have him at top 5-10?
Let me be the first to say Im not even sure if Id have him top 15. Theres no excuse at all with this team, even if Stats garbage again its 2nd round or bust. If Stat plays well Id have to raise my expectations even higher, 3rd round or bust depending on who we play in the 2nd round. Only if its the Heat would i give Melo and the Knicks a pass, we can't lose to the Celtics again.

KingCharles34

All Star
HELL YEAH!

Big Difference...

Im assuming Carmelo must average more assists then a few players you listed, Marion and Granger stand out to me. Not sure though....but u have a point about setting screens for his teammates, Id like to see him do that more. While his team offense is not as bad as some posters say it is, it could improve.

metrocard

Legend
I think if Shump gives us a good strong 2nd half, that would basically make this a 55 win team.

Kidd, Brewer, Chandler, Camby, Thomas all have A level defense.

Prigioni was basically an A level defender in Europe and FIBA, may become a B level defender.

JR Smith can play defense when focused, makes steals and stops.

The defense is very strong within this team. Offense will come if we can take smart shots (Feed Chandler, hit Novak when he's open, get Amare and Melo involved in the pick and roll and on easy fast break scores)

Hopefully Melo-ball dies and we incorporate a Dallas like offense to win games, not get into neck and neck games and win or lose(most of the time) in close games...I'm tired of that so tired of that...

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree but the masses 8's the masses are unbelievable when it comes to doubting our guy

u need to stop making Melo out to be something he's not.
T-Mac had 7 straight seasons of being a top-3 high-scorer.
Dolan offered Melo the torch to lead this Knicks team.
What pissed me off .. was Melo took it .. we went 8-15 with ISO-Melo.

CA7....u shock me .. i thought KO would be getting some great input from u this season, but how? when your comments show u are clueless of why management added so many playoff experience veterans to the roster.

Reactions: CA7

KingCharles34

All Star
What do u expect Kiyaman, basketballs a business now. And what team wouldnt wanna load up with playoff experienced veterans? Maybe some of the old guys were better then some of the young guys, and maybe like Clyde said we only have a 2 year window between all these old guys and Amarknee's knees

CA7

Scoring Champ
u need to stop making Melo out to be something he's not.
T-Mac had 7 straight seasons of being a top-3 high-scorer.
Dolan offered Melo the torch to lead this Knicks team.
What pissed me off .. was Melo took it .. we went 8-15 with ISO-Melo.

CA7....u shock me .. i thought KO would be getting some great input from u this season, but how? when your comments show u are clueless of why management added so many playoff experience veterans to the roster.

Making him out to be something he's not

I seen ISO-Melo consistently score in an uptempo system in Denver for years. And when the playoffs came almost every year his team dealt with injuries even in New York. He played like **** some of the times but thats what happen when you dont have a legit #2 option.

And what do you mean I'm clueless to why management added so many playoff experienced veterans. I cant judge how our team looks until I see them play, did that last year and was completely wrong.

What I do know is Carmelo was used properly under Woodson and we seen the player he can be. He score efficiently, rebounded, got teammates involved, defended and was a leader on the court. If we get that Carmelo all year in my eyes he's a top 5 player why? because thats more than Durant or Dirk do, guys who only score yet are top 2 and top 10 players but Carmelo isn't. Its bull**** the way the media spins this ****. Blake Griffin top 10, Deron Williams shot 41% and was on a lottery team and is top 10, come on Kiya you know the media and some fan bases are highly under rating him. Was his a bum most of last year yes, was he hurt most of last year, STAT was hurt, Chandler got sick in the playoffs, Novak couldn't get open, Baron and Shump went down but EVERYTHING BAD THAT HAPPEN WAS CARMELO'S FAULT.

I'm sick of hearing that bull**** from people and I know he will prove to be a team player, consistent scorer, rebounder and defender. And our team will step up but I wont make assumptions about team success because we still dont know how we're going to look on the court.

Thats some insight for ya ass :gony:

metrocard

Legend
You said the same thing the season before.

Melo can't be compared to Dirk or Durant. These guy's lead their teams to the Finals, Dirk won a championship with one of the most amazing playoff performances of all time. Dirk takes difficult shots and make them at a much higher percentage than Melo. Durant is just 23 and will eventually appear in the Finals basically as many times as he chooses. Durant's ability go beyond the numbers actually when you think about it. A 6"11 SG/SF/PF Hybrid who can score from anywhere efficiently and get to the FT line with overall ability and can play off the ball. He's just on another level.

and Deron Williams is underrated. He's been neck and neck with Chris Paul (even though Paul is better) but Deron made Utah relevant and is the perfect blend between scoring, passing and defense. Respect his game and we know for certain Knicks would of been a better overall team led by Deron over Melo.

Kiyaman

Legend
What do u expect Kiyaman, basketballs a business now. And what team wouldnt wanna load up with playoff experienced veterans? Maybe some of the old guys were better then some of the young guys, and maybe like Clyde said we only have a 2 year window between all these old guys and Amarknee's knees

u are right, we do have a 2 to 3 year window where we can build a top-contender team with all the method we learn from having 6 veteran players with 9 or more years experience in the NBA to give us maturity in the lockerroom, bench, and on the court.
We added a D.League team to the Knicks organization so we could always have a young fresh apple for the picking during a season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Real Talk ....

You said the same thing the season before.

Melo can't be compared to Dirk or Durant. These guy's lead their teams to the Finals, Dirk won a championship with one of the most amazing playoff performances of all time. Dirk takes difficult shots and make them at a much higher percentage than Melo. Durant is just 23 and will eventually appear in the Finals basically as many times as he chooses. Durant's ability go beyond the numbers actually when you think about it. A 6"11 SG/SF/PF Hybrid who can score from anywhere efficiently and get to the FT line with overall ability and can play off the ball. He's just on another level.

and Deron Williams is underrated. He's been neck and neck with Chris Paul (even though Paul is better) but Deron made Utah relevant and is the perfect blend between scoring, passing and defense. Respect his game and we know for certain Knicks would of been a better overall team led by Deron over Melo.

:agreed:
Metro.... talkin that talk .. u get 3 thumbs-up from me
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

p0nder

Starter
Melo will be judged on his team success from here on out, not his individual stats. I hope he understands this now as before it seemed like he just wanted to get his and that was that. If he is unable to bring the chip home then he will be considered a failure.

He has to know the score at this point and look forward to him proving to people that he can be the team leader and team facilitator that we need him to be. Does that mean he needs to be a point forward? no. but it does mean he needs to recognize that this team is better and more capable then his Denver teams and it's a different game out east. So he needs to step it up and become the man we need him to be. This BSPN ranking should only serve to motivate him further.

metrocard

Legend
To me, Melo just had to take better shots. He gets wreckless and take's some Jamal Crawfordish type shots that make no sense. Melo is 6"8 235 lbs...wish he played more off the ball like he does in the Olympics instead of choke up the shot clock and take impossible shots.

Rebounding, passing, defense...I don't expect Melo to dominate at these components, he'll fill it up here and there a bit...but I think we'll only be successful if Melo stays efficient as our primary scoring option.