STAT and Melo: Potential, Method, Outcome.

What does STAT have to do most to make this tandem coexist?

• Play inside-outside with Melo.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a better passing game and distribute to Melo.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
What will make it work?

70854-carmelo-anthony-and-amare-stoudemire-have-seen-no-change-to-their-numb.jpg

It's abundantly clear to every one of us as we count down to a season that boasts the best Knicks roster since 1999, that the 2 man game between STAT and Melo will ultimately dictate the outcome of the Knicks offensive woes, or its offensive fulfilment.

Of course, there are many other facets, cogs and kinks that will be capital to success, but it's been apparent for in excess of a season, that this is an offensive tandem with boundless potential. It has, however, remained in a state of dormancy.

Irrefutably, this is the 1-2 punch that'll scare opposing coaches and defences, but how is it that Mike Woodson, Melo and Amar'e will tap in to this oil well of offensive potential?

Melo-Mare.jpg

Who has the best answer to the above question?

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
I think running set plays where they play off each other is key basically Felton sets up the O and we play to our advantage

If we get them going in rhythm it makes the game easier, they aren't role players so we need our role players to make sure STAT and Melo get theirs and STAT and Melo have to be willing to make the extra pass

I would hope to see more pick n roll between the 2 this year as well as both hitting the boards with force

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Not trying to be on the Negative side and i wish i had the answer to this question, but the truth of the matter is Carmelo and Amare are simply not an ideal fit together nor do they compliment each others game. Same can be said with Amare & Chandler

Amare goes out Carmelo's game Sky rockets to his full potential

Chandler goes out and Amare's game opens up

see where i'm going here? our front court looks good on paper but have yet to show any signs of consistent dominance and fluid chemistry while all 3 are on the court together. We will continue to get by off TALENT alone until proven otherwise, but how far exactly can that take us in the playoffs?

With that being said lets transfer over to the positive side of things that have potential to be a blessing in disguise for us, i feel the addition of Kidd will help Carmelo and Amare work out their kinks and help them succeed more efficiently together & i'm hoping Amare's new post game can open up alot of opportunities.

What i would love to see is more Carmelo and Amare P&R's together and more cuts to the basket from Amare & Melo when either receive the ball, from what i witnessed last season there was to much standing around.

skip to 1:14 of this video... i would like to see more of this

Look on the Bright side if all else fails we can completely rebuild in 3 years and we'll have a crap load of money coming off the books

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Things that need to occur

1.Stat needs to regain his mid range shot!: This opens the floor up for Melo and makes it near impossible to double Melo in the post. Stat in the high post puts Melo in the low post and name me a SF (including Lebron) who can bang w Melo in the post

2.Melo has to become better at catch and shoot and coming off screens: Stat is dominate when the ball moves. Amare will improve w his back to the basket this year...but his bread and butter is pick and roll and finishing when his man rotates off of him to double. That all said if Melo simply pounds the ball movement stops and Stat's game is compromised...unless his J is falling like it was in 2010 (point #1 again).

3. Melo the playmaker: This is an underestimated aspect of Melo's game! No reason to think they can't run a 2 man game with each other

Kiyaman

Legend
Good point above .. the negative is who control the PG decision-making? Amare? or Melo?

The positive for Amare vs Melo in a lineup is having a NBA respected decision-making PG like Kidd/Billups/Nash/CP3/Deron to call all the shots on the offensive-end. The highlight PG will show they can win consistantly without Amare & Melo in their lineup if that is what it takes to get the two high-scorers to follow their lead.

Felton favored Amare and himself the last time as a Knicks, teammates Mozgov/Turiaf/Gallo/W.Chandler/Fields/and TD had to create on their own to score under PG-Felton. However, Felton wouldve been the prime SG to tandem with PG-Baron Davis lastseason b/c all our SG had poor passing-skills to get our bigmen (Amare/Tyson) involve in the offense .. I guess thats why Ronnie Brewer is a Gold-Package for us in the 2012-13 season.

Kiyaman

Legend

1.Stat needs to regain his mid range shot!: This opens the floor up for Melo and makes it near impossible to double Melo in the post. Stat in the high post puts Melo in the low post and name me a SF (including Lebron) who can bang w Melo in the post

2.Melo has to become better at catch and shoot and coming off screens: Stat is dominate when the ball moves. Amare will improve w his back to the basket this year...but his bread and butter is pick and roll and finishing when his man rotates off of him to double. That all said if Melo simply pounds the ball movement stops and Stat's game is compromised...unless his J is falling like it was in 2010 (point #1 again).

3. Melo the playmaker: This is an underestimated aspect of Melo's game! No reason to think they can't run a 2 man game with each other

Also....
Melo need to stop standing like a statue when he dont get the ball, his defender always double the PG .. when Melo do get the ball he takes 8 to 12 seconds off the shotclock, which if Melo work on his passing-skills that 8 to 12 seconds could involve 2 to 3 teammates getting touches.

Raymond Felton will be key for these guys to mesh. I am confident that he will show up in training camp in shape and will play even better than he did in his first stint in orange & blue. A full training camp and season will be huge as well.

KingCharles34

All Star
Irrefutably, this is the 1-2 punch that'll scare opposing coaches and defences, but how is it that Mike Woodson, Melo and Amar'e will tap in to this oil well of offensive potential?

I think the wording of your poll question answered this question as well as I could. "What does Stat have to do most..."

Most of the time when this topic is brought up, the question is "What does Melo have to do most"

Carmelo has to do exactly what he did last March and April, and he does need to play a little more defense.

Amare and his fans need to stop blaming Carmelo and man up. I hope Stat takes full responsibility for last year. His decision making on offense had him looking like a D leaguer, his defense was non existent. He was horrible last year, a couple of years ago i wouldnt had imagined Stat being that bad until he was 36 or 37. Anyone that thinks Carmelo is at fault is a coward and probably goes around blaming other people for their own problems as well.

Back to Amare...half his job will already be easier for him now that we have Felton and Kidd. The other half is just staying healthy and working on that mid range jumpshot. I would also love to see more of a 2 man game with Stat and Melo but thats more up to Woodson then anyone else

"

Amare and his fans need to stop blaming Carmelo and man up. I hope Stat takes full responsibility for last year. His decision making on offense had him looking like a D leaguer, his defense was non existent. He was horrible last year, a couple of years ago i wouldnt had imagined Stat being that bad until he was 36 or 37. Anyone that thinks Carmelo is at fault is a coward and probably goes around blaming other people for their own problems as well.

+5000

Stat needs to get his sh*t together. He needs to be a warrior this season. Melo aint going no where for a long time. Its gonna be a long ass time before you see that kinda decline in melos play..

But I love Stat and he had a fuc*ed up season last year so I'm willing to not write him off yet.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Spacing is key here, if Stat can learn to set picks for Melo and keep his jumper consistent, spacing should be much better. Obviously they should be aware of where their team mates are, but should put extra effort into working off each other.

E.g. If Melo has the ball in the post, STAT needs to get open for the jumper and draw a defender away. Likewise, on the fast break STAT is much more effective so Melo should be looking to get open on the perimeter, hopefully drawing a man away. Or just being open for the 3 incase the defence closes and packs the paint.

p0nder

Starter
STAT & Melo have a great opportunity to prove everyone wrong and make it work. They need to be much better then they have been so far in O&B. the thing hat should make it work is having a good pick'n'roll guard in Felton and decent 3pt options surrounding them. As above, spacing is the issue and PG play will set that up. Also a big part of this is what Tyson Chandler needs to do, which is get rebounds and get the **** out the way on offense.

STAT is gonna come back for a huge year, MELO has never been more hungry to win and I think tat they will put it all together finally.

Simple. Play Melo near the wing and have Amare and Tyson move in and out of the paint. With Melo around the wing he?ll have options for dimes when the front court is active around the post and/or the front court is spread out around the perimeter?in the least it gives promise to his Iso game and will create big problems for defenders if he?s double team.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Simple. Play Melo near the wing and have Amare and Tyson move in and out of the paint. With Melo around the wing he?ll have options for dimes when the front court is active around the post and/or the front court is spread out around the perimeter?in the least it gives promise to his Iso game and will create big problems for defenders if he?s double team.

Agreed. Melo can barrel through literally any SF guarding him, including LBJ. If STAT and Tyson can entice a playmaking game out of Melo to add to that and his impeccable J, look for the most MVP votes he's ever received, or, under pristine circumstances and a high 50s win stack, perhaps even the MVP itself.

No, really.

I've never thought it beyond him in terms of capacity, which has always and ever been my chief frustration with him, but what seems to have made the next level of stardom elude him in the past, is mental susceptibility. (Sue me)

A playmaking Melo is an offensive Sherman tank. He couldn't do it last year when called upon. If we see it this year................I may just spray on myself.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
This is going to be Melo and Amare's first full camp together. Last year with the lockout was hurried. We get to use a more standard system. Melo and Amare can work one side of the floor creating a pick your poison scenario for the opposition. Either player initiates one on one and clears it out, if there's a double from the weakside, you spot JR, Kidd or Felton in the corner, Tyson slides from the elbow to the cup and see if Melo can lob it up there for him. Melo and Amare need to learn how to read the defense and if there is help coming or not. I think Kidd can help both players in this aspect of the game. I think both player are interchangeable as to their scoring offense, but you'd much rather have Melo on the wing and Amare on the elbow initiating a block pass to Melo or a 15 footer, or a dribble attack.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
This is going to be Melo and Amare's first full camp together. Last year with the lockout was hurried. We get to use a more standard system. Melo and Amare can work one side of the floor creating a pick your poison scenario for the opposition. Either player initiates one on one and clears it out, if there's a double from the weakside, you spot JR, Kidd or Felton in the corner, Tyson slides from the elbow to the cup and see if Melo can lob it up there for him. Melo and Amare need to learn how to read the defense and if there is help coming or not. I think Kidd can help both players in this aspect of the game. I think both player are interchangeable as to their scoring offense, but you'd much rather have Melo on the wing and Amare on the elbow initiating a block pass to Melo or a 15 footer, or a dribble attack.

STAT & Melo have a great opportunity to prove everyone wrong and make it work. They need to be much better then they have been so far in O&B. the thing hat should make it work is having a good pick'n'roll guard in Felton and decent 3pt options surrounding them. As above, spacing is the issue and PG play will set that up. Also a big part of this is what Tyson Chandler needs to do, which is get rebounds and get the **** out the way on offense.

STAT is gonna come back for a huge year, MELO has never been more hungry to win and I think tat they will put it all together finally.

Spacing is key here, if Stat can learn to set picks for Melo and keep his jumper consistent, spacing should be much better. Obviously they should be aware of where their team mates are, but should put extra effort into working off each other.

E.g. If Melo has the ball in the post, STAT needs to get open for the jumper and draw a defender away. Likewise, on the fast break STAT is much more effective so Melo should be looking to get open on the perimeter, hopefully drawing a man away. Or just being open for the 3 incase the defence closes and packs the paint.

+5000

Stat needs to get his sh*t together. He needs to be a warrior this season. Melo aint going no where for a long time. Its gonna be a long ass time before you see that kinda decline in melos play..

But I love Stat and he had a fuc*ed up season last year so I'm willing to not write him off yet.

I think the wording of your poll question answered this question as well as I could. "What does Stat have to do most..."

Most of the time when this topic is brought up, the question is "What does Melo have to do most"

Carmelo has to do exactly what he did last March and April, and he does need to play a little more defense.

Back to Amare...half his job will already be easier for him now that we have Felton and Kidd. The other half is just staying healthy and working on that mid range jumpshot. I would also love to see more of a 2 man game with Stat and Melo but thats more up to Woodson then anyone else

A plethora of excellence.