Pickin' n' Rollin' - STAT & Felton VS Chandler & Felton + Amar'e's resurgence.

Who is the better P&R option?

• Chandler

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Stoudemire

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Pickin' n' Rollin' - STAT & Felton VS Chandler & Felton + Amar'e's resurgence.

Will Felton bring back Stoudemire to the P&R elite?

alg_stoudemire_felton.jpg

○ I said when the trade went down for Felton, that as much as it's an encouraging thought to have him back and in sync with STAT in the P&R, that Tyson is by far the better pick setter out of both he and Amar'e. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Tyson's picks are league class, and that if there's anyone that outclasses him as a pick setter, they'd be one of very few.

In yesterday's preseason game VS Boston (fags), the commentator, whose name I don't recall, eluded to the fact that Chandler was an excellent finisher on the P&R, more so probably than Dwight Howard, which led me to rekindle this discussion.

Another thing to remember, is that Chandler and Felton also played, and started, together in Charlotte. So there is pre-formed chemistry there already, and since that time Chandler's game has elevated dramatically after having played with CP3, and Jason Kidd in Dallas.

Adding Jason Kidd to the fray.

○ As I just mentioned, part of the reason Chandler's game elevated offensively can be related to the C, PG role he has shared with 2 of the league's all time, future hall of fame point guards CP3 and Captain Kidd. Bringing Kidd to New York is only far more likely to see Chandler's offensive numbers go up, and given that thought, is it too optimistic to think that he'll even be worth 15-16 PPG this season? Considering his high percentage shots and impeccable timing on the P&R, to think he'll receive the ball close to the basket 6 times a game isn't overstepping the mark in the slightest.

Where does Amar'e's P&R game fit in?

○ Mid range dominance. Pure and simple. It is the only advantage STAT has over Chandler in any sense of the game itself; he can shoot.

In his time as the offence's go to scorer pre Melo, Amar'e Stoudemire's game was lethal because of his triple threat ability, as pointed out perfectly by Elton Brand and Al Horford in the above video.

As I say, it is his only advantage as a front court scoring option on this team, and if he's to return to form, his shot will have to be what propels his offence.

But therein lies the issue. Last season STAT was the league's worst shooter from what was his former sweet spot. And, as you'll see, he's not the only current Knick on the chart below.

worst_shooters1.jpg

^
So how's that! STAT and Ray are the league's worst shooters on opposite sides of the court! That is not good! If they're to run a successful 2 man game as the majority of the site apparently assumes they will, then this is a serious concern. We can say, "Just let them play on the other side of the court", but that would be ignoring the 3 other players out there, and whether or not that will detract from continuity. The other concern, as with a lot of D'Antoni's old spaced offence, is that it's prone to predictability, and teams the likes of Miami, that are an elite defensive squad, chew up offences that are easily read. It's a cynic's view, but it's not implausible cynicism.

There's food for thought here, KO. And while I could rattle on about it at great length, especially considering that I've not mentioned Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks' best player who destroyed the league at the 4 last year, and the fact that Chandler's presence affected Amar'e's usefulness last year, there is much to add to the burning questions regarding the reemergence of Amar'e Stoudemire, and the players in O&B that'll help bring him back from the doldrums of, well, sh*ttyness.

Sound off.

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;249577 said:
Will Felton bring back Stoudemire to the P&R elite?

alg_stoudemire_felton.jpg

○ I said when the trade went down for Felton, that as much as it's an encouraging thought to have him back and in sync with STAT in the P&R, that Tyson is by far the better pick setter out of both he and Amar'e. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Tyson's picks are league class, and that if there's anyone that outclasses him as a pick setter, they'd be one of very few.

In yesterday's preseason game VS Boston (fags), the commentator, whose name I don't recall, eluded to the fact that Chandler was an excellent finisher on the P&R, more so probably than Dwight Howard, which led me to rekindle this discussion.

Another thing to remember, is that Chandler and Felton also played, and started, together in Charlotte. So there is pre-formed chemistry there already, and since that time Chandler's game has elevated dramatically after having played with CP3, and Jason Kidd in Dallas.

Adding Jason Kidd to the fray.

○ As I just mentioned, part of the reason Chandler's game elevated offensively can be related to the C, PG role he has shared with 2 of the league's all time, future hall of fame point guards CP3 and Captain Kidd. Bringing Kidd to New York is only far more likely to see Chandler's offensive numbers go up, and given that thought, is it too optimistic to think that he'll even be worth 15-16 PPG this season? Considering his high percentage shots and impeccable timing on the P&R, to think he'll receive the ball close to the basket 6 times a game isn't overstepping the mark in the slightest.

Where does Amar'e's P&R game fit in?

○ Mid range dominance. Pure and simple. It is the only advantage STAT has over Chandler in any sense of the game itself; he can shoot.

In his time as the offence's go to scorer pre Melo, Amar'e Stoudemire's game was lethal because of his triple threat ability, as pointed out perfectly by Elton Brand and Al Horford in the above video.

As I say, it is his only advantage as a front court scoring option on this team, and if he's to return to form, his shot will have to be what propels his offence.

But therein lies the issue. Last season STAT was the league's worst shooter from what was his former sweet spot. And, as you'll see, he's not the only current Knick on the chart below.

worst_shooters1.jpg

^
So how's that! STAT and Ray are the league's worst shooters on opposite sides of the court! That is not good! If they're to run a successful 2 man game as the majority of the site apparently assumes they will, then this is a serious concern. We can say, "Just let them play on the other side of the court", but that would be ignoring the 3 other players out there, and whether or not that will detract from continuity. The other concern, as with a lot of D'Antoni's old spaced offence, is that it's prone to predictability, and teams the likes of Miami, that are an elite defensive squad, chew up offences that are easily read. It's a cynic's view, but it's not implausible cynicism.

There's food for thought here, KO. And while I could rattle on about it at great length, especially considering that I've not mentioned Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks' best player who destroyed the league at the 4 last year, and the fact that Chandler's presence affected Amar'e's usefulness last year, there is much to add to the burning questions regarding the reemergence of Amar'e Stoudemire, and the players in O&B that'll help bring him back from the doldrums of, well, sh*ttyness.

Sound off.

great analysis. People always talk about the problems Melo and Amare will have playing together, but I think Tyson and Amare are more redundant, exactly because they both are mostly P&R players, more comfortable coming up to the free throw line and setting picks. I think Felton and Kidd will help them both out in this regard, but I'm hoping Amare's time with Olajuwon might improve his post game some. Right now, I actually think 'Melo might be our best post player. But if Amare can stay healthy, I'm expecting a big year - not 2010-11 numbers, but somewhere in the range of 21 and 8. Tyson can definitely dunk an alley-oop or putback (which might not take much skill, but are valuable none theless), but he's pretty limited otherwise. Still, as you say he can set a great pick, and all we need him to do on offense is set picks and get the occasional offensive rebound and we'll be in great shape

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
Im kinda glad we brought back felton, and lets not forget, felton had one one his worst seasons last year being unmotivated and out of shape being the culprit. He was on a portland team that was going nowhere. THis year will be different with woody getting on players backs to perform well or he would lose his starting gig to kid or prigs.

Amare also being oft-injured and unable to get his chemistry to click with melo and unable to find his spots during games, shooting out of rhythm trying to do something with the ball. He was lost in melo ball to the most part. And amare who heavily rely on pg play had the likes of Douglas,Bibby and Lin for the most part of the season and and a one legged davis to dish to him. Our point gaurds were mediocre at best and didnt have the skills to really bring out amares game. His already preexisting chemistry with felton should dramatically improve his play and find him on open jumpers and drives to the hoop. Not to mention, lin bombed it today vs the spurs (1-10/ 1 assist) our new guys should dramatically bring new cohesion to this group

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton

I have been consistently highly critical of Felton. My principal problem with him was a conclusion that he overrated his offensive prowess. He is not a premier shooter, but with the Knicks he thought he was.

I am beginning to conclude that I neglected and underrated his passing skills. He can be a first class facilitator and I think we now have three terrific point guards even though none of them are lights out shooters. We have the shooters elsewhere.

I liked Lin and I think, despite his pre-season so far, that he will have exceptionally good numbers with Houston. But he needs the ball too much. I prefer our current point guards.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Kidd is pretty much lights out from long range.

With Knicks, Felton had streaks that season. He was really hot for a while when we were running through everyone, but closer to the All-Star break he fizzled.

When he's good he can be really good. With Denver he banged 46% three pointers over 21 games, 1.3 made per game. So he can tickle twines, but maybe not to shoot 5 per game.

Jason Kidd, he'll talk to Felton about improving his long range shooting, so that he can stay in the league when he cannot walk any more, like Jason Kidd.

For the first two-and-a-half years in Dallas, Jason Kidd was banging over 40% from the long ranges.

I don't know what happened now, the last two, but I hope he will drop buckets.

I voted Amar'e in the poll, before I read the thread, and now I see I was probably wrong. Still, I can't shake the idea of Amar'e slam dunking off the pick and roll, and I think he'll have more success this year because him and Felton have done this before, it will be some healthy chemistry to build on.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Woodson needs to figure out a rotation staggering Tyson/Amare's minutes, having one on the court at all times, gives them the PNR option. Having Melo on the floor as well, creates more opportunities for others as defenders tend to pinch towards Melo. It'll be a fine year, no lack of offense for this group.

KingCharles34

All Star
great analysis. People always talk about the problems Melo and Amare will have playing together, but I think Tyson and Amare are more redundant, exactly because they both are mostly P&R players, more comfortable coming up to the free throw line and setting picks. I think Felton and Kidd will help them both out in this regard, but I'm hoping Amare's time with Olajuwon might improve his post game some. Right now, I actually think 'Melo might be our best post player. But if Amare can stay healthy, I'm expecting a big year - not 2010-11 numbers, but somewhere in the range of 21 and 8. Tyson can definitely dunk an alley-oop or putback (which might not take much skill, but are valuable none theless), but he's pretty limited otherwise. Still, as you say he can set a great pick, and all we need him to do on offense is set picks and get the occasional offensive rebound and we'll be in great shape

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Im gonna go with Chandler here, he does such a great job of rolling to the basket. His dunks are effortless and he'll get fed alot by Felton and Kidd.

Stoudemire should be able to do his thing too if he stays healthy. But last year it looked like he forgot how to set a pick

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Stoudemire should be able to do his thing too if he stays healthy. But last year it looked like he forgot how to set a pick

I just don't even know how he got so sh*t at it!? I'm gonna have to get some ear muffs for my kid if Amar'e sets chicken picks again this year.

metrocard

Legend
Interesting thread Crazy.
I tell you I wouldn't be surprised if one of these guys (except Chandler) get traded before the All Star break.

I'll explain why later.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I was actually thinking about this the other day. Im gonna go with Chandler here, he does such a great job of rolling to the basket. His dunks are effortless and he'll get fed alot by Felton and Kidd.

Crazy⑧s;249876 said:
I just don't even know how he got so sh*t at it!? I'm gonna have to get some ear muffs for my kid if Amar'e sets chicken picks again this year.

I thought i was the only one noticing those weak picks lol, Stat just wasn't right last season but i'm sure he'll turn it up this season.. hopefully.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
He can be a first class facilitator and I think we now have three terrific point guards even though none of them are lights out shooters. We have the shooters elsewhere.

Well thought out, deductive post as always, OT. Re the shooters elsewhere, the big question remains: "will we see a 2 man game from STAT and Melo this year?"

Woodson needs to figure out a rotation staggering Tyson/Amare's minutes, having one on the court at all times, gives them the PNR option. Having Melo on the floor as well, creates more opportunities for others as defenders tend to pinch towards Melo. It'll be a fine year, no lack of offense for this group.

Again, will there be a P&R/P&P game for STAT and Melo?

Interesting thread Crazy.
I tell you I wouldn't be surprised if one of these guys (except Chandler) get traded before the All Star break.

I'll explain why later.

Who are the rest of 'one of these guys'? STAT is basically Knick herpes. Never, ever scrub that out with that contract of his.

I thought i was the only one noticing those weak picks lol, Stat just wasn't right last season but i'm sure he'll turn it up this season.. hopefully.

If he doesn't, I feel sorry for Woodson trying to sort that sh*t out. I wouldn't feel sorry for Amar'e, as he'll be the league's worst contract (if he doesn't turn the corner) and NY is not a good place to be that NBA clich? overpaid dope.

smokes

Huge Member
STAT and Felton are clearly the two biggest X factors on our team this year by a long way I would say.

Both guys in/approaching what should be the prime of their careers, both guys have plenty of experience behind them, both also have experience playing together, and both had piss poor seasons last year.

Felton out of shape, Amare injured and out of sync.

If these two can come and give even a decent showing of what they're capable of we are formidable. When playing at their best alongside Melo and Tyson you better watch out.

Melo might have had a slightly off year but bottom line he is going to be our best player this year I'd say 99% sure with the 1% being maybe Tyson.

Chandler you know what you're going to get 10+ points 10+ boards 2+ blocks and his presence. Amongst the top 5 players to play above the rim in the NBA today if you ask me, purely due to his absolute dominance of the alley oop game.

I'm sure Felton and Tyson will have that in their arsenal but I think it's way more important that the STAT + Felton combo resurfaces in New York.