Billy Hoyle Challenge - Game 1 Knicks @ Nets - Make predictions now!

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
UPDATE

Ok, I'm back. I woke up from under a rock for the past few weeks, and I see the knicks have a winning team. Am I dreaming here or is this real? The contest is on for the Knicks Nets Game on the 26th. Feel free to update your Predictions or add them if there are any new fans now that the team is winning.

Hello Knicks Fans. For your entertainment I have created a challenge for this upcoming season to test your basketball knowledge and talents of prognostication. The way it works is quite simple:

1. If you wish to enter, please post in this thread before the first game to reserve your spot. All future predictions should be placed in this original post.

2. I Will Select a series of games, the preliminary list of which will be provided below, to which this contest applies.

3. It is your job to predict the following categories in these game, and will be awarded accordingly:
-Winning team (10 points)
-Statistical Category 1 (7 points)
-Statistical Category 2 (5 points)
-Miscellaneous Category (3 points)

4. At the end of these games, the there will be a grand prize and first runner up awarded to the two posters who have the most total points.

Grand Prize: Knicks Jersey of my choice in size of your choice (probably will be the cheapest one I can find) OR Knicks Book of my choice for you learned folk (Will be a hardcover...Something nice ya know).

First Runner Up: At worst a Beanie or Towel: At best a sweatshirt/Tshirt

And of course pride.

To ensure that the contest is fair, once the season has started, I will not change the number of games that will be counted toward this point total. So, depending on the interest here, I might set the # of games at 10, 15, 20, etc.
In addition, I will not change the relative point values of each category prior to the start of the season.

Here is what will vary:
I reserve the right to swap any game with a week's notice...I would only do this if one of my original choices seems like a boring game (maybe an injury changes the dynamic of that team) or suddenly a new
team emerges (e.g. the Knicks are battling for the 8th playoff spot).
Statistical Category 1 will be predicting the game's leader of a Major statistical category of my choice (Points, assists, Rebounds, blocks, etc)
Statistical Category 2 will be a Minor Statistical Category of my choice
(Blocks, steals, Free throws, Fouls, etc)
Miscellaneous Category will be something like: What color is Clyde's suit? Or: Do the Knicks/Carmelo get Booed.

Anyway, I will add to this post as the season goes on to update for each of the selected games (will be listed a week ahead of time) with my choices for the categories. Also, I will keep tally of the Standings.

Game 1: New York Knickerbockers at Brooklyn Nets

Preview:
It's no longer the regular season debut of the Nets in their new home, the Barclay's Center. Have all the converted BK fans gone back to rooting for the Knicks? Melo is having the type of year that Knicks fans hoped for when they MeloMania first began, and Joe Johnson has had one of the worst starts to his career. It's with this matchup in mind that I have chosen my categories, which are still the same as before.

Who wins, BK or NY?

Statistical Category #1: Points Who will be the leading scorer when the night is done? The money is on Melo, but maybe some see a resurgence of Stat? How about another outburst from Dwill like we saw last year? Lets hear it.

Statistical Category #2: 3pt FG Made
This one might just come down to who chucks up the most.

Miscellaneous Category #3: Who ends the night missing more FG, Melo or Johnson? In this category i'm bringing the spotlight back to the Melo JJ matchup. It's a simple question: Who misses more tonight, Melo or JJ?

Ok KO posters. Here's how it works if I haven't been clear. Edit your predictions into the post below at any time between now and the game (or if you haven't posted yet just make a new post). Once you have your predictions down, don't edit that post again until I have updated the standings because i'm going by the time stamp of last edit, which has to be before the game starts. Once I have posted these standings, if you think I got something wrong, let me know and as long as you haven't edited your post, I will gladly correct it. If you are worried about somebody else stealing your great pick, then I will also accept submissions by PM (I don't see this as being necessary until we are down to the final few weeks).

The preliminary list of games that will count toward this contest is 15 and they are as follows:

Nov 1. Brooklyn
Nov 2. Miami
Nov 9. Dallas
Nov 28. @Milwaukee
Dec 6. @Miami
Dec 11. @ Brooklyn
Dec 17. Houston
Dec 25. @ LA
Jan 11. Chicago
Jan 24. @ Boston
Feb 10 Clippers
Feb 24. Philly
Mar 3. Miami
Mar 7. OKc
Mar 26. @ Boston

This list will definitely change.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
What a brilliant idea! Thanks for bringing the creative fun, BillyHoyle.

I am in.

Just for clarification, this is what I deducted out of the 4 categories.

-Winning team (10 points) Very obvious. :lol:

-Statistical Category 1 (7 points) Of my choice? i.e., STAT 9 rebounds?

-Statistical Category 2 (5 points) Same as above but for the other team? Any statistical category? Whatever I like?

-Miscellaneous Category (3 points) As in Tyson will get a tech after his 4th foul? Melo will catch and finish an alley pop in the first half?

Please just clarify that for me before I cook up my prognostications for the first game.

Great thread! Great idea! ★★★★★

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;250012 said:
What a brilliant idea! Thanks for bringing the creative fun, BillyHoyle.

I am in.

Just for clarification, this is what I deducted out of the 4 categories.

-Winning team (10 points) Very obvious. :lol:

-Statistical Category 1 (7 points) Of my choice? i.e., STAT 9 rebounds?

-Statistical Category 2 (5 points) Same as above but for the other team? Any statistical category? Whatever I like?

-Miscellaneous Category (3 points) As in Tyson will get a tech after his 4th foul? Melo will catch and finish an alley pop in the first half?

Please just clarify that for me before I cook up my prognostications for the first game.

Great thread! Great idea! ★★★★★

Statistical Category is of MY choice. So lets say we are playing the lakers, maybe i will choose points. Now it is your job to predict who will score the most points out of either team.
For the Minor Category, maybe I will pick something like ft% ..Now you have to predict who will make the most free throws out of either team. This second category is a bit tougher and worth fewer points.
Miscellaneous: Yes something like that, except I will select it and it is your job to make the prediction.
So: If you are right with your prediction, you get the points. If not, you get 0 for that category.
So, until I list the categories for each game, you guys cannot predict, but I will list these at least a week in advance for each.

Hope this is clearer

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Perfectly clear. I am loving this idea.

I think I'll sticky this thread until you've reached capacity of players, and we can get on to starting the first game in Brooklyn.

Really looking forward to it.

★★★★★!

smokes

Huge Member
Who wins, BK or NY? - NY

Statistical Category #1: Points Who will be the leading scorer when the night is done? - Melo

Statistical Category #2: 3pt FG Made - Novak

Miscellaneous Category #3: Who ends the night missing more FG, Melo or Johnson? - Melo

Last edited:

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
im in, sounds interesting
____
BK GAME 1:

Statistical Category #1: Points Has to be MELO

Deron Williams

Miscellaneous Category #3: Who ends the night missing more FG, Melo or Johnson? Melo

Knicks win

Last edited:

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
I've edited my original post with the info for game 1. Feel free to get up your predictions into the previous posts whenever convenient. I'm hoping that adding the categories will get more people into this and posting. Anyway, expect some more creative stuff from the miscellaneous category, but I thought it would be good to spotlight that matchup this time.

Here it is again:

Preview:
It's the regular season debut of the Nets in their new home, the Barclay's Center. Will we see frustrated Knicks fans from the southern borough donning black and white in support of the new franchise? Or will the makeup of this crowd be mainly commuters from Jersey unwilling to accept that their team didn't want them? Either way, the NBA needs this game to mark the beginning of an intense rivalry. The key showdown in this game will be between two men who each have something to prove. Both JJ and Melo are regarded as selfish players, and with the expectations high on each, it will be interesting to see who starts off the year hot. It's with this matchup in mind that I have chosen my categories. For clarification: stat categories 1 and 2 apply to everyone in the game, while the miscellaneous category is just Melo V JJ

Who wins, NY or BK*

Statistical Category #1: Points Who will be the leading scorer when the night is done? The money is on Melo, but maybe some see a resurgence of Stat? How about another outburst from Dwill like we saw last year? Lets hear it.

Miscellaneous Category #3: Who ends the night missing more FG, Melo or Johnson? In this category i'm bringing the spotlight back to the Melo JJ matchup. It's a simple question: Who misses more tonight, Melo or JJ?

Ok KO posters. Here's how it works if I haven't been clear. Edit your predictions into the post below at any time between now and the game (or if you haven't posted yet just make a new post). Once you have your predictions down, don't edit that post again until I have updated the standings because i'm going by the time stamp of last edit, which has to be before the game starts. Once I have posted these standings, if you think I got something wrong, let me know and as long as you haven't edited your post, I will gladly correct it. If you are worried about somebody else stealing your great pick, then I will also accept submissions by PM (I don't see this as being necessary until we are down to the final few weeks).

Last edited:

CoolClyde

sign me the f*ck up, Billy f*cking Hoyle!

Who wins, NY or BK* - NY wins

Statistical Category #1: Points Who will be the leading scorer when the night is done? The money is on Melo, but maybe some see a resurgence of Stat? How about another outburst from Dwill like we saw last year? Lets hear it. - LOPEZ

Statistical Category #2: 3pt FG Made This one might just come down to who chucks up the most.
MELO

Miscellaneous Category #3: Who ends the night missing more FG, Melo or Johnson? In this category i'm bringing the spotlight back to the Melo JJ matchup. It's a simple question: Who misses more tonight, Melo or JJ? MELO

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I've edited my original post with the info for game 1. Feel free to get up your predictions into the previous posts whenever convenient. I'm hoping that adding the categories will get more people into this and posting. Anyway, expect some more creative stuff from the miscellaneous category, but I thought it would be good to spotlight that matchup this time.

Here it is again:

Preview:
It's the regular season debut of the Nets in their new home, the Barclay's Center. Will we see frustrated Knicks fans from the southern borough donning black and white in support of the new franchise? Or will the makeup of this crowd be mainly commuters from Jersey unwilling to accept that their team didn't want them? Either way, the NBA needs this game to mark the beginning of an intense rivalry. The key showdown in this game will be between two men who each have something to prove. Both JJ and Melo are regarded as selfish players, and with the expectations high on each, it will be interesting to see who starts off the year hot. It's with this matchup in mind that I have chosen my categories. For clarification: stat categories 1 and 2 apply to everyone in the game, while the miscellaneous category is just Melo V JJ

Who wins, NY or BK*

Who wins, NY or BK NYK win.

Statistical Category #1: Points Melo drops 29 to lead all scorers. I predict he shoots a lot of free throws, but has around .400 FG%.

Statistical Category #2: Knicks - Novak

Miscellaneous Category #3: Who ends the night missing more FG, Melo or Johnson? I'll say Johnson officially, but I think it'll be Melo. Can't go burning him on the opening night.

- Thanks, Billy Hoyle!

Last edited: