2012-13 Pablo Prigioni Player Performance and News Thread

metrocard

Legend
Please give me a double double tonight with a couple of steals and 3s so my fantasy team can have a chance at winning.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Amar'e and Pablo: Potentially potent 1-2 punch.

prigioni.png
amare.png

● In considering the individual games of Amar'e and Pablo, it's apparent that both of them are pick and roll players. Given that Pablo is far and away a pass first player before he's anything else, is constantly look to play off the P&R to initiate penetration/dish/kick-out, and that Amar'e thrives in the P&R as a finisher, are we on the verge of seeing a great 2 man game unfold here?

● Having given thought to that, my wealth of video clips I've accumulated over the season's first 30 games will help give credence to the concept that Amar'e and Pablo could be the surprise of the year for this team offensively.

The key, quite clearly, is to imagine that whoever is running the P&R with Pablo (in these examples we have TC and Sheed) would/will be Amar'e.

● So there we have 3 classic examples of a P&R with Pablo dictating the timing and drawing of defenders with Sheed and Tyson, who admittedly are very good P&R players themselves, rolling to the basket. Add Amar'e to that frame of thought, but also consider that Felton's current injury status and Amar'e's playing in the 2nd unit alongside Pablo, make this a tantalising, destined collaboration.

● Another point that suggests this P&R marriage will be golden, is the success that Pablo and Copeland have had together in the P&R. It started in the preseason, but definitely made a lot (if not all) of us aware that Pablo's P&R game is crisp and timely.

● Pablo's offence as an individual will be brought to the forefront in the absence of Felton, as well. As a capable penetrator and shooter - though he seems reluctant to initiate offence for himself - I'm intrigued as to how deep he can dig as the team's only pure PG backup.

● Another thing to consider is the role that Kurt Thomas has established within the team as a jump shooter. He's often of late been found within 15-18 feet of the basket for an open look, and has done rather well, shooting slightly over 50%. This brings me to a group of follow up questions regarding the tandem of Pablo and Amar'e, and what to expect from Amar'e as a rounded scorer.

- Will Amar'e's mid range dominance return and become a factor for the Knicks?

- Will he predominantly be a jump shooter?

- Will Pablo's P&R brilliance entice him back to the basket?

- What of his post game?

Food for thought!

Red

TYPE-A
Before I imagine the Pablo/Stat P&R combo I imagine...

The Kidd/Stat combo... mad lobs, and the kick out for the 15 footer

JR/Stat combo... JR's passing has improved and Stat has to impress JR (ala Novak) to get the rock

Stat/Melo combo... if coach hasn't designed the 2-man weak side game for these two, shame on him!

IMO the chemistry and timing must be between STAT and our starting PG and scorers, because they will primarily be responsible for his success; not to mention how STAT gels on defense.

Then we can get to STAT w TC on the floor, STAT's post game (can he prove it's reliability before patience runs low?) and then... STAT and Pablo.

But yeah I can see them two hooking up.no homo. :thumbsup:

Paul1355

All Star
Nice thread crazy 8s

Amare and Pablo should work beautifully together in P&R

Amare should do very well in the 2nd unit once the rust wears off.

Amare has floor spacing playing JR Smith, Copeland, Novak, and Sheed

Amare will have nice passes from Pablo and protection from Camby

Amare has it made right now.

knicksin60

Starter
I could see this becoming a reality if Pablo finds a way to introduce to Amar'e Stoudemire the personal trainers that have kept him healthy and in shape throughout the 17 years of his pro basketball career.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We will need to see some shine out of these 2 tonight. The second unit needs them to be successful so f'ing badly, and we need to penetrate against the Spurs if the last win against them was anything to go by.

Novak's gotta be on, too.

Kiyaman

Legend
During the Preseason games we watch rookies Pablo & Copeland tandem-up for consistent points on several occassion, the ideal perfect lineup for our two-rookies are "Camby, Stat, Copeland, Kidd, Pablo" .. we could call it the "Pick n Roll lineup" with Pablo steals, Camby blockshots, and Kidd lob-passes, Stat would stay healthy. A lineup of Old-heads/veteran/rookies as a 2nd-unit .. wheres Felton so we could put this together??????

metrocard

Legend
I want a younger PG next year behind Kidd and Felton, Bo McCalebb would be a great pick up for us he's 27 and is a straight beast in europe

Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year (2007)
2x All-Euroleague Second Team (2010, 2012)
Italian SuperCup MVP (2011)
FIBA EuroBasket All Tournament Team (2011)
Alphonso Ford Trophy (2012)
Italian League MVP (2012)

27 isn't really "young" when you think young, you think of 19-24

Prigioni has been the perfect fit for this team, probably the best floor general we have behind Kidd and a superior defender in comparison with Raymond Felton.

Pablo's consistency is really his main weakness, if he comes to play every night on defense and making fancy passes like in 0:36 of this video

and if he keeps playing the passing lanes wisely, Pablo should earn himself a 22-28 minute per game role.

Prig is like a less flashier version of Ricky Rubio.

Plus Bo is just an athletic scorer, Will Bynum type with limited passing skills, McCaleb is Jose Juan Barea height and he'll suffer in the NBA. He ain't Allen Iverson baby.