I'm loving the team so far ~ two things that bother me.

Deathstroke

Benchwarmer
1. We're taking a boatload of threes, it sees like if we can't hit those then we might not be able to win, we need to ease up on the threes a bit. I don't want to see the whole team take threes just Novak, JR, and Melo and anybody else as long as they're open and or it makes sense in the flow of the possession. I don't want to see guys like Sheed, Felton and Brewer just to name a few, shoot all these three's

2. Melo, it's a small sample size but he's only shooting 43%, I made a prediction that he would win MVP(he might have to just to get this team to win the division), he needs to take better shots and Kidd and Felton will help him do that. And if he continues on his pace right now he could be MVP if his committal to both ends stands up throughout the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

CA7

Scoring Champ
1. We're taking a boatload of threes, it sees like if we can't hit those then we might not be able to win, we need to ease up on the threes a bit. I don't want to see the whole team take threes just Novak, JR, and Melo and anybody else if they're open and it makes sense in the flow of the possession

2. Melo, it's a small sample size but he's only shooting 43%, I made a prediction that he would win MVP(he might have to just to get this team to win the division), he needs to take better shots and Kidd and Felton will help him do that. And if he continues on his pace right now he could be MVP if his committal to both ends stands up throughout the season.

I'll explain this one, FG% only tells you so much and here's why

he's making 9 shots a game and taking 20.7, the .7 make his percentage fall 2%, if it was 9/20 then he'd be shooting 45% much more reasonable, hell if he made just 1 more shot a game he'd be at 48%(our goal for him) and no one would say anything

so dont worry about that the 10/28 vs Miami skews his % a little too much, take away the Miami game and he's 17/34 50%, Carmelo just needs a big shooting night something like 14/17 to get it where its respectful

Can anyone really complain about the 3s when they're WIDE OPEN good looks for the most part? If we can consistently get good open looks we should be able to maintain a pretty healthy percentage from downtown, maybe not the insane videogame type numbers we're putting up now, but solid

skisloper

Starter
At this point there is zero to complain about.
I mean 2 games in and we look like a serious team.
As for 3's only worry if we miss them and keep taking them.
Woodson has a leash on JR and seems to have good control of him.
Kidd and Wallace in the locker room stop the BS.

Lets pray Amare is off the bench only

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Can anyone really complain about the 3s when they're WIDE OPEN good looks for the most part? If we can consistently get good open looks we should be able to maintain a pretty healthy percentage from downtown, maybe not the insane videogame type numbers we're putting up now, but solid

Exactly. The 3's don't bother me because they have all been in the flow of the game. Don't knock Felton, Sheed and Brewer because it's not like they are just heaving up contested shots like Jamal C. and Nate R. when they were on the Knicks. I love watching this form of Bball played cause it's every coach's wet dream.

Who would think that Mike Woodson's offense would look better then Dantoni's.

And when it comes to Melo, he is finally doing what we payed him to do. The man is a machine and best used as a finisher of plays. Everything he has done is incredibly efficient. No knock on Melo what so ever so far.

CoolClyde

it's all about finding the open man, and the man with the hot hand.
if the 3-ball is open in the flow of the offensive rhythm, you shoot it.
with Knicks passing more and ball movement part of the overall schematic,
there's no problem shooting 3's in the open, especially since misses have a
50% chance of being rebounded or tapped out on the offensive end.

Melo can shoot 3's whenever the f*ck he feels it. that's just the way it is.
i'll take 43% truemelo as long as he's playing D and passing out of triple teams.

thread fail.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
1. We're taking a boatload of threes, it sees like if we can't hit those then we might not be able to win, we need to ease up on the threes a bit. I don't want to see the whole team take threes just Novak, JR, and Melo and anybody else as long as they're open and or it makes sense in the flow of the possession. I don't want to see guys like Sheed, Felton and Brewer just to name a few, shoot all these three's

I agree somewhat with this, we are taken alot of 3's and i do feel we should attack the rim a little more.

But at the same time we are getting GREAT looks out their from 3 point land and that comes from our impressive ball movement, i don't feel it's a major concern we are not really forcing the issue and shooting wild 3's were getting open looks and when your open Why not let it fly?

smokes

Huge Member
Felton Kidd Sheed Melo Novak JR are all good-great 3 point shooters and if they are open let them shoot it. Melo and JR will shoot a few when they're not open but whatever.

Yeah we're shooting a lot of 3's but I think this really can't be commented on until we get a close game where the 3 ball is not as open. When you're up 20 you can shoot as many 3's as you like.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The 3pt shooting is due to the excellent ball movement. You take what the defense gives you.

And expand from there as the season progresses. Felton and Shump, once he's returned, will hit those lanes, and Shump will add high flying, aggressive O to the team. After the initial 3 games of the season, the blueprint's there for some league leading O.

D'Antoni is an offensive genius. :lol:

New New York

Quiet Storm

Not worried about Melo's shooting numbers, I mean 43% after 3 games (where he is the primary focal point) is not alarming. Melo got blocked and missed 3 easy layups against Miami...if those shots go he's shooting 45%

New New York

Quiet Storm

The 3pt shooting is due to the excellent ball movement. You take what the defense gives you.

Yes and No

I like the ball movement and finding players open for 3 and Metro is right if the defense plays off of the 3 you gotta put it up...but even wide open 3's are still unreliable. We also gotta look to penetrate to get the D to collapse which will result in lobs for Tyson and players getting fouled more.

That said...with an average margin of victory of 20+ we could miss six 3's and still have won...now of course the complexion of those games would change if we missed 6 3's in those games but statisitically speaking we would have still scored more points than our oppenents missing a good chunck of those 3's

Bottom line.....Our D is calling card and that's why we are winning more than the 3's

We will go cold from 3 but our D will keep us in games.

What I see as a bigger detriment beyond the 3's is giving up all these offensive rebounds. If we play D and control the boards then we could survive even 3 pt droughts but offensive boards have killed the momentum of some really really good defensive series

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
Not worried about Melo's shooting numbers, I mean 43% after 3 games (where he is the primary focal point) is not alarming. Melo got blocked and missed 3 easy layups against Miami...if those shots go he's shooting 45%

I was going to mention those close range shots against Miami as a few misses that hit Melo's shooting %. In that game he also pulled in 4 offensive rebounds, most of which were probably off his own misses so I think that evens it out a bit. He also went a little bit trigger happy in the second or third quarter against the Heat and missed a few, but other than that I think most of his shots have been good shots. Long may it continue.

DrB

Benchwarmer
If it ain't broke don't fix it...these are PRO's. they all should be able to hit three's...like highschool and college players. They just now are starting to hit FREE THROWS 17/17 the other night.