New Pringles Flavor- LA Laker edition

Forrest17

Rotation player
I lol'd.
It took D'Antoni to leave for Melo to commit 100%

Defense and D'Antoni :teeth:

Sure is gonna be a fun season following the Lakers.
inb4 the Buss' fire their 2nd coach in 1 season, WTF are they thinking signing him to 4 years.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/lakers-hire-mike-dantoni-as-coach/

Well that was on melo staging a protest. He could have, but he probably didn't want to commit to d to give the illusion that a problem had been fixed. He wanted D'Antoni gone and Im glad he did because he wasn't right for our team anymore and needed to go.

But with that said if you look at the first part of last season, it wasn't the same as it was the year before with the premelo trade Amar'e run type team. We weren't giving up a crazy amount of points or running the floor like mad. It was slowed down a good deal but the offense wasn't clicking because we didn't have a point guard.

We did with lin and maybe thats why we went on such a long winning streak. Who knows.

I just think if we want people to look at Carmelo for who he is now as a player and stop judging him by old stereotypes its only fair to do that for D'Antoni.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
L.A. shuns Jackson in favor of the D'Antoni system: run, have fun, guard no one

I hate Stephen A. Smith he is a clown and a 76 apologist

The Los Angeles Lakers want us to believe that they've made the right move. That hiring Mike D'Antoni as their new head coach was the right thing to do. For Kobe Bryant. For Dwight Howard. For Steve Nash. For a franchise in desperate pursuit of its 17th NBA title.
Yet the fact that it came at the expense of an 11-time champion, Phil Jackson, means the Lakers did not make the right move at all. The fact that Jackson, according to league sources, had been led to believe the job was his to turn down makes hiring D'Antoni a bad move.

It reveals that the Lakers might actually deem entertaining basketball more important than winning rings. And that is what's most alarming of all.
Let Bryant try to sell everyone on D'Antoni all he wants. Let the Lakers' executives do the same with their rhetoric, telling the basketball world they were "unanimous that D'Antoni was the best coach for the team at this time."
There's no getting around the Lakers' choice to pass over a tried-and-true champion in favor of a coach who lacks an affinity for defense, and whose definition of success seems to be how many points his teams score.
When the Lakers feel bitten in the proverbial backside, it should come as no surprise.
"I love PJ, but I'm very excited about D'Antoni," Bryant told ESPN early Monday.
We'll see.
Perhaps someone should ask Bryant a couple of poignant questions.
How will he feel the moment he realizes wannabes, bench-warmers and has-beens are allowed to shoot nearly as much as he is?
How interested is Bryant, 34, in racing up and down the court over the next 77 games, plus the playoffs, in D'Antoni's frenetic, up-tempo system -- with little regard for a player's ability to hold up? (See: Amar'e Stoudemire's knees).

Did I mention the fact that D'Antoni's defenses have never ranked higher than 23rd in his coaching career? That D'Antoni's teams ranked 28th on defense his first three years in New York, before Mike Woodson was forced on D'Antoni during his last season with the Knicks?
"There isn't a player who significantly contributed to Coach D'Antoni's system who doesn't love the man," one former D'Antoni player told me Monday. "But anyone who tells you that man mentioned defense, let alone preached it, is a liar."
The truth is the truth.

I'm not saying that D'Antoni won't win basketball games. To the contrary, he'll win more than his share. The Lakers will end up with one of the league's best records. They'll be entertaining and will be relevant ? right up to the moment it's championship time.
Around that time, the San Antonio Spurs, Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder, or even Chris Paul and the L.A. Clippers will laugh hysterically at the thought of the Lakers trying to defend them.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
this means the Damntoni/Duhound love is about to be reunited as well.
don't be surprised if Chris Poopon becomes starting PG.

pringle_houndlove.gif
:lol: I didn't even think of that. I'm glad he's the coach now. It's gonna be crazy.

zwickks

Benchwarmer
Whats your problem with what Stephen A Smith said about it?

He makes some relevant points, not many other people in the media are saying anything about how **** D'Antoni is

CoolClyde

He makes some relevant points, not many other people in the media are saying anything about how **** D'Antoni is

hah! I didn't realize the entire article was posted, i thought Knicks4Life was
making vicious comments at the end. A Stephen Smith is truly a d*ck, but
i gotta give him props for speaking knicks fans minds. more or less.

zwickks

Benchwarmer
hah! I didn't realize the entire article was posted, i thought Knicks4Life was
making vicious comments at the end. A Stephen Smith is truly a d*ck, but
i gotta give him props for speaking knicks fans minds. more or less.

haha i recognized it all because he said similar things on First Take.
He also took stabs at Jim Buss and claimed "It's the end of the Lakers as we know them".

Personally i like him, mainly because he is one of the most outspoken people on TV. Bayless on the over hand, now thats a d*ck.

Forrest17

Rotation player

Yeah, hiring D'Antoni is one thing, but choosing him over PJ is just down right silly. Im open to peoples potential and adressing their weaknesses... But Its just going to cause controversy and turn players on one another here. PJ wouldn't even have to say anything. He could just come in and BE there and the lakers would have been better.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I can't wait until that game where the Lakers are getting demolished on the boards, and MDA keeps Dwight on the bench cause...ya know....substitution patterns...you can't break from them.

It's the less tangible things that MDA does that really pissed me the **** off. Unwillingness (incapability???) to adjust on the fly. Supreme stubbornness to the point it seems he'd rather set the ship ablaze and watch it burn and sink as opposed to even remotely consider steering it the direction that someone else suggested, especially when your route doesn't seem to be taking it anywhere.

Just wait...I can see either a combo of Lee/Bogut/Ezeli or Thompson/Cousins/Hayes, grabbing boards left right and center, and Kobe is looking at MDA like "why in the hell is Jamison still out here??!?!" and MDA is like:

30063472.jpg

Hahaha......This post has basically closed the thread for me. :lol:

As ever, nicely put, nuckles.

Paul1355

All Star
terrible move by the Lakers but everyone thinks since Mike D and Nash are reuniting that it will be the exciting type of bball that can bring a ring.

Mike D's style has never brought a ring and the style doesnt suit old men. Old guys cant run up the floor...his style fits a Denver Nuggets type of team just young guys with good PG's

metrocard

Legend
I read it right the first time, the triangle is a better offense than SSOL, you disagree?

Triangle offense it the most overrated offense of all time, and it would never be what it is without having two top 5 players in Kobe and Shaq.

Imagine if Isiah Thomas implemented a triangle offense with Crawford and Curry back in 2005. How far would that go?

07-09 Lakers averaged as a team a Offense Rating of 112.9 (Offense produced per 100 possessions

D'Antoni's teams averaged 114.

Both were very good offenses but D'Antoni was elite at getting maximal production out of lesser players.

Raja Bell averaged 15 points one season, never got close to that without D'Antoni.

Barbosa
Diaw
Even freaking Tim Thomas.

Shawn Marion would of been a 14-15 ppg scorer on most teams in the NBA, in Phoenix his quick bounce ability and skill around the rim was utilized to it's full potential. It was great to watch a guy play his game.

Joe Johnson got so many open looks his last season in Phoenix, he shot a career best .478 percent from the 3pt line.

Remember Jim Jackson? NBA vet? Career .360 3pt shooter? Dude shot .459 at Phoenix. The amount of open looks players got in Phoenix was off the chain.

Lakers offense solely depended on Shaq and Kobe's ability to dominate, Shaq's ability to draw double teams. It was more of the players than the system.

D'Antoni's system got Nash two MVP's, made the Knicks give Amar'e all that money for him when he was never worth that value, made Marion an elite SF on both ends of the floor, saved Raja Bell's career. Gave Boris Diaw a chance when the Hawks gave up on him. Turned late first round pick Barbosa into a quality role player.

These were D'Antoni's reserves back in 05-06.

10 Leandro Barbosa
12 Andre Barrett
15 Josh Davis
23 Sharrod Ford
55 Brian Grant
50 Eddie House
21 Jim Jackson
22 James Jones
40 Kurt Thomas
2 Tim Thomas
1 Dijon Thompson
15 Nikoloz Tskitishvili

He turned that into a very productive bench.

It's just simply on offense, the Championship Lakers teams had superior defense. We were talking about offense...made no sense to bring up a championship when it requires an entire balance of O and D to win that.

For example, the 01-02 Lakers had a defense rating of 105.8, 7th in the NBA at the time.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2002.html

Stats dont lie.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
'Antoni?

Triangle offense it the most overrated offense of all time, and it would never be what it is without having two top 5 players in Kobe and Shaq.

Overrated? Tex Winter's brainchild offence was worked to perfection with the likes of Luc Longley. You don't need 2 top 5 players to run it at all. Though when 2 were, SHAQ and Kobe, it ripped the league to smithereens. It was designed, as far as I recall, to defeat the likes of Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson back in the day with its versatile and cognitive approach, and it worked. It's what got him (Winter) in to the NBA Hall of Fame. It took Ron Artest months to come near to using it effectively - Jordan, basketball's living legend, struggled with it, as well.

The best part of the triangle is its versatility, and its reactionary success to defences. It has variations for the intensity of any defence, and forces weaknesses in what appears to be an impenetrable, tight pressured D.

It also adds more versatility for an inside~outside game than D'Antoni's offence. It's a better offence in the sense of versatility by far. D'Antoni's O makes the game that of a wing player, Winter's offence picks team's weaknesses apart offensively, and bolsters any players talents regardless of how limited they are. It can maintain a focal at each position. D'Antoni's is set to serve and favour a prototypical player. The triangle brought out the best in O'Neal, and also provided a nich? for any roleplaying no-name along the way, Longley being the perfect example.

D'Antoni's O is top notch, but the triangle surpasses it in its timelessness and its effectiveness regardless of who's implementing it. D'Antoni's small-ball suits teams with Amar'e Stoudemire at the 5, and that can be countered far easier than the multi-faceted .

You can throw around stats all you want, but when you talk about the lopsided inputs of O&D with D'Antoni, you'd get lost in the disparities. The triangle forced cohesion and understanding, D'Antoni would just run defences ragged at the cost of his own defence.

△ > 'Antoni.

fender0577

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;253260 said:
Overrated? Tex Winter's brainchild offence was worked to perfection with the likes of Luc Longley. You don't need 2 top 5 players to run it at all. Though when 2 were, SHAQ and Kobe, it ripped the league to smithereens. It was designed, as far as I recall, to defeat the likes of Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson back in the day with its versatile and cognitive approach, and it worked. It's what got him (Winter) in to the NBA Hall of Fame. It took Ron Artest months to come near to using it effectively - Jordan, basketball's living legend, struggled with it, as well.

The best part of the triangle is its versatility, and its reactionary success to defences. It has variations for the intensity of any defence, and forces weaknesses in what appears to be an impenetrable, tight pressured D.

It also adds more versatility for an inside~outside game than D'Antoni's offence. It's a better offence in the sense of versatility by far. D'Antoni's O makes the game that of a wing player, Winter's offence picks team's weaknesses apart offensively, and bolsters any players talents regardless of how limited they are. It can maintain a focal at each position. D'Antoni's is set to serve and favour a prototypical player. The triangle brought out the best in O'Neal, and also provided a nich? for any roleplaying no-name along the way, Longley being the perfect example.

D'Antoni's O is top notch, but the triangle surpasses it in its timelessness and its effectiveness regardless of who's implementing it. D'Antoni's small-ball suits teams with Amar'e Stoudemire at the 5, and that can be countered far easier than the multi-faceted .

You can throw around stats all you want, but when you talk about the lopsided inputs of O&D with D'Antoni, you'd get lost in the disparities. The triangle forced cohesion and understanding, D'Antoni would just run defences ragged at the cost of his own defence.

△ > 'Antoni.
You my friend, are a very intelligent individual.Well said, +1.

CoolClyde

can't believe the life of this thread. it's like beating the dead JLin horse.

i don't understand the defense (haha) of 'Antoni. and i'm talking about
KO posters defending the sh*tstache coaching.

the triangle offense is an intelligent playmaking strategy, that can work for any
player who understands it. it figures a dense player like RonArtest couldn't grasp
it immediately, and a smart player like Luc Longley could.

'Antoni's offense takes advantage of specific type players who can run and gun,
play the P&R and shoot 3's. he had this in Phoenix and the team excelled. He did not
have the right players he needed on the Knicks and SSOL failed miserably.

now, he's back with Steve Nash, he can talk Italian with Kobe, has the best
defensive center in the league in Duhwight, and an intelligent player in Pau,
so he just might make it work.

i wish him luck, but i'm glad he didn't let the door hit him in the a$$ on the way outta here.

i personally hated his persona more than anything. his handling of Starbury,
N8 the gr8, poor substitutions, running players into the ground, his smug attitude,
and belief that offense was more important than D. good riddance.

knicksin60

Starter
This is why D'antoni will win at least three championships with the Lakers and why all of his supporters will end up with a smile on their faces at the end of the day.

Nash with 3 future hall of famers > Nash in Phoenix

Kobe > Marion

Gasol > Diaw

MWP > Bell

D.Howard > Amar'e

The Lakers already have players on their roster that could play and coach defense so D'antoni could concentrate on getting his team to average 140 pts a game.

I don't see a team in the Western Conference that will give the LAL trouble in the playoffs. The Thunder just took one step backwards with the Harden trade, Memphis is unproven, and San Antonio doesn't have the superstars to match up against the Lakers.

I said it from the beginning...I don't see a Miami Heat big 3 beating a LAL big 4 in a seven game series.