Knicks @ Dallas GT

Munchen13

Benchwarmer
I didnt like our defense today at all. As for our offense, we need stat, we can't be depending on wallace for the long run.

TakMan

Rotation player
Defence lost the game tonight. Kidd was the only one who hustled on D and Chandler did show signs of improvement but other than that the rest of them were sub par. Having said that, we've had many road trips of late and it's only natural that we wont be able to compete at a top level in every game. We should destroy the Rockets on Friday and get back on track. One issue I took with Woodson was that even though our defence was under-performing, he refused to utilise a couple of key bench players throughout the game. Kidd continues to be immense. I'm not worried at the moment. I believe we've got this.

Just to add that the Refs were disgraceful at the very end, (Anthony's "offensive" foul and the play where Kaman whacks him in the face particularly) but I still feel our defence (or lack of) lost the game. Also we hit 14 TO's in this game. We can blame refs when we're hitting top effort levels, but not with lacklustre defensive displays such as this one.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
IMO it was our sluggish 3rd Q that allowed DAL to pull off and finally grab a W. How many turnovers did we commit in the 3rd period? I don't blame this L on the refs, we could pull an easy W out of this game if we played more focused, except of OJM DAL didn't show anything we couldn't handle.

KBlack25

Starter
Carmelo has been really good this season, but I get super frustrated with that pull up hand-in-his-face jumper that he sometimes will settle for. Would've much preferred for him to try and get to the basket on the last shot there.

skisloper

Starter
Woodson needs to step up in these situations.
Perigoni has been playing so little. He will now play scared.
Woodson gives JR free reign. When the JR is having a ****ty night we have a deep bench he should sit. Woodson did this in the heat playoff series and the excuse was we had no bench. Now we have a deep bench so why o why

Red

TYPE-A
Carmelo has been really good this season, but I get super frustrated with that pull up hand-in-his-face jumper that he sometimes will settle for. Would've much preferred for him to try and get to the basket on the last shot there.

I think its easy to play Monday morning QB with that last play, essentially because he missed. If he had drove etc... is not what stands out to me.

What does is the fact that we shouldn't have been there to begin with, nor should we keep a game close to give a chance for the refs to decide.

That said, it was our mismanagement of our possessions that hurt us similar to how we used to play. There was no need to get into a shootout after we had a comfortable lead. There was no impetus to shoot the 3 at that rate with the lead,

and what happened is what always happened... we let a team back in it by virtue of poor shot selection.

1. We are relying on too many threes (ala MDA) and this provides a false sense of security.

2. Our perimeter defense needs improvement (as I keep saying). Mayo twice, Holiday, VC, and Parker for a stretch, too easily either got an uncontested shot of or got into the teeth of the defense. Steals are nice but thwarting penetration and contesting shots needs improvement. Perimeter rotations need improvement as there are too many open shots coming form the perimeter.

3. A major culprit is Novak. No longer can he disappear on defense and we not notice or hold him accountable. He must shake the habits instilled by his old coach, and learn to contribute in more ways than one. Novak's defense is poor at best, and without hitting 3's he's useless.

*COACH Please figure a way to stop featured players. Either we rotate a "specific" defender on their hot man (no homo) such as Brewer, or we trap and get the ball out of his hands. Letting players get hot and confident comes back to bite you.

KBlack25

Starter
I think its easy to play Monday morning QB with that last play, essentially because he missed. If he had drove etc... is not what stands out to me.

What does is the fact that we shouldn't have been there to begin with, nor should we keep a game close to give a chance for the refs to decide.

That said, it was our mismanagement of our possessions that hurt us similar to how we used to play. There was no need to get into a shootout after we had a comfortable lead. There was no impetus to shoot the 3 at that rate with the lead,

and what happened is what always happened... we let a team back in it by virtue of poor shot selection.

1. We are relying on too many threes (ala MDA) and this provides a false sense of security.

2. Our perimeter defense needs improvement (as I keep saying). Mayo twice, Holiday, VC, and Parker for a stretch, too easily either got an uncontested shot of or got into the teeth of the defense. Steals are nice but thwarting penetration and contesting shots needs improvement. Perimeter rotations need improvement as there are too many open shots coming form the perimeter.

3. A major culprit is Novak. No longer can he disappear on defense and we not notice or hold him accountable. He must shake the habits instilled by his old coach, and learn to contribute in more ways than one. Novak's defense is poor at best, and without hitting 3's he's useless.

*COACH Please figure a way to stop featured players. Either we rotate a "specific" defender on their hot man (no homo) such as Brewer, or we trap and get the ball out of his hands. Letting players get hot and confident comes back to bite you.

I know it's easy to Monday morning QB it. I just hate settling for that shot in that spot, especially with Carmelo. Melo was doing a decent job all game getting to the hoop (including on the possession before). That's what I would've liked to see him do.

It's one of the things that gets me annoyed with guys like JR Smith and Melo, when they get into that mode where instead of trying to get a better shot they settle for a long contested jumper. They have both been much better about that this year. I just wanted a better shot there, with a full 24 to work.

Number3

Benchwarmer
i see it as blessing in disguise.. these are the moments we have to experience in order to move foward when these last minutes really count

elcol

Rotation player
knicks do not have good transition defense and it takes them a long time to get back into their set, that being said, when they are settled into their half court set they are very dangerous defensively. We are also giving up loads of points on penetration..

nyk_nyk

All Star

I hear and understand what you're saying about the rate of 3 pt shots with a comfy lead, but they've been successful so far by shooting a very good % and I can't see them putting the brakes on just yet. Personally, I'd prefer with a good lead to get shots closer to the basket with a chance for FTs. Weak defense and too many perimeter shots are gateways to let teams back in.

Perimeter defense and rebounding HAS to improve. Following up on your Novak comment, I've been watching him closely on the court and its like he has vegetable oil smeared on the bottom of his kicks. All you have to do is make one decent move against him and his feet panic. Instead of simply sliding his feet side to side, he does these small hops which keeps himself off balance. I know he's the best shooter some of you have ever seen, but I'm all for sacrificing 2-3 threes a game for better perimeter defense. Just about everyone else contributes on several levels except Novak. As of RIGHT NOW, Kidd, Smith and Felton are all shooting a higher 3pt % than Novak, so he either contributes on the defensive end or get comfortable with Copeland on the bench.

My prediction has always been that he would be the odd man out once Shump and Amare comes back anyway. Great shooter or not.

Red

TYPE-A
I know it's easy to Monday morning QB it. I just hate settling for that shot in that spot, especially with Carmelo. Melo was doing a decent job all game getting to the hoop (including on the possession before). That's what I would've liked to see him do.

It's one of the things that gets me annoyed with guys like JR Smith and Melo, when they get into that mode where instead of trying to get a better shot they settle for a long contested jumper. They have both been much better about that this year. I just wanted a better shot there, with a full 24 to work.

I know, I and probably everyone said the same thing. We came back at about the 4:40 mark when they were in the penalty we began taking it to the hole, drawing fouls.

A few significant things happened. JR comitted a stupid foul. Melo was called for a stupid foul, and the refs ignored the foul call on Kaman, which looked so blatant.

I bet you figured just like I, that they owed him one. Fast-forward to us running the clock down, no tme outs, taking the final shot and we all knew Melo should be getting the rock. .If not then TC rolling to the basket like the last few unstoppable looking plays (where they fouled).

When we see Melo beating his man left off the dribble, considereing what I wrote above, it seemed perfectly set up for a drive and a possible and one. Melo loses handle pulled up bad shot, game over.

I hear and understand what you're saying about the rate of 3 pt shots with a comfy lead, but they've been successful so far by shooting a very good % and I can't see them putting the brakes on just yet. Personally, I'd prefer with a good lead to get shots closer to the basket with a chance for FTs. Weak defense and too many perimeter shots are gateways to let teams back in.

Perimeter defense and rebounding HAS to improve. Following up on your Novak comment, I've been watching him closely on the court and its like he has vegetable oil smeared on the bottom of his kicks. All you have to do is make one decent move against him and his feet panic. Instead of simply sliding his feet side to side, he does these small hops which keeps himself off balance. I know he's the best shooter some of you have ever seen, but I'm all for sacrificing 2-3 threes a game for better perimeter defense. Just about everyone else contributes on several levels except Novak. As of RIGHT NOW, Kidd, Smith and Felton are all shooting a higher 3pt % than Novak, so he either contributes on the defensive end or get comfortable with Copeland on the bench.

My prediction has always been that he would be the odd man out once Shump and Amare comes back anyway. Great shooter or not.

But what I'm saying is having to scale back seemed like a priority even when we were making them IMO.

If I'm going to say I was worried even when we were successful doing this under MDA, then its only consistent to say it with Woody. We can't become too reliant on the 3 even if it drops. We have to get used to getting it done inside and gritty.

And Novak probably hasn't slowed down as much as he was the least of our worries last year. He probably couldn't play D and have some moves off the dribble then, and he still doesn't now. But now its more apparent.

Like the past we have to hold coach accountable for either teaching him or reducing his minutes. We lagged with him in the line up, we cameback when we sat him.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

watching the Houston pre-game, coach Wood Son said he "knew he had a day off for thanksgiving...went with shorter rotation for Mavs, and it backfired, call it bad coaching."

now THAT is accountability, and i forgive him for making the call, i mean, we almost won anyway, with Mayonnaise and Carter shooting the lights out.

i love this coach as much as i hated Antoni.