The Diet Thread

orangeblobman

Rotation player
That's too much milk.

Everything in moderation.
Nothing is excess.

True, at the same time in an untrained guy looking to gain weight, he's probably weak and hasn't lifted before, you want him on the squats and deadlifts to rattle the system then you pack the ****ing milk on, all the other food, tons of it, and he'll get some fat but he'll get a **** load of muscle too, and then he'll have a strong strength foundation then the sky is the limit after that, but he'll probably enjoy training for strength for the rest of his life

metrocard

Legend
True, at the same time in an untrained guy looking to gain weight, he's probably weak and hasn't lifted before, you want him on the squats and deadlifts to rattle the system then you pack the ****ing milk on, all the other food, tons of it, and he'll get some fat but he'll get a **** load of muscle too, and then he'll have a strong strength foundation then the sky is the limit after that, but he'll probably enjoy training for strength for the rest of his life

I wouldn't call him weak...he may be average or we don't even know. He hasn't posted his stats year, so it would be unfair to assume his strength level.

rattle system? for what? Sounds like a one shot deal, which never works.

If he's untrained, he's better off with a periodization program followed by a maintenance stage.

Theres no reason or need to kill your body right away and overload on everything.

Before hitting the squat rack, practice burpees, squat jumps, and kettlebells. Using technique but more application of power. A stiff body hinders technique...I would save squatting for the second month once he's comfortable with using his body in a 90 degree angle (squat down phase position). The gains are beneficial also because the barbell squat or front squat will add greater results after him preparing for it for a months time as apposed to just jumping right into it.

Squatting in a comfortable and controlled fashion is very important, and that takes so much time and practice, it's something not everyone gets right away. I rather see him gradually get into it within a month or two of work before he starts squatting religiously.

It doesn't make you a better person either because you can lift more in one repetition. You may get embarrassed in other components of fitness such as muscular endurance (Can you do 100 push ups or 50 pull ups consecutively?), power (how well can you combined speed + strength in the shortest amount of time?), flexibility, cardiovascular endurance, agility, hand eye coordination, stability, and balance.

All of fitness components are important. One isn't more important than the other. If you just focus on one, you make yourself weaker overall.

Superheros with one superpower are never popular.
That's why Superman can do so much cool ****...and guys like Arm Fall Off Boy, SQUIRREL GIRL and Cypher aren't well known. Having one superpower isn't cool enough.

Train all fitness components and respect yourself, it's hateful to thyself to be one dimensional. Peace - Flexo.

Last edited:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
i wouldn't call him weak...he may be average or we don't even know. He hasn't posted his stats year, so it would be unfair to assume his strength level.

Rattle system? For what? Sounds like a one shot deal, which never works.

If he's untrained, he's better off with a periodization program followed by a maintenance stage.

Theres no reason or need to kill your body right away and overload on everything.

Before hitting the squat rack, practice burpees, squat jumps, and kettlebells. Using technique but more application of power. A stiff body hinders technique...i would save squatting for the second month once he's comfortable with using his body in a 90 degree angle (squat down phase position). The gains are beneficial also because the barbell squat or front squat will add greater results after him preparing for it for a months time as apposed to just jumping right into it.

Squatting in a comfortable and controlled fashion is very important, and that takes so much time and practice, it's something not everyone gets right away. I rather see him gradually get into it within a month or two of work before he starts squatting religiously.

It doesn't make you a better person either because you can lift more in one repetition. You may get embarrassed in other components of fitness such as muscular endurance (can you do 100 push ups or 50 pull ups consecutively?), power (how well can you combined speed + strength in the shortest amount of time?), flexibility, cardiovascular endurance, agility, hand eye coordination, stability, and balance.

All of fitness components are important. One isn't more important than the other. If you just focus on one, you make yourself weaker overall.

Superheros with one superpower are never popular.
That's why superman can do so much cool ****...and guys like arm fall off boy, squirrel girl and cypher aren't well known. Having one superpower isn't cool enough.

Train all fitness components and respect yourself, it's hateful to thyself to be one dimensional. Peace - flexo.

omfg bro wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

buggin

do not do any type of weird periodization bro, just lift heavy **** and keep adding pounds to the bar

smokes

Huge Member
IDK how to quantify my strength or anything. I work out periodically and stay reasonably fit, have let myself go over the last 6 months or so.

I'm small but strong, at least I can carry my 60kg gf around :lol:

But my budget isn't high enough to go super all out on fitness. I've decided to put the money I have towards the diet end of things as oppose to the gym membership side as I believe diet is more important than equipment.

I have dumbbells that go up to 15kg each. At the moment I'm doing running, bodyweight exercises ie press ups and pull ups, and curls.

Squatting is a difficult exercise for me because of my f**ked knee, I'm not sure if it's something I should be attempting.

At the moment I'm pretty much just working arms/legs/chest due to this, any core exercises that don't require too much strain on your knees would be appreciated (bear in mind I don't have a bar).

p0nder

Starter
LMAO @ this thread. man, OBM is like i don't even know man... I hear what he is saying and he's jacked on the big 3 lifts but there's more to it.

I found out this awesome way to make "hard boiled eggs" that taste better and is super easy to do. i make like 12 at a time: "[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]To make the eggs, simply bake them in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. You can place them directly on the rack or use a muffin tin, which makes it easy move them in and out of the oven in bulk. Once the 30 minutes have passed, remove the eggs from the oven (carefully, because they are hot) and plunge them in cold water for 10 minutes"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]Eggs are like a ****in super food. awesome protein, decent fats, little to no carbs and very filling. I just stick them in my fridge for when I want a snack. Great for "hardgainers" to get extra protein/calories. For bigger guys on a cut just simply stick to the egg white and avoid the yellow (i'm not big on the yolk anyways). [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]@Smokes: @ your training: with dumbbells, a place to do pullups, and space to do bodyweight work you can get in pretty damned good shape. You might not be able to pack on muscle like the freaks in the gym but you'll get to a very athletic/lean(ripped) body with good diet and a decent workout schedule if you are consistent. That stuff is the basis for programs like p90x and others. You can find free p90x downloads on torrent sites and have the full program at your finger tips. Other good, free programs are ones like Convict Conditioning. You don't need to be at a gym lifting crazy heavy to make gains (though I did find heavy squats and deadlifts gave me the fastest gains in fitness when i was a beginner). Be sure to do a variety of things for your fitness. Try new things you never thought of doing before. I just started doing gymnastics once a week. I try to fit in yoga, swimming, basketball, running, cycling, as well as weight lifting/training.
[/FONT]
@ the diet: Keep things as simple as possible. The best way to improve your diet is to write down everything you eat for a week or two. Literally everything, if you had Ketchup with your fries add that in there. I use an app on my phone that calculates the fats/carbs/proteins for me. You can use sites like SparkPeople to help track if you don't have a smart phone. Or just write it all down in a notebook.

In your food choices try to eat whole foods that make sense. Cook up chicken breast, eggs, fish, lean red meat, veggies of all kinds and colors, fruits, nuts and grains. Try to limit refined sugars, limit alcohol, cut out white breads all together. Cook your own meals, cook in advance and freeze/package your stuff for lunches and snacks. If you do eat out use common sense, skip the sauces and bull****, go for grilled chicken over breaded or fried, sub salads for fries, etc. Try to limit the "supplements" if you can but some of the ones I'd recommend are Fish oils capsules (wild salmon or Cod Liver give great omega-3's, sub flax seed oil for the vegans out there) and Whey protein if you are having a hard time meeting your protein levels. Forget the rest for now. It's all a money racket trying to sell you the latest snake oil quick fix remedy. Best "secret" supplement that you're probably over looking is sleep. Set a bed time, adhere to it. Get at least 7 hours a night MINIMUM.

Getting into more advanced stuff (better diets) There's some calculations and maths you need to do. Find out your BMR (base metabolic rate). this lets you know how much calories your body burns just breathing each day. You can do some adjustments depending on your activity level but essentially you want to eat 3-500 calories a day above that number to start adding weight at a healthy level. If you do that for 2 weeks and you see no change in the mirror/scale, inrease by 100 cals/day for a week until you do (you will). You should get enough protein to keep your Lean Body Mass (the muscle you already have) that usually works out to about 1 gram of protein per pound of muscle on your frame. For a guy trying to add muscle you can go ahead and do a 1-to-1 for your body weight. So if you weigh 160 lbs you should get roughly 160 grams of protein a day. If you make sure you get this and meet your caloric needs your fats and carbs should line up nicely. Keep tracking, recording, tweaking for better results. The longer and more consistent you are the better you will look and feel.

[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]One thing I've found about fitness/diet is that it really all boils down to one thing: Consistency. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]
If you have a consistent diet and schedule that allows you to workout on a regular basis you're going to see gains in fitness, it really is a matter of sticking to it on a regular basis and not doing "cheat days" or taking extended breaks from working out. I've dropped 75 lbs, over 10% body fat and increased my athletics, strength, and flexibility over the last 2 years doing this. So I know this **** works.
[/FONT]

metrocard

Legend
Everything has carbs. It's impossible to not eat carbs for 12-14 days.
Carbs are the primary source of ATP. Using fat is the only source for energy isn't natural unless and is only going to work you're working out softcore. No point in working out if you're not trying to achieve anything.

This is a short fix diet, and terrible for long term.
Mental fogness and fatigue aren't suppose to happen from fueling your body.

Animal fats aren't good for you(saturated)

uber

Benchwarmer
Everything has carbs. It's impossible to not eat carbs for 12-14 days.
Carbs are the primary source of ATP. Using fat is the only source for energy isn't natural unless and is only going to work you're working out softcore. No point in working out if you're not trying to achieve anything.

This is a short fix diet, and terrible for long term.
Mental fogness and fatigue aren't suppose to happen from fueling your body.

Animal fats aren't good for you(saturated)

It's not like your eating fat the whole day. The distribution is 60% fat, 35% proteins and ~5% carbs. And your carbs are only from vegetables to give your body vitamins and roughage. The first 12 days you are giving your body time to adapt to start using fat as the primary energy source (and belive me, it's not impossible). After that you have the first "refeed" and then every 5 days one or two "refeed days". It's really not that bad.

metrocard

Legend
It's not like your eating fat the whole day. The distribution is 60% fat, 35% proteins and ~5% carbs. And your carbs are only from vegetables to give your body vitamins and roughage. The first 12 days you are giving your body time to adapt to start using fat as the primary energy source (and belive me, it's not impossible). After that you have the first "refeed" and then every 5 days one or two "refeed days". It's really not that bad.

Competitive athletes or people who train at high levels of fitness cannot follow this diet because of low glycogens. Humans are physically impaired if you take away their carbs.

Carbs are a primary source of ATP. Theres nothing wrong with carbs, it's just a matter on how you balance you low glycemic and high glycemic carbs and keeping it at a 50-55% of your dietary intake. This also builds up your arteries when you get older.

uber

Benchwarmer
Competitive athletes or people who train at high levels of fitness cannot follow this diet because of low glycogens. Humans are physically impaired if you take away their carbs.

Carbs are a primary source of ATP. Theres nothing wrong with carbs, it's just a matter on how you balance you low glycemic and high glycemic carbs and keeping it at a 50-55% of your dietary intake. This also builds up your arteries when you get older.

I'm not even trying to argue with you. I used the diet for a about 3 months only to loose body fat. I'm not saying it's the new way of life or something like that. Or maybe we have a different understanding what the word "diet" means :)

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Hey guys I saw this thread and it reminds me of my brother (the one in the #3Marbury jersey)....

He did some religious fast/diet and ended up losing 40lbs but during the middle of the fast (which runs like a good 30-40 days) somehow we think it triggered a "psychotic" episode (or was atleast part of what triggered it). He will be 28 exactly a month from today, never had ANY sort of mental health problems or issues in his life and out of no where this just happened now he is in a psych Ward at a local hospital for probably the next few days till he gets stable (he should be fine, he is just wicked manic and bipolar has a history on my fathers side of the family I guess).

I mean we also lost both grandparents within 6 weeks last summer, he and his wife had their first baby exactly 4 months ago, etc so there's other contributing factors it seems but point is don't put your body under too much stress......take it easy and stay healthy. Thought I share this incase it can somehow help anyone here when looking at dieting, etc

Good luck and :gony:

Sent from my LG-P999

metrocard

Legend
Sorry about the loses of the grandparents, thats a life changing event; I didn't handle mines too well so you're right about the stress.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Yeah thanks Metro I appreciate it.....

It just came out of no where (my brother becoming "manic") and the biggest change that happened right before was this fasting/diet thing he was doing....who knows if it triggered something in him or what....but that's why I brought it up just so ppl don't over do it with diets and what not because it can impact you negatively. I am pretty sure there has to be other factors (I.e. grandparents passing, new baby, etc) but Im no doctor, all I know is my brother is a college grad, doesn't do drugs, never had any mental health issues and all the sudden he is in a friggin psych ward and the biggest change prior was his diet so everyone take it easy and lets enjoy a Celtic ass kicking tonight!!!!

Sent from my LG-P999

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Hello all,

I haven't posted on this site in months because I was irritated at some people on the forum and I've been busier due to being in college now, but I decided to take a look this afternoon and see what you guys are up to.

In case you all missed it, I haven't been healthy my entire life. Ive always been overweight and sluggish. In October, I was sick and did nothing but eat. I ended up at around 235 pounds. In November, I decided to make a change for myself and do something. It started with going to the gym everyday

I checked myself in the scale last week and i weighed 218. I lost 17 pounds in a matter of months. I beat the Freshman 15, and I'm not stopping.

Admittingly, my diet isn't stellar, and I seldom eat fruit. But the most important thing I did was quit putting **** into my body on a consistent basis; like Metro said, moderation is key. My diet is alright and it doesn't suck. I quit eating red meat, white bread, quit drinking soda, really cut back on fried foods, and started calorie counting. The Myfitnesspal app was very helpful to me in this. If I eat burgers, I'm eating veggie and turkey burgers. If I'm eating anything fried, it's probably sweet potato fries. I also eat things like tuna wraps, chicken salads, granola, greek yogurt, nuts, and so on. I do mostly cardio with muscle every now and then; most of the fat is on my stomach so I'm trying my best to focus on abs. I'm starting to get into running, albeit progress is slow and steady. Hoping to do a 5K this summer when I get back to Vegas, although in 115 degree heat that may not be a good idea. Also during the summer I plan on playing basketball again and doing something like ballroom dancing to keep myself active.

Once I month I go for a cleanse and drink Blueprint juice. Here is the website http://blueprintcleanse.com/
It's a bit pricey considering it's $10 a bottle and you're having one every day, but remember this is taking the place of a meal. It's nutritious and tastes great and leaves me feeling more energetic throughout the day. You can pick it up at Whole Foods; I usually shop at the one at the Bowery at the 2nd Ave F Train station.

And as for humans not needing to eat meat, Metro you're absolutely right. That has been proven; plenty of my vegan/vegetarian friends have told me this before as further justification for their lifestyle. Do your body right and it loves you back. I don't think I could give white meat up, though.

Anything I'm missing in my diet/daily routine? Hope y'all are doing well.

metrocard

Legend
Yeah thanks Metro I appreciate it.....

It just came out of no where (my brother becoming "manic") and the biggest change that happened right before was this fasting/diet thing he was doing....who knows if it triggered something in him or what....but that's why I brought it up just so ppl don't over do it with diets and what not because it can impact you negatively. I am pretty sure there has to be other factors (I.e. grandparents passing, new baby, etc) but Im no doctor, all I know is my brother is a college grad, doesn't do drugs, never had any mental health issues and all the sudden he is in a friggin psych ward and the biggest change prior was his diet so everyone take it easy and lets enjoy a Celtic ass kicking tonight!!!!

Sent from my LG-P999

Interesting man, I may look into the fasting thing for further research.

Hello all,

I haven't posted on this site in months because I was irritated at some people on the forum and I've been busier due to being in college now, but I decided to take a look this afternoon and see what you guys are up to.

In case you all missed it, I haven't been healthy my entire life. Ive always been overweight and sluggish. In October, I was sick and did nothing but eat. I ended up at around 235 pounds. In November, I decided to make a change for myself and do something. It started with going to the gym everyday

I checked myself in the scale last week and i weighed 218. I lost 17 pounds in a matter of months. I beat the Freshman 15, and I'm not stopping.

Admittingly, my diet isn't stellar, and I seldom eat fruit. But the most important thing I did was quit putting **** into my body on a consistent basis; like Metro said, moderation is key. My diet is alright and it doesn't suck. I quit eating red meat, white bread, quit drinking soda, really cut back on fried foods, and started calorie counting. The Myfitnesspal app was very helpful to me in this. If I eat burgers, I'm eating veggie and turkey burgers. If I'm eating anything fried, it's probably sweet potato fries. I also eat things like tuna wraps, chicken salads, granola, greek yogurt, nuts, and so on. I do mostly cardio with muscle every now and then; most of the fat is on my stomach so I'm trying my best to focus on abs. I'm starting to get into running, albeit progress is slow and steady. Hoping to do a 5K this summer when I get back to Vegas, although in 115 degree heat that may not be a good idea. Also during the summer I plan on playing basketball again and doing something like ballroom dancing to keep myself active.

Once I month I go for a cleanse and drink Blueprint juice. Here is the website http://blueprintcleanse.com/
It's a bit pricey considering it's $10 a bottle and you're having one every day, but remember this is taking the place of a meal. It's nutritious and tastes great and leaves me feeling more energetic throughout the day. You can pick it up at Whole Foods; I usually shop at the one at the Bowery at the 2nd Ave F Train station.

And as for humans not needing to eat meat, Metro you're absolutely right. That has been proven; plenty of my vegan/vegetarian friends have told me this before as further justification for their lifestyle. Do your body right and it loves you back. I don't think I could give white meat up, though.

Anything I'm missing in my diet/daily routine? Hope y'all are doing well.

You may have to measure your activity level in the day.

How many times in the week do you workout?
How long and intense are these workouts?
How many hours a day are you sleeping?
Between what time in the day you start eating and what time in the day do you stop eating?

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
How many times in the week do you workout? Typically 4-5 days a week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday or Sunday or both.
How long and intense are these workouts? Moderate, Since I still feel like I'm in the initial stages of getting fit and burning fat. Treadmill for usually 30-40 min depending on how I'm feeling, mixing brisk walking with jogging. Then exercise bike for 20 min at a consistent moderate pace. Then I work on the weight machines. I heard dumbbells are the best option though; I don't have a consistent muscle workout, unfortunately.
How many hours a day are you sleeping? 6-7 on the weekdays, 8-9 on the weekends.
Between what time in the day you start eating and what time in the day do you stop eating? On the weekdays I start at 10:30, eat lunch at around 2, and dinner at around 9. Some snacking in between. I used to have a problem with late night snacking but I'm getting better at it.