Brooklyn Pre-Game Thread

smokes

Huge Member
Thread will be coming up late tonight. If anyone jacks this thread from me I'm going to stick my e-fist up their e-ass :lol:

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Some articles creeping around saying Deron doesn't like the Nets 1 on 1 ISO offense. Ever since HS, the guy was in a motion offense running sets, rather than individual plays. Scouts said that Avery's implemented UCLA cuts into his system....but not enough in Deron's book.

Nix

Rookie
If Melo plays which I think he will because he seems to love this early rivalry then we win this game. BK played a hard fought game tonight and lost in the end. Knicks should look to come out strong early.

finestrg

Rotation player
If Melo's out, continue to stick with Cope

I agree with Nix -- if Melo plays, we win this game...If not, it'll be tough, even with BKLYN playing game 2 of a back to back...Thank God it's at MSG -- even w/o Melo, we'll have a shot..Like I had said a couple of weeks ago when Melo missed a string of games (and got laughed at), start Copeland in his place. It's a logical choice -- offense for offense at the same position...Glad to see Cope's been given a shot the past couple of games. It's clear that coach likes him and values the offensive punch he brings...As do I -- Part of me even wants to see Cope continue to play once Melo returns. I actually think we should seriously consider making Cope a mainstay in this rotation, maybe even becoming the primary backup to Melo..Have to see how his overall game continues to progress though before we cross that bridge.

Very simple with this kid -- Cope just needs to play much better/more committed defense in order to stay on the floor. Saw it in the Cav game -- Cope came out shooting the ball strong but didn't play any D and got benched quick...Same thing early on against Houston -- he wasn't playing any D and he sat...In the 2nd half, I know we were out of it quck after their big run, but Cope's defense picked up considerably from what I saw and he stayed on the floor. Woody must've gotten to him because his intensity on D clearly picked up, esp. in that stretch where we cut it to 5 and Cope scored 9 pts. in a row...Big plus...I wanna see that carry over to tonight's game if Melo continues to sit. The 29 points were no fluke -- this dude can score it -- just needs to bring it on D as well. Hopefully there was a message and he got it...If no Melo, I'll have no problem featuring Cope in the offense again tonight..Wouldn't mind seeing young fella put up 20-25 shots tonight as long as he's giving effort defensively.

finestrg

Rotation player
Not sure. Did it officially come down that he's out? I hope he's in man -- these next 3 games are all winnable WITH Melo -- but reading Newsday this morning and Melo's talking about the ankle still being bruised and there still being some imflamation in there. Hey if he needs an extra day -- it would actually be 2 -- next game would be Friday against the Bulls at home. Could only help the finger out too I guess...Kinda got the itch for more Copeland anyway.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
Not sure. Did it officially come down that he's out? I hope he's in man -- these next 3 games are all winnable WITH Melo -- but reading Newsday this morning and Melo's talking about the ankle still being bruised and there still being some imflamation in there. Hey if he needs an extra day -- it would actually be 2 -- next game would be Friday against the Bulls at home. Could only help the finger out too I guess...Kinda got the itch for more Copeland anyway.

Game time decision.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Melo shouldn't play if isn't ready. We'll just have to make due. We should still be competitive even without him.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
He's not playing, anytime he's a game time decision he won't play. Personally i think he should just say he's not gonna play earlier so his replacement can adjust mentally to starting

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Kiyaman

Legend
It is 25 games in the season now .. no easy games

We face the Brooklyn Nets tonight in MSG, Brooklyn lost lastnight in Brooklyn by 2 points to the Utah Jazz Bigman Jefferson stopping Nets inside scoring in the paint, plus the uptempo speed of the Jazz players in the final quarter empty all the gas the Nets had in their tank.

Could the Nets face another running uptempo team at the end of a back to back?
HELL-NO! Miami & OKC would have a 25 point lead at halftime.

Could the Nets win in MSG at the end of a back to back with the Knicks walking the ball upcourt on practically every offensive possession for 48 minutes with a high scoring Melo adding 35 points?
HELL YEAH! ....
for some reason or another all our Strong F/C (Amare, Camby, Rasheed, Kurt) are in relax-mode the first 25 games of our 2012-13 season.

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree with Nix -- if Melo plays, we win this game...If not, it'll be tough, even with BKLYN playing game 2 of a back to back...Thank God it's at MSG -- even w/o Melo, we'll have a shot..Like I had said a couple of weeks ago when Melo missed a string of games (and got laughed at), start Copeland in his place. It's a logical choice -- offense for offense at the same position...Glad to see Cope's been given a shot the past couple of games. It's clear that coach likes him and values the offensive punch he brings...As do I -- Part of me even wants to see Cope continue to play once Melo returns. I actually think we should seriously consider making Cope a mainstay in this rotation, maybe even becoming the primary backup to Melo..Have to see how his overall game continues to progress though before we cross that bridge.

Very simple with this kid -- Cope just needs to play much better/more committed defense in order to stay on the floor. Saw it in the Cav game -- Cope came out shooting the ball strong but didn't play any D and got benched quick...Same thing early on against Houston -- he wasn't playing any D and he sat...In the 2nd half, I know we were out of it quck after their big run, but Cope's defense picked up considerably from what I saw and he stayed on the floor. Woody must've gotten to him because his intensity on D clearly picked up, esp. in that stretch where we cut it to 5 and Cope scored 9 pts. in a row...Big plus...I wanna see that carry over to tonight's game if Melo continues to sit. The 29 points were no fluke -- this dude can score it -- just needs to bring it on D as well. Hopefully there was a message and he got it...If no Melo, I'll have no problem featuring Cope in the offense again tonight..Wouldn't mind seeing young fella put up 20-25 shots tonight as long as he's giving effort defensively.

I cant agree with u on the Cavs & Rockets game with Copeland on the floor .. Knicks had the lead in the Cavs game untill we took out Copeland .. the Knicks chewed down a Houston 12 point lead to a 5 point lead with Copeland on the floor .. 4 minutes after taking Copeland out for JR the Houston 5 point lead increase to a 20 point lead.
Copeland young bigbody next to Tyson & Novak does make our oponents shoot jumpers more than drive to score inside.
Woody been making wrong decisions when substituting rookie Copeland all season. First move is not letting a rookie receive playingtime at least every other game to get familiar with NBA ball.

finestrg

Rotation player
I cant agree with u on the Cavs & Rockets game with Copeland on the floor .. Knicks had the lead in the Cavs game untill we took out Copeland .. the Knicks chewed down a Houston 12 point lead to a 5 point lead with Copeland on the floor .. 4 minutes after taking Copeland out for JR the Houston 5 point lead increase to a 20 point lead.
Copeland young bigbody next to Tyson & Novak does make our oponents shoot jumpers more than drive to score inside.
Woody been making wrong decisions when substituting rookie Copeland all season. First move is not letting a rookie receive playingtime at least every other game to get familiar with NBA ball.

Not sure what you're saying here or what you think I said...I'm saying play the kid, even heavy mins when scoring punch is needed (obviously with Melo out). It seems you're advocating that too. Only thing -- the dude's gotta bring it on the defensive end, at least somewhat. He came out firing and hitting from the perimeter against Cleveland yet got yanked after he dogged it on defense. And against Houston (I was at the game), he didn't come out strong offensively early (I believe all of his offense or the bulk of it came in the 2nd half) but yet again, didn't play defense, wasn't getting back on defense etc. in that 1st half, and coach yanked him again..In the 2nd half, his defensive intensity picked up considerably and he continued to play and produce (which makes me believe they spoke to him about it during halftime)...All true...Go back and look at the tape...Can't say I disagree with Woody here at all -- if you dog it on D, you should get removed from the game. That goes for anyone, esp. a rookie.

I want the kid out there playing man -- I think he's too talented offensely not to, esp. with Melo out. Just gotta bring a better effort defensively and he'll play and won't give coach any reason to yank him prematurely...You don't play defense, you make it easy on coach to pull you...If he gives effort all-around he's gonna get time now, maybe he'll even make a case for playing time once Melo returns. Not like he can't play D -- we've seen it -- matched up against Beasley for PHX he did a nice job even blocking his shot at the rim once; did a nice job against Jared Sullinger in the post the couple of times we played Boston in the preseason (even blocked a 3-pt attempt to seal the deal at the end of one of those games), etc...We need to see it consistently. If we do, he'll make one hell of an interesting case for consistent PT.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Not sure what you're saying here or what you think I said...I'm saying play the kid, even heavy mins when scoring punch is needed (obviously with Melo out). It seems you're advocating that too. Only thing -- the dude's gotta bring it on the defensive end, at least somewhat. He came out firing and hitting from the perimeter against Cleveland yet got yanked after he dogged it on defense. And against Houston (I was at the game), he didn't come out strong offensively early (I believe all of his offense or the bulk of it came in the 2nd half) but yet again, didn't play defense, wasn't getting back on defense etc. in that 1st half, and coach yanked him again..In the 2nd half, his defensive intensity picked up considerably and he continued to play and produce (which makes me believe they spoke to him about it during halftime)...All true...Go back and look at the tape...Can't say I disagree with Woody here at all -- if you dog it on D, you should get removed from the game. That goes for anyone, esp. a rookie.

I want the kid out there playing man -- I think he's too talented offensely not to, esp. with Melo out. Just gotta bring a better effort defensively and he'll play and won't give coach any reason to yank him prematurely...You don't play defense, you make it easy on coach to pull you...If he gives effort all-around he's gonna get time now, maybe he'll even make a case for playing time once Melo returns. Not like he can't play D -- we've seen it -- matched up against Beasley for PHX he did a nice job even blocking his shot at the rim once; did a nice job against Jared Sullinger in the post the couple of times we played Boston in the preseason (even blocked a 3-pt attempt to seal the deal at the end of one of those games), etc...We need to see it consistently. If we do, he'll make one hell of an interesting case for consistent PT.

We need to change this to a Copeland vs Woody thread LOL

What your mentioning is true to a sense, but Copeland wasnt pulled out of the game for poor defense (if so alot of our players wouldve been pulled out of the Cavs/Rockets games).

Copeland was a starter in both games, Woody was depending on his bench-players JR & Novak's minutes & scoring to makeup for a missing Melo in both games.

In the Houston game Copeland played the first 7 minutes of the 3rd quarter, because in 3rd qtr. the starting lineup had chip away at Rockets 12 point lead down to a 5 point lead with 5 min remaining in the 3rd (Tyson, Copeland, Brewer, Kidd, Felton).
Woody was not suppose to take Copeland out of the game when we were only down by 5 points with 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd.
Jason Kidd was the only player tired that needed a rest, and shouldve been replaced by Pablo (we needed a steal to bring the Rockets lead down to 3).
But Woody took Copeland out so JR could get the final 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter, then 2 minutes later Woody took Brewer out so Novak could get the final 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Then called time-out with 1 minute left in the 3rd with the Knicks down by 20 points.
I'm not going to go into the Cavs game we won that on another last shot.

The Knicks vs Brooklyn game with Novak out with injury ..
Copeland bigbody became a factor in the WIN by boxingout/setting screens/running back on defense .. in some games i would rather have Copeland replace Kurt or Rasheed at banging bodies in the paint on offense/defense .. in other games I would like to have a peremeter shooter Novak increase our lead.