Knicks V Spurs - Thu, Jan 3 @ 7:30.

+ rep poll: Will STAT's first touch be a TO?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CoolClyde

defensity.jpg

and the Junior Swish dunk did it for me tonite. I don't think I've screamed "WOW!!"
so loud at the TV all year! just an amazing display of athleticism, and diming by the Prigger.

watched the pre-game, Wood Son preaching about getting back to the defense Knicks
displayed at beginning of season... he showed the Knicks tapes (#knickstape!) of early games,
and every player talked about how important the D was.

on top of that, STAT says he was never taught defense! What a fu*cking blow to Antoni!

and the men of NYK pulled it together on the Defensity tip. what some saw as a sloppy
first quarter was a continuation of Knicks offense sputtering, yet not allowing the typical
big lead that's started off most losses... KEY!!

maybe San Antone Slugs were tired, but once Melo, JR and (finally) Novakocaine started
dropping buckets, the tide was turned.

Mega-props to Pablito von Prigger, agreed he gets MVP of this game, for taking over
and leading the team to a victorious offensive spurt. Once again, the dime to JR
has to be the highlight of the year, Knicks OR NBA.
HOT DAMN!!

a great win, and hopefully a blueprint of things to come.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
When focused we can slap the ****e out of any team.

40 points at HT=game, set and match.

18-2 when holding opponents under 100 points. Dying to see how we look once Shump is back. Healthy and focused Knicks can be scary good in the spring.

bigapple

Starter
on top of that, STAT says he was never taught defense! What a fu*cking blow to Antoni!

a great win, and hopefully a blueprint of things to come.

Danotni never care on D his style r threes and pick and roll only.
But once Suns sweept Spurs 4-0.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Just loved watching this game.

I love the fact that Chandler and Camby started together at the 4&5 and played together in that fashion quite a bit during the game. That tandem gives us lock down in the paint and dominant rebounding. The only downside being a lack of scoring. However I`d like to see more of it and I`m sure that we will. When Felton returns he will help that tandem in scoring because of his ability to feed Tyson on the pick and roll and the alley oop.

Great to see Amare back and playing once again. Although he is still very rusty the signs are there that he may be finally getting the message about defending. He had some nice defensive moments and was setting screens. The shooting is coming back slowly and it will take time. Had it not been for a couple of shots that were dropping but then rimmed out his shooting numbers would have been better. I have faith that Amare will come back and be a brilliant scorer once again.

I think that as Amare continues to gain his fitness the coach will gradually have `Melo, Amare and Tyson on the court together as this has to be the ultimate aim. Those three will, I believe, start games together once Amare is up to speed. I am one of those people who believes that they can and will play brilliantly together.

Melo was brilliant. He went about his business in a more quiet way. He didn`t put up amazing scoring numbers but was quietly deadly, doing a little bit of everything.

This team will continue to improve as players who are coming back from injury continue to gain their fitness with every minute that they play. With Shumpert coming back in the next couple of weeks we will be better on perimeter defense and have a young, athletic back court player who can lock down on any opposing guard.

Strap yourselves in Knick fans. 2013 is going to be a great year for us, I just know it.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Melo will find amare and get him going. I'd rather melo average 25 then 30 if it help stat get close to 20 and boost his assist numbers because in order to achieve this mvp campaign he is on he has to get more dimes

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Kiyaman

Legend
10 more strategic games like this .. ECF here we come

Nice observation. STAT was actually setting screens this game and not just slipping off of the defender.

And he had a quiet game but Camby was huge for us blocking shots, rebounding, boxing out, and making delicious passes. The rotations have been much improved this game. Good adjustment by Woody.

Woody put one over on me .. giving decent minutes to a 10+ Man rotation, plus pushing da ball in the 2nd half on an oponent playing their 4th game in 5 days ..
100 - 83 Knicks WIN

Tyson & Camby gellin in a lineup annnnd Melo & Stat workin off each other in a lineup .. what more could u ask for .. Pablo steppin up a level as a pass-first PG, JR acceptin the role as a backcourt SG gellin with rookie PG-Pablo .. Brewer & Copeland defense givin players rest .. and Novak's 3-ball shooting taking advantage of Melo, Stat, and Tyson being double-team.
Team-Chemistry thanx to Jason Kidd .. we needed that to overcome coach Pop system...

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Great game by everyone. I thought Pablo and Camby made a difference. Thanks god Felton was on the bench. I am not saing Pablo is a better point guard but i will say that he is a lot smarter.
Does not take stupid contested shots, moves the ball, finds an open man, plays D at all times, nothing crazy, just doing what a good point guard should be doing. But i will add, that we need Felton, the one that showed up in Miami. I know he cant play at that level every game, but as long as he plays smart, it will be good enough. Hopefully he has time to think and stays in shape till he comes back.
With him playing smart, Stat getting in game shape and Shump coming back, we should be in the eastern conf. final at least.

Last edited:

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Watched the game last night and was truly happy with the all around performance. Pablo did great running the point without any turnovers which was MAJOR for him, especially since he hasn't been looking very good lately. Felton is down and Kidd looks like he needs a rest as his shooting is suffering.

That JR dunk was no joke, the highlight of the game. Novak finally knocking down those shots. I think it has alot to do with Stat being back, as he got alot more open shots this game, eventhough he been missing even the open ones lately. I have confidence in him and think it will start raining threes from now on.

Defense was way better, they locked the inside down. Even when someone got through they got hammered, which is what i believe it should always happen.

Final Note: Spurs missed alot of open threes, it was not just the defense. We got alot to improve on still, if they weren't tired and those threes went down we probably would have been a tight game.

KingCharles34

All Star
JR Smith has become the best shooting guard in the East. Great defense last night, we need to keep it up and get that #1 spot back. I thought Stat looked decent, i actually noticed at times he did a much better job of positioning himself on defense. This is undeniably the GOAT Knicks team

Yeah Stats defense was probably the best thing I took from last night's game. If he can keep that up and let his offense come around... its gonna get ugly for the rest of the league

Keep up the intensity Bockers, play hard, have fun, and stay focus. Do this all the way thru the season and yall will get all the rest you want.... while reclining back relaxing on that float as it cruises through the Canyon of Heroes.
:gony:

Forrest17

Rotation player
At what point do we Start JR Smith?

I mean, yeah, its great having him come of the bench, but its not like he can't play with Melo. He's shown that he a willing passer and plays well with Carmelo whenever hes on.

Especially with Felton out and Kidd playing the point. I don't see much of a reason not to start him.

Is it much of a coincidence that we fall behind at the start of games, but when JR comes in and starts getting more and more minutes we make huge come backs?

Also its not like we have him locked down under team control. Star 6th men rarely ever stay with their teams. They move to teams that will start them. If we wanna keep him we should start him.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
At what point do we Start JR Smith?

I mean, yeah, its great having him come of the bench, but its not like he can't play with Melo. He's shown that he a willing passer and plays well with Carmelo whenever hes on.

Especially with Felton out and Kidd playing the point. I don't see much of a reason not to start him.

Is it much of a coincidence that we fall behind at the start of games, but when JR comes in and starts getting more and more minutes we make huge come backs?

Also its not like we have him locked down under team control. Star 6th men rarely ever stay with their teams. They move to teams that will start them. If we wanna keep him we should start him.

Great post,

I`ve been thinking the same thing lately. Before the season started I would have said not to start him because he was too erratic, making bad shot choices, taking too many shots etc. All the things that many others on this board would have agreed with. But, this season JR has really matured. His talent and ability has never been in doubt but this year he has added maturity and a whole new team ethic. He is making better decisions about his shots, he is getting his team mates involved and is defending pretty well. I may be wrong but I think it`s the first time in his career that he has really done all those things.

If Woodson is going to go with the tandem of Camby and Chandler starting then I think that JR should also start. The starting five against the Spurs last night was great for defending the paint and rebounding but it gave us very few scoring options. Inserting JR into the starting five would give us a massive scoring boost.

smokes

Huge Member
^ I respectfully disagree with both posts.

Yes JR has the quality to start there is no doubt about it. However he will not be starting when Shumpert returns, and he is having an incredible season as the 6th man. Why bring him into the starting 5 now and risk disrupting the way the team and JR plays only to have him return to that role within the month?

Hopefully over the long haul JR will realize this is the best role for him. I really don't think it matters whether he starts or not, for him as a player. He still plays 30+ minutes a night and will probably continue to play at least 28 even with Shumpert back. He closes games for us.

I get that our offense is poor with the starting 5 but I believe in these coaches who try to keep players in their roles where possible.

Also from all the talk around the locker-room and the stuff Breen and Clyde say, I really hope JR will embrace the 6th man role.

Yeah a lot of 6th men move on to start and a lot of them fail in those roles. Crawford and JR are definitely starting calibre players it just makes much more sense for them and their teams for them to provide high quality offense within the second unit.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Hard to disagree with Forrest17 about JR. We all know that he wants to start, he deserves to start and we will have more offensive options right from the get go.
I raised this question before, why Ronny Brewer is in the starting lineup?
I know, his shooting has improved last couple of games, but JR starting instead of Brewer makes a lot more sense IMO.

deamon

Benchwarmer
How many times this has to be told? It's not about Smith can't play near Melo, he can, we see it.
Defense wins title. You have to start with defender, and you have to have scorer in 2nd unit.
Mavs did it and won title, don't mess chemistry. Stevenson was starter SG, and Terry was coming from bench.