We need this

Red

TYPE-A
The Catalyst.
Without him driving and getting players involved we are a bunch of individual parts. He can knock down the occasional three and he brings a toughness to this team.

ny_u_felton_b1_600.jpg

The Mouth.
He provides valuable depth, leadership, defense, IQ, and has a touch all the way out to the three point line. His length gives teams problems and his attitude motives. He too adds a level of toughness.

mancave31.jpg

The Neophyte.
I think the short video clip below says it all but just in case it doesn't...
He provides much needed and anticipated perimeter defense as well as athletic ability. This not only helps him get to the basket but increases our overall level of athleticism. Brewer nor JR were never going to supplant him if things went right.

We are not good enough to get by without a full arsenal of our best players, no team is. Let's not get it twisted, we need them.

There is little to no difference between the top teams in the NBA. A player here, an off/on night, an injury there and things change on a dime. Look at last years playoffs; both IND and OKC had series leads on the eventual champs. And one of their stars was hurt.

In order for us to win a chip we'll be riding the razors edge... hoping everything goes right for us.:crossfingers:

metrocard

Legend
His slashing is an asset no question, solid passer and has a nice floater.

But I think we're using this losing streak to make Felton look good.

Felton can either make this team better or make this team worse. We don't know how well he's recovered from his hand injury.

I won't call Felton overrated yet, but it's really hard to give an unbias view on Felton because everyone who isn't playing during our cold streak will look awesome right now. They will look like the ultimate solution to our problems until they become our problem.

Does that make sense?

knicksince 93

Rotation player

Felton can either make this team better or make this team worse. We don't know how well he's recovered from his hand injury.

I won't call Felton overrated yet, but it's really hard to give an unbias view on Felton because everyone who isn't playing during our cold streak will look awesome right now. They will look like the ultimate solution to our problems until they become our problem.

Does that make sense?
because he has great games in which he runs the offense and other games in which he think hes a.i. and he doesnt lmow his boundaries. why cant he be just consistent. i think these games show how important he is to us. maybe he is overrated but on our team and system makeup maybe he is underrated by us

Red

TYPE-A

Does that make sense?

Kidd's weaknesses are showing at the 1. He's too slow to get in the lane, and when guarding quicker PG's he;s getting beat (to be fair so too was Felt, but Felt gets in the lane much better). He's better at the off-guard making one if two quick decisions; shoot or pass.

And yeah, IF they are our problem there's nothing more we can do. But so far two of them have contributed to a solid start, and Shump has the potential.

When considering us clicking on all cylinders, the good should outweigh the bad.

*BTW Felton's decline coincides with a broken hand(s) injury. Can't fault him for being tough and competitive knowing we have talent to replace him.:shrug:

metrocard

Legend
Kidd's weaknesses are showing at the 1. He's too slow to get in the lane, and when guarding quicker PG's he;s getting beat (to be fair so too was Felt, but Felt gets in the lane much better). He's better at the off-guard making one if two quick decisions; shoot or pass.

And yeah, IF they are our problem there's nothing more we can do. But so far two of them have contributed to a solid start, and Shump has the potential.

When considering us clicking on all cylinders, the good should outweigh the bad.

*BTW Felton's decline coincides with a broken hand(s) injury. Can't fault him for being tough and competitive knowing we have talent to replace him.:shrug:

I agree, Kidd is like a 70 rating on speed, where Felton is like a 90. It makes a huge difference consider Knicks don't have the foot speed to keep up with other speed sometimes. Our faster players are Felton, Shumpert and Smith...Melo helps out alot because he can outrun most PF's without trying.

Hopefully Felton heals up soon.

We're close to Miami. .5 games out of the #1 seed.... we're just going through some challenging phases, like you said...we really MISS Rasheed's presence and Felton's penetrating and facilitating the offense.

We looked unstoppable with those two guys.

Green rep for Red. (probably makes the best post in any Knick forum you can find)

Rob Low

Rotation player
I was just telling a friend that all the things that we're struggling with right now are things that will be addressed when we get healthy. We're struggling with penetration to the rim (Felton), perimeter defense (Shump), communication on defense (Sheed), rebounds (Camby,Sheed). If we can get everyone healthy we should start blowing teams out again.

Kiyaman

Legend
We need this too

defense.gif

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

We need Felton & rookie Pablo in the rotation so old-head Kidd could receive spot minutes during regular season to be healthy for the postseason.

We need Rasheed/Kurt/Camby veteran experience to give us some deep-depth in the frontcourt.

Shump is a "mystery" .. we will be expecting the 6th-man Shump that gell into a star SG in the backcourt with Jeremy Lin .. we will not be expectin the struggling Shump that couldnt make the rookie All-Star roster.

Red

TYPE-A
:agreed::agreed::agreed:

We need Felton & rookie Pablo in the rotation so old-head Kidd could receive spot minutes during regular season to be healthy for the postseason.

We need Rasheed/Kurt/Camby veteran experience to give us some deep-depth in the frontcourt.

Shump is a "mystery" .. we will be expecting the 6th-man Shump that gell into a star SG in the backcourt with Jeremy Lin .. we will not be expectin the struggling Shump that couldnt make the rookie All-Star roster.

gurney.png

Except for Kurt... those dudes and their foot problems.smh

If we keep it up, Kidd will be right there too.

bigapple

Starter
those 3 missing gonna help for sure but i dont get one thing

Bulls was blowing us 3 times but Knicks get closed to finshing with some better score @ the end but how come Bucks won with them twice EVEN they were down -29 in UC and then @ home they were wich same roster.

Red

TYPE-A
Courtesy of espn.com

One thing's become crystal clear during the Knicks' current three-game skid: This team misses Raymond Felton. Badly.

New York's ball movement was non-existent at times in Friday night's 108-101 loss to the Bulls, just as it was in losses to Indiana and Boston.

Felton would have made a difference. Just ask Carmelo Anthony.

"We miss Raymond," Anthony said after scoring too many of his game-high 39 points in isolation Friday. "We miss him pushing the tempo of the game. There’s a lot of things that when he was playing we were getting [and] we’re not getting right now. When we have different guys in the lineup, the games change
The games have changed for the worse for the Knicks (23-13) of late.

Jason Kidd has hit a rough patch. He missed all six of his shots and finished without an assist in 20 minutes. Kidd had an uncharacteristic five turnovers Thursday in Indy.

No one on the Knicks would ever say it, but you have to wonder if the minutes are catching up with the 39-year-old vet.

Pablo Prigioni (12 points, eight assists) picked up the slack on Friday, but he's been inconsistent in Felton's absence, with three assists or fewer in half of the eight games Felton's missed with a fractured right pinky.

No one is saying that Kidd and Prigioni are the reason New York is 3-5 since Felton went down, but the Knicks were quick to admit they've missed Felton's presence at the point.

"There's no doubt," Steve Novak said. "The way he plays the pick-and-roll and the attention he draws. He's aggressive in scoring the ball. Pablo has done a great job and Jason has, too, but we miss him and we hope he'll be back in a couple weeks."

Due in part to bone bruises in both hands, Felton was struggling with his shot before he went down. Fans and some media were questioning his shot selection. So the injury in some ways was a blessing in disguise. It will give the bone bruises in Felton's hands a chance to heal.

Felton told reporters recently that he's hoping to return on Jan. 21 against Brooklyn.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton

I have never been a Felton fan, but when he is not playing hero ball he can be very effective. We definitely miss him. Kidd's age is catching up to him. Though he is a great floor general, he cannot keep up with most guards defensively and he lacks the quickness for a dribble penetration offensive game.

We also miss Sheed and the Amar'e that we originally signed. Amar'e seems to have lost his explosiveness.

As for Shump, I wonder whether his shot and his handle at the rim will have improved. His mechanics always looked good but he tends too often to lose the ball at or close to the rim when he drives. Perhaps his hands are relatively small. I trust he has done a a massive amount of shooting during his recovery. I have high hopes for Shump. He is very bright and appears to work very hard. And he has an outsized personality. In that respect, he is Clyde like. He has a bright future even after his playing days end.

deamon

Benchwarmer
Kidd shouldn't play in b2b when Felton will back. Jason looks very tired right now, doesn't run offense, can't hit open 3.
Hope for more fast breaks when Shump will back.

New New York

Quiet Storm

Those who bash Felton for whatever the reason can't see what he brings us beyond what he puts out statistically.

Felton's drives puts tremendous pressure on oppossing D which opens so much for other players.

before Kidd hit that 3 to beat The Nets Felton sucked the D in on penetration then the ball was kicked to Kidd for a 3! This is what Ray brings

A PG who gets into the lane and can pass (and has a finisher like Tyson) is a nightmare now add that with the other nightmare for opposing D's in the form of Melo and it is easy to see why we got out to that fast start.

Kidd and Pablo are not PG's who breakdown they D they penetrate on Pick and Rolls and pump fakes

Felton is not a flawless PG, shot selection and passes are questionable to say the least sometimes and there are times on D that I wanna just cry because his man has made the most basics of slashes or drives and gotten to the hoop....but he still is a very valuable player for us.

He's not just quicker than Pablo and Kidd but a much better finisher around the basket...again there still leaves some to be desired since he does blow some layups (usually at the worst times) but no other PG we have gets to the hoop as good as him and even when he misses Tyson can usually tap out, rebound and go back up or dunk it back in.

Great Thread Red!

Sheed is missed

Shump for sure is missed; all I can think about it is imagine if he never got hurt got that playoff experience against The Heat and had an entire off season to get better...for-get-a-bout-it!!!!!

Felton is sorely missed!

metrocard

Legend
This is where I really feel like as fans we jinxed ourselves.

We're putting too much hope on an average PG like Felton.

He ain't Tony Parker baby.

Ray is a better fit for a team with scorers than he is for a team without them. Here, in NY, he has an easy job to do. Just dish it, he knows Amare and Chandler well when it comes to the pick and roll and he has the ability to break down the defense from time to time.
I have never expected much from him other than 10 pts and 7or8 dimes a game. He?s even playing some decent defense that should get better as the season carries on. On this current roster he is a great fit, he just needs to hold back a bit in the shooting department, let the game find you while you get everyone else involved.

New New York

Quiet Storm
This is where I really feel like as fans we jinxed ourselves.

We're putting too much hope on an average PG like Felton.

He ain't Tony Parker baby.

1. I think Ray is an above average PG

but that's where people have gotten really mixed up with the influx of superstar PG's in the past 7 years or so....your PG is not meant to be your star but rather a catalyst (like Red put it) for your team.

When you have a Superstar like Melo who puts so much pressure on other teams then you just need a steady hand at PG

Look at the past 5 NBA champions

Boston
Lakers
Lakers
Dallas
Miami

Rondo was just a sophomore and still finding his way when Boston won so it was not superior PG play that won it for them but rather a steady floor general managing the talent around him (like I said Felton is for us)

Derrick Fisher too was just a heady PG who Quarterbacked a ton of talent

Kidd was beyond Superstar years w/ Dallas averaging 8 pts 8 assist and shooting .360 from field

and we all know that Chalmers is just a role player (albeit an important one just like Raymond is for us) for his team.

Does a star PG hurt? no! Just not necessary

would I love a Toney Parker or Chris Paul....of course!

But I'd also take Patrick Ewing over Tyson at the center position! LOL

Felton isn't an elite PG but plenty good for the talent that we have.

Raymond has been the best Knick PG in the past 4 seasons and had we not had to give him up in that trade w Denver he Amare and Melo wouldve gotten us past Boston in the first round of the playoffs in 2010!

The proof of his worth is our play since he went down.

Red

TYPE-A
1. I think Ray is an above average PG

but that's where people have gotten really mixed up with the influx of superstar PG's in the past 7 years or so....your PG is not meant to be your star but rather a catalyst (like Red put it) for your team.

When you have a Superstar like Melo who puts so much pressure on other teams then you just need a steady hand at PG

Look at the past 5 NBA champions

Boston
Lakers
Lakers
Dallas
Miami

Rondo was just a sophomore and still finding his way when Boston won so it was not superior PG play that won it for them but rather a steady floor general managing the talent around him (like I said Felton is for us)

Derrick Fisher too was just a heady PG who Quarterbacked a ton of talent

Kidd was beyond Superstar years w/ Dallas averaging 8 pts 8 assist and shooting .360 from field

and we all know that Chalmers is just a role player (albeit an important one just like Raymond is for us) for his team.

Does a star PG hurt? no! Just not necessary

would I love a Toney Parker or Chris Paul....of course!

But I'd also take Patrick Ewing over Tyson at the center position! LOL

Felton isn't an elite PG but plenty good for the talent that we have.

Raymond has been the best Knick PG in the past 4 seasons and had we not had to give him up in that trade w Denver he Amare and Melo wouldve gotten us past Boston in the first round of the playoffs in 2010!

The proof of his worth is our play since he went down.

Yeah, obviously there will be doubts until if/when Felton leads us to A Championship.

I see it as "fit". Does your PG perpetuate your plan? If our plan is to "get our stars involved" as they are the major parts of our offense, then yes Raymond is better than many "shoot-first" guards. He sees the floor well, uses the alley, and can knock down his shot. He embodies the toughness we want.

On D i'd say those mentioned above are not liabilities either. That's where Felt can improve. But as a priority getting his team involved, not being a liability on D both go beofre scoring. Ray can get in the lane also b/c he's quick, but his injuries limited him.