Trade idea

Paul1355

All Star
So just putting on GM cap here. Want to know the thoughts on the forum here.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aqocujq

I was looking at the Knicks, Lakers, and Mavericks.

The Dallas Mavericks are looking to make a trade and that was backed up by owner Mark Cuban on Monday.

"We're letting everybody know that the 'Bank of Cuban' is open," Cuban told ESPNDallas.com. "If it's the right deal, we don't mind taking back money. But we're not going to do a trade just to do a trade. It's got to be worthwhile."

The Mavs want to be a player in the free agent market beginning in July and they likely have put it out to other teams that they are willing to take back more salary in trades, for players with expiring contracts, as a way to stock assets. The team is currently about $10.1 million below the luxury tax threshold.

Trade:
Knicks get: Shawn Marion and Steve Blake
Lakers get: Amare, Chris Kaman, Pablo Prigioni
Mavs get: Pau Gasol, Chris Copeland, Ronnie Brewer

My reasoning:

Mavericks are looking for a splash and everyone knows Pau Gasol is a good player that is stuck in a bad situation. He doesn't fit the team anymore and would be revitalized somewhere else. In comes Dallas, Cuban is looking for a splash in free agency but odds are they won't gamble again. They want someone that will instantly make them better and Gasol does that. Having a Gasol/Dirk front court is the best scoring front court in the NBA. Put Gasol at center and Dirk at the 4 and you have two legit options down low. Mavericks also get Brewer to replace Marion's defensive prowess and a very good underrated scoring option in Chris Copeland sporting a high per. Woodson is not playing Copeland enough and doesn't trust him consistently. Cope will do better on another team that will use him more. Plus Mavs want 1 year deals and Brewer and Cope are on 1 year deals.

Knicks want to dump Amare and the Lakers look like the most likely destination because of Steve Nash and since Buss is desperate for wins and will spend to do it. We would get back Shawn Marion and Steve Blake. Marion is a solid defensive forward that can score and rebounds which we suck at. Blake is just to let Lakers dump someone they don't want, and he makes 3's which we love shooting. Knicks would save salary but get back only one decent player. Knicks are not looking for talent, just cap space and less years.

Lakers need a stronger bench and another scoring option. Amare is the scoring option and played fantastic in the 2010 all star game with Dwight Howard in which they were lobbing alley oops to each other. Amare is also great in pick and rolls and Mike D helped Amare score 25 ppg in 2010. Knicks would also trade Pablo Prigioni because he is a great pick and roll PG and the Lakers are lacking solid PG play. Chris Kaman would be coming off the bench as a solid back up center. Lakers bench of Prigs/Meeks/Jamison/Hill/Kaman is solid.

Mavs and Lakers need a change and are desperate, the Knicks just need to dump Amare.

So i expect haters to say how dumb and useless this was but im looking for anyone that thinks these teams might do something big this season or the next. And if my reasoning makes any sense.

uber

Benchwarmer
I think we would give up too much. I wouldn't mind seeing Marion in a Knick jersey. Him and Chandler battleing the boards could give us a great boost rebounding and defensive wise.

Prig and Copeland played really well so far. The only player i wouldn't mind giving away is Brewer.

This team has been build to win now and i don't want us give up decent pieces without really upgrading. If we won't get atleast to the ECF than we can still start trading and clearing cap space next season.

just my 2 cent

zwickks

Benchwarmer

he was referring to Marion's D NOT Blake's, he only said Blake can shoot the 3, and that we'd get him simply because lakers wouldnt want him.

This team has been build to win now and i don't want us give up decent pieces without really upgrading. If we won't get atleast to the ECF than we can still start trading and clearing cap space next season.
I agree,
I think we should give STAT a chance, and reevaluate at the end of the season, or maybe i just feel sorry for Amare..

Last edited:

GetRealistic

Starter
I wouldn't mind having Marion as my combo 3/4 with Melo would take the burden off him defensively.. But for what we'd be giving up i'd pass... Also i couldn't have any less interest in Steve Blake.

deamon

Benchwarmer
Marion is one of the best perimeter defenders in this league, would love to see him here. Great rebounder and ideal player for fast breaks.
Perimeter defense, rebounds, fast breaks, we need this all.

New New York

Quiet Storm
There is literally no trade scenario that allows us to dump Amre right now or maybe ever!

The most we can hope for is he regains form and is a beast in the playoffs but even then teams will be leary

And if we do trade him no chance we get a quality player back like Marion

Just my opinion...

I'm comfortable with the team right now. I'm still waiting to see this team play with a full healthy roster before thinking of any trade scenerio. I mean, we are sitting in first place of the Atlantic with a team that has yet to play a full game with each other due to injuries. I'm not so sure if i would want to tamper with that.

We need to stop panicking. I know we haven't been used to winning in a while, but we are far from being a bad team or a team in need. As for myself... I'll be exercising a bit of patience, at least until after the all star break.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Timeout i hope you realize how atrocious a Front court of Dirk and Pau would be defensively.. i dont think the Mavs bite on this deal and i highly doubt Lakers want Amare what they need is Ryan Anderson

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
There is literally no trade scenario that allows us to dump Amre right now or maybe ever!

The most we can hope for is he regains form and is a beast in the playoffs but even then teams will be leary

And if we do trade him no chance we get a quality player back like Marion

Just my opinion...

Marion is a quality player but with the Mavs right now he is an 8 million dollar a year player that is on a team that is struggling to find offense. And the team would trade Marion for someone better in return. That was my thinking.

Anyone can be traded in the NBA. Iverson, Arenas, Rashard Lewis, etc...anyone with a bad attitude or a bad contract some team will make a gamble on.

Paul1355

All Star
I think we would give up too much. I wouldn't mind seeing Marion in a Knick jersey. Him and Chandler battleing the boards could give us a great boost rebounding and defensive wise.

Prig and Copeland played really well so far. The only player i wouldn't mind giving away is Brewer.

just my 2 cent

If you want to get rid of Amare and his terrible contract than you have to give away people you like with him. I would rather not have Knicks package a deal with Amare and Shumpert or something like that. I figured Brewer is def gone because Iman is better than him in everyway and has a longer contract. Copeland I love and want to keep but he is on a 1 year deal and similar to JR I think he will have offers from other teams that will be better than a Knicks offer of only 1 year or something cheap since Amare's contract is hurting us from signing anyone legit.

As much as I like Prigs he would fit better with a pick and roll coach like Mike D. Woodson doesnt do enough pick and rolls in my opinion. And With Kidd showing that he is no longer a legit starting PG, we need some young legs as a bakcup PG behind Felton. Someone that can dish but also penetrate to the hoop which Pablo rarely does.

I don't expect Knicks to get back anything solid for Amare. In my opinion Marion is not that valuable. He brings defense and rebounding but his scoring is sub par. He is not worth 8 million dollars so I figured Dallas can start their other young forwards and quickly develop them while having better offensive talent come in with Pau.

Paul1355

All Star
Timeout i hope you realize how atrocious a Front court of Dirk and Pau would be defensively.. i dont think the Mavs bite on this deal and i highly doubt Lakers want Amare what they need is Ryan Anderson

That is the only thing that would hinder Dallas from making this move. I agree that the front court is bad defensively. However Dallas biting on Pau doesn't sound so bad. Dallas is craving a known name to pair with Dirk. And eventhough they would prefer Dwight, who will most likely stay in LA, the next best option is to trade for a better PG or just add another solid big man.

Dallas has an overload of small forwards and Jae Crowder needs some more playing time, Marion is sort of in the way of that developing.

Pau is bad on defense at center but so is Amare, yet everyone knows Amare is best at the center position because he can exploit players on the offensive end. Pau is 7 feet and rebounds well so even though the defense isnt fantastic, Dallas would be getting two 7 footers that can spread the floor for OJ Mayo and Darren Collison to drive at will. Imagine the floor spacing with those two bigs and few teams can match the size. There are more advantages than disadvantages for Dallas if they had a Pau/Dirk pairing.

Plus it would show Dirk that Dallas is trying to make him happy.

Kiyaman

Legend
Trade:
Knicks get: Shawn Marion and Steve Blake
Lakers get: Amare, Chris Kaman, Pablo Prigioni
Mavs get: Pau Gasol, Chris Copeland, Ronnie Brewer

Shawn Marion already showed he dont like to be traded .. only a fool GM would trade for Marion. Plus Marion is not going for Dolan's golden-boy Melo bullshaaat.

Rookie Prigioni talent & decision-making are levels above Steve Blake skills.

No player can help the Lakers no-strategic celebrity coach Damnphony.

Mark Cuban two seasons of decision-making already sold-out one of the top strategic headcoaches in the NBA, Rick Carlisle.

The Knicks added 9 new players to the roster in the offseason ........

CA7

Scoring Champ
Shawn Marion already showed he dont like to be traded .. only a fool GM would trade for Marion. Plus Marion is not going for Dolan's golden-boy Melo bullshaaat.

Rookie Prigioni talent & decision-making are levels above Steve Blake skills.

No player can help the Lakers no-strategic celebrity coach Damnphony.

Mark Cuban two seasons of decision-making already sold-out one of the top strategic headcoaches in the NBA, Rick Carlisle.

The Knicks added 9 new players to the roster in the offseason ........

you felt the need to add that for what

uber

Benchwarmer
If you want to get rid of Amare and his terrible contract than you have to give away people you like with him. I would rather not have Knicks package a deal with Amare and Shumpert or something like that. I figured Brewer is def gone because Iman is better than him in everyway and has a longer contract. Copeland I love and want to keep but he is on a 1 year deal and similar to JR I think he will have offers from other teams that will be better than a Knicks offer of only 1 year or something cheap since Amare's contract is hurting us from signing anyone legit.

As much as I like Prigs he would fit better with a pick and roll coach like Mike D. Woodson doesnt do enough pick and rolls in my opinion. And With Kidd showing that he is no longer a legit starting PG, we need some young legs as a bakcup PG behind Felton. Someone that can dish but also penetrate to the hoop which Pablo rarely does.

I don't expect Knicks to get back anything solid for Amare. In my opinion Marion is not that valuable. He brings defense and rebounding but his scoring is sub par. He is not worth 8 million dollars so I figured Dallas can start their other young forwards and quickly develop them while having better offensive talent come in with Pau.

I know whats your idea behind all of this. But as for today no one would take Amare (even with Shump, but lets not talk about a Shumpert Trade because that would really hurt :D).

Our cap situation is "screwed" anyway until 2014/2015. So for me it makes no sense to get rid of players who really contribute right now (Cope, Prigioni) just to give us a bit more D and Rebounding (like Marion would). Best case scenario would be Amare + Brewer for some good role player but that's not gonna happen.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Shawn Marion is a Kidd disciple I think he fits in well with any team fighting for a ring. Only problem is we give away to much in trading Chris. I dont want to trade that guy unless it is for someone on the better side of 25 ; we need young cheap guys that can fill in at the 3 or 4.

I am a big fan of bringing in another player to fill in for Ronnie B. Early on he looked like a steal now my buddy is reminding me why he cant stay with a team.

I like Devin Ebanks , Matt Barnes, Chris Singleton , type player we can find for cheap or trade brewer for. :2cents:

Brewer will have a chance in the playoffs we will need him and Shumpert to guard Lebron and Wade

Last edited:
ok, Novak is really starting to upset me. It's already a bad look to see an NBA player who's only job is to hit the long ball. But, when that shot isn't falling he just looks like he's not even suppose to be in the league. I mean, if you're in the NBA for this long you should have been working on developing and expanding your game.... just in case your "go to move" is no longer an option. He relies on that shot so much that he looks completely lost out there when it's not falling. Just a waste...