Woodson calls out Cope for lack of effort

smokes

Huge Member
Chris Copeland?s reaction to Mike Woodson saying he isn?t practicing hard enough or committing to defense was

professional and mature. Copeland is 28 and a veteran of playing overseas.

?I?m a rookie,? Copeland said. ?I have a lot to learn and he's always on me about getting better. That's important. It?s still my first year. I still have a lot to learn, for sure.?

Copeland said he believes some of what Woodson said about why he didn?t play in Boston was to motivate him.

?I think so,? Copeland said. ?He's a great coach. He's been around the game forever, he knows what he's talking about. He's trying to push me in different ways but at the end of the day we have a really deep team and we have a lot of guys that can play.?

Hope that Cope will use this as motivation and improve his level of defense. The dude has offense coming out of his ears if he can start to lock down other SF's he's gonna be one of the top rookies this year.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Hope that Cope will use this as motivation and improve his level of defense. The dude has offense coming out of his ears if he can start to lock down other SF's he's gonna be one of the top rookies this year.

Handled that better than any rookie (or pro for that matter) I have ever seen

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I sure hope Woody addresses the very obvious problem that have recently appeared. I admit that it worked early in the season, but the ISO plays for Melo and JR needs to be decreased. With all of the offensive weapons we have on this team, there's no sense in concentrating on isolation plays that ultimately result in contested jump shots.

Its on Woody to make the necessary adjustments on offense.

-Lack of ball movement
-Too much three point attempts (Seriously, we should only start shooting the threes once we've established good paint presence. Play inside-out, you know?)
-Too much iso plays for JR and Melo

bigapple

Starter
this game was looking like lakers vs raptors even Stat was better than MELO.

With this level of playing Knicks will loose to Wizards and Raptors and Fields will score 30.

KO main site has error Knicks playing vs Magic and Hawks not @Magic and hawks

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
Good to see Cope is being mature about it. I'm sure there are many players around the league who would throw their toys out of their pram. I like that Woody is hard on his players and calls them out on things, IIRC he was the same with Shump last season and he kept getting better as a result and if Cope maintains that attitude, listens to the coaching staff and vets on the team and works on his weaknesses he will improve as well. However he needs to treat all the players on this team the same, from the 12th man earning under $1million to Melo and STAT on $20million.

Kiyaman

Legend

Copeland wouldve had a dynamic rookie season as our backup SF receiving great tutledge from Camby/Kurt/Sheed/and Stat as teammates. Both rookies Copeland & Prig gellin in the pick n roll during the preseason games shouldve expanded with the help of veteran teammates as a co-exist tandem to bring off the bench to add defensive-pressure to opponents PG, plus score on pick n rolls within the 40 regular season games, but it didnt because of coach Woodson favoritism toward letting "CHUCKERS" Melo or JR lead the offense for 48 minutes per game, chucking-up 60% of the shots holding the team to 39% fg shooting, plus never being reprimanded by coach Woodson for their poor-poor effort on the defensive-end letting oponents score at will in the paint, which cause n effect lead to Camby & Sheed see the direction of this Knicks team, and the no-change in Denver's ISO-Melo.

Copeland need to make coach Woodson review the tapes of the last 18 games (8-10) where we could never make a run in any of those games from effortless performance from Melo & JR on offense/defense repeating the same old peremeter plays on offensive-possession they did as Denver Nuggets...

metrocard

Legend
Woodson is a clown right now, he's afraid to make adjustments and doesn't adapt to our problems. I guarantee you guys if we fail, it will be on Woodson because he hasn't change a god damn thing ever since we started the season. NBA teams aren't stupid and will figure a team out within time. We got figured out within 20 games and our shooting percentage has decreased over it. I understand the offense won't be fluid without a penetrating PG like Felton, but Woodson has been to quiet and hasn't expressed any contempt with JR Smith's shot selection (shooting 33% the last 10 games, 35% for the month) and Carmelo settling for jumpers this month(shooting 40% for the month).

Screw that, it's Woodson's responsibility as a coach to address his superstars and find solutions to their problems.

Melo isn't a PF and we can't play him at PF all season long. A trade is needed to balance this line up, or a line up change is needed. We've been losing too many winnable games and it's going to get to the point that we'll keep faking this "Don't Panic" mode and realize we need to panic because this is really our best year and best chance to win a title, if we don't do it this year; Chandler gets older, Melo has to start over again, Amare gets older, Kidd retires, Felton gets older, Thomas, Wallace, Camby retires, Smith gets older...the only guy who's really in the stage where he hasn't touch his prime is Shumpert. We're an old ass team and we need to hit the championship with a one punch KO in the 12th round, it's our only shot.

I don't have faith in Mike Woodson. Not a bad coach, but he ain't no Phil Jackson baby.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I think that it absolutely stinks that Woodson has called Cope out on his lack of effort. Calling out a rookie who has, in his very limited minutes, played very well is terrible when he continues to allow our entire offense to stagnate because he allows stupid, ****ty iso ball every game. He gets on Copelands back about lack of effort but continues to leave JR Smith in games when he is busy shooting us to losses.

I was really looking forward to Woodson as our coach this season but now I`m beginning to lose faith in him. He doesn`t seem to be able to understand that ball movement is key and not just having one guy on court wlking the ball up and going iso into a crowd whilst the other four players on the court stand around watching.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I question Woodson, why doesn't he bark at Melo and Smith? They hold more responsibility than Copeland.

today the post had an interview with Shump and he recalls Woody's fist day on the job when The Knicks had played Portland and Melo had 18 at the half and the whole team was in the locker room clowning and he stormed in and told Melo he did not care how many points you have you won't play for me if you don't rebound the damn ball!

Melo finished with 8 rebs all in 2nd half.

Woody is cut from the same cloth as Van Gundy (either one) he'll get in the face of anyone. unlike Dantoni and unlike Stan Van Gundy he does it in away that doesn't turn his players away from him.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Woodson is a clown right now, he's afraid to make adjustments and doesn't adapt to our problems. I guarantee you guys if we fail, it will be on Woodson because he hasn't change a god damn thing ever since we started the season. NBA teams aren't stupid and will figure a team out within time. We got figured out within 20 games and our shooting percentage has decreased over it. I understand the offense won't be fluid without a penetrating PG like Felton, but Woodson has been to quiet and hasn't expressed any contempt with JR Smith's shot selection (shooting 33% the last 10 games, 35% for the month) and Carmelo settling for jumpers this month(shooting 40% for the month).

Screw that, it's Woodson's responsibility as a coach to address his superstars and find solutions to their problems.

Melo isn't a PF and we can't play him at PF all season long. A trade is needed to balance this line up, or a line up change is needed. We've been losing too many winnable games and it's going to get to the point that we'll keep faking this "Don't Panic" mode and realize we need to panic because this is really our best year and best chance to win a title, if we don't do it this year; Chandler gets older, Melo has to start over again, Amare gets older, Kidd retires, Felton gets older, Thomas, Wallace, Camby retires, Smith gets older...the only guy who's really in the stage where he hasn't touch his prime is Shumpert. We're an old ass team and we need to hit the championship with a one punch KO in the 12th round, it's our only shot.

I don't have faith in Mike Woodson. Not a bad coach, but he ain't no Phil Jackson baby.

Forgive me for not multi-quoting

First off trades and a new coach will only push us further back not make us better. Plus there is no trades out there to be made without trading Shump and/or Chandler other than that there is nothing we can really do.

Championships are not won in January.... these losses suck but they are not gonna make or break our season firing a coach or another trade deadline move will. look right now with or without Rondo I do not want to play a first round series against Boston or Philly (the likely 8th seeds) so I'm cool with 2nd and a Mil or offensively challenged Pacers.

Kiyaman

Legend
Forgive me for not multi-quoting

First off trades and a new coach will only push us further back not make us better. Plus there is no trades out there to be made without trading Shump and/or Chandler other than that there is nothing we can really do.

Championships are not won in January.... these losses suck but they are not gonna make or break our season firing a coach or another trade deadline move will. look right now with or without Rondo I do not want to play a first round series against Boston or Philly (the likely 8th seeds) so I'm cool with 2nd and a Mil or offensively challenged Pacers.

I dont think anyone wants to fire Woodson, it's just Woodson is scared of Dolan's Goldenboy Melo.
Woodson has been letting Melo & JR control & call all the shots on offense for 48 minutes per game .. when we true-blue Knicks-Fans been expecting "Felton, Kidd, Melo, and Stat" to be co-existing and controlling the flow on offense, plus rewarding defensive-players with easy baskets.
We have to many players in the rotation that scores well in transition or halfcourt to where we do not need "ISO-Melo" to keep slowing down the game to score his selfish 30 points per game on 38% shooting.

If there was no-Melo, how long do u think we Knicks would put up with Melo's ex-teammate JR.smith 34 minutes of bad-decision-making? We dont see any transition-baskets, fastbreak basket, consistent inside scoring, or team-defensive-stops when both Melo & JR are in the lineup.

JR and Melo have been the 2 healthiest scorers on the team. Now that the team is starting to fill out i suspect the offense will be shared a bit more. I have no problem with JR and Melo shooting most of the shots. I just don't want them shooting over 20 a piece, that many shots for just 2 players is going to take other players out of the game. Imo, you better win if you take that many shots. If it was me...i'll be more embarrassed than upset if I scored 30, 40 points and still lost the game.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I dont think anyone wants to fire Woodson, it's just Woodson is scared of Dolan's Goldenboy Melo.
Woodson has been letting Melo & JR control & call all the shots on offense for 48 minutes per game .. when we true-blue Knicks-Fans been expecting "Felton, Kidd, Melo, and Stat" to be co-existing and controlling the flow on offense, plus rewarding defensive-players with easy baskets.
We have to many players in the rotation that scores well in transition or halfcourt to where we do not need "ISO-Melo" to keep slowing down the game to score his selfish 30 points per game on 38% shooting.

If there was no-Melo, how long do u think we Knicks would put up with Melo's ex-teammate JR.smith 34 minutes of bad-decision-making? We dont see any transition-baskets, fastbreak basket, consistent inside scoring, or team-defensive-stops when both Melo & JR are in the lineup.

look at the end of the Celtics game I was frustrated with the isolation as well as other times....but sometimes that is our best option!

Melo's ISO's have only picked up since Felton was out...The Atl game Melo was catch and shoot all game (how he started the season)

When you do not have PG's who can drive and cause defensive breakdowns the alternative is one on one...and we do possess one of the best 1 on 1 players in the Game!

People thought the samething about Ewing! They felt his game stopped the flow of the game

another point of consideration...Melo has become a more willing passer..so if/when a double comes he kicks it to the open man..the isolations do result in getting open shots

During The Nets game he drove and dumped it off to Amare for a dunk twice and found JR and Shump on kick outs

Do we need to be more than an ISO team...of course..Melo going ISO will only go but so far

And I think Woody knows that! He has praised his PG's almost as much as Melo over the course of the season he knows it takes ball movement and team work...but the last month has been like the end of last season with Amare hurt no starting PG and Melo and JR being our best 2 scores...the only option is to set up plays from The ISO!

^^When you?re used to cheering on a team that has been sucking for over a decade the anxiety attacks will appear more frequently, The panic seems to come and go so don't take it too seriously. Perhaps one of the new features for this site should be some paper bags. Might help with the hyperventilation and nausea...