With Shump and Martin Playing D, The Formula is back

Red

TYPE-A
The Knicks finished with 17 fast-break points -- their second-highest in a game this season -- which was fueled by their season-high 14 steals. Iman Shumpert, arguably the team's best perimeter defender, led the way with four of them.

[+] Enlarge
Anthony Gruppuso/USA TODAY SportsIman Shumpert had four of the Knicks' 14 steals on Saturday.

"We're just trying to be as aggressive as possible," he said afterward, "and when we get stops on the defensive end and get out in the open court, that's where we're best"
(espn.com)

The formula:

Melo + 2 Defenders (minimum) = Wins

Two months ago it was Melo + TC, Brewer, Sheed and even Kidd in a diminished role played good perimeter D.

We lost 50 % of that due to various circumstances and added the little defense we got from Kidd and Felton went south (Kidd too many minutes, Felton's hands);

hence the slippage.

Now it's Melo + Martin, Shump etc... and we're close to the formula. We are still riding the edge considering TC and Sheed's health.

I'm not going to say what we're capable of, but I will say it still appears we're going to live and die by the three. Aggression never hurts either. It is what it is. :smokin:

deamon

Benchwarmer
Martin has to stay in starting five when Chandler back. So who do we move to bench, Felton or Prigioni?

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Martin has to stay in starting five when Chandler back. So who do we move to bench, Felton or Prigioni?

I would be good with

Chandler
Martin
Melo
Shump
Felton

Then rotate JR, Prigioni, Camby, Kidd, etc

Melo would have to carry the O in a lineup like that, but if the bigs and Shump can hold down the defensive end, it could be effective. If the D doesn't compensate for lack of O then we could start JR over Shump, and have Shump come off the bench.

Sent from my LG-P999

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I`d like to see Prigioni start over Felton but I know that won`t happen. Tyson at the centre position and Kenyon at power forward gives us a great defense/rebounding combination. Melo goes to the three and Shump to the two. Sorted.

FrazierVocab

Benchwarmer
I would be good with

Chandler
Martin
Melo
Shump
Felton

Then rotate JR, Prigioni, Camby, Kidd, etc

Melo would have to carry the O in a lineup like that, but if the bigs and Shump can hold down the defensive end, it could be effective. If the D doesn't compensate for lack of O then we could start JR over Shump, and have Shump come off the bench.

Sent from my LG-P999

Couldn't agree any more with that starting five. Plus on occasion when Shump is getting to the basket and not trying hit jump shots all day he is pretty efficient on the offensive end.

tiger0330

Legend
I doubt KMart starts. I think Woody sticks with Melo at the 4, we're thin in the front court so Melo stays at the 4. There will be plenty of minutes for KMart as the 2nd unit 4 or 5 and 1st team 4 when they move Melo to SF when Shump hits his 20 min limit.

deamon

Benchwarmer
Melo at 4 won't work in PO. Month till end of regular season, move Melo to 3 and prepare chemistry between S5 players.
If Woodson won't do that, I will blame him for ending our PO adventure too early.

bigapple

Starter
Woody just said that K-mart will b benched i dont get look @ Lakers MWP D12 Gasol all them was in S5 and was no problem so why Tyson Melo K-mart cant start? its all big 3 now.With Shump and Felton/Pablo

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
The reason we won last 4 games is because of KMart. If he continues to play like that, there is no way i take him out of starting lineup.
On the other hand, with Melo.Tyson and KMart as a front court, we will be killed in transision by smaller faster teams.
I still would go with this front court and Shamp with Felton as a backcourt.
It may work in the playoffs when the pace slows down. The key for this lineup would be to slow down, limit turnovers and stop shooting so many threes.

metrocard

Legend
Melo needs to play the 3.

I don't care if Camby plays horrible, he has to start at center and let Martin dominate at PF.

Shumpert is best at the 2, Felton has to be benched and Prigioni has to be unleashed.

Felton/Kidd/Smith/Novak/Copeland would be a lot of offense coming off the bench.

but our primary focus should be defense.

bigapple

Starter
no KG for tuesdays Celtics + they are on 4 games loosing streak but they still have Bass Green and Bradley

New New York

Quiet Storm
I am completely in agreement with all of you who feel Melo needs to move back to the 3 and Shump back to the 2.

Melo at the 4 is a gimmicky way of playing, I like it in spurts but hate it as a long term approach. Now, being that Stat was out and even when he came back we did not want to disrupt the rhythm of the team by inserting him at the starting 4 I was cool with Melo staying at the 4. But Kenyon has emerged as a credible PF....now it would be foolish for us to expect his last two games performances nightly but he proved he is still worthy of a starting PF!

I too like Pablo, but his inability to create his own shot creates a huge liability for us, especially if we go with a more traditional starting 5 with Tyson and Martin

Kidd is probably the middle ground between Felton and Pablo so if we were to move Felton to the bench then Kidd would seem the wiser choice

Yet, I think Felton still needs to remain our Starting PG...His chemistry with Tyson is great and he and Kmart work together well. Look love him or not we do not win all of these past four games without him! He was Huge in Utah and even bigger in Toronto.

We are gonna need Felton to penetrate if we go with this lineup to draw people off Shump to get him open and to get lobs to Tyson and Martin.

Mr. New New Yorks rotation (not too different from what you guys are proposing)

Felton/Kidd/Pablo
Shump/Jr/ Pablo
Melo/Novak/Cope
Martin/Stat/Sheed?
Chandler/Camby/Martin/Sheed?

That's a playoff built team...now we gotta get to the 2nd round before we get Stat back the way need him

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
no KG for tuesdays Celtics + they are on 4 games loosing streak but they still have Bass Green and Bradley

Hey I just wanna update the rest on knicksonline.com about Boston's media and fans mind set going into the playoffs from here on out.....

All I hear is the Celtics shouldn't try too hard the rest of regular season, rest KG and also Pierce some.....stay at the 7th seed to match up with NY since they are confident they'll beat the Knicks in a series.....and should/will go all the way back to the Eastern Conference Finals for a rematch with Miami. They aren't concerned with really any team other than Miami, but feel the Knicks are by far the best match up for Boston round one.

Hearing this constantly is pissing me the ****k off and makes me want Boston round 1 just to shut them up plus get revenge for that playoff series a couple years ago. That game 1 where KG blatantly tripped TD to free up Allen for the winning 3 and the refs didn't do **** about it!

Ill be at the game tomorrow night, can't wait to see Melo tear through those bastids

Sent from my LG-P999

Last edited:

bigapple

Starter
currently Boston is only matching team that can fight with Heat but thing is there are 2 heats one is Miami 2nd is refs.

Boston is stronger on Boards Green Bradley Bass Pierce and KG all of them can wipe your ass on board

but since Knicks S5 has been changed this team is totaly diffrent MELO K-mart are co exists Pablo is freaking me out with his D and Steals Felton still sux thats why this team need faster PG.

anyway it too soon to talk about 1st round vs C's or Hawks or Bulls Knicks job is to win division

Memphis no Gasol Rudy in Toronto time 4 rematch for lastest ref craps like Sheed said Ball dont lie

Kiyaman

Legend
currently Boston is only matching team that can fight with Heat but thing is there are 2 heats one is Miami 2nd is refs.

Boston is stronger on Boards Green Bradley Bass Pierce and KG all of them can wipe your ass on board

but since Knicks S5 has been changed this team is totaly diffrent MELO K-mart are co exists Pablo is freaking me out with his D and Steals Felton still sux thats why this team need faster PG.

anyway it too soon to talk about 1st round vs C's or Hawks or Bulls Knicks job is to win division

Memphis no Gasol Rudy in Toronto time 4 rematch for lastest ref craps like Sheed said Ball dont lie

No! the Knicks roster is the best in the East to beat Miami Heat in 6 games ..
for some unknown reason 15 winning players became excuse-players ....
Tyson / Camby / Amare / Sheed / K-Mart / Kurt
Melo / Novak / Copeland
JR / Shump / White
Kidd / Felton / Prigioni

1) the Melo & Stat tandem refuse to mix well
2) the Felton & JR tandem aint happy
3) the frontcourt trio of Sheed, Camby, and Amare stayed off the court for 3 quarter of the season for a reason stronger than the medical-staff excuses.
4) the Melo & JR tandem shooting 54 % of our shot attempts have the team-shootin 43% ,, 20 teams with better fg %
5) the Shump & K-Mart pressure-defense leads to fast transition-scoring
6) Who is the best leader & captain on the team? HOF Jason Kidd
7) what tandem above would Kidd prefer to lead?

bigapple

Starter
MELo and Stat 15-15 Stat is only pick and roll such stragtey never won title
felton and Jr diffrent style and alley opps available only Felton is too slow almost no driving
Sheed Camby Stat wasnt even once together @ floor

MELo and JR is is Woodson style

Shump and K-Kamart this is D

Melo and K-Mart co exist i am also surprized that this is working such outstadning

Kidd prove that we need him with last almost 4 pts play but he cant do other things of his age

Kiyaman

Legend
To many conspired incident happen on this Knicks team by way of the coaching ....

Who is coaching this Knicks team?
A) Woodson
B) Melo
C) Woodson & Melo

Kiyaman

Legend
Am I wrong or am I right ....

Defensive lineup .. Camby, K-Mart, Shump, Prig, and ???

Players .. Camby, Stat, K-Mart, Shump, and Felton shouldve been in a lineup in the months of January / February

Players .. Novak & JR shouldve been put in the starting-lineup in January / February when injured players Camby, Stat, Shump, and Felton return to the rotation to make a 2nd-unit lineup.
Plus with the addition of Kenyon Martin on a 10 day contract.

Why is Woody working harder than JR.smith at getting the 6th-man award this season???