Keeping JR Smith

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks will probably need to address keeping JR Smith at the end of the season and may well lose him to free agency. He signed a two year 5.6M deal before the 2013 season with a player option for his second year. The Knicks have his early bird rights and will be able to offer him 104% of last years avg. NBA salary of 5.04M or a 5.25M 1st year salary/23M 4 year deal. JR is 21st in the league in scoring right now and if you look at the guys clustered around him in the leading scorers there are a lot of guys that are max contract players or demanding max contracts like Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings.

He was underpaid last year and we're underpaying him this year. I think he's a 8-10M player maybe more with his durability and new found maturity and aggressive penetrating. I hope we can keep him but don't count on he'll re-sign with the Knicks because Woody is a "father figure" as a reason he resigns with the Knicks.

Last edited:

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
I was worried he would leave after last season, knowing he could get more than his $2.5mil player option with the Knicks.

Hopefully he wants to stay with the Knicks and will accept what we can offer. He's only 27 and is a hell of a 6th man for this team. Can't wait to see him kick the crap outta that lepricon squad tonight for the 2nd time this week!

Sent from my LG-P999

tiger0330

Legend
I was worried he would leave after last season, knowing he could get more than his $2.5mil player option with the Knicks.

Hopefully he wants to stay with the Knicks and will accept what we can offer. He's only 27 and is a hell of a 6th man for this team. Can't wait to see him kick the crap outta that lepricon squad tonight for the 2nd time this week!

Sent from my LG-P999
Awesome to see a true Knicks fan in MA. Lawrence, thats on the Mass border with NH isn't it? You a Rangers and Yankee fan also?

Iggy in Denver said he's going to opt out in his final year and I hope JR doesn't say the same when he's asked but I expect it.

Munchen13

Benchwarmer
JR deserves a good contract and the Knicks should provide that to him. As of next season, he will be the reigning 6th man of the year and he has be a starter by then!

Kiyaman

Legend
A hate to dissapoint the poster of this thread, but Grunwald shouldve never gave JR a player option after the first season. JR.smith is a high risk player with a very low trade-value b/c of his poor player to player relationship.
Im sure if u ask any Knicks player who coach Woodson spent the majority of his time with in the practice center this season all would point to JR.smith.
JR took super-star fga (19) throughout this season, plus playing every game this season averaging 34 minutes per game.

The above sounds good right? Good enough to give JR a longer and mo$money contract right? WRONG!
JR had months of shooting 38% and 39% with various of oponent JR were defending shooting above 50%.
JR best talent/skills are at the SG spot, yet JR did not start any game (72) this season, which gave JR the opportunity to be a CHUCKER when bench players were in his lineup.
Half or more of our Knicks losses this season were do to this type of rotation of JR being the 6th Man.
Coach Woodson practically started every member on the team at the SG spot throughout our 72 games, this couldve been ended early in the season by starting JR at the SG spot.
JR.smith is not Harden or Terry coming off the bench when their teams always had an efficient starter at their spot that they also use as a finisher with Harden or Terry.
PEACE :gony:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think it's all about his playoff performance. If he continues playing this way in the playoffs and it translates itno wins we need to lock him down for a few years at no more than 4-6 mil a year.

skisloper

Starter

Sent from my LG-P999

Please feel free to show me any link that shows JR turned down a better offer then what the Knicks were offering....I never read one article or heard one report that stated another NBA team offered JR a better contract then the knicks....

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
i dont see jr getting the same shot selections and shot attempts on another team

theres a reason no one wanted to sign him last year, and its still the same

Kiyaman

Legend
JR.smith performance is only worth $2.5M per .. next season.

The way I see it .... JR.smith is a Knicks on the stregnth of Melo.
JR.smith is allowed to take more shot attempts per game than Lebron James, are on the stregnth of Melo.
Would we really want to keep JR.smith .. if we limited JR to the same amount of shot attempts as we been limiting Amare or Shump per game?
Do u think Shump would be a better 6th man than JR nextseason?

tiger0330

Legend

JR.smith is allowed to take more shot attempts per game than Lebron James, are on the stregnth of Melo.
Would we really want to keep JR.smith .. if we limited JR to the same amount of shot attempts as we been limiting Amare or Shump per game?
Leave it to Kiyaman to give JR a pay cut from 2.8M to 2.5. lol

bigapple

Starter
JR will be FA after season?

this team need JR if they wana keep rollin in east

right now east is really shorthanded

Knicks
Celtics
Hawks
Bulls
Pacers

and also Orlando all these teams are playing season with injuries while Heat really are full roster available.That really means alot

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN's Jared Zwerling wrote this article on JR today. Reflects what some in this thread have said, some will depend on his playoff performance and his great season does not completely make up for his dubious reputation before this season.

[h=1]What is the potential value of J.R. Smith?[/h] April, 6, 2013

A 23.9 points average over his team's 11-game winning streak, including four outings of at least 30 points. And more than one steal per game during that span, as well as two double-digit rebounding nights.

Not only is Knicks sixth man J.R. Smith having a career year, but he's also heating up at the right time of the season.

[h=4]J.R. Smith[/h] [h=5]#8 SG
New York Knicks[/h]2013 STATS

• GM75
  • PPG17.8
  • RPG5.2
  • APG2.7
  • FG%.416
  • FT%.774

Now, there's some talk brewing of what Smith could command in the offseason as an unrestricted free agent.

First off, it's important to note his salary situation. Because Smith has Early Bird Rights, the Knicks can pay him up to 175 percent of this season's salary, which is $2.8 million. That means the Knicks could offer him a contract for next season at about $5 million, and the agreement could be up to four years with standard raises.

However, another team with significant cap space can offer Smith a higher amount than $5.5 million, and the Knicks would be powerless to stop him from leaving. And since he's not restricted, meaning the Knicks have no control over his free agency, they won't be able to match any offer sheets to retain him.

The Knicks could have extended his contract at this point in the season, and gone over the cap, only if it was the third anniversary of his signing. What matters is that he signed last summer, and there's no way the Knicks can extend him this year.

With that being said, how much could Smith fetch?

The consensus from two agents, one NBA executive and a veteran scout is that there's still uncertainty over what he could earn because of his overall persona. Both agents called him "a wild card" for his past inconsistent play and party lifestyle. But his playoff performance could change that perspective.

"Other teams will be skittish because he is still a wild card," one agent said. "With the new CBA, I think he will be good for $5 million at the minimum. Maybe more if the Knicks advance."

"[A higher-priced contract] could possibly happen, but some teams may be afraid of him," the scout said. "Not a great history and you have to wonder what happens if he gets a lot of money."

It's worth noting that when Smith first chose the Knicks over the Clippers last February after coming back from China, it was a financial difference between $2.4 million and $1.4 million.

"Smith probably wants to start," the executive said, "but money trumps starting."

That money could come from the Suns or Hawks, two teams that will have dollars to spend this summer and could use an elite starting shooting guard to help them get over the hump.

In favor of the Knicks keeping Smith is his close relationship with Carmelo Anthony and Mike Woodson, who has helped push the 27-year-old into a Sixth Man Award favorite. In addition, Smith loves New York City beyond the court, from being close to home to the nightlife, and he's also seen a recent spike in his sponsorship deals (for example, SK Energy).

While the Knicks are currently the free-agent leaders for Smith's services, a deep playoff run could make things interesting.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Awesome to see a true Knicks fan in MA. Lawrence, thats on the Mass border with NH isn't it? You a Rangers and Yankee fan also?

Iggy in Denver said he's going to opt out in his final year and I hope JR doesn't say the same when he's asked but I expect it.

Yeah about 15 minutes from Salem, NH.....huge Jets and Knicks fan....my father's family is from the Bronx which is why they're my teams.

Sent from my LG-P999

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah about 15 minutes from Salem, NH.....huge Jets and Knicks fan....my father's family is from the Bronx which is why they're my teams.

Sent from my LG-P999
Cool, I was born and raised in the Bronx but live in Westchester now. Surprised you aren't a Giants fan, your dad must have rooted for them back when they played in Yankee Stadium. A lot of Jets fans I know are from LI and Queens from when they played at Shea.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE

JR.smith is allowed to take more shot attempts per game than Lebron James, are on the strength of Melo.

Cmon man, JR has been beast this year. He'll surely get more than 2.5 mil next season, be it with our Knicks or not. To put it in perspective, JR is averaging 17.8 ppg, 2.7 apg, and 5.2 rpg @ a salary of $2.8 mil as the 6th man.

Joe Johnson, meanwhile, is averaging 16.3 ppg, 3.6 apg, and 3.0 rpg @ more than $19 mil this season as the Nyets' go-to-guy. Now I know some players can get WAYYYYY overpaid, but you have to agree that JR deserves more than 2.5 mil after the growth as a player he has shown this season.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Cool, I was born and raised in the Bronx but live in Westchester now. Surprised you aren't a Giants fan, your dad must have rooted for them back when they played in Yankee Stadium. A lot of Jets fans I know are from LI and Queens from when they played at Shea.

Cool!

Yeah my father's the only one in his family that is a Jets/Mets fan....he was at the AFL Championship vs Oakland in 68, he became a big Namath fan and grew up with Jets huge upset over Colts in SB III and the Miracle Mets so that's how he became a fan of those teams despite growing up in the Bronx.

Its cool though ..... I bleed Green and White/Orange and Blue (Knicks) wouldn't change it for the world despite all the success the Giants have had. I wont lie, its been rough the past decade with Patriots run they've had, but half their fans didn't exist prior to 2001 so I say Fck them and will go toe to toe with any of those arrogant, sun shine bandwagon fans LOL I started following the Jets in the Esiason/Pete Carroll years and Kotite years......no way I am changing teams if I were even capable of it now!

I honestly didn't have anything against the Celtics though until a couple years ago since they sucked in the 90s when Knicks had a strong squad and were legit contenders......then when we went through the post Ewing era and Isaiah years they emerged with Pierce, Walker, Anderson then Pierce, KG, Allen ....... wasnt until the playoff series two years ago when KG tripped TD to free Allen for GW 3 in game 1 when I started hating them. I only truly hated Miami and Indiana up until that point (hated Chicago too but atleast respected them).

Sent from my LG-P999

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Please feel free to show me any link that shows JR turned down a better offer then what the Knicks were offering....I never read one article or heard one report that stated another NBA team offered JR a better contract then the knicks....

Yeah I should of clarified.....I don't know for sure if he took less to stay in NY when he accepted his player option for this season.....but common sense would say he did when you look at what Toronto signed Landry Fields for......

here is an article (bleacher report....but still something LOL) I found quick with a google search talking about the bargain Knicks were able to retain JR for by him accepting his $2.5mil player option - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ul-if-jr-smith-picks-up-player-option-in-2013