Options for next year

finestrg

Rotation player
I know they'd never do it like this but humor me for a minute.

Guaranteed contracts for next yr (8):

Amar'e
Melo
Chandler
Novak
Felton

Shumpert
Kidd
Camby

Needs:
• 2 PGs (preferably quick/athletic, capable of penetration & transition play)
• A bigger scoring 2 assuming JR Smith bolts
• More skilled size/depth up front
• More overall youth & athleticism
• Try to convince both Kidd & Camby to retire (buyouts coupled with offering front office positions maybe?)*

--------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1:

Maximize the draft. Think about trading down and grabbing 2 capable players for our 1st rounder.

• Trade our 2013 #1 (25 range) & cash to Cleveland for picks 32 & 33 and select:
- PG Pierre Jackson 5'10" 180 (Baylor)
- PF Cory Jefferson 6'9" 230 (Baylor) or Adreian Payne 6'10" 230 (Michigan State)

• Our 1st rounder (and cash if necessary) to Philly for picks 36 & 41

• Our #1 (and cash if necessary) to Portland for SG Will Barton and picks 39 & 46

• Our #1 to Phoenix for picks 34 & 52

** if we can't outright trade the pick, make the selection for whichever team at 25 and have them do the same. Same thing.

Step 2:

Resign JR Smith (seems unlikely now all of a sudden) and Chris Copeland.

Step 3:

Consider signing any of the following to league minimum deals:

Bigs:
Marcus Cousin 6'11.5" 255 (currently playing in Japan)
Jordan Williams 6'10" 260
JaJuan Johnson 6'10" 225
Brandon Davies 6'9" 235 (BYU) - summer league/training camp invite

Wings:
Jermaine Taylor 6'5" 210 (currently ripping up the D-League)
Jamelle Horne 6'7" 220 (former Arizona Wildcat, currently playing in Puerto Rico)
Scotty Hopson 6'7" 220 (former Tennessee Vol, currently playing in Israel)
Chris Douglas-Roberts 6'7" 210
Gary Flowers 6'8" 215
Austin Freeman 6'4" 230
Derrick Byars 6'7" 220
Sylven Landesberg 6'6" 210

PG:
Michael Loyd Jr. 6'1" 190 (former BYU Cougar/Midwestern State Mustang) - summer league/training camp invite
Curtis Jerrells 6'1" 195 (former Baylor Bear, Europe)

A roster I'd LOVE to see next year:

5 - Chandler
4 - Amar'e
3 - Melo
2 - Shumpert
1 - Felton
-----------------
Marcus Cousin
Cory Jefferson (or Adreian Payne)
Novak
Jermaine Taylor
Pierre Jackson
-----------------
Jordan Williams
Brandon Davies
Chris Copeland (or Jamelle Horne if Cope gets another deal we decide not to/can't match)
Scotty Hopson
Michael Loyd Jr.
-----------------
*Kidd
*Camby

Again, I know for a fact that they'd never come up with a blueprint exactly like this but I just wanted to point out that there are PLENTY of good viable options out there to get younger and more athletic while also increasing the team's overall skill level despite being over the cap. I was convinced before but never moreso than now since K-Mart came up with knee soreness that NBA basketball is a young man's game. I want a younger/more athletic/more talented roster next year to help us compete better with teams like Chicago, Indiana, Memphis, Oklahoma City, etc. To me the above roster has everything we'll need -- fulfills my younger/quicker/more athletic mandate; 2 PGs behind Felton that can continue to penetrate and play uptempo when Felton sits; 2 talented scoring wings in Jermaine Taylor and Scotty Hopson that can help replace JR Smith if he signs elsewhere; and plenty of youthful size, length and skill up front with Marcus Cousin, Cory Jefferson (or Adreian Payne), Jordan Williams and Brandon Davies to help us sustain a grueling 82-game schedule AND compete against the younger/bigger frontcourts of the NBA.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
JaJuan Johnson is another big man we can add to the list. I forgot about this kid. Former Purdue Boilermaker/former Boston Celtic. Why the Celtic's (and the Houston Rockets too I believe) waived him, I couldn't tell ya. The sheer size and talent is there -- a long 6'10" 230 or so with a very nice inside/outside offensive game. He could be a capable rebounder/shot-blocker too if given the mins. He was the #1 pick in the last D-League draft but has since underperformed down there. One reason could be that he was traded a couple of times; another could be that he's only gotten sporadic/inconsistent mins. wherever he's been. Should've been playing 30+ mins a night...No matter -- I'm convinced he's got the ability to be a very capable NBA big man. Add his name to the mix of players we should consider inviting to SL/training camp and possibly offer a league minimum deal and roster spot to.

Last edited:

bigapple

Starter
check some1 in Clipps just read that NO chemistery there Jordan is against his deicision with Del Negro [not many mins]and he is sick and tired of Him other have problems with CP3 that "his almighty" level of playing and decision making
if this is true

i dont know how many Knicks fans want CP3 in Knicks uniform but that will not only NOT happend + i dont want him in NY too persoanlly

Wargames

Starter
If I remember right Camby's contract is only like 1 million dollars guaranteed team option per year. However, the way it is set up it can be traded for a contract equaling the full amount. So in theory that is a big trade piece that can be used to pick up somebody decent who a team is trying to shed for salary and Camby has enough in the tank for a team to risk it as well.

tiger0330

Legend
If I remember right Camby's contract is only like 1 million dollars guaranteed team option per year. However, the way it is set up it can be traded for a contract equaling the full amount. So in theory that is a big trade piece that can be used to pick up somebody decent who a team is trying to shed for salary and Camby has enough in the tank for a team to risk it as well.
I would love to get something back for him. Disappointing signing, I just hope his absence of playing time is because Woody is saving him for the playoffs but I doubt it. He would be seeing some floor time to get him ready for the playoffs if Woody was saving him for the playoffs so I think his injury is real.

Wargames

Starter
[video=youtube;km632hL-XCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=km632hL-XCo[/video]

If this kid is on the board the knicks need to take him. He might not come over right now (though draft express says he has good NBA opt outs) but by the time the 2015 season kicks around he would be a great piece to add to that re-tooled team. Its weird though the knicks know other teams will draft a player if they show interest so there is even more secrecy than normal on who they are looking at.

If not him then I agree with Finestrg trade down and try to find some roleplayers in the second round.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
[video=youtube;km632hL-XCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=km632hL-XCo[/video]

If this kid is on the board the knicks need to take him. He might not come over right now (though draft express says he has good NBA opt outs) but by the time the 2015 season kicks around he would be a great piece to add to that re-tooled team. Its weird though the knicks know other teams will draft a player if they show interest so there is even more secrecy than normal on who they are looking at.

If not him then I agree with Finestrg trade down and try to find some roleplayers in the second round.

I doubt he's on the board when the Knicks pick. Kid is a phenom that has all the NBA GM's drooling over him. I just hope there is a diamond in the rough among those guys Finestrg is talking about but Jermaine Taylor had his shot in the NBA and CDR was cut by two teams this year after short stints so the guys with the most NBA experience I don't think are the answer.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/03...ecs-to-athens/

Greek Freak, 6-10 PG, Draws NBA Execs to Athens

Meet Giannis Antetokoumpo, a 6-10 point guard who already has signed to play professionally next season for Zaragoza in Spain.

Yes, a 6-10 point guard, a Greek freak of Nigerian heritage who could end up being a first-round draft pick after putting on quite a show in the Greek national junior tournament attended by Bryan Colangelo of the Toronto Raptors and Masai Ujiri of the Denver Nuggets.

Antetokoumpo had 33 points, 18 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals to lead the junior club Filathlitikos into the finals against Panathinaikos’ junior team. It was a breakout performance from the child prodigy, who reportedly grew up living illegally in Greece his entire life after his mother emigrated from Nigeria. His 20-year-old brother, Thannasis, a 6-foot-7 small forward, also is considered an NBA prospect.

Oklahoma City’s Sam Presti and Houston’s Daryl Morey, among others, also have been to Athens to scout Antetokoumpo, whose contract with Zaragoza is said to contain an affordable buyout clause.

tiger0330

Legend
Posted this in my "Keeping JR Smith" thread also but he's an "option" for next year, I hope teams are scared off by the old JR and don't outbid the Knicks but I have been impressed with his demeanor and his numbers this season under Woody. ESPN's Jared Zwerling wrote this article on JR today.

What is the potential value of J.R. Smith?

April, 6, 2013

A 23.9 points average over his team's 11-game winning streak, including four outings of at least 30 points. And more than one steal per game during that span, as well as two double-digit rebounding nights.

Not only is Knicks sixth man J.R. Smith having a career year, but he's also heating up at the right time of the season.

J.R. Smith

#8 SG
New York Knicks

2013 STATS

• GM75
  • PPG17.8
  • RPG5.2
  • APG2.7
  • FG%.416
  • FT%.774

Now, there's some talk brewing of what Smith could command in the offseason as an unrestricted free agent.

First off, it's important to note his salary situation. Because Smith has Early Bird Rights, the Knicks can pay him up to 175 percent of this season's salary, which is $2.8 million. That means the Knicks could offer him a contract for next season at about $5 million, and the agreement could be up to four years with standard raises.

However, another team with significant cap space can offer Smith a higher amount than $5.5 million, and the Knicks would be powerless to stop him from leaving. And since he's not restricted, meaning the Knicks have no control over his free agency, they won't be able to match any offer sheets to retain him.

The Knicks could have extended his contract at this point in the season, and gone over the cap, only if it was the third anniversary of his signing. What matters is that he signed last summer, and there's no way the Knicks can extend him this year.

With that being said, how much could Smith fetch?

The consensus from two agents, one NBA executive and a veteran scout is that there's still uncertainty over what he could earn because of his overall persona. Both agents called him "a wild card" for his past inconsistent play and party lifestyle. But his playoff performance could change that perspective.

"Other teams will be skittish because he is still a wild card," one agent said. "With the new CBA, I think he will be good for $5 million at the minimum. Maybe more if the Knicks advance."

"[A higher-priced contract] could possibly happen, but some teams may be afraid of him," the scout said. "Not a great history and you have to wonder what happens if he gets a lot of money."

It's worth noting that when Smith first chose the Knicks over the Clippers last February after coming back from China, it was a financial difference between $2.4 million and $1.4 million.

"Smith probably wants to start," the executive said, "but money trumps starting."

That money could come from the Suns or Hawks, two teams that will have dollars to spend this summer and could use an elite starting shooting guard to help them get over the hump.

In favor of the Knicks keeping Smith is his close relationship with Carmelo Anthony and Mike Woodson, who has helped push the 27-year-old into a Sixth Man Award favorite. In addition, Smith loves New York City beyond the court, from being close to home to the nightlife, and he's also seen a recent spike in his sponsorship deals (for example, SK Energy).

While the Knicks are currently the free-agent leaders for Smith's services, a deep playoff run could make things interesting.

finestrg

Rotation player
PG Curtis Jerrells is a guy that I've always thought pretty highly of -- just saw that he resurfaced in the D-League a couple of weeks ago. Former Baylor Bear, he's since made a prior stop in the D-League where he dominated (Austin Toros) and then made the rounds in Europe (Serbia--where I think he won a championship in that league, Spain, Germany, Turkey). The kid's a nice little lefty scoring PG with good ability -- 6'1" 195, very quick, good first step to the basket and he's a good 3-pt shooter as well. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Jennings. Dude definitely has NBA talent. Again, none of these guys I'm mentioning here are probably star-caliber, but they're all solid alternatives we could add to the mix on the cheap for next yr. to help reshape the underbelly of this roster into something younger, quicker, bigger and more talented.

metrocard

Legend
If Felton is our starting PG next season, we won't improve as a team.

Do everything we can do to get Trey Burke.

nyk_nyk

All Star
If Felton is our starting PG next season, we won't improve as a team.

Do everything we can do to get Trey Burke.

Starting PG is not the position to be concerned about. We need BIGS. If we don't replace the old big men currently not playing, the team will suffer. Chandler needs consistent help defensively in the paint.

Wargames

Starter
I have a feeling we're going to keep Copeland and bring Sims up from the D League those 2 will add some youth to our front court and will still be cheap.

As for Giannis all the guys who were scouting him go after the knicks in this draft. Except the Celtics who need a backup PG way more than the knicks. Arguably the knicks are the first team on draft night who has any need for a swingman forward.

Draft Express still has him going a spot after the knicks pick and thats after the number 1 euro player decided not to go this draft. EIther way who knows? The knicks will likely, wisely play this thing close to their chest since they learned after the warriors stole curry. If its anything like Shump they will find a guy early and ask him to sit out other team workouts due to "injury" once its over.

metrocard

Legend
Starting PG is not the position to be concerned about. We need BIGS. If we don't replace the old big men currently not playing, the team will suffer. Chandler needs consistent help defensively in the paint.

Felton is the weakest link in our starting 5, the moment we upgrade at PG is the moment we become a better team.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Id be wet if we can somehow get trey Burke. That dude will be legit on the Knicks that step back is Jr like( swishs is the best in the L ). His vision is there too and dude runs a fluid team. Great back up to learn from Kidd till feltips contract is up. Another great addition would be Mitch mcgray

As for JR id honestly be shocked if he left. My moneys on he comes back. My one hope is we get Shumpert a bigger role he's still not 100% but he's starting to get back to his game. Dude has lots of potential.

Wargames

Starter
Felton is the weakest link in our starting 5, the moment we upgrade at PG is the moment we become a better team.

if it happens it would likely be a vet player brought in. All signs point to the knicks not wanting to train a pg to be able to distribute and unless you draft one in the lottery (and sometime even then like John Wall) it take a few seasons for them to adjust to the NBA.

That's why I don't see the knicks drafting a PG. Maybe a Center since this draft is full of decent ones but like I said I could see a really good SF fall down the draft due to everyone focusing on getting Centers.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
How 'bout Gerardo Suero? Anyone ever seen this kid play? Athletic, well put together 6'4" 205 SG who played one yr (2011-2012 season) at Albany where he performed very well for a first time player coming over from the Dominican Republic:

31.7 mins. per, 21.5 ppg, 46% FGs (35.8% on 3s), 83% FTs (220-265), 5.8 rpg, 3.1 asst, 1.3 steals.

Granted, the American East Conference isn't the best competition--nevertheless, those are some impressive numbers...Never saw him that one season but just looking over whatever clips I could find -- I like his game a lot. Can really slash and get to the rim. 265 FT attempts is A TON for a college season. And he hit them at an 83% clip too which is great for a 1st-time college player. Look how much more efficient JR Smith has been since he started taking the ball to the basket more and going to the line more. That's how this kid plays -- looks like he relentlessly attacks the rack which is high % basketball. Jumper looked adequate too (36% on 3s is quite respectable) as is pulling down almost 6 rebs a game, great for a wing. I'll continue researching him (not sure where he is now), but this kid looks like one of the better bargin bin types out there. I wouldn't mind seeing this kid in Summer League to get a closer look, esp. if JR signs elsewhere.

tiger0330

Legend
Heard about Suero from a buddy of mine. Best player on the Danes squad but playing against second level competition, he was going to be a 24 year old senior at U of Albany and left to make some money in the pros, he quit to enter last years draft and wasn't given a whiff in the draft. There was talk of him going to Europe but I don't think anything came of that either just like the NBA draft. Best case is he would be a 2 year project so I would say no as a Knick prospect.