Glenn has to be the front runner for GM of the year right?: lets look at canidates

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look I am of course biased towards anyone who is affiliated with The Knicks...but I am also realistic.

I mean as good a job as Woody has done coaching this year Tommy Tibbs, Karl and Spolestra all deserve the nod over him for Coach of The Year

Tyson has been pretty good defensively this year, yet I do not think he even came close to Defensive player of the year

But honestly I do not see anyone as doing a better job in the front office as Glen Grunwald.

At the start of the season this was Mitch Kupchick's award and Billy King was probably 2nd with Glen not even being thought of (outside of us oh so insightful Knick fans of course) but The Lakers have been...enough said!

and Brooklyn has been steady but with Damian Lillard emerging as a possible star and Gerald Wallace (who Portland traded away for the pick that nabbed Lillard) being over payed and out of the rotation, Kris Humphries too got a big contract and has been out of the rotation and neither of their self proclaimed "best backcourt in The NBA" being able to land a spot on The All Star Team, not to mention the firing of their coach just a month in it is hard to consider this a praise worthy front office job by King to say the least.

The Heat were thought to have made this huge splash...but Ray Allen and Lewis have been forgetful this year! The inability to sure up the Center position but rather chase more perimeter players is a head scratcher...now on the court The Heat have been fine, but that's from Pat the Rat's work 2 years ago! They got The Birdman, but Martin is looking like the far better option, plus Birdman still has an open case for Child abuse so he's not the most PR friendly player to have!

Now to Glenny.

In a year without any draft picks he still brought in 2 very solid rookies. not your conventional rookies, but that only further proves my point!

I thought Copeland was a meaningless signing as well as Pablo and both have been huge for us during this streak.

I thought we blew it with not getting Kmart at the start of the season only to nab him on the cheap and he's proving very effective..keeping him out of Mia was huge in terms of the balance in The East!

other off season moves are proving pretty good...I mean Camby did not pan out at all, Steve got a little more money than I am comfortable with but getting Kidd, huge! and regardless of what you feel about Felton, Lin not taking the league by storm and standing out as an elite PG (at least not yet for all you Lin supporters and/or Felton bashers) makes our front office look smart for not matching that tough offer sheet.

JR Smith will get paid this summer, as he absolutely should, but not overpaying last summer was also another smart move and dollar for dollar there has not been any better value from a bench player not on a rookie contract. And the same can be said for Felton; love or hate him, from a GM standpoint any non rookie player averaging more than 3x as many points as millions he's earning is a great value for a team!

Consider it has been as bad a year with injuries as any and we got 50 wins when a lesser put together squad would be fighting for a playoff spot right now.

Now some of the credit goes to Woody of course, but Glenn has set the squad up beautifully.

Thoughts? any possible GM of year I am forgetting?

p0nder

Starter
Melo for GM of the year. See the "Melo is better then Durrant" thread for my reasoning. But yes GG has done a good job in collecting talents of vast quantities for pittance and should be considered

tiger0330

Legend
You have to consider Ujiri out in Denver and Gary Sacks of the Clippers. Glen did a great job with what he had to work with but Ujiri and Sacks have assembled teams that can compete for years while Grunny has at most a two year window.

jafet6

Benchwarmer
lol at the Heat...so allen has made the heat bench scoring from a liability to a strenght...rashard lewis has been good the pass games...and if the heat get an injury the have deep till the 13 players...also the birdman has been better than kmart(for miamis need) i wanted kmart to the heat but seing the way anderson has played he is a better fit, becaue of his lenght...kmart is a better player but miami needed lenght...also pat riley did not win EOTY in 2010 nor 2011 so he is due to win this year just like spoalstra is due to win COTY, since everybody have been so hard on him, including me, he has done a fabolouse job in miami offense and the defense has been great the past 3 year...best record in the nba and have won games without the big 3...cant say the same about woodson...

metrocard

Legend
no...im where i want to be...See you in the ECF...let the 3's rain, and JR ball handling skill show....

Miami got 2 losses against the Knicks this season. The ball is on your court, we got everything to win and nothing to lose. If Miami fails, you have the world to lose. Questions will come back up if the Big 3 is a fake dynasty and can LeBron ever win multiple rings like MJ or Kobe.

A lot of pressure on Miami, so worry about your team and don't stress our 3pt shooting and JR's crossovers.

jafet6

Benchwarmer
Miami got 2 losses against the Knicks this season. The ball is on your court, we got everything to win and nothing to lose. If Miami fails, you have the world to lose. Questions will come back up if the Big 3 is a fake dynasty and can LeBron ever win multiple rings like MJ or Kobe.

A lot of pressure on Miami, so worry about your team and don't stress our 3pt shooting and JR's crossovers.
have u seen miami whiout their big guns...since the streak they are 5-1...all without two of the big 3 or all of them...oh and they have actually been consistent all year with their 3's...oh and they would have the 2 best player in every single series...but he i give u guys one game...the same as OKC and SA...

metrocard

Legend
That don't even mean anything.
Miami played the Bobcats, 76ers, Bucks, Wizards, and Hornets. All lottery teams.

The win against a Ginobili-less spurs was decent.

in between that, a double digit loss to the Knicks.

Knicks been playing injured all season.

You better hope the Knicks stay injured or Miami's worst nightmare will become a reality. If Miami doesn't win a championship this year except big changes and a complete overhaul of the team.

jafet6

Benchwarmer
That don't even mean anything.
Miami played the Bobcats, 76ers, Bucks, Wizards, and Hornets. All lottery teams.

The win against a Ginobili-less spurs was decent.

in between that, a double digit loss to the Knicks.

Knicks been playing injured all season.

You better hope the Knicks stay injured or Miami's worst nightmare will become a reality. If Miami doesn't win a championship this year except big changes and a complete overhaul of the team.
that a big if...

Kiyaman

Legend
Why?

Why would a Heat fan sign up for a Knicks forum?

WHY?
Pat Riley admired Glen Grunwald offseason achievements of putting a ROSTER together to go 7 hard games in the 2012-13 postseason with the championship Miami Heat.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

it was up to Woody & Melo (Dolan's Goldenboy) to get the ROSTER on the court ....
NO! the two didnt do a good job, although, the two gave the team some decent achievements ....
1) Winning Atlantic Division Title,
2) 50+ win season
3) JR top candidate 6th man award,
4) Melo challenging the 3 season scoring champ (Durant) down to the final games for the scorer title.

Grunwald did an award winning job for the 2012-13 Knicks season, its to bad Glen forgot it was the "LinSanity-Era" that got him a contract at the end of the season...

New New York

Quiet Storm
We had you down double digits every game this year and one time being right smack in the midst of that win streak...Woody is my man, but poor coaching lost that one game for us, you guys had/have nothing for a healthy Stat and that was showing in the game we lost to you but Woody pulled him way too early!

we also beat you without Melo and Amare, and Shump at home by 20...say what you want about you guys not playing your best ball at that point that type of loss should never occur with your talent level...that doesn't translate to your team being bad just shows that The Knicks aren't at all afraid to go toe to toe with Miami

But back to the point at hand...Pat Riley did not do anything special this off season...hey like Bron said at that press conference you can put just about any talent around that core (Wade Lebron Bosh) and they will be successful

Battier is the most valuable player outside of the Big 3, followed by Chalmers and Haslem...you did nothing this year that made you better than you already were...the dominance is that intense amount of talent gelling

You sign Andersen and not KMart? Say what you want about team needs...KMart is hands down the better player and polygraph Pat Riley (and anyone in your organization) and it will show they are lying if they said they'd rather Andersen! One is a role hustle role player one is a leader role player

Riley deserved GM of year 2010 but not even in conversation this year! Ray Allen and Mike Miller is tedious, why get Lewis when you have Battier again all this without a bonafied Center or backup PG (Cole is a undersized SG)

Building around your Big 3 could be done by just about anyone

tiger0330

Legend
You have to consider Ujiri out in Denver and Gary Sacks of the Clippers. Glen did a great job with what he had to work with but Ujiri and Sacks have assembled teams that can compete for years while Grunny has at most a two year window.
Looks like Ujiri out in Denver won Exec of the Year. WTF, Denver takes COY and Exec of the year after getting tossed in the first round. When was the last time a team won both awards in the same year?

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Looks like Ujiri out in Denver won Exec of the Year. WTF, Denver takes COY and Exec of the year after getting tossed in the first round. When was the last time a team won both awards in the same year?

Voting due before the playoffs start. Bulls, 2011, Suns 2005, Grizzlies 2004, were 3 of the more recent dual winners.

tiger0330

Legend
Voting due before the playoffs start. Bulls, 2011, Suns 2005, Grizzlies 2004, were 3 of the more recent dual winners.
Thanks, now that I think about it, makes sense if a team is winning that the GM and coach might win it in the same year. Woody and Grunny were very close to winning both for the Knicks this year.

ESPN just ran an article about Karl being one of the most disappointing coaches in the playoffs because he has only gotten out of the 1st round once though he has made the playoffs for 10 consecutive seasons.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Lame Lame Lame

Look no one involved in The Dwight Howard trade should be eligible...true of the 3 other teams looks like Denver got the most value, yet that was not crafty GM skills but rather an idiot calling the shots in Orlando...that deal frankly should not have gone down!

Dumping Al Harrington and getting Iggy was brilliant in any other case, but this was like beating a blind kid in mini Golf! Orlando's GM in one season has put himself on Isiah's level! I mean JJ Reddick for Tobias Harris when Playoff bound teams were offering 1st and 2nd rounders in whatever draft you wanted!

I mean not for nothin Uri is a bright young GM in the league but the success of his team has been from moves in years past, what did he do this particular season that really elevated his team? Iggy helped but Ty Lawson was their MVP. And on a team with Gallo,Wilson,Corey Brewer, was there really a need for another SF...again the brilliance is in dumping Harrington but again that was more foolishness by your trading partner.

Not to mention there is a chance (albeit a small one) that they lose Iggy in off season which means Arron Affalo and a 1st rounder were lost for 1 season

now to Glenny

you can not emphasize enough the importance of landing a starting PG and not matching Lin's contract. Now consider Felton's value and what we gave up for him then much respect is due to Glen

Camby's contract and Novak could be the killers here

but Pablo and Copeland are huge saving graces. These are guys any NBA team had the right to pursue this off season but did not and are two of the best diamond in the rough finds this season.

KMart's signing was awesome

How about not caving and hiring a big name coach but going with the coach that took over and got it done on an interim basis (there is this corny team in black that should take a page out of this book). Not Phil, nor Jerry Sloan got a call, this illustrated confidence in Woody and Woody showed he deserved it this season!

We did not bite on that Jared Dudley for Shump deal during the season.

But no use crying over spilled milk, congrats to Uri! Glen Knicks fans are proud of you and that's no easy feat!

tiger0330

Legend
^ Good post. Grunny was tied for 3rd in the voting with Daryl Morey of Houston and Gary Sacks of LA was second in the voting.