Plea to the Knicks: Trade Novak

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I will be the lone person to disagree I guess. I like Novak. Always have. This year his his shooting percentage is down, but I would argue he's still one of the 5 best shooters in the league. his percentages is down because when Mike Woodson took over, he took away crucial plays which made Novak successful. Novak should be part of pick and rolls/pick and pops at the very least ONCE a game, a couple of screens for the man please. I mean you put him out there and have him just waiting for a pass that rarely comes, is ridiculous play calling. I blame Woodson for not finding plays to run for him, and I truly believe an offensive minded assistant coach is in order for next season. His defense is bad yes, but the point some made during this discussion about crawford scoring the points on him is funny to me. listen, Crawford is a shooting guard, he's 6'5. For the most part a 6'5 guard would beat a 6'10 forward off the dribble 70% of the time.

Look, I know he's not a great defender, but I think he's serviceable enough especially if he's hitting his shot. I think if you put the man in a position to do that, he will open up the court and make it much easier for the team to score.

Popovich couldn't find use for him either, he's useless

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

nyk_nyk

All Star
I will be the lone person to disagree I guess. I like Novak. Always have. This year his his shooting percentage is down, but I would argue he's still one of the 5 best shooters in the league. his percentages is down because when Mike Woodson took over, he took away crucial plays which made Novak successful. Novak should be part of pick and rolls/pick and pops at the very least ONCE a game, a couple of screens for the man please. I mean you put him out there and have him just waiting for a pass that rarely comes, is ridiculous play calling. I blame Woodson for not finding plays to run for him, and I truly believe an offensive minded assistant coach is in order for next season. His defense is bad yes, but the point some made during this discussion about crawford scoring the points on him is funny to me. listen, Crawford is a shooting guard, he's 6'5. For the most part a 6'5 guard would beat a 6'10 forward off the dribble 70% of the time.

Look, I know he's not a great defender, but I think he's serviceable enough especially if he's hitting his shot. I think if you put the man in a position to do that, he will open up the court and make it much easier for the team to score.

Respect your opinion but sadly you're wrong. Novak stands on the perimeter because that's all he can do. He's not good at shooting off the dribble or making decisions once he decides to dribble. Like I said in the original post, he'll give you 1-2 threes a game but it doesn't justify the salary and playing time he gets. We have guys that can open up the court and they can do other things as well. I predict Copeland overlapping Novak through next training camp thus making Novak even more expendable. A 6-10 shooter who doesn't play big is just an accessory.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I like copeland, and I like Novak. I don't agree though that if given the same amounts of outside shots, that Cope would be more efficient than Novak. This year, given Copelands limited playing time, his stats are nice, and he can do more than just shoot the ball (which I love) ... but if you are looking for a straight shooter, I would still go with Novak. And I think the Knicks need to implement both Novak and Copeland in their rotation. But putting them in the game means nothing if Woodson doesn't run plays to allow their shooters some room to get their shot off. His (Novak) defense may not be great but if used strategically -(Guarding Mahinmi or Hansbrough) he could be hidden on the defense end and still succeed on the offense end.