Hoping to lure JR back to NY by signing his brother Chris?

finestrg

Rotation player
Apparently, we haven't heard the end of Chris Smith with the Knicks.

http://www.knicksjournal.com/2013/05/chris-smith-scrimmaging-with-knicks.html

Anyone see this? Hey, it's creative at least, I'll give 'em that. Question is -- is it worth it? They know that they'll only be able to offer JR a certain number (what is it -- only a little over $5M a yr/4 yrs max or something, right?) and I guess this is something the Knicks hope, along with playing in NY and for a coach he likes, placates him & convinces him to stay. Is it worth tying up salary and a roster spot in an inferior player that probably isn't NBA material, though?? And is bringing JR himself back even worth it anymore at this point?? Been stinkin' up the joint lately and we've heard twice now that he's been out late the night before playoff games boozin' it up.

Can't help but wonder if we'd be better off re-tooling the SG position with much cheaper alternatives -- i.e. bargin bin types like Jermaine Taylor/Jamelle Horne/Scotty Hopson/Derrick Byars/Chris Douglas-Roberts through FA; Reggie Bullock or Carrick Felix late in the draft with a 2nd round pick we could hopefully acquire; maybe picking up a guy like Dwayne Davis outta Southern Miss. or Durand Scott outta Miami if they go undrafted and inviting them to SL/training camp (both guys just excelled at Portsmouth), etc...

What do you guys think of this move with Chris Smith and is JR even worth it anymore? Discuss..

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
I probably shouldn't be talking about this right now since we're in the middle of the playoffs but I have a strange feeling the Knicks are going to pull some strings to get Chris Paul. If you look at the salaries on Hoops Hype its obvious that the Knicks are trying to get under the 74 Million dollar threshold to be able to do sign and trades. In order to get to that point, the Knicks need to let JR (approx. 3M$) go. JR has a lot of talent but he can be very inconsistent and unreliable. I don't think he has the desire or dedication to win the championship personally. I doubt JR is going to take that 3 Million player option and he will probably get offered much higher by a different team. Honestly, It's hard to imagine how it will all play out because a couple of the guys on the Knicks payroll are at the brink of retirement so the Knicks might let some guys go and resign JR to either keep or use as a bargaining chip. I think the Knicks will try to get Chris Paul this year or next year depending on what happens this offseason and once the Knicks have the main pieces (in this theoretical scenario), CP3, Melo, Stat, Tyson (Maybe), and Shump, we can add other cheaper pieces. If we keep Tyson, Chris Paul will have to accept less than a max deal this first year (approx. 2-3 Million). The team we have is awesome and I'm content with it but it's just this hunch that doesn't seem to go away about Chris Paul. Personally, I believe we can win the championship this year with Amare coming back and if he is 100%. I'm obviously not an expert with all the stipulations in trading so I know whoever reads this will take what I've said with a grain of salt, hopefully. I think Raymond Felton fits this team real well but if we don't win the championship, I have a feeling major changes are going to place because that's the urgent goal of the Knicks.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
I don't see STAT going anywhere because of how injury prone he was these past couple of years. He has a 20+ Million dollar contract per year for the next few years and I doubt any other team would want any part of that.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
Chris Paul would only be wanting to come to NY because of Melo so trading Melo is out of the picture too. So Tyson is the only person I see we can trade to be under the cap but I don't see that happening either. Personally, I feel we are going to be releasing the older players or trading them off. Once we have CP3, we might sign up the cheaper players like Copeland, Prigioni, etc.There are so many possibilities. Chris Paul might have to settle for something like 16 Million the first year instead of 19 Million. (I think its only the first year?) If Chris Paul REALLY wants to come to NY, and NY REALLY wants CP3 here, then it'll happen.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Chris Paul would only be wanting to come to NY because of Melo so trading Melo is out of the picture too. So Tyson is the only person I see we can trade to be under the cap but I don't see that happening either. Personally, I feel we are going to be releasing the older players or trading them off. Once we have CP3, we might sign up the cheaper players like Copeland, Prigioni, etc.There are so many possibilities. Chris Paul might have to settle for something like 16 Million the first year instead of 19 Million. (I think its only the first year?) If Chris Paul REALLY wants to come to NY, and NY REALLY wants CP3 here, then it'll happen.

Lets see what JR does the rest of the payoffs before we bring him and his brother back or let him go....

If we get no where this year and Indiana knocks us out the Knicks will need to revamp the team or settle for what we got.

smokes

Huge Member

What the...?

Ok so we're not trading Tyson, STAT or Melo for CP3. Who are we trading for CP3? :lol:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
New York Knicks Salaries

Player
2012/13
2013/14
2014/15
2015/16
2016/17
Amare Stoudemire
$19,948,799
$21,679,893
$23,410,988
$0
$0
Carmelo Anthony
$19,450,000
$21,490,000
$23,530,000
$0
$0
Tyson Chandler
$13,604,188
$14,100,538
$14,596,888
$0
$0
Marcus Camby
$4,590,338
$3,383,773
$4,177,208
$0
$0
Steve Novak
$4,054,055
$3,750,001
$3,445,947
$3,750,000
$0
Raymond Felton
$4,000,000
$4,180,000
$4,360,000
$4,540,000
$0
Jason Kidd
$3,090,000
$3,090,000
$3,090,000
$0
$0
JR Smith
$2,806,452
$2,932,742
$0
$0
$0
Iman Shumpert
$1,680,360
$1,797,600
$2,761,113
$3,898,691
$0
Renaldo Balkman
$1,675,000
$0
$0
$0
$0
Kurt Thomas
$1,352,181
$0
$0
$0
$0
Rasheed Wallace
$1,352,181
$0
$0
$0
$0
James White
$854,389
$0
$0
$0
$0
Chris Copeland
$473,604
$0
$0
$0
$0
Pablo Prigioni
$473,604
$988,872
$0
$0
$0
Kenyon Martin
$429,516
$0
$0
$0
$0
Quentin Richardson
$79,540
$0
$0
$0
$0
Solomon Jones
$62,912
$0
$0
$0
$0
TOTALS:
$79,977,119
$76,404,547
$76,611,031
$8,290,000
$0

My guess is if one of them had to go it would be Tyson but if none of those guys go, the combine salaries of Melo, Stat, Tyson, and Shump would be 59 Million dollars which leaves about 14.5 million dollars for Camby, Novak, Felton, and Kidd. Altogether, the combined salaries would add up to 73.5 million dollars, which would be under the 74 million dollar threshold if JR doesn't pickup the player option. Someone in another forum mentioned a CP3 + Deandre for Tyson, Shump, Camby, Novak, Felton, and Kidd but I don't see the Clippers doing that. Honestly I don't know the rules of the CBA enough to see what could happen. I'm just looking at the numbers and the contracts and it seems like the Knicks have been making major cap space for big changes. Hypothetically, would the Knicks be able to let some of the guys go in or to make enough cap space to bring in CP3? If that were the case we could bring in younger guys or players willing to take less money. If that were the case, the penalty for exceeding the 70 million dollar threshold would effect the Knicks as much.

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
The more I look at the numbers the less likely it seems because that means CP3 has to accept around 4 Million dollars less than the max amount the first year and the second year it would be even less because Shump's contract would go up about a million $. Which means if CP3 wants to get anywhere near his Max contract for the second year, Melo would have to not accept his player option and accept less money for it to be allocated to Chris Paul and I'm not sure if restructuring contracts is possible but if it is, then STAT would have to restructure his contract to reallocate money in CP3's contract. The rest of the roster would be on 1 year deals.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Felton and Stoudemire would have to go and we'd need a 3 or 4 to add as a starter

Wargames

Starter
I don't see us getting CP3. I mean maybe the knicks go for it, but I just can't see it happening. So many teams can offer him a max not to mention the money he would be losing from leaving the clippers..... However if they think they have an honest chance to get him then they should go for it.

However in my mind the most likely move would be to try to keep J.R. Smith and stay pat to the 2015 plan. Maybe sign him to the max years with next year being a player option when the knicks can give him the full amount of the Bird money and sign his brother to a 2 million dollar contract. Basically giving the smith family 7 million next year.

metrocard

Legend
I think getting CP3 would kill our depth, which took forever to build up

That's actually a good thing and our depth only took one season to build. We signed Felton/Kidd/Prigioni in 2012.

Chris Paul >>>>> all our guards combined.

Paul/Shumpert with Prigioni and Kidd off the bench would be unstoppable.

bigapple

Starter
he rejected 105/6 year already.

http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/if-you-do-the-math-cp3-to-the-knicks-is-possible/

anyway i dont keeping his side.

SImply i dont like too much * in 1 team

Griffin has been created by NBA and he is described by Deandre Jordan as simply dunkman nothing more

his commercials starting boring me

CP3 when he sux whole team sux.

Yes indeed they beat Heat @ home

but look who wana again to loose half roster for 1 player.

Felton Kidd Pablo 2 of them would have to leave

http://www.fantasysp.com/start/nba/6613/chris-paul-or-stephen-curry

NewYork

Benchwarmer
That's actually a good thing and our depth only took one season to build. We signed Felton/Kidd/Prigioni in 2012.

Chris Paul >>>>> all our guards combined.

Paul/Shumpert with Prigioni and Kidd off the bench would be unstoppable.
Yeah, IMO not only would having Chris Paul improve the offense of all our guys, and defensively CP3 and Shump would turn the Knicks into a Thieves Guild. We'd be manufacturing steals more than Nike's in a sweatshop. But if that were to happen we'd probably lose one of our most important pieces in our center Tyson Chandler, and leave a big defensive hole in the middle of the paint.

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
he rejected 105/6 year already.

http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/if-you-do-the-math-cp3-to-the-knicks-is-possible/

anyway i dont keeping his side.

SImply i dont like too much * in 1 team

Griffin has been created by NBA and he is described by Deandre Jordan as simply dunkman nothing more

his commercials starting boring me

CP3 when he sux whole team sux.

Yes indeed they beat Heat @ home

but look who wana again to loose half roster for 1 player.

Felton Kidd Pablo 2 of them would have to leave

http://www.fantasysp.com/start/nba/6613/chris-paul-or-stephen-curry
Yea as sexy as our team would be with CP3 on our team, I don't see how we'll bring him aboard without changing the complexion of the team. I've been looking at the CBA regulations and it seems pretty bleak. Maybe Glen Grunwald could pull something off hopefully but I'd rather not lose any of our main guys since we already have a really good team but it'll be interesting how far the Knicks go in the Playoffs and hopefully we'll win it all. These CP3 talks should only remain if we don't make it all the way but I have a really good feeling we will!