How is this not a foul ???

mafra

Legend
knicksrunweb15s-6-web.jpg
All series long, all I've heard was how the refs are letting Indy play physical and that when Hibbert jumps "straight up in the air" the refs are letting the contact take place w/out blowing the whistle. Here's the perfect example, Hibbert is reaching forward with his arm and using his leg to kick 'Melo. This is the textbook definition of a foul. I harp on this, b/c I harken back to the 90s, when it would infuriate me that MJ would ALWAYS get the benefit of the whistle when he would attack the rim. Ewing, Mason, Oakley... whatever... MJ would drive and jump and lurch toward the rim, jump into a Knick big... and ALWAYS the call would go against the Knicks. A defender would never get away with jumping in the air and absorbing contact from the offensive player without a call. ONLY if the defensive player remained stationary, rooted to the court with hands in the air... So this series boggles the mind how Carmelo fouls out but not Hibbert? There's more offensive calls on 'Melo than defensive fouls on Hibbert. Indy takes DOUBLE the FTs last night? Bottom line: Refs are not why Knicks are getting dominated by Indy, but if the refs are going to allow Indy to play physical... then it's no wonder why NY is getting dominated. Simple as that. 'Carmelo is fouled on nearly every possession. HIbbert should have 3 fouls in the 1st quarter every game... If refs are going to allow the Indy big center to jump in the air and swat both his arm and leg at the penetrator, then Indy will win in 5.
knicksrunweb15s-4-web.jpg
/New York Daily News
I GUESS THIS IS AN OFFENSIVE FOUL ON 'MELO, even though he's being shoved too?

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
I agree. It's funny that Melo doesn't have the "cache" to get these obvious foul calls. Multiple All-Star games, US Select team leader, NBA scoring title, no matter. If the Pacers pull this crap with Crybaby Bron Hibbert will foul out in the first quarter. And Reggie Miller and JVG crowing about verticality???? Get real. The first principal of the rule of verticality is: you have the right to the space above your outstretched arms/hands, but not when you LEAVE THE GROUND!!!! Do they think we just started watching/playing hoops yesterday???? I guess so because they say that crap without laughing into the mic first real talk. I will be VERY interested to see how that mess is called when Lebron goes to the rack if we lose this series.

fender0577

Rotation player
I'm not going to cry about the refs, the knicks need to man up and stop crying to the refs also. Hibbert is getting away with murder i agree, but the knicks have looked horrible to, move the ball, get a rebound, set a screen , cut without the ball for crying out loud, i can go on all night. Hibbert is only doing what the refs allow,there's so much more we could be doing, that would negate what hibbert is getting away with.Just my 2cent.

CA7

Scoring Champ
hey Mafra do you notice when Hibbert jumps straight in the air he bumps our guys and then blocks the shot, I can not understand how he can knock them off balance and then still not get called for a foul, I dont understand it

How can the more physical team shoot more FT's than the less aggressive on D

Something is up I know it

bigapple

Starter
Melo says he eyes miracle comeback but how 0-4 vs Pacers @their floor imagine last year Knicks had no problems with Pacers even with poorer roster.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Thats how i see it too. We usually smoke dem at home every time passed couple years. I still believe we can advance. Its sad we have to depend on shots falling though... We need that tough defense from the Boston series back. The defense comes with the offense. Guys bring more energy on defense when we are scoring and hitting our shots. When we are down it seems like we lose momentum and energy on defense.

Red

TYPE-A
A foul is purpose or inadvertent contact and obviously the calls are subjective and skewed.

But my issue is 2 fold:

1. Like we see up top TYSON CHANDLER (who is Hibberts' man) is in the picture, knowing we need to drive, and he cannot and does not demonstrate the big man ability to CLEAR THE PAINT.

2. Answer back! a) When the Refs continually make bias calls you only have one recourse... KEEP DRIVING IN UNTIL ITS SO SKEWED AND OBVIOUS that they must call it and they see your adjustment to their style and b) when you miss your shots you have to drive the rock and in the case of TYSON CHANDLER he must Patrol the paint with vigor again alerting the Refs that he will do exactly what the opponent did and they MUST be fair.

*This view point is in contrast to steering away from the contact and shooting awful ill-advised jumpers which neglects to give the Refs and their bosses a valid sample to test their bias. They have nothing to compare except for a play here and there which their minds seem to think: if I call this it will look as if it's payback -or- I'm supposed to forget the last calls and call it like I see it, not considering their bias, and thus only calling in one teams favor.

The Refs have to get constant and consistent reminders to be fair. If they slip or let one get away (as in they neglect to call Hibbert for a foul in favor of a legit block) and it take 10 plays later for them to consider that same call- their minds/egos would rather call it again just to seem consistent although it was biased to begin with. In short they'd rather be consistently wrong (biased) than be inconsistently fair which would take the ability to admit a mistake.

mafra

Legend
Tonight another example of the bias in this series. Once again, Indy - the more physical team - takes twice as many free throws as NY, despite the fact Knicks were home at MSG. Incredible! I mean, Anthony isn't fouled until his 22nd shot? C'mon refs... 'Melo's first free throw comes with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter? Carmelo took the majority of his shots elbow in to the rim. Lots of hard work in the paint... But no fouls, despite the fact that George has his hand on Anthony the entire time. It is against the laws of physics for this to be possible. Bad job by refs, but what else is new. Had not Copeland showed up, and Pacers miss their free throws, we would have lost.

Reactions: CA7

tiger0330

Legend
Tonight another example of the bias in this series. Once again, Indy - the more physical team - takes twice as many free throws as NY, despite the fact Knicks were home at MSG. Incredible! I mean, Anthony isn't fouled until his 22nd shot? C'mon refs... 'Melo's first free throw comes with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter? Carmelo took the majority of his shots elbow in to the rim. Lots of hard work in the paint... But no fouls, despite the fact that George has his hand on Anthony the entire time. It is against the laws of physics for this to be possible. Bad job by refs, but what else is new. Had not Copeland showed up, and Pacers miss their free throws, we would have lost.
We'll need those calls on Saturday. Happy for the W but Indy wasn't playing with their starting PG and they shot less than 60% from the FT line. At least Woody knows he has to play Cope and bench JKidd in game 6.

Red

TYPE-A

:agreed:

Again, the Hibbert goes "straight up" (which is virtually impossible unless standing perfectly still) talk neglects to recognize BUT MAKES CONTACT WITH HIS BODY and this is a foul!

Guy's were getting beat up blatantly and then I see the ticky-tack fouls! WTF? Did you see some of those fouls in the 3rd? Shump fighting to get around a screen? The officiating in this series is awful. Simply awful.:whatever:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Yep double the freethrows, a bogus technical on Melo just trying to hold a guy up, and TC gets body slammed in the 4th no call. You hate to keep complaining about the refs but these guys have been terrible.

mafra

Legend
It's comical now with the "Hibbert goes straight up" calls. Last night, Reggie Miller kept saying they allowed Roy to play that way earlier in the series, but not last night. He even said Roy got all ball on one block late in the game... Sure, he got all ball, and arm and elbow as well, and even pulled wrist down. This is an obvious foul. Let's put it another way, b/c these bogus refs blew calls both ways - blew their whistles on phantom calls against both sides. By accident you would think they would have a quick whistle and call a foul on Indy (even if there was no foul). DO you think Kobe, MJ or Lebron would see their first free throw in the 4th quarter, in the same situation? Game 5 at home, trailing 3-1 in the series? You think Lebron would take 22 shots until the refs send him to the FT line?

knicksince 93

Rotation player
It's comical now with the "Hibbert goes straight up" calls. Last night, Reggie Miller kept saying they allowed Roy to play that way earlier in the series, but not last night. He even said Roy got all ball on one block late in the game... Sure, he got all ball, and arm and elbow as well, and even pulled wrist down. This is an obvious foul. Let's put it another way, b/c these bogus refs blew calls both ways - blew their whistles on phantom calls against both sides. By accident you would think they would have a quick whistle and call a foul on Indy (even if there was no foul). DO you think Kobe, MJ or Lebron would see their first free throw in the 4th quarter, in the same situation? Game 5 at home, trailing 3-1 in the series? You think Lebron would take 22 shots until the refs send him to the FT line?

That's why jr penetrating is so vital, he'll get to the free throw line because he gets calls that melo unfairly doesn't get.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

petescud

Starter
The refs are idiots. What they usually do call fouls i disagree with, and then there the blatant foul that they ignore. I would hate being a pro ballplayer just for this reason.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
if I was a proballer , I would have been banned by the NBA. even if I had the super allstar Jordan skills on roids, I wouldn't hesitate to KTFO a ref. once they boot me, i'll just play euro-ball or cba or something and then kill the usa team as a comeback.