Iman Shumpet > JR Smith

metrocard

Legend
960188_646206835406217_1820527291_n.jpg

Shump only has played 1 whole NBA season with the lockout last year and his injury this year.

He has Dwayne Wade upside with a 3pt shot.

We already seen the best of JR Smith, and his prime isn't anything sexy.

Shumpert is the complete package at SG and playing him at SF would just hinder his progress and comfort with his game.

Let JR go.

His Jamal Crawford style of ball isn't needed on this team, along with Woodson who has a hard on for JR and never reduces his minutes even if JR isn't playing defense or looking terrible on offense. Players should earn their minutes, not be awarded.

JR's poor defense throughout the playoffs and god-awful shooting really killed the meaning of his 6th man award..JR failed the franchise and I think we'll be too nice in giving him a second chance.

Rob Low

Rotation player
I agree with letting Smith walk. Also I love Pablo and his on ball pressure but no way in hell is he in the same galaxy as Shump on D. One thing that was overlooked is Shump's D on George during this series. He's gonna be way better after an offseason to work on his game.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
What's good Metro! The Jamal Crawford reference is on point. Woodson went with his gut and took a shot on JR. Can't hate on him for that. My issue with him is he never changed course when it clearly wasn't working out. 5 for 17 is not something we can live with. And it's not like JR is all that effective without the ball. Lastly, this live by the 3 **** has to stop. I love spot up shooters but we need an inside outside game and a team that does not completely rely on Melo to score. Will Amare ever get back to 30 mins per game? Can he get back to an 18 pt, 6 boards per game player again?

metrocard

Legend
damn, when the Don is back, you know it's serious times in the Knicks nation.
Good to hear from you.
JR Smith and Woodson are an unbreakable couple, can their relationship hold the Knicks franchise reaching it's fullest potential?

Amare's inside scoring has had his moments, but within those moments he gets hurt; fragile like dining room glass and comes back from injury looking like he has a Kurt Thomas vertical leap, gets easily blocked and can't out rebound guys like Sam Young or Lance Stephenson.

We need big changes.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Amar'e's contract is a problem, no doubt. But we need to focus on what we can actually fix.

Shump is an excellent player. He has demonstrated a good outside shot so far this year, we know for a fact that he is athletic as all hell, and he's always been a great defender. An off-season for him to work on his game and I think he has a good shot of being Most Improved Player for 2013-2014 kinda like Paul George was this year

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
So you are up for losing Smith for nothing after him having a reasonably well year. Keep him and if the time comes use Smith as trade bait. We are not in a position to give up players of value who are on the right side of 30 years old. We have no cap, no room for mistakes, and we need any value we can find or keep. Cope , Smith , Shump, even Felton have value. We are not getting anything in terms of value for Amare or even Tyson Chandler. NBA teams are not going to save / reward the Knicks for giving those two *******s max and near max deals. Any GM that trades for Amare or Tyson will be fired before the all star break....

skisloper

Starter
If JR does sign and Woodson holds him accountable with reduced minutes you will see the negative side of JR that we saw in the playoffs.........Like I said Woody created an ideal situation for JR for him to peak. JR repayed that by his lack luster playoff play and most of all his attitude and commitment......

Kiyaman

Legend
If JR does sign and Woodson holds him accountable with reduced minutes you will see the negative side of JR that we saw in the playoffs.........Like I said Woody created an ideal situation for JR for him to peak. JR repayed that by his lack luster playoff play and most of all his attitude and commitment......

:agreed:
JR.Smith 80 game season, JR average 17 shot attempts per game .. for 18 pts, 5 rbd, 2 ast, 1 stl, 0 blk, 1 to, 2 fouls, and one trip to the foul line in 33 minutes per game.

Here are the Super-Star players that average 17 and under shot attempts per game this season:
Lebron
Durant
Harden
Steph Curry
DWade
Zach Randolph
CP3
Griffin
Plus 2nd season point-foward Paul George .. 15 shot attempts equal 17 pts, 8 rb, 4 ast, 1 stl, in 37 minutes per game.

Do the math .. I doubt if Woody give JR the same greenlight option next season.
How will JR react???

metrocard

Legend
:agreed:
JR.Smith 80 game season, JR average 17 shot attempts per game .. for 18 pts, 5 rbd, 2 ast, 1 stl, 0 blk, 1 to, 2 fouls, and one trip to the foul line in 33 minutes per game.

Here are the Super-Star players that average 17 and under shot attempts per game this season:
Lebron
Durant
Harden
Steph Curry
DWade
Zach Randolph
CP3
Griffin
Plus 2nd season point-foward Paul George .. 15 shot attempts equal 17 pts, 8 rb, 4 ast, 1 stl, in 37 minutes per game.

Do the math .. I doubt if Woody give JR the same greenlight option next season.
How will JR react???

great post Kiya

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree with Knicks4life. We just don't have many options to let a guy like Smith walk away. Our assets are limited and we cant even play around in the FA market (sign and trade) because we are in luxury tax mode. We have no cap space and can only use the mini mid level and minimum contracts to lure players. The NYK scouting team needs to put 150% effort in looking for players in the draft, overseas and in the D league. I'm positive we can improve from 40 yr old Kidd and rarely used Camby. We'll also need a starting PF and another big for depth. Can't count on Kenyon returning and Amare may still be on a minutes restriction next season. Either way, we need a big man who can be a threat in the post.

I want to see the FO work out everyone. There are always sleepers out there but you have to be diligent about finding them. Re-sign Smith because really what are your options for that kinid of talent, as inconsistent as he may be. Shump will continue to progress. I'd especially like him to work on his driving game. He rarely was able to break his man down and attack the basket. Don't want him to develop into a Bruce Bowen type spot up shooter.

Grunwald has to do better. Out of the 5 old heads that he signed, only one of them contributed when it was most important. Becaue of that, I say Grunwald did a horrible job in the offseason. I know it looked pretty decent at first but this league is results based.

Sportiqe

Rookie
See with JR he is hit and miss. He is either really good or terrible. Is it really worth it? He is making what 5 to 7 million a year? (could be wrong) but that is money we could have invested in a player that is up and coming not past his prime such as Iman. JR had his prime with Denver that China trip made him soft. Now do not get me wrong he was great this year but then went cold then warm and back and forth. In my opinion he is not worth that cash. Lets spend it on the future like a draft pick or players that are young. Or to keep Priggy. The best defender.

Last edited by a moderator:

metrocard

Legend
http://knickerblogger.net/is-iman-shumpert-a-shooter/

When the Knicks drafted Iman Shumpert in the 2011 NBA Draft, it wasn’t because of his sterling outside shooting.
In fact, shooting efficiency and 3-point shooting were seen as perhaps Shumpert’s biggest weaknesses. DraftExpress.com’s prospect profile of Shumpert said his shooting “remain by far his biggest weakness.” NBADraft.net’s pre-draft scouting report called him a “very poor jump shooter” and “not efficient at all” on offense. In his pre-draft analysis, ESPN’s Chad Ford at the time said Shumpert, “Struggles with his jump shot,” and has, “Unproven 3-point range.” In his last year at Georgia Tech, Shumpert made fewer than 28 percent of 3-pointers and shot 40.6% from the field.
Unsurprisingly, his first year in the pros validated the wise words from the wise wags. Shumpert shot 30.6% from 3 and had a true shooting percentage of 48.4%. After last season, then-ESPN NBA analyst John Hollinger put quite a fine point on it, calling him a, “Poor outside shooter.”
And now, a year later, here we are. I’ll give you the stats, but just know that Iman Shumpert shot a better percentage from 3 in the 2012-2013 regular season than Klay Thompson, Kyrie Irving, and Ryan Anderson. In just one season, Shumpert went from non-shooter to elite 3-point shooter.
Shumpert shot 40.6% from 3 last season, nearly ten full percentage points better than his rookie year. He bumped up his true shooting percentage by 3.2 percentage points and his effective field goal percentage by 2.5 percentage points. He shot a very good 43.4% from the corner 3 in the regular season, and 9 for 15 from the corner in the playoffs. In those playoffs, when the Knicks faced the most efficient and sixth-most efficient defenses in the NBA, Shumpert actually improved his shooting numbers from the regular season.
Put simply, Shumpert emerged as the sort of efficient shooting threat no one ever expected he would. He fits in particularly well in a modern, Popovich-ian NBA offense that puts a premium on floor spacing and 3-point shooting (the prized goal of which, of course, is the corner 3; the most efficient jump shot in basketball.)
Zach Lowe, an NBA savant who you must read regularly if you don’t already, wrote that Shumpert might be emerging as a new age Shane Battier — a guy who makes efficiency hounds salivate with his ability to defend multiple wing positions and shoot 3s at an elite clip. If Shumpert can combine this newfound elite 3-point shooting ability with his phenomenal multiple-position on-ball defense, his active hands, his explosiveness and athleticism, his ability to get to the rim, and his high basketball IQ, the Knicks might have a really accomplished two-way player on their hands (who, by the way, will be 23 on June 26.)
But can he? Are Shumpert’s shooting improvements sustainable? Unfortunately, we don’t know – because Iman Shumpert has not taken enough shots.
The hope here is that Shumpert’s newfound shooting effectiveness is because of natural player development and his shift to the wing position. He came out of college as a PG/SG, and continued to play point during much of the first half of the 2011-2012 regular season. After Jeremy Lin’s emergence, Shumpert moved to the wing position for the second half of that year.
From that point on, his shooting numbers showed a major improvement. After the All-Star break his true shooting percentage jumped a remarkable 7.8 percentage points to 52.7, his effective field goal percentage improved by 7.7 percentage points, and tellingly, his usage rate dropped by almost 5 percentage points. Freed from ball-handling duties, Shumpert embraced his position on the wing. He touched the ball less and shot far more efficiently, at rates similar to what he put up this past year.
It is possible that player development and embracing his wing role has led to Shumpert’s dramatic 3-point shooting improvement. For example, in 2012-2013 he took 42.5% of his 3s from the corner compared to just 30% in 2011-2012, suggesting a far better and more efficient shot selection. According to Synergy, he has also dramatically increased his shooting percentage on spot-up jumpers and spot-up 3s, and took far fewer shots off pick-and-rolls.
In other words, it is possible that Shumpert moved to the wing position a year and a half ago and never looked back. It is possible that this is all sustainable.
The fear is that Shumpert’s newfound shooting effectiveness is a small sample size mirage. Iman Shumpert has played 104 total NBA regular season games, just over one full season. Last year, he took 125 3-pointers. Behind those gaudy 3-point percentages is a fewer number of attempts than he probably takes during an hour of shooting drills at the gym. The fear is that Shumpert caught fire in March and had a fluky three months of basketball. The fear is that Shumpert had several lucky months that mask that he is who has been since college – an explosive athlete, a dominant defender, and a non-shooter.
The fact is that we don’t have enough data to know whether this is sustainable. The truth might lie somewhere in the middle, but it also might not. And as the Knicks front office faces difficult personnel decisions moving forward, most dramatically whether to include him as part of a potential trade package for an impact player, it sure would be helpful if we knew more about Iman Shumpert