JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

Not sure if this was common knowledge or posted already, but it's being reported that J.R. Smith is likely to re-sign with the Knicks for 4 years at a little more than 5 million a year rather than test the free agent market and possibly cash-in for more with another team.

Here's the story I saw:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...th-will-re-sign-with-knicks-on-four-year-deal

Apparently, part of the agreement is likely to be for the Knicks to also sign J.R.'s brother Chris again. This part of the move is either shady or savvy, depending on what you think about J.R. I suppose.

My take on this deal, if this story is true, is that it avoids a smaller scale version of the Lin mess from last year and gives us at least a little stability going into next season. There is no way we'd get as good a player as the 'good' version of J.R. Smith for a little over 5 million a year. The continued variable is going to be how much of the 'good' J.R. Smith is going to show up once he's got an extended deal.

tiger0330

Legend
The haters gonna hate this move after his playoff performance but it's the right move if JR is willing to sign with the Knicks rather than test the FA waters.

The Knicks could have gambled that he wouldn't have drawn any interest because of his playoff performance and because there a lot of good FA wings on the market this year that JR would have to pick up his player option but I think he had a good enough year to warrant giving him a new deal.

DrB

Benchwarmer
JR...our main man

JR is a great athelete and a talented shooter as but as a doctor I wonder if he has all his marbles or at 27 is just immature. Babe Ruth could drink and hit home runs...so could Mantle and Martin play hung over. Obviously JR 's escape to the brew was psychic pain for game 4 against the Celtics and all of it's reprecussions. For JR to become a great player he must make players around him better and must get his shots in the flow rather than his behind the back dribbles and step back jumpers exclusively. I agree with the previous post that this would be if happens for 5 million a good signing.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Not sure if this was common knowledge or posted already, but it's being reported that J.R. Smith is likely to re-sign with the Knicks for 4 years at a little more than 5 million a year rather than test the free agent market and possibly cash-in for more with another team.

Here's the story I saw:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...th-will-re-sign-with-knicks-on-four-year-deal

Apparently, part of the agreement is likely to be for the Knicks to also sign J.R.'s brother Chris again. This part of the move is either shady or savvy, depending on what you think about J.R. I suppose.

My take on this deal, if this story is true, is that it avoids a smaller scale version of the Lin mess from last year and gives us at least a little stability going into next season. There is no way we'd get as good a player as the 'good' version of J.R. Smith for a little over 5 million a year. The continued variable is going to be how much of the 'good' J.R. Smith is going to show up once he's got an extended deal.
Then we need to re sign WOODSON and get full time psychiatric care for JR...JR sane is more dangerous as a player than INSANE.

LeFlume

All Star
Smart move by the Knicks. 6th man of the year as low as 5M a year...That's value for the buck right there...

skisloper

Starter
U guys are all Morons who think this is a good idea..........A player dictates who we sign and who we dont sign ????

Remember last year how Knicks got JR for cheap.....I do not remember a single team offering him a penny more or any contract,,,,,,,,JR was not offered more money last year....

Look How good Kenyon Martin was for us...NO TEAM would offer him even a 10 day contract....

NYers me being a lifer always seem to think we pulled the wool over someones eyes can got a great deal....

Sign me and sign my brother,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just what we need is a locker room of 2 smiths when we could not even handler JR....

The dude elbowed terry, Went put partying, Played instagram with Rihana and most of all Sucked in the Playoffs again....

WHATS THE BARGAIN ???????????????????????????????

DUMB DUMB DUMB

wait till he resigns and he gets to demand playing time for his brother....or when JR's minutes are reduced should make for a a warm fuzzy locker room...

WINNERS ARE WINNERS.......JR IS NOT A WINNER.

skisloper

Starter
The haters gonna hate this move after his playoff performance but it's the right move if JR is willing to sign with the Knicks rather than test the FA waters.

The Knicks could have gambled that he wouldn't have drawn any interest because of his playoff performance and because there a lot of good FA wings on the market this year that JR would have to pick up his player option but I think he had a good enough year to warrant giving him a new deal.

HE'SSUCH A GREAT TEAM PLAYER AND REALLY GAVE A 100% IN THE PLAYOFFS SO LETS REWARD HIM WITH A BIG DEAL....

And then lets talk about how IF eh changes this or Changes that he will be much better...

HE IS WHAT HE IS ......As every NBA player says the playoffs is where players play their best.....JR LOOKED CRISP DONT U THINK

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Please don't do it!

Grunwald, consider these guys instead: Korver, Allen, Martin (long shot I know), Mayo, Foye and Redick.
All of them would be better fits for this team, not only they can score, but they also have their minds in place.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Please don't do it!

Grunwald, consider these guys instead: Korver, Allen, Martin (long shot I know), Mayo, Foye and Redick.
All of them would be better fits for this team, not only they can score, but they also have their minds in place.
Agreed they all would be great additions at what price. BTW I saw Zack Randolf ...the multi million dollar man score 2 points yesterday as the SPURS made the Grizzlies look their J.V. JR had a great year...and stunk up the playoffs along with CHANDLER, Felton's FABULOUS game 6, NOVAK who burnt his ass on the bench....talking to CAMBY ,Q RICH, BALLONE, ....and J KIDD whose season ended before the PLAYOFFS BEGAN. I will take 27 year old JR who has learned alott about life this post season.

bigapple

Starter
Grrizzlies was Rusty after 4-1 Spurs was just after 4-2 with GSW

Spurs also won 2 games vs OKC but then lost 4 and lost .

It about chemistry in team and he is fastest guy after Shump in this team.

U guys are all Morons who think this is a good idea..........A player dictates who we sign and who we dont sign ????

Remember last year how Knicks got JR for cheap.....I do not remember a single team offering him a penny more or any contract,,,,,,,,JR was not offered more money last year....

Look How good Kenyon Martin was for us...NO TEAM would offer him even a 10 day contract....

NYers me being a lifer always seem to think we pulled the wool over someones eyes can got a great deal....

Sign me and sign my brother,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just what we need is a locker room of 2 smiths when we could not even handler JR....

The dude elbowed terry, Went put partying, Played instagram with Rihana and most of all Sucked in the Playoffs again....

WHATS THE BARGAIN ???????????????????????????????

DUMB DUMB DUMB

wait till he resigns and he gets to demand playing time for his brother....or when JR's minutes are reduced should make for a a warm fuzzy locker room...

WINNERS ARE WINNERS.......JR IS NOT A WINNER.

+1

The only stability this add, is in stabilizing the NYK's future as a 1st or 2nd round playoff exit. Dollars are precious, especially when you have a playoff team that's locked into big salaries already.

And that ain't even what's the worst about the deal: it just adds more cement to the NYK's fatal flaws of culture and chemistry. Okay, you wanna build a team around Melo, you need to do so in a very specific way if you want to be a real contender. This is another reason he ain't no Lebron, no Wade, no KD, etc.

Melo is a bit of a complicated superstar, can we all agree? The debacles of him playing alongside STAT (especially a healthy STAT) and Lin, being coached under D'antoni, his days in Denver, etc......Can we call a spade a ****in' spade?

Melo is still a superstar, and I do think you can win with Melo as your #1. I think he is a punk and don't like him personally, but I admit he can be a true #1, and even on a winner. When his game is on, and he is in the right situation, outside of Lebron there is no player in the NBA I'd rather have. But not when Woodson is your coach, not when you bend over for Melo's stylistic wishes, not when James Dolan gives him the keys to the franchise, and not when you surround him by guys like JR.

JR playing even for free would be detrimental to NYK chances of building a true contender.

It makes me wanna throw hooks to people's bodies when I think of NYK being bounded out of playoffs in 2nd after struggling to get past a Boston geriatric hospital team.

Also, this is actually why Melo deal all way back when was weak. It wasn't that we gave up so much (though Dolan got fleeced, if you compare to what BK gave up for Deron Williams). It was because it didn't put us on a clear path to a chip.

Melo > STAT. But STAT became an awkward role player, even when health, ever since Melo has stepped on same court as him. I don't blame Melo for this, bc it is what it is. It's Dolan's dumbassery #1, and the reality of who Melo and STAT are #2.

Now we're locked into paying max for a shell of STAT, and have locked in players around maxed out Melo who play to his flaws.

The NYK need a legit brilliant coach to reign in Melo, and maximize him the a team with him. I don't believe Melo will be a part of a true winner in the NBA unless he has a Jackson-like coach on board. Melo will never make a coach look like a genius, and better than he really is (mark of a true upper tier superstar, IMO).

NYK need max flexibility right now, and to do things to help Melo succeed and thrive, while correcting flaws. Re-signing JR does not do this. It is true that Melo doesn't have a ton of quality help on the NYK -- but this is partly his fault, and either way, it needs to be corrected.....not by moves like this. And i fear it won't happen as long as Woodson-Dolan-Melo dynamic is in play.

JR, another Woodson boy.

skisloper

Starter
Agreed they all would be great additions at what price. BTW I saw Zack Randolf ...the multi million dollar man score 2 points yesterday as the SPURS made the Grizzlies look their J.V. JR had a great year...and stunk up the playoffs along with CHANDLER, Felton's FABULOUS game 6, NOVAK who burnt his ass on the bench....talking to CAMBY ,Q RICH, BALLONE, ....and J KIDD whose season ended before the PLAYOFFS BEGAN. I will take 27 year old JR who has learned alott about life this post season.[/QUOTEL

Last year JR against the Heat was awful in the playoffs...then got into a sparring match with Fans through tweets.

so this year our 6th man award winner :

Elbows Terry for no reason and get tossed. Knicks then need to play without him and Lose.
Then JR comes back and plays terrible.....We find out he was out the night before partying...
Lesson is if you elbow a player and get suspended make sure your first game back that you are out the night before till 1 am plus. The JR plays and continues to shoot incredibly poor and does not drive to the hoop.
Lesson learned all season if JR drives to the hoop he is much more efficient but he decides to not take that route.
Then in the 4th quarter of an elimination game with 2 seconds left on the shot clock he loses his man and the Pacers get 2 easy lay-up.....

at 27 you are done learning if you are an NBA player......Yes at 23 you can say potential but at 27 no.....

Woodson will be JY's B_itch and soon JR;s brother will join that..........

I believe there is no team in the NBA who will offer JR 4 year 20 million dollar contract,,,,,,,Jamal Crawford makes 5 million is JR a bargain at 5 million.....Nate wont get 5 million I would rather have him...

OH YEAH....Our special bargain is we get JR's brother that no team wants to sign as a Knick and we get JR to continue to shoot 16 shots a game......

WTF do you not see

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Problem with JR he is not a #2 option in the NBA, for a championship, he's a #3 option at best. Jet was #2a behind Dirk. I look at Jet and JR as similar players. Microwave type players, energy players, but when it ain't going in, it's a waste of minutes.

Wargames

Starter
here the thing with JR and/or going after other shooters. JR played great (6th man of the year after all) and we can pay him 5 which is fair for the most part. The question after that is all the knicks have is 3 million in MMLE money and the ability to package 2 I believe vet min contracts to equal around $2 million for trade purposes.

The knicks aren't getting an upgrade over JR for 3 million. Better to use that to deal with another issue such as Center depth and possibly PG depth. Or maybe that 3 million dollars will have to go towards keeping both Copeland and/or Prigioni for a few more seasons.

skisloper

Starter
here the thing with JR and/or going after other shooters. JR played great (6th man of the year after all) and we can pay him 5 which is fair for the most part. The question after that is all the knicks have is 3 million in MMLE money and the ability to package 2 I believe vet min contracts to equal around $2 million for trade purposes.

The knicks aren't getting an upgrade over JR for 3 million. Better to use that to deal with another issue such as Center depth and possibly PG depth. Or maybe that 3 million dollars will have to go towards keeping both Copeland and/or Prigioni for a few more seasons.

so u want JR so he can shoot us out of the playoffs again....and 5 million is a good price for that.....
what does it matter what seed you are in the playoffs if you just end up losing........why settle for just Okay....

Look at Copeland and Prigioni and even Nate robinson.......Those guys together got payed 1.8 million between them.....there are guys out there....having JR for 5 million is a waste.....stop kidding yourself

Oh yeah and his brother

Wargames

Starter
so u want JR so he can shoot us out of the playoffs again....and 5 million is a good price for that.....
what does it matter what seed you are in the playoffs if you just end up losing........why settle for just Okay....

Look at Copeland and Prigioni and even Nate robinson.......Those guys together got payed 1.8 million between them.....there are guys out there....having JR for 5 million is a waste.....stop kidding yourself

Oh yeah and his brother

Bro I have come to terms with the 2015 plan.... I was talking about it when we traded everyone for Melo and I am repeating it now. It took 2 years to get starter quality players since that trade. Then the New CBA came out and the knicks became even more screwed because at least under the old plan we could of grabbed somebody else now in FA to possibly help. Now all the knicks should do (and ironically most likely can) is just do well in the playoffs and improve on their season record. The knicks are in cap hell again but atleast the roster is respectable this time around. A lot of this can be blamed on Walsh (really Dolan) but it is what it is.

Come 2015 the knicks will be about 30 million under the cap and can completely rebuild and if they spent the 2 seasons prior adding decent depth at a fair price to the roster all the better.

In 2 years when the Knicks will have the ability to go after a real 2nd option JR coming off the bench as a 3rd or 4th option for 5 million will be a great move. Imagine either Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge or Marc Gasol working in the paint (which is what the knicks really need!!!). But to maximize on that money the knicks need to secure the core to build upon that now. JR can be an asset.

The knicks need to focus on having good quality depth on the roster so that all they need to add to the equation is a max player and boom they can be real contenders. JR is part of that long term plan regardless if he isn't a true second option.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Please don't do it!

4 years more than 20 million....no thanks!

I agree with Ewing there are better option out there. No way JR gets 4 years 20 million anywhere else so why give him that. Look at the end of the reular season this would have been a great deal...then JR started acting like JR

Yes I agree with some of you that 4 years 20 million is great for a 6th man...yet leave it to our team to have the exception to the rule!

if JR signs that contract he becomes an untradeable player reminiscent of the Isiah era!

players I'd rather have at that same value in no order other than being more valued than JR

1.OJ Mayo

2. Martin (not that much a long shot)

3.Foye

4. Jared Jack (thats probably a really long shot)

5. Toney Allen (he and Shump would give dudes fits)

6. Lance Stephenson (probably played himself into a pretty nice deal)

7. Daniel Gibson

8. Nate Robinson

9. Corey Brewer