JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

skisloper

Starter
"Rihanna thought JR seemed to be on something not just drunk, he was slurring his words and acting real slow.. that was turn-off especially having dealt with those mood changes in a prior relationship" -

Lets sign JR right now.....

johnk812

Rookie
All that is wrong with the organization summed up in bringing back JR Smith.

Any player who spends his time clubbing and going on binges in the Midst the playoffs...To Quote Mike Singletary

"It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.”

You remember who he said that about right?
And how HE got fired, while Vernon Davis stayed.
And Vernon made big play after big play.
And went to the NFC Championship.
And then the Super Bowl.

Not saying JR is Vernon, but I personally don't doubt JR's desire to win. I can understand doubting his off the court decisions, but I really think this whole binging/clubbing this is being blown wayyyyy out of proportion.

$5 mil is a bargain in today's NBA. Remember, Novak costs $4 mil. JR is LIGHT YEARS better than Novak, might only cost $1 mil more.

Sign him. He doesn't have to be a savior, just a role player. Or 6th Man of the Year again.

metrocard

Legend
IMO if there was even a slight trace of suspicion he has a drug problem we wouldn't offer him a $20M/4 contract. No way Grunwald would sign an addict. And we're not talking about weed, which is something acceptable, cocaine is a serious problem.

edit: $1,500 of pot in a week? Dunno what are the market prices in the US, but over here you can get a joint that will knock you out for around $20.

I heard Amsterdam is heaven for the ganja. In NYC, weed is very poor quality and comes in small quantities for expensive prices. Ounces can go for 300 dollars or more. I know my cousin in Texas who can get an 1/2 ounce for 20 bucks.

skisloper

Starter
And then the Super Bowl.

Not saying JR is Vernon, but I personally don't doubt JR's desire to win. I can understand doubting his off the court decisions, but I really think this whole binging/clubbing this is being blown wayyyyy out of proportion.

$5 mil is a bargain in today's NBA. Remember, Novak costs $4 mil. JR is LIGHT YEARS better than Novak, might only cost $1 mil more.

Sign him. He doesn't have to be a savior, just a role player. Or 6th Man of the Year again.

Nate Robinson made 850,000 dollars.......compared to that 5 million for JR Smith seems like a robbery.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
And then the Super Bowl.

The quote is apt for JR.

He is all about him. Don't expect pro's to be boy scouts but come money time it's not to much too ask for JR to put the Crown Royal down and get ready to do what ever it takes to win.

clumsy

Rotation player
To be honest i think off the court stuff isn't that big a deal, athletes are still human, how many of you would pass a drug test tomorrow? I don't see a problem if he partied his ass off in the regular season once we locked the playoffs and off season.... However there were reports of him clubbing during the playoffs and Star and Bucwild reported he got jumped in a club one night during the Boston Series (he played horribly the next game). They need to put stipulations that he can't go out during important times of the season.

metrocard

Legend
I haven't smoke weed since Feb, I get drug tested every 4 months for boxing so...if you don't care how serious an athlete is to his profession then I have to question you.

Drugs and sports don't mix together. Marijuana isn't really a drug since it does have it benefits, but if you're spending over a thousand bucks a week on weed, then you're spending too much time on the drug and not enough time on your game.

Very little weed is okay, for like once or twice a month. It's not something you need, especially if you're trying to be the best at your craft.

JR Smith has nothing in him that shows he wants to be a champion, the best at his position or maximized his potential.

Smith is a failure and a bad professional.

clumsy

Rotation player
I guess you can say that but at the same time you have some people that are so beastly like Lawrence Taylor or Hector Camacho where they can be all hopped up on coke and still be elite.

My bottom line is i don't really care as much about his off the court transgressions as opposed to the fact i just don't really like his game and what he brings to the table.

metrocard

Legend
Camacho and Taylor were freaks of nature, in respect to them they were also know for training often...but even besides that, they could of been better than they were if they stayed away from the night life, the women and the substances. Especially Camacho who threw away his career and got killed in the streets. both HOFers.

Smith is a guy who hasn't found security within himself. He should be a slasher, but he plays like Jamal Crawford. Smith is naturally fast and strong, I believe his focuses are centered on the team. It produces a cancerous attitude and Knicks resigning him will show that his behavior is rewarded.

What if he gets Melo on cocaine and weed? What would happen then?

skisloper

Starter
To be honest i think off the court stuff isn't that big a deal, athletes are still human, how many of you would pass a drug test tomorrow? I don't see a problem if he partied his ass off in the regular season once we locked the playoffs and off season.... However there were reports of him clubbing during the playoffs and Star and Bucwild reported he got jumped in a club one night during the Boston Series (he played horribly the next game). They need to put stipulations that he can't go out during important times of the season.[/QUOTE

so in JR's contract it should read " dont do any coke or smoke weed unless we have a locked seed in the playoffs. During playoff time do not do lines or smoke weed. Please do not go out at night drinking and stay out plate partying before a game. Please dont throw an elbow and get suspended and please dont play with social networking and put yourself out there "

one would hope a player would lock into the playoffs......

clumsy

Rotation player
LOL that would be a hilarious contract. I think the Knicks should have a dude following his movements during the playoffs.

Personally I believe most athletes are humans and you'll have the same proportion as the human population who drink smoke etc and i believe it is their right to do whatever they want. I'm sure Melo has done all the drugs in the world. I'd say a good 50% of hot girls i see in NYC all like to party if you know what i mean. I also don't think you can get adults into other drugs, I'd be more worried about his influence to the younger players in their early 20's. I'm friends with plenty of people who do coke semi-regulary to regularly but i've personally never touched the stuff, it's just not my thing.

tiger0330

Legend
JR is not a lock to re-sign with the Knicks, Grunny showed more enthusiasm for keeping JKidd than JR, hard to believe but true.

Here's Alan Hahn's take on the Knicks options.

As Glen Grunwald and the #Knicks consider JR Smith's future, we consider the alternatives. More:
In these situations, especially with the restrictions of a salary cap system, you must sete a price for the player. In this case, we'll put Smith at the market value for a Sixth Man of the Year winner based on past winners and set the cost at $5 million per year.

His positives are scoring (18 ppg), of course, along with an understated ability to be a capable defender. His negatives are inconsistency in both effort and focus, which almost balance the scale.

So is he worth the cost and committment (likely a 4-year deal)?

That all depends on the alternatives. Can you replace him? If so, with whom?

With no cap room to spend and only a taxpayer's mid-level exception ($3 million) to offer free agents, the choices are limited. But there are choices to consider if you decide to let Smith walk:

1. Replace him in the draft: The Knicks have the 24th overall pick ($963,600 in 2013-14). A few wing prospects include Tim Hardaway Jr., Glen Rice and Allen Crabbe. None are as good as Smith now, of course, but it would certainly save a lot of money.

2. Replace him in free agency: Will JJ Redick or Kyle Korver get $5M-$6M per year deals again or will their middle class status feel the hit under the new CBA rules? What about Mo Williams at this stage of his career? you can't ignore here, of course, is that you can re-sign Smith AND still use the MLE, which means filling two spots instead of one.

3. Trade for a shooting guard. There's not much to consider, however. This route also means you have to give up a player or two, which negatively impacts your roster (unless it's an all-star caliber player, of course). Keep in mind, the Knicks CAN NOT execute a sign-and-trade if they are $4M over the luxury tax threshold. Right now they estimate to be right at it, but we won't know for sure until the NBA releases the salary cap numbers for 2013-14.

4. Replace him internally: Iman Shumpert's emergence late in the season suggests he's back on the rise. The Knicks need to get more out of Steve Novak ($3.8M next season). Sometimes scoring doesn't have to come from one guy, but multiple players. Still, it is valuable to have at least one player you can rely on to give you double-figures off the bench each night. Chris Copeland has proven he can do that. However, he is an unrestricted free agent and the Knicks can only re-sign him with a veteran's minimum or their MLE.

With these four alternatives to re-signing Smith to consider, which, if any, makes the most sense to you?

skisloper

Starter
LOL that would be a hilarious contract. I think the Knicks should have a dude following his movements during the playoffs.

Personally I believe most athletes are humans and you'll have the same proportion as the human population who drink smoke etc and i believe it is their right to do whatever they want. I'm sure Melo has done all the drugs in the world. I'd say a good 50% of hot girls i see in NYC all like to party if you know what i mean. I also don't think you can get adults into other drugs, I'd be more worried about his influence to the younger players in their early 20's. I'm friends with plenty of people who do coke semi-regulary to regularly but i've personally never touched the stuff, it's just not my thing.

I play sports and I party........Make no mistake if its the playoffs I am sure as hell do everything to be at the top of my game.....JR did the opposite..

As for that guy to follow him around...his name is CHRIS SMITH his younger brother who the Knicks would sign

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
obama_4_more_years_2012_pinback_button-r2f099a53920c4cfc8a0cdd46c8c916be_x7j1a_8byvr_512.jpg

paris401

Starter
U guys are all Morons who think this is a good idea..........WINNERS ARE WINNERS.......JR IS NOT A WINNER.

nice way to start your 6th post.. 'are we morons'...

however I do agree with ya... I said when they signed him, u ain't winning a championship with him... he's a chucker, falls asleep on "D"... he is not a 'winner'...

DrB

Benchwarmer
JR is a great athelete and a talented shooter as but as a doctor I wonder if he has all his marbles or at 27 is just immature. Babe Ruth could drink and hit home runs...so could Mantle and Martin play hung over. Obviously JR 's escape to the brew was psychic pain for game 4 against the Celtics and all of it's reprecussions. For JR to become a great player he must make players around him better and must get his shots in the flow rather than his behind the back dribbles and step back jumpers exclusively. I agree with the previous post that this would be if happens for 5 million a good signing.
I never replied to my own post before but yesterday I read that JR had water on his knee during the playoffs which hampered his shot as to elevation on his jumper and limited his ability to get to the hole and finish. I noticed JR stopped driving for points in the paint and I just thought Indiana had stopped him.

skisloper

Starter
I never replied to my own post before but yesterday I read that JR had water on his knee during the playoffs which hampered his shot as to elevation on his jumper and limited his ability to get to the hole and finish. I noticed JR stopped driving for points in the paint and I just thought Indiana had stopped him.

Maybe when he had the "Flu" and "water on the knee" he should have sat out or better yet with those 2 huge negatives maybe woodson should have not played him for 36 minutes.....either way something is not being told....

I mean if JR was really injured and could not drive and Woody knew this then why was he playing 36 minutes and got embarrassed on the defensive end by Lance in the 4th quarter..........

Why is always something with JR and NY fans always say " well IF Jr changes this or IF a coach can control him " not happenning he is a grown man.........

I do think JR can play ball but he does not fit on this Knicks team,,,,,,,,,,,,,and JR playing only 20 minutes on another team will make him disgruntled and you will see more problems then you do....

Remember the Knicks and COACH WOODSON are an ideal situation for JR.....He can completly suck < get suspended, party at night , have the flu and water on the knee, shoots under 30% and he still plays for 36 minutes a game..........UNBELIEVABLE...THATS WHY JR AINT GOING ANYWHERE IS THE KNICKS DO OFFER HIM 4 YEARS AND 20 MILLION.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
Remember the flu-like symptoms he had? I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but you know what? He was just hung over.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
Maybe when he had the "Flu" and "water on the knee" he should have sat out or better yet with those 2 huge negatives maybe woodson should have not played him for 36 minutes.....either way something is not being told....

I mean if JR was really injured and could not drive and Woody knew this then why was he playing 36 minutes and got embarrassed on the defensive end by Lance in the 4th quarter..........

Why is always something with JR and NY fans always say " well IF Jr changes this or IF a coach can control him " not happenning he is a grown man.........

I do think JR can play ball but he does not fit on this Knicks team,,,,,,,,,,,,,and JR playing only 20 minutes on another team will make him disgruntled and you will see more problems then you do....

Remember the Knicks and COACH WOODSON are an ideal situation for JR.....He can completly suck < get suspended, party at night , have the flu and water on the knee, shoots under 30% and he still plays for 36 minutes a game..........UNBELIEVABLE...THATS WHY JR AINT GOING ANYWHERE IS THE KNICKS DO OFFER HIM 4 YEARS AND 20 MILLION.
He was just hung over lol. Flu my ass. He went into a play off game hungover. Why reward someone for screwing us over? The Knicks better not resign him. Grunwald has to be smarter than that. You can call JR should've, would've, could've, and never will be. He needs to see Lenny Cooke's documentary.