JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

NewYork

Benchwarmer
I'd rather Grunwald get OJ Mayo on our team than JR Smith. JR Smith isn't a bad guy. He probably is a kind person but but his inconsistency and lack of focus to the game is the kind of dynamic that'll destroy team chemistry. As talented as JR is individually, his character will just destroy the morale of the team.

Seba

Benchwarmer
HE'SSUCH A GREAT TEAM PLAYER AND REALLY GAVE A 100% IN THE PLAYOFFS SO LETS REWARD HIM WITH A BIG DEAL....

And then lets talk about how IF eh changes this or Changes that he will be much better...

HE IS WHAT HE IS ......As every NBA player says the playoffs is where players play their best.....JR LOOKED CRISP DONT U THINK

If you think this is a "big deal", then you clearly don't know a lot about NBA market.
A mid level-ish deal for a 6MOY and second scorer of this team is a steal in any language. The guy even played for pretty much the vets minimum this year.

I am disgusted about his playoff performance just like any of you, but this is going to be a trade asset at worst. From a basketball point of view, rest assured that we need this guy (at a good level) to get to the finals.

And most importantly, not signing him wouldn't mean getting anything back. Nothing. We're over the lux-tax and will be until Melo, Stat and TC finish their contracts. With that in mind, any argument about so called better players for less money is not real.

Seba

Benchwarmer
No shot that JR signs at 4 yrs/ 20 mil without testing free agency. Zero. Unless this guy reallyyyyy ants to be a Knick, which wouldn't really surprise me. Still, we need to keep JR somehow. He's a vital part of the Knicks bench. I'm praying Kidd and Camby both retire so we can free up some cap.

For the record, I would use the money for Jarrett Jack over JR, but I don't think Jack would even entertain such a low offer after the year he just had.

Retired palyers aren't substracted from cap, I'm afraid.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
If you think this is a "big deal", then you clearly don't know a lot about NBA market.
A mid level-ish deal for a 6MOY and second scorer of this team is a steal in any language. The guy even played for pretty much the vets minimum this year.

I am disgusted about his playoff performance just like any of you, but this is going to be a trade asset at worst. From a basketball point of view, rest assured that we need this guy (at a good level) to get to the finals.

And most importantly, not signing him wouldn't mean getting anything back. Nothing. We're over the lux-tax and will be until Melo, Stat and TC finish their contracts. With that in mind, any argument about so called better players for less money is not real.
Having JR as a trade asset is definitely a good thing. However, in my opinion not having him will allow this teams true chemistry to build. You don't just add up talent+ talent + talent. What's more important is the character of the players and how cohesive the team will be together. JR is just not the kind of guy you want to build a championship team around. He's not going to change. He showed it this playoffs. When it mattered the most to everyone, all the fans, management, and team members (even as they are playing hard injured), he went out clubbing and got hung over. You don't want someone like that on you're team. All it takes is one bad apple and the whole barrel becomes rotten. Its that weakest link theory, you're as strong as you're weakest link. You need every single person on the team to want a championship, every single one.

Seba

Benchwarmer
Now you are making no sense.....Why in the world would you want JR as part of our longterm plan.
Lets now kid ourselves we will not be an NBA Champion unless we have a major revamping and unless a miracle happens we will be with the mostly the same team as last year.............

Do I think having JR may result in more season wins YES. Do I think having JR will result in more playoff losses YES. The regular season is just that.....some nights players on and some off.....Playoffs is every player at their best ( except ours )

We should use the 20 million over 4 years to start and build depth for 2015. We will still be good the next 2 years but in order to be a champion you need to have a game plan now......I do not think any NBA executive looking for a long term plan would include JR in that conversation....

As a Die-Hard knick fan are you not at all disgusted with JR' playoff record.
We win in 4 or 5 if he does not elbow Terry. ( game 5 Melo has his shoulder hurt )
Win game 5 if JR is not out the night before.
The dude is not a team player.......even last year he commented if Lin got a big contract he would not be ok with that......I mean come on...whats it his business......

JR is a band aid on a bad team that can score......Look at the Spurs, Heat, Bulls, Pacers ..........JR would not fit on any of those teams and he is the 6th man award winner.....he was able to do what he did as a knicks because thats the way MELO plays.....do you really want 2 players shooting over 50% of our shots.......

We need players that will compliment Melo's game since this is Melo's team......if the goal is a 2015 revamp and Melo is part of it then JR is the last player you would want ......Lets go into 2015

If you honestly think that this ball club would be better without JR Smith and getting absolutely nothing in return, then I see your point, but I think that notion is laughable.

Seba

Benchwarmer
We can't do sing and trades. Would have to wait until Jan 15th (or something like that) to trade him.

Lercher:
Hm, sign and trade Smith for a solid role player and a 1st round pick to eventually draft Schroeder?

Seba

Benchwarmer
Having JR as a trade asset is definitely a good thing. However, in my opinion not having him will allow this teams true chemistry to build. You don't just add up talent+ talent + talent. What's more important is the character of the players and how cohesive the team will be together. JR is just not the kind of guy you want to build a championship team around. He's not going to change. He showed it this playoffs. When it mattered the most to everyone, all the fans, management, and team members (even as they are playing hard injured), he went out clubbing and got hung over. You don't want someone like that on you're team. All it takes is one bad apple and the whole barrel becomes rotten. Its that weakest link theory, you're as strong as you're weakest link. You need every single person on the team to want a championship, every single one.

That is a very valid point of view. However, I would take the rumors with a pinch of salt.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
That is a very valid point of view. However, I would take the rumors with a pinch of salt.
When the talks of JR was sick and resting at the hotel room and skipping practice were going around, I was one of the people that gave him the benefit of the doubt when everyone else was stating the obvious and saying he was out drinking. Then guess what? Lol. A picture of him comes out on the web and he looks absolutely tore da **** up. Lmao. I mean he looks blasted. This is during the play offs when you have Shump(knee), Tyson (neck), Felton(ankle), Melo (shoulder), Stat (knees) all giving their 100% while injured.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
If we can keep at $5M a year for four years; we do it. If we do not keep him, we get nothing and have only our mid-level exception and minimums to fill out the roster. If we sign him, we still have the same to spend. I would not be surprised if a team outbids us. Didn't Landry Fields get about $5M a year from Toronto? JR still has time to grow up.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
If we can keep at $5M a year for four years; we do it. If we do not keep him, we get nothing and have only our mid-level exception and minimums to fill out the roster. If we sign him, we still have the same to spend. I would not be surprised if a team outbids us. Didn't Landry Fields get about $5M a year from Toronto? JR still has time to grow up.
If JR somehow wakes up with a change of heart and a desire to set priorities straight, the deal is definitely a steal but it just doesn't seem likely that he will. I would much rather get someone who is consistent and willing to contribute wholeheartedly. Attitudes are infectious to the whole team. If one person feels like he doesn't need to give much to the team on some nights it affects the whole team whether or not people speak up about it. WHy should JR get all those shot opportunities with that kind of an attitude while other players who are more dedicated don't get that kind of leniency he does. Other players have to worry about their play time while JR doesn't when he clearly is nonchalant about the team. That kind of thing causes other players to not put any effort on rebounding and defense. I mean why should they when someone who doesn't deserve a reward reaps all the benefits of other player's hard work? The shots he takes should be distributed to the other players on the line up. The offense needs to be less predictable any way.

Peejay88

Rookie
WHy should JR get all those shot opportunities with that kind of an attitude while other players who are more dedicated don't get that kind of leniency he does.

Because when he shows up with the right attitude his talent is limitless and he's a game changer. Unfortunately the Guys attitude stinks. I'm conflicted when it comes to J.R. His inconsistency and attitude are infuriating. Someone mentioned it in another thread but I'd sooner have Nate Robinson as our spark plug off the bench. At least he's all heart and seems to have built some consistency in Chicago

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If we could get OJ Mayo on our team he'd be an infinitely better player than JR. He had a really great year last year. Excellent shooter who played really well when he was the first option. He sort of fell off the earth after the Mavs had effectively mailed it in, but he's a good player who can really succeed with a good coach who actually has some trust and uses him well. Plus he doesn't have the off-the-court issues that JR has.

That being said I think Mayo would be stupid to sign with us.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I'd rather Grunwald get OJ Mayo on our team than JR Smith. JR Smith isn't a bad guy. He probably is a kind person but but his inconsistency and lack of focus to the game is the kind of dynamic that'll destroy team chemistry. As talented as JR is individually, his character will just destroy the morale of the team.

Right now due to lack of assets, you need to resign Smith if anything to trade him with an expiring for a couple live bodies. I think OJ is just as inconsistent as JR, maybe the combination of the 2, nah. We need bigs. I think the 2 is solid with Iman and JR. Melo at the 3 with Novak, the 4, Amare, KMart. Would love to add a combo center/PF behind Chandler as well.

skisloper

Starter
If you honestly think that this ball club would be better without JR Smith and getting absolutely nothing in return, then I see your point, but I think that notion is laughable.

I think what laughabe is that you want to sign a player who was a no-show for the playoffs based on a multiple number of reasons i do not need to explain....

So you ar correct i do NOT think we will be a better regular season team without JR.
I do think we will be a better playoff team without JR.

With or without JR the chances of the Knicks getting by the Bulls, Heat or Pacers is not good.

I think Woodson bows down to JR. His 36 minutes of playing time despite what his game is like is ludicrous.
Now we can say thats on Woodson but if playing time goes down we will have a disgruntled JR who be a complete ass as a teammate....I mean look how crappy of a teamate he was in the playoffs with his committment.

I think its best the Knicks start creating some team play and start finding pieces that will work for Melo following next season......Give Copeland JR's minutes......Give Stat JR's minutes.......We have draft picks and Vet min....find guys that will give their heart and soul.....lets get team ball....JR is not that....

I 100% agree JR is as athlectic as they come but what I do not buy into is his selfish play on and off the court....I cannot watch another season of 36 minutes for JR whether his is 16 for 16 or 2 for 16 ..............its wrong and for sure not good for team morale...

so in the longrun I think Knicks are a better playoff team without JR

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I think what laughabe is that you want to sign a player who was a no-show for the playoffs based on a multiple number of reasons i do not need to explain....

So you ar correct i do NOT think we will be a better regular season team without JR.
I do think we will be a better playoff team without JR.

With or without JR the chances of the Knicks getting by the Bulls, Heat or Pacers is not good.

I think Woodson bows down to JR. His 36 minutes of playing time despite what his game is like is ludicrous.
Now we can say thats on Woodson but if playing time goes down we will have a disgruntled JR who be a complete ass as a teammate....I mean look how crappy of a teamate he was in the playoffs with his committment.

I think its best the Knicks start creating some team play and start finding pieces that will work for Melo following next season......Give Copeland JR's minutes......Give Stat JR's minutes.......We have draft picks and Vet min....find guys that will give their heart and soul.....lets get team ball....JR is not that....

I 100% agree JR is as athlectic as they come but what I do not buy into is his selfish play on and off the court....I cannot watch another season of 36 minutes for JR whether his is 16 for 16 or 2 for 16 ..............its wrong and for sure not good for team morale...

so in the longrun I think Knicks are a better playoff team without JR

Interesting, now throw in this nugget, Iman starts for 36 at the 2 guard spot. What's left for JR. My preference is to see Melo play full time at the SF spot, let him grind on the smaller SFs in the paint. Resign- Copeland, KMart hope Amare is back for the full season.

skisloper

Starter
Interesting, now throw in this nugget, Iman starts for 36 at the 2 guard spot. What's left for JR. My preference is to see Melo play full time at the SF spot, let him grind on the smaller SFs in the paint. Resign- Copeland, KMart hope Amare is back for the full season.

Agreed..... Woodson has created the most idealistic situation possible for JR and look how JR repays that by being an ass during playoff time........Maybe the guy cant help himself and maybe one day he will grow out of it but we need to develop players and JR will never enhance that...........

I would not waste 36 minutes a game on JR. Please nobody suggest he play less because if he does he will be a disgruntled player on the team and that will just make things worse....

For those who say we are better with him..please look at the Celtics and Pacers series and tell me how we were better ........

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I don't get how people want to lose the 6th man of the year... I mean losing him is contingent on shump taking a MAJOR step next season and maybe signing nate to replace him. You take jr off our roster we don't win 50 games this year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
20262392.jpg

skisloper

Starter
I don't get how people want to lose the 6th man of the year... I mean losing him is contingent on shump taking a MAJOR step next season and maybe signing nate to replace him. You take jr off our roster we don't win 50 games this year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

winning 50 games and losing in the playoffs is not my aspiration..........
Hidden Gems ........Look at Copeland, Nate , Blair..........players are out there....
JR is a waste of time for this organization....we have Melo taking 28 shots we do not need JR doing the same...
it makes us very predictable and easy to defend.....

why in the world would u want a team where 2 players take over 50% of the shots....unless its durant and westbrook