It has been reported that Jason Kidd has decided to retire from the NBA

nyk_nyk

All Star
He had nothing left. It's a definite relief to the cap even though his 3 mil won't really make a significant difference. It does open up a much needed roster spot for a younger PG.

tiger0330

Legend
It's official JKidd is done. Respect to him for a great career and for coming to grips that he had nothing left.

As far as impact on our cap that will depend on his buyout with the Knicks. He could forgo his entire contract or demand a hefty buyout.

I thought it would be crazy that a guy would walk away from 6M remaining on his contract but if the Knicks make him an asst coach maybe he does walk away from the 6M we owe him.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
With the exception of lowering luxury tax payments for Dolan, Kidd's retirement is not likely to help the Knicks no matter how much of his future $6M plus in salary over two years is eliminated. The cap number for each year is a function of the prior year's revenue. Apparently the cap for 2013/2014 will be approximately $58.5M which is less than anticipated. With or without Kidd's contract, we are well over the projected cap. I believe the total for Melo, Amare' and Chandler together will eat up close to the total projected cap.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The co-rookies of the year announcing their retirement in a span of less than two days.

Great job, Kidd. Incredible player.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
What an awesome career for Jason Kidd. I can't believe 19 years have passed already this quick. I remember when JKidd came into the league that one season with Grant Hill and Glenn Robinson. I used to think they'd all make it great in the NBA. Remember the Grant Hill Sprite commercials? Who would've thought Jason Kidd would've left this much damage in the NBA back then. Respect to an awesome career Jason. Hope you get whatever position you're looking for on the other end of the spectrum of NBA professions.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kidd is our best coach on the staff .. we cant afford to let him retire, until Kidd could get Amare & Melo to win 5 straight games together...

petescud

Starter
I just heard....wow, thanks Jason for a awesome short run. Wish we had him more years when he was younger. One of the smartest players ever

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
One of my favorite players of all time. I'm glad I got to see you in a Knicks jersey. Thanks for the 19 year show.

smokes

Huge Member
It's a shame, he gave us so much during the regular season. Due to poor coaching and injuries everything he had left in the tank was sapped from him and by the time the playoffs arrived he was dead in the water, a shell of his former self.

He coulda had another good year imo. Still, it's a blessing to have that cap and roster spot.

Now just waiting for Camby to retire.

LeFlume

All Star
I hated that prick when he was in New Jersey, loved him as a Knick, now **** off you effing wife-beating A-hole. :afro:

metrocard

Legend
He had nothing left. It's a definite relief to the cap even though his 3 mil won't really make a significant difference. It does open up a much needed roster spot for a younger PG.

Man, you got zero respect for a HOF PG.

No thanks for what Kidd brought to the Knicks.
Everyone seem to forgot how well Kidd played before his slump.
Fake fans you are.

Shame on anyone who rejoices over Kidd's retirement...he was a leader amongst this team and a wizard on the court defensively....let's hope he can land a coaching spot with the Knicks, his mind is still the amongst the best with Duncan and Bryant and James...it's obvious Kidd's body can't take anymore NBA action.

Man, we got some ****ty fans in here these days.

metrocard

Legend
It's a shame, he gave us so much during the regular season. Due to poor coaching and injuries everything he had left in the tank was sapped from him and by the time the playoffs arrived he was dead in the water, a shell of his former self.

He coulda had another good year imo. Still, it's a blessing to have that cap and roster spot.

Now just waiting for Camby to retire.

One of the few great fans in here, a man who watched Kidd all season long and didn't forget how well he played in the beginning.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Man, you got zero respect for a HOF PG.

No thanks for what Kidd brought to the Knicks.
Everyone seem to forgot how well Kidd played before his slump.
Fake fans you are.

Shame on anyone who rejoices over Kidd's retirement...he was a leader amongst this team and a wizard on the court defensively....let's hope he can land a coaching spot with the Knicks, his mind is still the amongst the best with Duncan and Bryant and James...it's obvious Kidd's body can't take anymore NBA action.

Man, we got some ****ty fans in here these days.

I'm a KNICKS fan. Were you blind or something? Kidd was done halfway through the season. He's done some great things in the league but unfortunately he's 40 and won't help our cause to winning a championship. That spot should go to a younger player with upside. Just because someone is a future HOF player doesn't mean his career doesn't have an ending.

And WTH am I thanking? Can Kidd see my KOL posts? Let's be real, he had some good moments here but overall he was average at best. He was inconsistent and didn't create for guys like you thought he would coming into the season. His game was mostly playing the passing lanes and spot up shooting (which he eventually lost). Also, I didn't see a leader on the court. If so, JR and Melo would have toned down their iso-heavy spurts. Praise him all you want for what he's done in the past, which is well deserved, but don't act like he was some saving grace for the team. I believe Pablo actually contributed more throughout the season.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm a KNICKS fan. Were you blind or something? Kidd was done halfway through the season. He's done some great things in the league but unfortunately he's 40 and won't help our cause to winning a championship. That spot should go to a younger player with upside. Just because someone is a future HOF player doesn't mean his career doesn't have an ending.

And WTH am I thanking? Can Kidd see my KOL posts? Let's be real, he had some good moments here but overall he was average at best. He was inconsistent and didn't create for guys like you thought he would coming into the season. His game was mostly playing the passing lanes and spot up shooting (which he eventually lost). Also, I didn't see a leader on the court. If so, JR and Melo would have toned down their iso-heavy spurts. Praise him all you want for what he's done in the past, which is well deserved, but don't act like he was some saving grace for the team. I believe Pablo actually contributed more throughout the season.
I was really disappointed about his playoff performance, like the regular season he had some good moments but he was hardly the difference maker that he was brought in to be.

What was the thinking when we got Kidd, Camby, KT and Sheed. Play them sparingly in the regular season and have them fresh when the games really matter. Don't know what Grunny is going to do this off-season but I've had it with bringing in the Bibby's, Kidd's, Sheed, Camby etc. and please don't sign them for longer than 2 year deals with team options in the last year.

smokes

Huge Member
I think you guys honestly forgot the first half of the season. Good moments? Kidd was one of the major components of our start to the year. The difference between early season Knicks (consistent fluid ball movement, wide open 3 pointers, everyone scoring efficiently) vs late season Knicks (no ball movement, ISO ball, 0 assists, poor 3 pt shooting) was like night and day.

The main factor was that Kidd had been burned out from having to play 30 min+ during Felton's absence. Had Woody put Pablo into the rotation earlier, we may have seen a completely different end to the season/playoffs.

Every basketball "expert" was talking about Kidd playing 30 minutes being way too much for him and were proved correct. Strange that Woodson so vehemently protected the bodies of Camby, KT and Sheed all year but let Kidd sacrifice his health. Knicks should have got any half-competent PG on a 10 day rather than ruin Kidd like that.