Garcia, Delfino, and Brooks got waived by the Rockets...free agents.

metrocard

Legend
Do you see these guys being a better fit than re-signing JR?

They seem like the perfect reserve men.

All in their prime.

tiger0330

Legend
Hard to see how we sign anyone with only the taxpayer MLE available to re-sign Cope, Prigs, KMart and any other FA's. No coincidence the Knicks have been very busy working out a ton of players for the draft, new faces next year are going to come from the draft and not FA.

metrocard

Legend
I don't see Cope, Prigs, or KMart asking for a lot of cash. Same goes for Brooks and Garcia.

Delfino, definately since he's a 6th man type player.

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks have made qualifying offers of 988K to both Prigs and Cope. Let's say they both don't get other offers and they accept the Knicks qualifying offers, that's nearly 2M we use from the taxpayer MLE to sign them as FA's leaving us with a little more than 1M to sign someone else. That's not a lot of money to sign any of those 3 guys unless they sign with the Knicks for the vet's min.

I was also wondering whether Delfino of Cisco had the better career and the two are like two peas in a pod. Both 8ppg career avg, 36% on their 3s and Cisco having a slightly higher 43% FG% to Delfino's 40%. I was impressed with how well Cisco defended KD in the playoffs so I might give him the edge defensively vs. Carlos.

metrocard

Legend
That's true about Cisco's defense. He comes to play every night and can play good man defense. I also heard he's one of the better locker room guys in the NBA over the last 8 seasons. Would be a nice fit on our team for a cheap price.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
With Cope & Prigioni being RFA...

Cope is the one to worry about -- Another team could offer him more than we can match...

KMart -- what was his pay last year? Figure he will command at least $3 Million which would be MLE, so doubt he will be back... He won't take Vet Min. He has too much to offer...

Prigioni -- I believe his pay this upcoming year is under $1 M closer to $900 K which is affordable...

With Kidd retiring, signing Brooks would be ideal, while leaving our MLE for another shooter... Delfino could be out of our range, but maybe we can make a play for Terrance Williams, or Alan Anderson...

Other big man, that Knicks could target for min. $$$ PF Trey Thompkins, F/C Jeremy Tyler, C Jerome Jordan -- but trying to figure a way to bring KMart should be the task...

Rob Low

Rotation player
I've wanted Delfino since last year. He would be perfect on this team especially if we re-sign Prigs. I would also love to have Garcia. Not too high on Brooks though, It think we could do better than him.

tiger0330

Legend
After watching Battier knock down all those 3s in game 7 we could use Garcia or Delfino in the sharpshooter role, Garcia was making 6M last year and Delfino was making 3M so it will be a long shot in signing them but if they don't get other more lucrative offers maybe we can sign them to the vet min like we did with Ronnie Brewer. Here's an interesting article on both guys.

Grading Francisco Garcia

By Forrest Walker | May 24, 2013 at 9:30 pm
He might have started his Rockets season as an afterthought in a trade, but Francisco Garcia ended the season as something of a hero. His prudent shooting and capable defense were surprise boons to a team struggling to stay in the playoffs. His experience and composure proved to be invaluable in the postseason most never expected Houston to earn. He may not even be on the roster next season, but Garcia proved his value to the Rockets.
Discussion of Garcia must include discussion of Carlos Delfino, the other veteran Rockets swingman on the bench. When Garcia was acquired from the Sacramento Kings in a shocker of a trade, rookie forward Thomas Robinson was the focus of discussion. Carlos Delfino, however, felt the effects down the line, as Francisco Garcia eventually established himself as a viable alternative at the wing. Delfino made his living from the three point arc, in line with the Rockets’ game plan. Garcia, as a near carbon-copy of Delfino’s offensive game, simply gave the Rockets another level of depth from deep.
While in Houston, Francisco Garcia shot 7.8 of his 10.7 field goal attempts per 36 minutes from three point land, good for a total of 12.5 points. His 41.4% shooting overall wasn’t much to sing about, but his 37.5% from deep is plenty acceptable. His peripherals were solid if not flashy per 36 minutes: 2.6 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.3 turnovers and 1.5 steals. If this all sounds exactly like like Delfino’s numbers, that’s because they are. The only notable difference is that Delfino shot a little more to make 15 points per 36 minutes and rebounded at the higher rate of 4.3 per 36 minutes. It’s remarkable how much these players overlapped in skill.
The first of two major differences, then, comes on the opposite side of the ball. Garcia surprised everyone with his remarkably adept defense of Kevin Durant in the playoffs, giving head coach Kevin McHale opportunity to rest Chandler Parsons and move him around on defense. While not traditionally known for his defense while in Sacramento, Garcia excelled in a system with Omer Asik in the paint. Garcia showed why coaches love veterans; he stayed in his role and was willing to play the defense his coach wanted. Why, then, might his days in Houston be done?

The second difference is the kicker. Francisco Garcia’s $6.1 million this season and $6.4 million team option next season mean that he’s unlikely to wear red next season. It’s possible that he might negotiate a smaller contract with Houston, but the Rockets have already expressed reluctance to pick up his option. General manager Daryl Morey not only prizes long-term flexibility, but needs to clear room to chase free agents in the short term.
What does this all mean, then? As an NBA player, Garcia is adequate. He may be making an above-league-average six million per year on his current contract, but that money had no effect on Houston’s short or long term cap situation. Garcia was expected to do little more than contribute a few bench minutes and possibly add some veteran leadership. Instead, the Rockets found a player who defended one of the best scorers in the league, and is reportedly an invaluable locker room presence. He may not have been a big part of the Rockets, but he’s a part that would fit well going forward.
Grade: C+

Wargames

Starter
The Knicks have made qualifying offers of 988K to both Prigs and Cope. Let's say they both don't get other offers and they accept the Knicks qualifying offers, that's nearly 2M we use from the taxpayer MLE to sign them as FA's leaving us with a little more than 1M to sign someone else. That's not a lot of money to sign any of those 3 guys unless they sign with the Knicks for the vet's min.

I was also wondering whether Delfino of Cisco had the better career and the two are like two peas in a pod. Both 8ppg career avg, 36% on their 3s and Cisco having a slightly higher 43% FG% to Delfino's 40%. I was impressed with how well Cisco defended KD in the playoffs so I might give him the edge defensively vs. Carlos.

thats not how it works qualifying offers dont count againt the tax payer MLE. anything above that will though. Also if we give more than the minimum to K-Mart its that too will cut into our taxpayer MLE. Anyhow keep in mind them being waived if we have it I hope we offer it to delfino he is a legit 2 way roleplayer and he was signed basically to a taxpayer MLE deal in Houston so it would be an improvement to the deal he had last year. Cisco is my next choice on whom to offer it too though he made more.

skisloper

Starter
With Cope & Prigioni being RFA...

Cope is the one to worry about -- Another team could offer him more than we can match...

KMart -- what was his pay last year? Figure he will command at least $3 Million which would be MLE, so doubt he will be back... He won't take Vet Min. He has too much to offer...

Prigioni -- I believe his pay this upcoming year is under $1 M closer to $900 K which is affordable...

With Kidd retiring, signing Brooks would be ideal, while leaving our MLE for another shooter... Delfino could be out of our range, but maybe we can make a play for Terrance Williams, or Alan Anderson...

Other big man, that Knicks could target for min. $$$ PF Trey Thompkins, F/C Jeremy Tyler, C Jerome Jordan -- but trying to figure a way to bring KMart should be the task...

Not sure if Prig's will want to stay in NY.........Woodson let the guy know that he was not a first choice .....I mean who pulls a guy who won us a game in the celtics to playoffs to 4 minutes 2 games later.........Prigioni wants to know where he stands and I think Woodson has made it clear Prigionis lack of shooting s not a good thing for coach Woodson......

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Not sure if Prig's will want to stay in NY.........Woodson let the guy know that he was not a first choice .....I mean who pulls a guy who won us a game in the celtics to playoffs to 4 minutes 2 games later.........Prigioni wants to know where he stands and I think Woodson has made it clear Prigionis lack of shooting s not a good thing for coach Woodson......

all I know both Cope and Prigs were extended qualifying offers -- doubt we would match any offer they receive and I do feel both will receive offers...

next year this roster will look entirely different but hopefully it will be younger!!!