What's next for Knicks? Free agency

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
NBA teams began negotiating with free agents at 12:01 a.m. Here is what's on the New York Knicks' to-do list:

Re-sign J.R. Smith. The Sixth Man Award winner agreed, along with his family, to first meet with Knicks coach Mike Woodson and the team's front office on Sunday night to discuss Smith's future in New York.

Two factors that would keep Smith from returning are if he wants to start and if he wants to make more than $5.58 million, the max the Knicks can offer him with early Bird rights. The Detroit Pistons, Milwaukee Bucks and Phoenix Suns are prepared to bid for Smith's services.

Keep Pablo Prigioni and Chris Copeland. Both players are now restricted free agents after receiving qualifying offers from the Knicks.

In an ideal world, the Knicks would split up their mini mid-level exception of $3.18 million to sign both players, but Copeland could demand more than that amount alone. He could have up to eight teams making offers. At least two, the Bucks and New Orleans Pelicans, are prepared to make attractive bids for Copeland, according to a league source. When free agency officially tipped off, the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Lakers were the first two teams to inquire about Copeland, a league source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Retain Kenyon Martin. A source close to K-Mart told ESPNNewYork.com that he's "confident" the power forward wants to return. The biggest hurdle is the Knicks likely only being able to offer the veteran's minimum.

Add another point guard and big man. Point guards could include Aaron Brooks, A.J. Price, Sebastian Telfair, Jamaal Tinsley and Earl Watson. A league source said the Knicks are interested in Brooks, who was recently waived by the Rockets and is represented by Leon Rose, whose clients include Andrea Bargnani, Carmelo Anthony and Smith.

Bigs could include Andray Blatche, Elton Brand, Samuel Dalembert, Lamar Odom, Shavlik Randolph, Anthony Tolliver, Chris Wilcox and Brandan Wright.

A league source said Spurs big man DeJuan Blair will not be a candidate for the Knicks because of their limited financial flexibility. Chris Andersen is another intriguing prospect, but he wants to return to Miami.

Though they don't have much room to spend, "the Knicks never do what you think they will do," another league source said. As the Andrea Bargnani trade proved, that's certainly true.

Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
I've been watching every tweet, stream, website for anything Knick related and it's a ghost town. There is no direction right now...

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
What I hope:

We make defensive a priority this off season and get a more dynamic PG to pair up with Melo.

What I expect:
We'll get good players, but we won't address our shot blocking needs and we'll keep Felton at PG.

This.

We're doing nothing.

Tony Allen would be a great defense piece but we're ignoring a 2nd CONSISTENT scorer to accompany Melo and no starter caliber PG. *Felton is a quality NBA guard and would be a fantastic back-up*

It seems like we're just going to hope this squad does something and gear up in 2015, which is bullsh!t to have to go through...AGAIN.

Rob Low

Rotation player
I'm all in on the Allen bandwagon then. Having him and Shump out there on the wing would be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams

Paul1355

All Star
Resign JR, give Copeland 3 mil mini mid level, sign Pablo and Martin to vet minimum.....get a PG that is quick and can slash like Aaron Brooks or Sebastian Telfar as a 3rd PG option.

Get a center to clog the paint like Samuel Dalembert.

If you can't get JR or Cope then try a sign and trade.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
We are SOOO strapped for cash, we are going to have to make some big reaches because not alot of value is going to come from Vet min guys..

So why not take a gamble?

and yes I'm being serious...

-iversonnyk_display_image.jpg

New New York

Quiet Storm
Do Sign and trades for both JR and Copeland for trade exceptions totalling about 9 million, give it and rights to CJ Leslie to Dallas for Marion; if Dallas strikes out w Dwight they go into rebuild mode and cap space and prospect is fair compensation

sign Will Bynum for 2 year MLE deal

Andrea cash and right to swap picks in 2015 for Lee; Golden State is not too found of Lee's contract -neither am I but I'd take it for the sake of building a power house. But Lee does not have the value many think he does

Re sign Kenyon and Pablo

Felton/Bynum/Priggs
Shump/Priggs/Hardaway (let him develop)
Melo/Marion
Lee/Stat/Melo/Marion
Tyson/K Mart/Lee

JR's scoring is made up by comitee and depth is just sick!

Paul1355

All Star
We are SOOO strapped for cash, we are going to have to make some big reaches because not alot of value is going to come from Vet min guys..

So why not take a gamble?

and yes I'm being serious...

-iversonnyk_display_image.jpg
lol as much as I would love it...there is a reason he is not playing int he NBA anymore....he just wasnt committed due to his ego

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Id call Martin and make him a priority to come back then we give collison ( Darren ) a call and gauge the interest at the mini MLE. Then we flip bargnani for another piece and well be set

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Still think our team at their best last year were capable to make the finals at the least.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Still think our team at their best last year were capable to make the finals at the least.

the entire roster 100% healthy injury free, playing at the best they were capable of playing then yeah I agree, we definitely could have made the Finals, probably even won it.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Tyrus Thomas has been a major disappointment given his size and athleticism. If he is being amnestied the Bobcats will owe him $8M for the year. He can afford a veteran's minimum I would take him. There is not a lot to lose and perhaps someday he will wake up.

Last edited: