Jr Smith resigns with the New York Knicks........oh boy

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
4 more years 4 more years 4 more years... the Knicks are not in the position to let players leave with nothing in return. At the least we have a player with a moveable contract this year or next

skisloper

Starter
4 more years 4 more years 4 more years... the Knicks are not in the position to let players leave with nothing in return. At the least we have a player with a moveable contract this year or next

Now they say maybe a 2 year. That I could live with. Just hope woody is not a kid gloves coach with jr. A coach cannot live in fear of rumpling a players feathers.

tiger0330

Legend
Tyreke Evans 44M/4yr deal with NO. Not going to believe JR is a Knick until it's official.

Never mind. It's official.

Last edited:

LeFlume

All Star
I'm OK with it. JR will win a few games for us. 4y/24M is not that bad for sixth man of the year, He knows our system and he will continue to improve. :gony:

p0nder

Starter
Ok, i'm fine with the money and terms (includes a player option on the 4th year) But i'm not fine with JR's performance in the playoffs and his immaturity as a person. If I was woodson I'd be sitting down with JR and having a manoa-mano with the guy. Going out clubbing is fine for the regular season but in a playoff series where you haven't shown up to be out partying all night is stupid. It shows a lack of professionalisim and a lack of effort and focus on the task at hand.

I'm all for having a good time and I'm sure JR and I would party like it's '99. But there is a time and a place. Hopefully JR gets some of it out of the system over the summer and spends time with his family, allowing him to mature into a man. I also think his dad should step back and let him do his own thing. Who gives a **** what his dad says about his free agency anyways? is his dad signing the papers for him? com'on.

There is lots of ammo to use against JR. The main issue is shot selection followed closely by sharing the ball with his teammates. Too often JR tries to go Melo on the situation and take over a game. It's a team game JR. I know you think you're the best player on the court, but you've got to facilitate the offense.

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
Ok, i'm fine with the money and terms (includes a player option on the 4th year) But i'm not fine with JR's performance in the playoffs and his immaturity as a person. If I was woodson I'd be sitting down with JR and having a manoa-mano with the guy. Going out clubbing is fine for the regular season but in a playoff series where you haven't shown up to be out partying all night is stupid. It shows a lack of professionalisim and a lack of effort and focus on the task at hand.

I'm all for having a good time and I'm sure JR and I would party like it's '99. But there is a time and a place. Hopefully JR gets some of it out of the system over the summer and spends time with his family, allowing him to mature into a man. I also think his dad should step back and let him do his own thing. Who gives a **** what his dad says about his free agency anyways? is his dad signing the papers for him? com'on.

There is lots of ammo to use against JR. The main issue is shot selection followed closely by sharing the ball with his teammates. Too often JR tries to go Melo on the situation and take over a game. It's a team game JR. I know you think you're the best player on the court, but you've got to facilitate the offense.

No Doubt and that's fair.. But all the straight JR bashing on here is a little much IMO. If JR MAKES 15 or so % more shots in the playoffs he's a hero and a goner. ANd if al the following would have remained the case we wouldn't have won anyway....... Woody and his inability to get anything from anyone else other than the 2 guys who could create their own shot. Indiana was a great defensive team, they took the champs to 7 . Woddy had no plan. When you look into that series objectively you will see the great J.Kidd giving you NOTHING!! Getting beat on D, Got killed by Stephenson and made like what? 1 shot all series?? You will see Chadler get Handled on the boards and down low by Hibbs. He also offers NO offense to keep Hibbs and co. honest about loading up the paint leaving Melo and JR to try and do it all. You see Amare as a shell of himself, a hurt Melo, Supposedly a hurt JR, useless Novak, Kmart for all the energy he provides has no skills needed to keep pacers big playing D. etc etc.. So we get the 6th man of the year for the same price ATL paid for Korver??? GREAT!! Plus this move monetarily blocks nothing we would be able to do anyway, case we had no money to spend (Bird rights baby!!) . If we can add Brand, Maybe Barnes, Prigioni, CJ leslie, Kmart, brooks or Telfair. I'll go to war with that. I like the move. Why let all this kid has done and learned last season go thrive somewhere else? Talent on the cheap!!! Again, we could not have done any better for that price. Most we're been able to spend on any one free agent is 3.8mil per anyway. Who would you prefer that comes over for that price??

petescud

Starter
Lets hope another year under JR's belt makes him a more commited player. The guy has the tools. He should study more to create easier shots. On a side note Woody needs to make the offense easier on everyone. We bust our buns for 2 pts and watch the other teams use hardly any energy to score

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
So did Matt Bonner. So that means Bonner>>>Melo too right?

Well Bonner is an NBA Champion..so................I'M KIDDING!

You know what I mean, Duncan and Parker have been San Antonio's main pillars for years.

Melo is a great start...but that's the only pillar we have.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
The New York Knicks and free agent J.R. Smith have agreed to terms on a four-year, $24.7 million contract, the guard's agent, Leon Rose, said Thursday morning.

The contract is the maximum amount the Knicks can offer Smith via the Early Bird Rights, which allows a team to offer the average player salary with standard annual raises of 7.5 percent. The league's financial figures for 2013-14 will be released next week, but the average salary is projected at approximately $5.5 million.

According to a league source, Smith's deal contains a player option in the fourth and final year.

If JR can do consistently what he did during our 13-game win streak from mid March to early April, when we were the best team in the league and he was arguably playing like the best player in the league, this is the best contract we've ever signed. If he does what he did the rest of the time this is a bad decision to lock him up for 4 years. I'm desperately hoping for the former. Go to the hole, JR, it's where you belong!

DrB

Benchwarmer
Well if we don't sign anymore players and head to camp with just the 7 players you listed then we'll get knocked out early

but I'm sure we'll have more than 7 players on our team next year so the jury is still out!

Why are Knick fans either swearing we are gonna win a title or we suck?
Just watched a replay of MILWAUKEE VS KNICKS...Stat had 17 points in 24 min and Chandler had 20 rebounds and they struggled for 3 quarters.....so I say without a mega TRADE I see a 47 game win season and elimination in the first round. Let's stop talking about a championship..in this game Melo was 7 for 22. The only good things was no more NOVAK, CAMBY, RICHARDSON, WHITE. Gone also is SHEED and KIDD. I see JR and PRIGS coming back....hopefully for a vets min we can get KMART. We are weak at point guard with Felton who should be the back up to a better defender. Shumpert will bring more and better offense....Copeland would be a good bench player but Woodson did not play him enough. I don't think the Knicks will resign him....he's a LAKER...lol.

DrB

Benchwarmer
TruOrngnBlu....you get it on JR. I stop spending energy on who will resign and who we might get in a trade. That's all mental masturbation...but here's the bottom line as of now. The core is Chandler, Melo, Amare, Felton, Shumpert, JR, and that group will not beat the HEAT, Nets, Bulls or INDIANA. The issue here is 20 million for Amare as a bench player....if I got 33 min every game from Amare we could play even up with the NETS. JR is certainly worth 5.5 million and 24-5 million over four years. He will be better and more mature. Brand is on the back 9 ...Barnes..forget him and CJ Leslie needs the weight room for 2 years.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Just watched a replay of MILWAUKEE VS KNICKS...Stat had 17 points in 24 min and Chandler had 20 rebounds and they struggled for 3 quarters.....so I say without a mega TRADE I see a 47 game win season and elimination in the first round. Let's stop talking about a championship..in this game Melo was 7 for 22. The only good things was no more NOVAK, CAMBY, RICHARDSON, WHITE. Gone also is SHEED and KIDD. I see JR and PRIGS coming back....hopefully for a vets min we can get KMART. We are weak at point guard with Felton who should be the back up to a better defender. Shumpert will bring more and better offense....Copeland would be a good bench player but Woodson did not play him enough. I don't think the Knicks will resign him....he's a LAKER...lol.

Wait a minute. So we upgraded the roster, another year of gelling and shumps pending improvement but we get worse? That doesn't add up

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

knicksince 93

Rotation player
TruOrngnBlu....you get it on JR. I stop spending energy on who will resign and who we might get in a trade. That's all mental masturbation...but here's the bottom line as of now. The core is Chandler, Melo, Amare, Felton, Shumpert, JR, and that group will not beat the HEAT, Nets, Bulls or INDIANA. The issue here is 20 million for Amare as a bench player....if I got 33 min every game from Amare we could play even up with the NETS. JR is certainly worth 5.5 million and 24-5 million over four years. He will be better and more mature. Brand is on the back 9 ...Barnes..forget him and CJ Leslie needs the weight room for 2 years.

How are y'all vaulting the nets into that level. This experiment won't workout they won't stay healthy just as we couldn't stay healthy. And d wade is gonna continue to decline, the bulls may trade deng and I'm still not sold on them. The only threats are the heat and pacers. But if we keep bargs and he works out. We won't need stat... I understand the pessimism but stop believing what they say on t.v. we got one magical run with this core! Trust

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Why ?

I get home from work and I come log on to read this crap.

Ugh.

JR Smith better come with the right attitude this season.

This dude clowns around too much and doesn't show up when we need him.

Making game winning shots against lottery teams isn't what we need.

Did he not have the right attitude during the season and those game winning shots came when our star was out so it did mean something. you ppl are funny. I like smith and believe he will be even better for us this year. I like smith game yes he needs to change a little and grow up and has proven under woodson that he is willing to do that. Its a process J.R. smith will go down as one of your alltime favs when its all said and done.....ala spreewell i remember ppl bashing him than and now he is alot of fans favorite ex Knick......TIME WILL TELL SAVE THIS POST.......

jimkcchief88

All Star
No Doubt and that's fair.. But all the straight JR bashing on here is a little much IMO. If JR MAKES 15 or so % more shots in the playoffs he's a hero and a goner. ANd if al the following would have remained the case we wouldn't have won anyway....... Woody and his inability to get anything from anyone else other than the 2 guys who could create their own shot. Indiana was a great defensive team, they took the champs to 7 . Woddy had no plan. When you look into that series objectively you will see the great J.Kidd giving you NOTHING!! Getting beat on D, Got killed by Stephenson and made like what? 1 shot all series?? You will see Chadler get Handled on the boards and down low by Hibbs. He also offers NO offense to keep Hibbs and co. honest about loading up the paint leaving Melo and JR to try and do it all. You see Amare as a shell of himself, a hurt Melo, Supposedly a hurt JR, useless Novak, Kmart for all the energy he provides has no skills needed to keep pacers big playing D. etc etc.. So we get the 6th man of the year for the same price ATL paid for Korver??? GREAT!! Plus this move monetarily blocks nothing we would be able to do anyway, case we had no money to spend (Bird rights baby!!) . If we can add Brand, Maybe Barnes, Prigioni, CJ leslie, Kmart, brooks or Telfair. I'll go to war with that. I like the move. Why let all this kid has done and learned last season go thrive somewhere else? Talent on the cheap!!! Again, we could not have done any better for that price. Most we're been able to spend on any one free agent is 3.8mil per anyway. Who would you prefer that comes over for that price??
This.... The last Sixth Man of the Year the Knicks let walk(insert Jamaal Crawford) was hated on this board as well:"he's a chucker..." KO.com groupthink sucks:( this was a great move not to make the same mistake twice...woody will coach jr up:)