Looks like the Rockets are going to move Asik...did we jump the gun with Bargs?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Asik ready to force trade

I'm not saying the Knicks had, or have the assets to get him..but how valuable would that 2016 1st round pick have been in any deal involving a player that wants out of town?

I wouldn't mind Asik and Beverly back in a trade.

Knicks would trade Tyson to ATL so Horford slides to the 4. ATL would move Josh to Houston in a sign and trade, and Asik comes to NYK. Ideally, I would include Felton in there somehow, but 1) who wants him? and 2) that would kinda throw the numbers off I think.

Tyson makes $13M, Smith made $13M last year, so his new deal would start in that neighborhood, and Asik makes $5M. I'm not sure if the Knicks are allowed to take back less than a 1-to-1 dollar ratio as a tax paying team. But we still have that exception right?

If I were Grunny, I'd be crashing any talks that involve a center who's 7' of pure "move outta my way." I originally wanted a 2-way 5 to pair with Melo, but that's HIGHLY unlikely. So if I can go get a center who's big enough to contend with Hibbert, Brook(e), Vucevic, Noah, etc. I think I do my best to get him. Or at least try.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Asik, a quality defender who averaged career highs in points (10.1), rebounds (11.7) and blocks (2.7) while starting all 82 games for Houston last season, has a complicated contract that could become a challenge in a trade.

His official salary-cap number for this season and next is $8.3 million, but because of an arcane measure the Rockets used to sign him away from the Chicago Bulls last year, he is actually owed more than $20 million over the next two seasons.

His salary in 2014-15 is guaranteed at $15 million.

Rob Low

Rotation player
He's not that much of an upgrade from Tyson to be honest and when u factor in the chemistry issues this will present it's really pointless.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
He's not that much of an upgrade from Tyson to be honest and when u factor in the chemistry issues this will present it's really pointless.

Asik is listed at 255lbs, but he's estimated to be a little bigger than that. He's a wall. Neither he, nor Tyson, will give you anything above "serviceable" on offense, but Asik is undeniably the more physical player. Tyson is a slight dude...probably would have been moved to PF coming outta HS if he had any semblance of an offensive game. (kinda like KG)

If we're relying on Tyson to bang down-low with Noah, Hibbert, Andy Varejao, Nikola Vucevic, Asik (if he goes to ATL), not to mention physical dudes like Amir Johnson, Biyombo, and David West...it's not gonna work. Forget it when the Knicks play the West and then you have to factor in Marc, Cousins, Pekovic, JJ Hickson (surprisingly), and Bogut.

We can already see the wear and tear on the 30-year old, 11-year vet. It's no surprise that Tyson started last year strong, and barely made it to the finish line. He's a good dude, I like what he represents, but I don't look at his injuries and fizzling out at the end as pure chance.

That kinda matters at the center position. Asik played 82 games then 66, then 82....he's never missed a game at center. Tyson has never played a full 82 game season. During the lockout year, he plays 62, by far his closest mark to a full season since he played 79 games in 2007-2008. After that season, he's played 45, 51, 74, and 66, games out of 82. If that's not falling apart in-front of our very eyes...what is?

I wouldn't mind getting someone who'll disrupt the "chemistry" if he could be more of a long term answer at the 5. The chemist will get back in that lab eventually, especially if the team is winning.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Asik, a quality defender who averaged career highs in points (10.1), rebounds (11.7) and blocks (2.7) while starting all 82 games for Houston last season, has a complicated contract that could become a challenge in a trade.
His official salary-cap number for this season and next is $8.3 million, but because of an arcane measure the Rockets used to sign him away from the Chicago Bulls last year, he is actually owed more than $20 million over the next two seasons.

His salary in 2014-15 is guaranteed at $15 million.

I still would take a winning Asik over a losing Bargani .. the Rockets should keep Asik to shake-up the Western Conference with TWIN-TOWERS .... The trio of Parson/Harden/Lin defensive intensity shook the league for a 45 win season. Asik bigman performance in Chicago & Houston was worth $10M per being the anchor BIG in the paint.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Asik is a quality center, but his contract would kill our cap ($14.9M through 2014/15), so we'd have to throw in Tyson... and I don't think Omer brings more to the table than Chandler does.

Seba

Benchwarmer
Rockets are getting SOMETHING in return for Asik, we spent NOTHING for Bargnani. That's pretty much the difference.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
This looks like a discussion that needs to be picked up at the end of the season, so we can compare games played between the two. I'm not saying that Asik puts up better numbers than Tyson, I'm saying he impacts the game differently because he's bigger, stronger, and more durable.

Hibbert did whatever he wanted to Tyson both during the season, and in the post-season. Noah gets physical with Tyson and takes him out of his element. Asik. is. a. wall. You're not gonna take him out of his element by being physical with him.

So while Tyson's 10.4ppg and 10.7 rebounds turns into 6.2 points and 6.0 rebounds vs Indy -- I'd take Omer's 10.1ppg, and 11.7 rebounds per game, which also produced 15ppg & 8.5 rebounds per, vs Indy this season. Plus his 12ppg and 11 rebounds in the post season. Tyson is owed roughly $28M over the next two seasons, while Asik is owed around $20M.

How that's not an upgrade on Tyson is beyond me.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Rockets are getting SOMETHING in return for Asik, we spent NOTHING for Bargnani. That's pretty much the difference.

Are they?

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 2h
Though they won't rule out post-Howard trades, the Rockets are now open to keeping Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, league source says.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 2h
As of now, Rockets have no deals in place and no plans for deals, source says.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS

I would certainly love to have that 2016 pick to package with Tyson to see if we can facilitate a 3-team trade somehow.

Kiyaman

Legend

Will Camby play in 65 games next season without his ole nemisis teammate ISO-Melo? Hell yeah!
Will Novak find his touch without perimeter Ball-Hoggers Melo & JR using him as a decoy and screener? Hell yeah!
Will Raptor's use a future 1st and 2nd round pick before the trading deadline to pick-up a missing piece? Hell yeah!
How would we look if the Raptors trade for Asik using our pieces this offseason???

jimkcchief88

All Star
Asik is a glorified donut. I saw him with the Bulls and that contract Houston gave him was a gift. But Houston is becoming known for overpaying donuts(insert Lin). Us knicks fans already know you can't overpay donuts(insert steph) Pass on Asik and his 15 mil