Today's Roster So Far 7/8/13

tiger0330

Legend
One guy the Knicks could have picked up is Toney Douglas. He just signed with the Warriors, 1.6M/1yr deal. I have a feeling that we're going to wait around trying to sign guys like Brand, KMart that are going to better offers somewhere else and we're going to miss on guys like Douglas that are more realistic for 1.7M.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Knicks' free-agency update: Bye, Brand

Free-agent forward Elton Brand is unlikely to sign with the New York Knicks, according to a source close to the player.

Last week, sources said the Knicks were preparing to make an offer to Brand. But at this point, the 34-year-old New York native is pursuing offers from several other teams.

With that in mind, the Knicks will likely now turn their attention to re-signing Kenyon Martin, according to a source close to the situation. The Knicks could pay him the $1.7 million remaining of their mini mid-level exception, or they could use a veteran's minimum contract to lock him up. That's all the funds the Knicks have left. According to a source close to the situation, Martin is not close to signing with any team.

The Knicks have also expressed an interest in Brandan Wright, according to a source close to the player. But it's unlikely New York is the front-runner, because of financial reasons. Less expensive alternatives could include Lou Amundson, Earl Barron, Samuel Dalembert and Chris Wilcox.

Beyond a big, the Knicks are in the market for a small forward -- potentially one who could start alongside Carmelo Anthony at the 4 position -- who would be able to defend and stretch the floor with 3-point shooting. The Knicks worked out Raja Bell on Monday, but there have been no negotiations since then, according to his agent, Herb Rudoy. The Knicks have also had "discussions" with Josh Childress, according to a source close to the player. Childress is open to the veteran's minimum.

Other small forwards the Knicks have inquired about, according to sources, include Dahntay Jones, Mickael Pietrus (who will work out for teams in two weeks upon returning from vacation) and Shawne Williams, who worked out for the Knicks last week. Williams' agent, Happy Walters, said the Knicks still have "some interest," but there's "nothing firm" in terms of offers at this point.

Other options include Maurice Evans and Metta World Peace, who reportedly could be amnestied by the Los Angeles Lakers as early as Wednesday. After that point, there is a chance he could clear waivers from teams under the salary cap, who get priority signing with an amnestied player.

"I could see Ron falling to the Knicks," a source close to the situation said. "I'm not sure if a young team would bite."

Point guard-wise, a source close to the player said the Knicks and Aaron Brooks still have mutual interest. The Knicks like his ability to defend, shoot the 3 and make plays in transition, and they've expressed a desire to run more next season. They were dead last in fast-break points per game last season (8.8).

Brooks is represented by CAA, the same agency that has Anthony, J.R. Smith and Mike Woodson. Other point guards on the team's radar include Daniel Gibson, Charles Jenkins, John Lucas III, Toure Murry, A.J. Price, Nate Robinson, Nolan Smith and Sebastian Telfair.

A source close to the player said last week that Robinson expressed an interest in returning to New York, but that's when they had their full mini mid-level exception (before Pablo Prigioni re-signed). With his competition on the open market, Will Bynum, re-signing for nearly $3 million per year with the Pistons, Robinson will likely demand that amount or higher.

Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
It's freaking me out, we're too passive this offseason. I understand our cap room isn't enough to attract many FAs, but it looks like nobody wants to come to NY...

metrocard

Legend
If we grab Metta, who would have been the better pickup, T-Allen or Metta?

Tony Allen is the superior player right now, but better fit would be

Metta since he can play SF/PF and help Melo out on the defensive end because Tony Allen and Shumpert play the same position.

nyk_nyk

All Star
It's not that the Knicks aren't doing anything, players are waiting until they're sure they can't secure anything better than the league minimum. When that happens then you will see more activity from the team. Basically, there's still a good amount of money to be offered out there.

bigapple

Starter
Tony Allen sux vs Spurs all series long it was same as with Lin vs Heat when u put good d vs strong PG u can simply turn him off only talented players will be still on fire like Parker Rondo

MWP MELO SHUMPERT BARGNIANI [unless he wont be in S5] FELTON/PRIGS i like such S5.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Shump, Chandler, Melo, Amar'e, Leslie, Hardaway, Bargs, JR Smith, Prigs, Felton....am i missing anyone and when season starts, isn't it 15 players that we'll need? I have 10 listed above
YES...METTA WORLD PEACE...aka RON RON ...AKA ..Ron Artest. Leslie has a partial contract and will be given a chance to make the team. The team is required to have 13 players on the team and is allowed 15. I believe they will eventually get to 15 and hopefully we can retain K MART so that's 11 and with Leslie 12. We still need a point guard and a better back up at center than Bargs.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Prigs/Felton/??
Shump/JR/Hardaway
Melo/MWP/Leslie
Bargs/STAT
Chandler/??
??=K-Mart,Aaron Brooks?
or will it be

Prigs/Felton/??
Shump/JR
MWP/Hardaway/Leslie
Melo/Bargs/STAT
Chandler/??

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Prigs/Felton/??
Shump/JR/Hardaway
Melo/MWP/Leslie
Bargs/STAT
Chandler/??
??=K-Mart,Aaron Brooks?
or will it be

Prigs/Felton/??
Shump/JR
MWP/Hardaway/Leslie
Melo/Bargs/STAT
Chandler/??

Most Likely

PG - Felton/Free Agent???/Murry
SG - Shumpert/Hardaway/Prigioni
SF - Artest/J.R. Smith/Leslie
PF - Anthony/Stat/K-Mart
-C - Bargnani/Chandler/Tyler

Free Agent PG - Aaron Brooks???

Do I see K-Mart returning??? Yes to platoon Stat... Remember no back to backs and a limit of 20 per game, which in turn this would benefit Martin as well to back up Anthony...

Why Bargnani at Center, spacing the floor... The only problem I have with it is the rebounding factor, we won't have one...

The two prospects in Murry & Tyler as I hope they continue to play well, they aren't solidified into the rotation but this is what it could look like with them making it...

johnk812

Rookie
Does anyone here actually believe Chandler will come off the bench and yield the starting gig to Bargnani? You smokin dope?

Felton/Prigs/Brooks
Shump/JR/Hardaway
Melo/JR/Artest
Bargnani/Amare/K-Mart
Chandler/FA/Tyler

Amare and Bargnani (and even K-Mart) can spell Tyson at C, but that's not an ideal situation. I like Tyler's potential alot, but he's not ready. I'd like Brandan Wright or Oden, but I think they are out of our price range. Maybe Dalembert?

petescud

Starter
Woody said he's starting guys just like last year (by committee)...basically MWP and Bargs will alternate for the most part as Stat is limit to 20 minutes...