Beno Udrih To Sign One-Year Deal With Knicks

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Yes to the better shooting Carlos Arroyo. It sucks loosing Kidd but gaining the skill set of Beno is one of our biggest moves this offseason and will likely help us more this postseason then we got last season... Hopefully resulting in a more balanced and consistent offense.

tiger0330

Legend
He's not because every GM in the league did this. All of those signings came after the pickens became slim.
Give the guy some credit. Beno could have signed with anyone of 30 teams but he signed with the Knicks, he was supposed to have signed with Memphis for a 1yr above the min deal but he chose NY.

I did say that the new CBA was mostly responsible for the ridiculous amount of guys signing for the minimum. Gone are the days where a Rashard Lewis is getting a 100M deal or Jerome James and Stromile Swift 35M 5 year deals.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Arroyo has better handles and is better overall. He bodied Beno in FIBA. Plus Arroyo shot 53% FG and 66% 3pt against Beno career wise in the NBA. Hold that.

Head to head means squat as it pertains to who's a better shooter. Show me what they've done for their careers in the league and then what you're saying may hold some water

Broadway

All Star
Give the guy some credit. Beno could have signed with anyone of 30 teams but he signed with the Knicks, he was supposed to have signed with Memphis for a 1yr above the min deal but he chose NY.

I did say that the new CBA was mostly responsible for the ridiculous amount of guys signing for the minimum. Gone are the days where a Rashard Lewis is getting a 100M deal or Jerome James and Stromile Swift 35M 5 year deals.

Without touching the deals from last year or right after the lockout players are still getting paid. Have you been unconscious all summer with exception to this week as we acquired Beno?

This summer went as follows....

Gerald Henderson 3yrs $18mil

Kyle Korver 4yrs $24mil

Martell Webster 4yrs $24mil

O.J. Mayo 3yrs $24mil

Carl Landry 4yrs $26mil

Jarret Jack 4yrs $26mil

Kevin Martin 4yrs $28mil

Jose Calderon got 4yrs $29mil

Ellis 3yrs $30mil

David West 3yrs $36mil

Tiago Splitter got 4yrs $36mil

Al Jefferson 3yrs $41mil

John Wall 5yrs $80mil

All these deals are somewhat iffy and very similar dollarswise as in yrs past. Only difference is the length of terms on deals. They've shortened them. You could even argue did D-12 and CP3 truly deserve the deals they received.

When you use the word.."MAGICAL" it doesn't jive with Grunwald....maybe Morey but not Grunwald. What Grunwald did was "status quo". There are GMs who are currently making equal to better moves at this late stage in the game.

tiger0330

Legend
Without touching the deals from last year or right after the lockout players are still getting paid. Have you been unconscious all summer with exception to this week as we acquired Beno?

This summer went as follows....

Gerald Henderson 3yrs $18mil

Kyle Korver 4yrs $24mil

Martell Webster 4yrs $24mil

O.J. Mayo 3yrs $24mil

Carl Landry 4yrs $26mil

Jarret Jack 4yrs $26mil

Kevin Martin 4yrs $28mil

Jose Calderon got 4yrs $29mil

Ellis 3yrs $30mil

David West 3yrs $36mil

Tiago Splitter got 4yrs $36mil

Al Jefferson 3yrs $41mil

John Wall 5yrs $80mil

All these deals are somewhat iffy and very similar dollarswise as in yrs past. Only difference is the length of terms on deals. They've shortened them. You could even argue did D-12 and CP3 truly deserve the deals they received.

When you use the word.."MAGICAL" it doesn't jive with Grunwald....maybe Morey but not Grunwald. What Grunwald did was "status quo". There are GMs who are currently making equal to better moves at this late stage in the game.
I am not going to even look but I bet a lot of those guys like Calderon, West and Jefferson are making less money per year than their last contracts. Of course these guys are going to get paid millions it's the NBA but the new CBA has put the clamps on spending with tighter restrictions on the MLE among other things which was available to every team every year and made wealthy guys of Jerome James, Jared Jeffries etc., that's no longer the case as with the Knicks and Lakers not having access to it this year.

Stars or borderline stars are still going to get paid, not as generously as under the last CBA but the real affect has been on role players and that was evident this off-season with so many guys signing for the vet min.

And please if DH and CP3 didn't deserve max contracts who did? In fact I credit Dwight for going to Houston and taking 30M less to show everyone it wasn't all about money with him.

I like Grunwald at the helm also, I think he's the most professional manager we've had in the last decade. I sometimes wonder if he was at the helm instead of Walsh whether we would have signed Stat. He's far better then any guy we have had like Zeke and Layden.

Broadway

All Star
I am not going to even look but I bet a lot of those guys like Calderon, West and Jefferson are making less money per year than their last contracts. Of course these guys are going to get paid millions it's the NBA but the new CBA has put the clamps on spending with tighter restrictions on the MLE among other things which was available to every team every year and made wealthy guys of Jerome James, Jared Jeffries etc., that's no longer the case as with the Knicks and Lakers not having access to it this year.

Stars or borderline stars are still going to get paid, not as generously as under the last CBA but the real affect has been on role players and that was evident this off-season with so many guys signing for the vet min.

And please if DH and CP3 didn't deserve max contracts who did? In fact I credit Dwight for going to Houston and taking 30M less to show everyone it wasn't all about money with him.

I like Grunwald at the helm also, I think he's the most professional manager we've had in the last decade. I sometimes wonder if he was at the helm instead of Walsh whether we would have signed Stat. He's far better then any guy we have had like Zeke and Layden.

Actually West got a raise as he received a 2yr $20mil dollar deal from Pacers during lockout.

Jefferson received a 5yr $65mil deal from Sota, just finished it in Utah. 3yrs $41mil from Bobcats is essentially the same deal. Keep in mind the percentages on raises went from 10.5% and 8% down to 7% and 4.5% so obviously you have to adjust for yearly salary increases.

Calderon got 5yrs $45mil extension from Raptors...yes he took somewhat of a hit but not by much considering he is 32yrs old, why should he have received more money? Nevertheless he locked up long term dollars at a premium again.

I just showed you there are several guys who are near Effries and Jerome James status in comparison to what they got paid.

Should I go back to last yr(just give me the go ahead) proving this to you? I think what has tightened up is teams willingness to pay Tax Dollars, not giving players Max extensions unconditionally.

Oh and to revisit my list..... the Bucks offered Ellis 3yrs $36mil. He turned it down which would have been a raise for him...The Nuggets offered Iggy 4yrs $52mil which would have been a slight paycut but not by much he turned it down.

I forgot to put Tyreke Evans' "RIDICULOUS CONTRACT" on the list, he got like 4yrs $44mil from the Pelicans...

I forgot to put Mozgov's contract on the list he got 3yrs $19mil from Denver

You know what I won't wait for you to give me the go ahead on last year's deals and the lockout yr....SO HERE WE......GOOOOOOO!!!

Marcus Camby got 3yrs $12mil

Steve Novak got 4yrs $18mil

Micheal Beasley got 3yrs $19mil

Landry Fields got 3yrs $19mil

Lin got 3yrs $25mil(poison pill)

Asik got 3yrs $25mil(poison pill)

Jamal Crawford got 4yrs $26mil

Goran Dragic got 4yrs $30mil

Wilson Chandler got 5yrs $37mil

Demar Derozan got 4yrs $40mil

Gerald Wallace 4yrs $40mil

Ersan Illyasova got 5yrs $40mil

Danilo Gallinari got 4yrs $42mil

Thaddeus Young got 5yrs $42mil

De'Andre Jordan got 4yrs $48mil

Tyson Chandler got 4yrs $48mil(was offered as much as $52mil according to some reports)

Serge Ibaka got 4yrs $50mil

Eric Gordon got 4yrs $56mil

Nene Hilario got 5yrs $67mil

Harden got 5yrs $80mil

Harden's deal is probably debateable as good but let's exclude him.....all the others you may have valid reason for questioning the deals prior to and at this point. The only players who appear to have received good value since

Stephen Curry

Ty Lawson

Jrue Holiday

Kevin Love

Josh Smith

Last edited:

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Actually West got a raise as he received a 2yr $20mil dollar deal from Pacers during lockout.

Jefferson received a 5yr $65mil deal from Sota, just finished it in Utah. 3yrs $41mil from Bobcats is essentially the same deal. Keep in mind the percentages on raises went from 10.5% and 8% down to 7% and 4.5% so obviously you have to adjust for yearly salary increases.

Calderon got 5yrs $45mil extension from Raptors...yes he took somewhat of a hit but not by much considering he is 32yrs old, why should he have received more money? Nevertheless he locked up long term dollars at a premium again.

I just showed you there are several guys who are near Effries and Jerome James status in comparison to what they got paid.

Should I go back to last yr(just give me the go ahead) proving this to you? I think what has tightened up is teams willingness to pay Tax Dollars, not giving players Max extensions unconditionally.

Oh and to revisit my list..... the Bucks offered Ellis 3yrs $36mil. He turned it down which would have been a raise for him...The Nuggets offered Iggy 4yrs $52mil which would have been a slight paycut but not by much he turned it down.

I forgot to put Tyreke Evans' "RIDICULOUS CONTRACT" on the list, he got like 4yrs $44mil from the Pelicans...

I forgot to put Mozgov's contract on the list he got 3yrs $19mil from Denver

You know what I won't wait for you to give me the go ahead on last year's deals and the lockout yr....SO HERE WE......GOOOOOOO!!!

Marcus Camby got 3yrs $12mil

Steve Novak got 4yrs $18mil

Micheal Beasley got 3yrs $19mil

Landry Fields got 3yrs $19mil

Lin got 3yrs $25mil(poison pill)

Asik got 3yrs $25mil(poison pill)

Goran Dragic got 4yrs $30mil

Wilson Chandler got 5yrs $37mil

Demar Derozan got 4yrs $40mil

Gerald Wallace 4yrs $40mil

Ersan Illyasova got 5yrs $40mil

Danilo Gallinari got 4yrs $42mil

Thaddeus Young got 5yrs $42mil

De'Andre Jordan got 4yrs $48mil

Tyson Chandler got 4yrs $48mil(was offered as much as $52mil according to some reports)

Serge Ibaka got 4yrs $50mil

Eric Gordon got 4yrs $56mil

Nene Hilario got 5yrs $67mil

Harden got 5yrs $80mil

Harden's deal is probably debateable as good but let's exclude him.....all the others you may have valid reason for questioning the deals prior to and at this point. The only players who appear to have received good value since

Stephen Curry

Ty Lawson

Jrue Holiday

Kevin Love

Josh Smith

These deals are nowhere near the pre-new cba deals

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Broadway

All Star
Yes they are...you can't argue the numbers...the only difference is length on contracts. What's clouding you're simple arithmetic are the yrs...

MLE deals old cba=6yrs/$36mil=$6mil/yr

MLE deals old cba modified=5yrs/$25-29mil=$5-6mil/yr

MLE deals new cba modified
Non Tax Teams Pay....Average League Salary....$5-5.5mil yrs max 4yrs
Tax Paying Teams Pay....Designated Salary $3.183mil max 4yrs

Now go break down what each player(that was clearly not Max Level) is making per yr and see if it's more than $5-6mil/yr

If anything maybe the CBA possibly eliminates the Hedo/Curry/Thomas/Crawford/Bargnani type deals but then again did it? Don't Ersan/Wallace/Jordan/Gordon/Asik make similar money?

tiger0330

Legend
These deals are nowhere near the pre-new cba deals

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
You can't argue with the guy, he'll tell you nothing has changed with this new CBA even with fewer teams not having the full MLE and escalating luxury taxes, shorter contracts etc. My observation was I can't remember so many guys signing 1yr/vet min deals like they have this year.

bigapple

Starter
btw upcoming season Knicks and Bulls will b most televised by national TV channels not only by league pass which truely is just mix of local channels.

I a want from this upcoming season is team not 30+ each game by MELO.
More D less dribling

and now it will be nets knicks not celtics knicks war but not for long till Pierce and KG retiers.

metrocard

Legend
I gurantee you guys that Knicks will get bumped out of the first round in the 2013-14 playoffs.

Worst interior defense in the league, average rebounding, not the best shooting and average point guard play.

This team is measured by Carmelo Anthony's level of performance and our bench trying to be consistent. Weak as hell.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I gurantee you guys that Knicks will get bumped out of the first round in the 2013-14 playoffs.

Worst interior defense in the league, average rebounding, not the best shooting and average point guard play.

This team is measured by Carmelo Anthony's level of performance and our bench trying to be consistent. Weak as hell.

How can you say that without even watching a game or before the team has been together for a single practice?!

If this is truly what you believe then why watch a single game this year?

This post seriously made me sick and I respect you so much as a part of this website and Knicksnation.

I guess you look at Stat and Barg and figure those guys are what they are and cant add a single thing to what they do. They're just going to get worse... Not like coaching can alter anything or players can come in with something to prove. None of that means anything. Barg will only be the guy who was a bust #1 pick and Stat has 1 foot in the NBA grave. Worst interior defense in the ENTIRE league?! REALLY?

Do we have interior D like Indy or MIA, no but come on!

Its like that guy on a boat filled with people but pissed he didn't build it himself so he'd rather the entire thing sink so he can just say "I told you so" on the way down.