J.R."s KNEE SURGERY...did the Knicks screw up?

DrB

Benchwarmer
I see that JR Smith had meniscus surgery...and while I didn't read the operative report I see he's out 3-4 months which is a significant procedure. So how could the Knick give him a four year contract and did they insure his contract at signing? If it's 4 month JR is not back for the season opener. How will this effect the Knicks season? Your Thoughts?

tiger0330

Legend
If it was only meniscus surgery it would be NP. Lin had the same surgery and was criticized for not coming back in the playoffs 8 weeks after his surgery. I think JR had a combo surgery, a scope to repair the torn meniscus and patella tendon knee surgery.

Not a doctor but guys come back from knee surgeries. Just glad it wasn't the dreaded microfracture surgery or Brandon Roy's knee problem where he had no cartilage left in his knees.

I would bet they insured his contract otherwise why risk signing him if an insurance company wouldn't risk insuring him.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
The Knicks management knew of the injury and knew he needed surgery... This is the main reason his new deal was for 3 years not 4...

DrB

Benchwarmer
If it was only meniscus surgery it would be NP. Lin had the same surgery and was criticized for not coming back in the playoffs 8 weeks after his surgery. I think JR had a combo surgery, a scope to repair the torn meniscus and patella tendon knee surgery.

Not a doctor but guys come back from knee surgeries. Just glad it wasn't the dreaded microfracture surgery or Brandon Roy's knee problem where he had no cartilage left in his knees.

I would bet they insured his contract otherwise why risk signing him if an insurance company wouldn't risk insuring him.
Further research show you are absolutely correct and the tendon repair is a major impediment to recovery....glad to know he's probably insured after the STAT fiasco.