Official WANG ZHELIN KNICKS ALL-STAR fanpage !!!!!!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
The kid can handle the ball for a big man, good passer and can finish with either hand but I did not see him take one jump shot and the one FT he took he missed. His game wouldn't translate well to the NBA imo unless he has a more rounded offensive game than he showed in this video. Having an offensive game that just uses spin moves and layups works when you're playing against much smaller competition that he plays against will work in China but not in the NBA. Yao is still the greatest player to come from China, had a jump shot good out to the 3 pt line along with a wonderful post game.

He also has to get stronger, seriously stronger, dude was using a spotter to bench press a 135 lb. bar bell.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
:boohoo:

Of course he is not anywhere near ready yet.

:peace:

I am just hoping we can somehow tie up his rights with a draft pick next year.

:beer:

I like that he shows a willingness to bang inside, not your typical soft foreign big man.

:afro: :afro: :afro:

Just getting out in front on this one so years from now I can [size=+2]rule the board[/size] !!!!!!

:smokin:

Last edited:

nixon7

Benchwarmer
There is debate about his claimed age of 19.

He is currently projected as a late second rounder next year, but this could change if he shows development this year.

Here is one (not particularly favorable) scouting summary:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Wang-Zhelin-6352/

However, the Knicks brain trust did work him out in a private session this summer, so their thinking is probably more important than the general consensus.

The Knicks scout who is watching him is Gary Boyson (Director, Asia-Pacific Scouting).

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
That's a red flag being suspected of lying about his age. Same thing that happened with Yi where he was supposedly older than his stated age and look how he turned out, a first round bust.

That's the problem with the Chinese players, the level of competition is very inferior to the NBA or NCAA. They need to come over on college scholarships and spend 4 years here learning the American game but they don't speak English by and large and their careers are controlled by the government.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Red flag? No pun intended, I presume.

I think it is a mistake to lump players together like that. Obviously, the lack of competition and coaching is a problem, although China is getting better.

It is an open question whether drafting or signing is a better strategy to developing such players. It is also an open question whether China, Europe, Brazil, the D Leagues, or the team's practice squad is the best method to developing projects once obtained.

Given the lack of draft picks for the Knicks in coming years, non-traditional methods may be the better strategy for us going forward (unless we can swing some trades to re-stock on draft picks).

metrocard

Legend
I was automatically turned off once I saw he averages .9 blocks in CHINA.

At 7" feet and 250 pounds, please give me 3 blocks a game sir.