ESPN Power Ranking for the 2013-14 NBA Season

metrocard

Legend
Before I post the link, I want to see everyone's top 16 teams in the NBA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/-1

2013-14 Power Rankings: Training Camp
RANKTEAM / RECORDCOMMENTS
Miami
66-16
The Heat, with zero financial flexibility, have spruced up the roster as much as they feasibly could have by adding Oden and Beasley. It says here they'll cope just fine with LeBron's looming free agency, too. The real issue is going to be getting out of the East, which is going to be way harder.
Indiana
49-32
I'm super high on Indy and for once it has nothing to do with thoughts of the inimitable shrimp ****tail at St. Elmo's. Sprinkle in Danny Granger and Luis Scola from an upgraded bench with the freshly maxed-out Paul George and playoffs Roy Hibbert and you've got a legit title-contending mix.
Brooklyn
49-33
Can J-Kidd coach? Can J-Kidd, with zero experience and facing championship expectations, coach a team that will spend nearly $190 million in salary and luxury taxes this season? I know this much: I've seen J-Kidd, at age 38, guard Kobe and Durant in the playoffs. So I know he won't be scared.
Los Angeles
56-26
The opportunity is there to do something far more significant than worry about the unwinnable battle for L.A. bragging rights with the Lakers. You'd obviously like the Clips' chances better if KG and Pierce arrived in tow with Doc Rivers, but they've got a team now that can win the whole West.
San Antonio
58-24
I've said it a zillion times: Let somebody else write the Spurs off. Yet like everyone else, I do wonder about how they'll bounce back mentally and how they'll physically handle another nine-month grind. Don't forget these guys have actually endured two successive heartbreaking postseasons.
Houston
45-37
Houston won the summer ... or, at worst, shares Best Offseason honors with Brooklyn. They probably need one season together before we really see the Rockets threatening to win the West, but they are also never really done making moves. So stay tuned to see what they get for Asik.
Oklahoma City
60-22
Leaguewide appreciation for Russell Westbrook after the injury misfortune that knocked him out of the playoffs is at an all-time peak. The team outlook, though, seems gloomier than ever since the Thunder landed in OKC, thanks to the limitations of the cast around Durant, Ibaka and Russ.
Chicago
45-37
The respect (fear?) Las Vegas has for Derrick Rose always impresses me. The Bulls' visit to Miami on opening night will mark Rose's first game in 549 days, but you won't find Chicago lower than third or fourth in the Sin City sports books when it comes to ranking 2013-14 championship odds.
Memphis
56-26
Of the whopping 13 new coaches in this league, other than Jason Kidd, no one faces more immediate pressure than Dave Joerger. Will be interesting to see how many times Memphis, with the untested Joerger in Lionel Hollins' seat, gets to No. 1 here aftertopping ESPN's franchise standings.
Golden State
47-35
Yup: I'm one of those worriers who fear the Dubs surrendered too much of their crucial chemistry when they sacrificed Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry to make room for Andre Iguodala. The easiest way for them to shut me up: Andrew Bogut and David Lee making splashy returns from injury.
New York
54-28
Who thinks they're going to win 54 games again? Not I. The top half of the East is significantly more competitive, which means that the Knicks better get something out of Amar'e Stoudemireand Andrea Bargnani -- as well as Metta World Peace and a full-strength Iman Shumpert -- to keep up.
Atlanta
44-38
For all our giddiness about how good the upper crust of the East can be this season, let's not get carried away. The East's No. 6, No. 7 and No. 8 seeds are up for grabs and the Hawks, just by signing Paul Millsap and Elton Brand on bargain deals to flank Al Horford, should still be a playoff team.
Minnesota
31-51
Fearlessly predicting Love, Rubio and Pekovic will log more than the 13 minutes of court time they shared as a trio last season. With Adelman back and Kev Martin/C. Brewer coming in, you'd go ahead and call this a playoff team, too, if you knew the Wolves could finally stay reasonably healthy.
Dallas
41-41
One of the toughest teams on the board to forecast. For all the justifiable hand-wringing over what Dallas didn't get done in free agency for a second straight summer, you can't ignore that this team went 41-41 last season with Dirk missing 29 games. And the new roster is undeniably stronger.
Portland
33-49
The Blazers insist Lillard, Batum and Aldridge are their core trio. Speculation persists it'll eventually be Lillard, Batum and whatever they get back in an Aldridge trade. What matters most for now is whether they have enough depth around those three to crack the West's top eight. We shall see.
Denver
57-25
When rankings season ended last April, Denver had been so hot for so long in the spring that it finished a lofty No. 3. You can scarcely recognize this team now with no George Karl, no Andre Iguodala, no Masai Ujiri ... and a roster seemingly destined for the bottom half of the rankings this term.
Washington
29-53
Camp hasn't even started in the nation's capital and already there's an injury (Emeka Okafor's neck) to fill the air with gloom. Maybe John Wall and Bradley Beal can lift it if they start fast and keep blossoming as a tandem, but you can't halt a run of five straight non-playoff seasons without size.
Detroit
29-53
The Pistons only add to that East-is-more-intriguing vibe after importing J-Smoove and B-Jennings to team up with Monroe and Drummond. Just not sure locals who remember the glory days will be satisfied with League Pass Darlings status. Or a coach (Mo Cheeks) no one else was pursuing.
Cleveland
24-58
The Cavs take a fascinating assemblage of talent into their fourth season post-LeBron. But this is another team that really needs (deserves?) some extended health so we actually get to see how it looks with Kyrie, Waiters, Bennett, T. Thompson, Varejao and Bynum on the same squad.
New Orleans
27-55
The committee (of one) has indeed reached the point where we instinctively say and write Pelicans. Not there yet, though, when it comes to proclaiming New Orleans playoff material. The pieces are undeniably promising but The Unibrow, Jrue, Tyreke & Co. still have a lot of meshing to do.
Los Angeles
45-37
Sorry, folks. Won't pretend I've got a great fix on this group's ceiling -- since we don't know how soon we'll see Kobe Bryant -- but I ain't buyin' that the Lakers have lost their luster because one marquee free agent jilted them. Get your shots in while you can. Cause (Arnold voice) they'll be back.
Sacramento
28-54
How many of you, back in April, thought we'd see the Kings' logo on this list? Five months later? One of their most hated rivals just announced to the world that his new home is "Shaqramento." So before we even get into this season's prospects, let's just let Sac-Town revel in the moment.
Toronto
34-48
This week's announcement that the 2016 All-Star Game is Toronto-bound came as welcome news to your Canada-loving rankings curator. The Raps could make this a lot easier with a return to relevance, but now I'm guaranteed a trip to one of my favorite cities on Earth ... in a mere three-plus years.
Orlando
20-62
It's not often that the committee has to rethink things, but initial cool reviews of the Magic's post-Dwight Howard plan might have been premature. GM Hennigan has amassed coveted youngsters (Vucevic, Tobias Harris, Oladipo, Harkless) and managed to sell his fan base on a patient approach.
Utah
43-39
The Jazz have to feel fortunate. They let both of their marquee free agents walk in free agency, have committed to playing kids with Jefferson and Millsap gone and nonetheless appear to have widespread support from their fan base even with lots of losses ahead in the short term. Special.
Milwaukee
38-44
Our own Kevin Arnovitz wrote a comprehensive piece this monthexplaining why Senator Kohl cannot bear to let the Bucks bottom out in the quest for lottery salvation like the Phoenixes, Orlandos and Phillys of this world. But do you see 'em making the playoffs with the squad they've got?
Boston
41-40
They have to trade Rajon Rondo. You know it, I know it, everyone in basketball knows it. In the interim, though, hats off to Danny Ainge. By hiring Brad Stevens, he's found a way to keep the Celts riveting for the Boston die-hards while he's in the midst of all these tricky rebuilding transactions.
Charlotte
21-61
They'll only be the Bobcats for one more season, after which we'll see how long it takes us to get used to saying Hornetsagain. In the meantime: What's with all the Al Jefferson naysayers? His deal is not a crippler. And he's the frontcourt scorer the Bobcats haven't had since they were the Hornets.
Phoenix
25-57
The plan, Phoenix insists, is to play Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe together in the backcourt. Which is intriguing enough to get us tuning in -- especially when you throw in Jeff Hornacek as a rookie coach -- even though the same plan calls for stockpiling draft picks and essentially starting over.
Philadelphia
34-48
Philly didn't hire Brett Brown as coach until Aug. 14 and was the first team openly associated with tanking for Andrew Wiggins. None of that will earn the Sixers even one extra pingpong ball, but perhaps we can soften the blow of their consensus No. 30 status by calling them trendsetters?

metrocard

Legend
Tier A
1. Heat
2. Spurs
3. Clips

Tier B
4. Pacers
5. Thunder
6. Rockets

Tier C
7. Nyets
8. Warriors
9. Knicks
10. Bulls
11. Grizzlies
12. Nuggets

Tier D
13. T'Wolves
14. Pistons(wildcard)
15. Pelicans(wildcard)

I can't think of a 16th team....maybe the Hawks?

Last edited:

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
1.Heat
2.Pacers
3.Thunder
4.Spurs
5.Rockets
6.Clippers
7.Bulls
8.Nets
9.Warriors
10.Grizzlies
11.Knicks
12.Hawks
13.Mavericks
14.Blazers
15.Nuggets
16.Timberwolves

bigapple

Starter
Spurs r still 1st place in mine list

Heat r just lucky winners

game 6 was just complete luck i know its happned it done its history

game 7 last mins 2 miss by Duncan which could aslo seal the deal

Spurs still didnt receiving that they lost finals so any upcoming game vs Heat they will be prepared

then i can put Indy and Heat with Bulls and Memphis

Last edited:

Rob Low

Rotation player
The Pacers are the best team in the league in my opinion going into the season. I don't see the Nets or the Bulls being better than us though.

bigapple

Starter
thats why i will watch Indy vs Spurs and Memphis instead of comercialized Clippers

also worth to check Rockets Lin Harden combo with D12 and Parsons.

Knicks if JR behaviour will be more responsibility he got skills but he dont use them properly well maybe he need POP coaching invidual-separation

Nets? they still got Lopez for me its really exlellent center. Easy buckets can shot from lot ways ft's blocks
connect this with D-Will u got there also Jet and will Pierce /Garnett but they will be 4 sure limited
Gerald and Son of John still scary so i will watch also BKN - Indy
u have to be aware of BKN coz they can play with Bulls .

Kiyaman

Legend
My top 8 in EAST
Miami
Brooklyn
Chicago
Indiana
Knicks
Detroit
Atlanta
Cleveland

My top-8 in the WEST
Rockets
Clippers
Spurs
Thunders
Warriors
Nuggets
Grizzles
Mavs

Kiyaman

Legend
Cleveland, interesting team.

No love for the T'Wolves?

Why? because HC Rick Adelman had the organization sign his ball-hogger Keven Martin to the team?
The OKC Thunder thought Keven Martin would give them 60% of what Harden gave to the team, it didnt happen.
It will be nice to see what Rubio & Barea could get out of Martin & Love this season, I just doubt it will be more than the production of Mavs, Grizz, Nuggets, and Warriors.

metrocard

Legend
Why? because HC Rick Adelman had the organization sign his ball-hogger Keven Martin to the team?
The OKC Thunder thought Keven Martin would give them 60% of what Harden gave to the team, it didnt happen.
It will be nice to see what Rubio & Barea could get out of Martin & Love this season, I just doubt it will be more than the production of Mavs, Grizz, Nuggets, and Warriors.

Love have to shoot 50%, less 3's and more work in the post for high percentage shots. Shooting low 40% for a big man...just makes Kevin Love an Antonie Walker with good rebounding.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
The Pacers are the best team in the league in my opinion going into the season. I don't see the Nets or the Bulls being better than us though.

While I wouldnt put Indiana at the top spot, they are still definitely up there, which sucks for us as I for one cant stand the Pacers.

I agree with Knicks being better than the Nets. Yeah, obviously Im a little biased being a Knicks fan, but I dont think Pierce has much left and Garnett's health is always in question this far into his career, making the Nets overrated as a paper champion (ala LAL last season) IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Kiyaman

Legend
While I wouldnt put Indiana at the top spot, they are still definitely up there, which sucks for us as I for one cant stand the Pacers.

I agree with Knicks being better than the Nets. Yeah, obviously Im a little biased being a Knicks fan, but I dont think Pierce has much left and Garnett's health is always in question this far into his career, making the Nets overrated as a paper champion (ala LAL last season) IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

I will say it again .... HC Jason Kidd has a dynamic winning coaching-staff in KG & Pierce.
HC Woody had a dynamic winning coaching-staff in the "Old-Heads" that were on the roster lastseason.
All Woody had to do was give each "Old-Head" a scouting-sheet of the next oponent, an their input lead to a 54 win season.
Why do u think HC Phil Jax, Pop, Carlyle, and now Spoe all have a few "Old-Heads" on their roster.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lastseason this time in the preseason, I predicted the Knicks winning the Atlantic Division Title ....
This 2013-14 season Jason Kidd will get that Title again.

Looking at a few contender-teams schedule to figure out what their record would look like when they win 20 games in 2013-14 season was much easier than the 3 previous season. In Dec/Jan the standing will hold record like this:

Bulls - 20 -10 (with a healthy Noah/Boo/Deng/Butler/Rose in 30 games)
Pacers - 20 -11
Clippers - 20 - 11
Rockets - 20 - 12
Brooklyn - 20 - 14

u dont want my evaluation on HC Woody & ISO-Melo Knicks 20 win record having an easy first-half schedule ..
Because 20 -18 dont look good for a contender team .. Amare & Kenyon Martin still have not accepted Melo's selfish Ball-Hoggin ways, and JRsmith selfishness only adds to the problem. How valuable is Kenyon Martin? K-Mart played 18 regular season games lastseason, and went 16-2.

I did not do the Miami Heat schedule bc HC Spoe, Wade, and Lebron trick me bigtime lastseason by waiting to midseason to sign Birdman, to only lose 6 games out of their final 42 games of the regular season. Conspiracy...

Broadway

All Star
I'm only going Top 4 in each conference based on Contending seeds regular season

Eastern Conference

1. Pacers
2. Brooklyn
3. Heat
4. Bulls

Western Conference

1. Spurs
2. Clippers
3. Rockets
4. Thunder

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
Pending injuries and maybe some trades along the way, we are a top 10 team. Amar'e needs to step up this season which I think with the addition of Andrea, he will.

Shump is going to be massive this year. Metta World War will pass on his secrets of perimeter D to the young guy.

NYC is ours. I too am a little biased but they are old. Yes they have experience but its a long, long season for old legs!

bigapple

Starter
this thread is done it should be closed or whatever

thursday TNT game is key game for Knicks

even when Nets will be playing without their few key players
that is still very meaningful game.

metrocard

Legend

It was bumped to remind everyone including myself how much we were fooled into thinking this team had a chance to compete.

Paul1355

All Star

so if we beat a Nets team with no Paul Peirce and possibly no Deron Williams that means a lot?

The only thing it means is Woodson lasts for another game as coach.

We have lost to teams without their main players. Bobcats lost Kemba Walker for most of game, we lost. Pelicans lost Anthony Davis, we lost. "We find ways to lose."

That is pretty bad, Hit the eject button already