New York Knicks at Boston Celtics, October 9, 2013 - 1st Game Of The Pre-season

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
It was a very chaotic game. Shumpert and Hardaway looked great and so did Felton. Artest also looked solid. Melo and Tyson didn't have to do much and we all know they're gonna be in great shape once the RS kicks off. Bargnani looked weak, that Brazilian guy dunked on him a couple of times and generally speaking Bargs has no idea what he's doing, no D, no rebounding and his offense wasn't impressive either. He's a poor man's Amare IMO, however with better knees. I'm somehow surpised Leslie didn't get more PT, also I'm wondering why Murry didn't even play. Udrih is out of shape... Aldrich/Powell/Diogu/Chris Smith are just camp roster fillers.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lastnight 103-102 win over Boston .... Aiite Knicks B.Ball again .. Neg & Pos

Why, oh why did we resign JRsmith .. we do not need any of JRsmith's dribble-dribble inconsistent talents on this team for 30 minutes per game. Especially after drafting last second shot Tim Hardaway Jr., then signing Big-guard SF-Leslie to a half-guaranteed contract .. Pablo & Shump are our dynamic combo-guards that need plenty of playingtime this season to get more confidence in their passin/scoring skills with teammates.
PG-Felton & PG-Beno should be at the point leading the offense with ball-movement throughout the season.

Did anyone notice all the great passes our BALL-HOGGIN Carmelo Anthony were making? No holding, no dribbling, and no ISO-Melo, what we seen was a decent star-player effort of getting his teammates involve in the game by catchin and passin, slashin & passin, and all Melo's passes were on target which gave the Knicks a 20 point lead :D .
The last time I seen Melo consistently pass the ball with great accuracy was when he went to the WCF with player/coach Billups.

HC Woody have to do something urgent about his poor-coaching in our frontcourt bigmen lineup of Center & PF.
Tyson & Bargani movement in the paint on offense and defense were pure-sloppy .. SF-Melo, PG-Felton, SG-Pablo, and SG-Shump ball-movement covered well for the sloppiness of Tyson & Bargani poor positioning in the paint.
I do understand that Tyson Chandler went an entire 2012-13 season without having a PF in his lineup, the last time we seen HC Woody put a PF (Amare) in the lineup with Tyson was in the 2012 postseason game vs Miami.
Lastseason we went an entire season watching center Tyson Chandler in lineups with SF (Melo, or Novak, or Copeland), and a 3 guard unit lineup. This type of one-Big in a small rotation got a pass in the regular season, and the postseason game vs the Boston Celtics.
We became a small-ball vs BIG-ball joke in the 102-95 LOSS in MSG the first game of the Indiana Pacers series.

C-6.11 Cole Aldrich big-body in the paint looked decent, and probably wouldve worked well if we had a PF in the lineup with him lastnight. Aldrich didnt have a PF in the lineup with him and we watch a Knicks 20 point lead dwindle down to a 1 point lead.
Why didnt? HC Woody give Aldrich, Bargani, and Meta, eight minutes in a lineup together to give Aldrich the confidence of making the team as Tyson backup in the first preseason game .... is it bc HC Woody plan on running one Bigman, a SF, and a 3 guard unit lineup this regular season (the same as lastseason) .... we are not the Miami Heat who do play two strong-fowards in their lineup alongside of a 6.9 SF-Lebron James...

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It was a very chaotic game. Shumpert and Hardaway looked great and so did Felton. Artest also looked solid. Melo and Tyson didn't have to do much and we all know they're gonna be in great shape once the RS kicks off. Bargnani looked weak, that Brazilian guy dunked on him a couple of times and generally speaking Bargs has no idea what he's doing, no D, no rebounding and his offense wasn't impressive either. He's a poor man's Amare IMO, however with better knees. I'm somehow surpised Leslie didn't get more PT, also I'm wondering why Murry didn't even play. Udrih is out of shape... Aldrich/Powell/Diogu/Chris Smith are just camp roster fillers.
Bargs his whole career has never been a rebounder or defender but you always hoped that his offense would compensate. Didn't see a brilliant offensive game by him last night. It's only one game but if he doesn't pick up his offensive game Woody is going to have problems fitting him into lineups because you have to cover for his rebounding and defensive weaknesses. I never was sold on the guy and last night did not change my mind.

Kiyaman

Legend
Like I been mentioning often since slecting Shump over Kenneth Faried in the draft .... we selected a 6th man over a STARTER.
Shump is our best 6th Man on the roster...

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I love Shump, but I'm not gonna deny Faried would be a great fit now. We have a lot of problems at the 4 and this is where Faried would thrive.

metrocard

Legend
This is why I hate when we don't trade for draft picks. We could of potentially had Fareid and Shumpert on the same team, perfect role players for Melo especially since Shumpert has become a good shooter now. There were teams in the top 10-20 willing to trade their picks for garbage.

metrocard

Legend
how many minutes Chris Smith will get this season

0ac178062f9711e3bd1422000aeb103d_8.jpg

Broadway

All Star
This is why I hate when we don't trade for draft picks. We could of potentially had Fareid and Shumpert on the same team, perfect role players for Melo especially since Shumpert has become a good shooter now. There were teams in the top 10-20 willing to trade their picks for garbage.

This is what I kind of walk away with after the game. Yeah Shump and Jr. looked good and guess what they are the youth bloodline of this team, yet we've been giving away all of our future assets/youth like it doesn't/won't mean anything.

Let's not stop there...Boston acquiring guys like Phil Pressey and Gabb(who looked almost every bit of Shump and Jr last night) dudes who went undrafted mind you..... also goes to show how grossly overrated Grunwald was as a GM with adding the youth(Leslie/Tyler/Aldrich/Murry/CDR) he did add to the team. It's like do we even scout properly?

We're potentially giving roster spots possibly to Murry and Chris Smith with that kind of talent out there? We were chasing Bobby Brown hot and heavy with that kind of talent out there?

While Melo looked to pass a little, which of course is easy to do in a meaningless pre-season game.... we also saw him reaching back to quench his thirst early 3rd qrt with those albatross heat check long jumpers. Ironically enough when he went to the bench along with Chandler/Bargs is when we really took hold of the game.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Agreed, unfortunately we only trade picks for washed up players. I don't know why, but I can't think of us making a huge impact this year. I mean, we've got a lot of great players, but there is that missing piece, that role Amare was supposed to fullfill.

Rob Low

Rotation player
I hope woody starts Shump once the season starts along with Bargs. I think a lineup of Felt/Shump/Melo/Bargs/Tyson with a bench of Prigioni/Jr/MWP/k mart/stat gives us a really solid rotation and as long as Bargs and Amare aren't on the court at the same time we should be fine defensively.