Knicks @ Raptors, Preseason G2

petescud

Starter
Playing my guitar and watching a little....Anyone looking good tonight so far

Too bad we couldn't snag DeRozen from them...he's a good player

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 3m At the end of the day, the Knicks' offense is a jump-shooting system, and second chances will make or break their season in key games.

Broadway

All Star
Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 3m At the end of the day, the Knicks' offense is a jump-shooting system, and second chances will make or break their season in key games.

When Barnani made comments about fitting into what we do and stated...."We run a lot of umtempo plays and shoot A LOT 3s'...

Well when I heard that I barfed up A LOT OF CHUNKS

This team isn't going to go far...All Sizzle and No Steak.

I'm just hoping our overrated and overpaid vets somehow can be traded to a more desperate team than us in win now mode and we get back some assets to build for the future around Jr. and Shump(if he's still here).

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter

I was going to wait and watch a few more games before I brought this up but I think the knicks should not rely on the 3 as much as they in the past have done (and they keep trying to do).

They have a different personnel now that consist of guys who can put it on the floor more and are decent passers.... the knicks looks primed to play half court sets, which is good because that is what playoff basketball is basically made of.

Also right now there is no depth behind chandler.... like I know K-Mart is there with tyler but the guys who have played center behind tyson this pre-season have not been NBA quality guys at the center position.

petescud

Starter
Our guards hardly ever take it to the rim...even if to draw the "D" and pass it off to a big. Yeah, i see no improvement so far from last year, looking at the system Woody brings. You have a ton of guys that can drive to the basket, use that asset of the game too. We are way to predictable....just like last year. Lets hope they keep Shump as some has said Woody or mgmt doesn't seem to like him. or at the very least get a good player in return

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Shump needs to breakout this season. I personally don't care how they score or who, as long as the defense is there. I want to see Chandler come back to his old self this season and actually reject some shots, please no more free lay ups. Either that or the guards need to step up and actually stay in front of their man. Well, atleast we got Shump from the beginning of the season this year so that is an improvement. I don't expect much from Kmart, as long as he brings the hammer down while he is playing i'll be happy.

I'm liking how THJ is playing so far, I can see the confidence in his shot and that he is not afraid to take them like some rookies. He looks hungry and happy to be here, so you never know, with the opportunity to play he might become something. Bargnani doesn't look ready yet, specially in the defense as expected, but atleast he is attacking the basket. I'm surprised he hasn't hit any 3s yet though, as i could swear from what i remember about him that 3s was a big part of his game.

So many ifs and hopes, just have to wait and see how they play out. A pleasant and welcomed surprise would be a health STAT.

tiger0330

Legend
Timmy has been impressive, if the Knicks were the 76ers he might be starting. Doesn't surprise me given who his dad is and the fact he's been training to be an NBA player since he was in HS. Woody said he was going to find him minutes in the rotation but I think he deserves a shot at starting in the preseason. Put Melo back at the 4 and have a combo of Shump and Timmy as swing men. Let's see if Timmy can take the heat in the preseason.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
After just two preseason games I start to think the Bargnani trade might really be what got Grunwald fired. Andrea doesn't fit anywhere and I'm sure he'll cause a lot rotation problems for Woodson. Despite being on limited PT I'd still prefer to start Amare, simply because he has what it takes to deal with first string PFs. He outplays Bargs in every department. Also I'd opt out to play Artest over Andrea, MWP is a solid defender and rebounder and on the offensive end he does exactly the same job.

Felton, Smith, Anthony, Stoudemire, Chandler;
Prigioni, Hardaway, Shumpert, Artest, Tyler.

I love the way Hardaway and Shump play together, there is some growing chemistry between those two. Tyler did some great job during the SL and if he continues to put in effort he could make an impact. We seem commited to him, so I guess he's gonna be our 2nd string center. I could only wish Murry got some more PT in the preaseason, he made some great plays last night and I don't know why Woody is limiting him to some garbage time.

tiger0330

Legend
I agree about Grunny but it started with overpaying Novak with that lucrative contract after his one trick pony act with so many teams and then scrambling to bail out of the deal by trading for the overpaid and underperforming Bargs. Also going old school which was a disaster, glad we dumped Camby because it looks like he might be out all year in Houston with a broken plantar fascitis.

I would say with what we gave away and what we got back the Bargs deal is slightly in our favor but you have to wait until 2016 to see what that pick brings Toronto to get the final score of the trade.

Kiyaman

Legend
I was going to wait and watch a few more games before I brought this up but I think the knicks should not rely on the 3 as much as they in the past have done (and they keep trying to do).

They have a different personnel now that consist of guys who can put it on the floor more and are decent passers.... the knicks looks primed to play half court sets, which is good because that is what playoff basketball is basically made of.

Also right now there is no depth behind chandler.... like I know K-Mart is there with tyler but the guys who have played center behind tyson this pre-season have not been NBA quality guys at the center position.

WOW! The Knicks scored 20 points on fastbreak baskets in both games, this roster luv to run and slash to the basket. The oposite of our performance lastseason when we average 4 points on fastbreak basket per game.

HC Woody is in trouble now if he dont let these players run an uptempo transition, or ignore the signs of all the slashers on the roster for some 3-point offense. It's time for Woody to write-up some screen plays so players can slash to the basket in a halfcourt-set, rather than lineup on the 3-ball line.
Woody's small-ball lineup was expose in both games by D.League oponents going on runs of scoring 7 or more straight points on us. If u dont have a decent offense/defense plan for a 3-guard unit in a backcourt lineup then leave it alone untill u do. We no longer have Jason Kidd on the roster to tell us how, when, and what is needed from the 3 guard unit.

PG-Beno is fat, slow, sloppy, and should only get playingtime in the first half of the preseason games.
Beno belong on the running track throughout the preseason games. Beno probably didnt bother to workout in early August when we signed him after watching us walk the ball all of lastseason.
Woody giving C-Cole Aldrich 5 minutes of playingtime, and no PT in the 4th quarter to run a small-ball lineup the entire 4th quarter, Woody deserve the 21 points scored by Toronto in the final 5 minutes of the game for a Knicks loss.

Broadway

All Star
WOW! The Knicks scored 20 points on fastbreak baskets in both games, this roster luv to run and slash to the basket. The oposite of our performance lastseason when we average 4 points on fastbreak basket per game.

HC Woody is in trouble now if he dont let these players run an uptempo transition, or ignore the signs of all the slashers on the roster for some 3-point offense. It's time for Woody to write-up some screen plays so players can slash to the basket in a halfcourt-set, rather than lineup on the 3-ball line.
Woody's small-ball lineup was expose in both games by D.League oponents going on runs of scoring 7 or more straight points on us. If u dont have a decent offense/defense plan for a 3-guard unit in a backcourt lineup then leave it alone untill u do. We no longer have Jason Kidd on the roster to tell us how, when, and what is needed from the 3 guard unit.

PG-Beno is fat, slow, sloppy, and should only get playingtime in the first half of the preseason games.
Beno belong on the running track throughout the preseason games. Beno probably didnt bother to workout in early August when we signed him after watching us walk the ball all of lastseason.
Woody giving C-Cole Aldrich 5 minutes of playingtime, and no PT in the 4th quarter to run a small-ball lineup the entire 4th quarter, Woody deserve the 21 points scored by Toronto in the final 5 minutes of the game for a Knicks loss.

For the record we've attempted 21 and 30 3s thus far in pre-season....this isn't going to end well folks....

Last edited:

bigapple

Starter
Beno is not playing strong right now. Its pre games meaningles ye i know Lakers were 0-8 last season

Tyson played just 1/3 game i liked connection MWP Shump

I like Powell

I like speed Hardaway but such games are tells alot who should be starter n who should be as bench

+ i didnt know that DJ Augustin is playing also in Raptors so their team can be in something between 8th seed
but their TO's are like Knicks during MDA

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
What worries me the most if the fact that there is no team out there. We've seen a group of individuals playing together, but they don't look like a unity. IMO the meaning of preseason is to experience with new rotations, strategies or plays, but I can't see anything new in these Knicks. Wasn't Shump supposed to run our offense a little bit more? Wasn't Chandler going to take some jumpers to become more of an offensive threat? And why are we playing guys with guaranteed contracts instead of young players who are there to fight for a roster spot like Murry or Leslie? I don't see guys like Powell or Aldrich making the team, so why are they getting so much PT?

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I'm astonished at how many people appear to be worried. I see a team with alot of weapons, and a budding star in shump. And a nice supporting player in bargs and mwp and a draft steal in thj. That should equate to optimism not pessimism. What happened to shump controlling the rock more? We signed another pg therefore he shouldn't have to this year and focus on locking people down and getting buckets.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

bigapple

Starter
there is only one case i dont like

bargniani lost to raptors as knicks
novak won vs knicks as raptor

each time when new player coming from non playoff team joining knicks loosing against former team

Lin/Douglas gone to Rockets won both games well sweep over 20
Fields gone to Raptors and won 1st game @ msg
Melo lost 1st game vs Nuggets as Knick
Kidd lost 1st game as knick vs Mavs
worhtless to list more

deosnt matter if its pre season or regular season but its really something

Tyson is still playing nothing in offense just D look @ Bosh Hibbert Lopez they will eat him up
just few fastbreaks and mostly with Shump and Hardaway nothing from Felton just one from MELO

MWP will change D for sure

i wana see again both game vs Celts and Raptors btw on SPortnation i heard from some1 such question
"does Celtics still playing basketball?"