A look at the bad D from the @ WAS game

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
- Prigioni playing very risky usually going for steals which often leaves opposing point guards unguarded;
- Amare's weak individual defense;
- Udrih and Bargnani switching despite Woodson making it clear that the point guard and center positions are not allow to switch;
- Melo playing lazy ass bball, not getting back on defense.

It's nothing new really...

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I keep seeing, hearing, and reading the word effort, but what about awareness?

From my viewpoint, I think that there's a little "PC" (political correctness) coming from Melo when he talks about the struggle of the team. I personally put a lot of the blame on Woodson's doorstep, and it spirals out of control from there.

Back to Melo, he's always been viewed (fairly and unfairly) as a "coach-killer" type of player. At the same time, the dude is extremely politically correct, to the point that sometimes it sounds like he's literally not saying anything at all, when he speaks (because it's too dressed up for public consumption).

Effort clearly isn't the Knicks fatal flaw, because even when they give some effort, they still look like they don't know what the actual **** they're doing, or supposed to be doing. But Woodson says "effort, effort, effort" and when there is effort he says "well....we gave effort tonight, but shots just weren't falling...I mean, last year those shots were falling, and we're 6-9 points behind where we were last year, because those shots were falling for us" and he'll sprinkle in "we're still trying to learn each other."

That's just... Huh?

The Knicks have zero direction. Not from a wins and loss standpoint, but when you're watching the game and not the box score (we know how that goes) you don't see **** that you can hang your hat on.

A team of streaky shooters (someone else on here pointed that out) that launches up 3s seemingly at will. Yea, that's smart and sustainable.. Personnel management is atrocious. The overall lack of direction might be worse than D'Antoni. At least he had a piss poor plan, and was sticking too it. This team has no plan.

I was watching the Mike Woodson Show on MSG a few days ago, and Alan Hahn asked Woody how come there aren't more Melo-Bargs PnR plays. Woodson said because it would be too easy for the defense to switch that play, and Bargs man would be on Melo and vice-versa...

So...so...you mean if Melo is at the 3, and Bargs is at the 4....Melo would be faced with a 4 switching onto him, and Bargs would have a 3 on him? Or if it's 4-5, then Melo faces a bigger, but surely slower player and Bargs faces someone at his natural position?

duh-meme.gif

As it is right now (with Chandler out), Melo is at the 4...so him having a 4 switch onto him is what problem? The prospects of a Hibbert or Brook Lopez having to deal with Melo as his primary defender, is a delicious one. That's a foul or a bucket all day. We should know because we switch EVERYTHING.

Which brings me to another point. Woodson on his show with Hahn, often
criticizes players for "making a bad switch" then he'll follow it up with "we don't want a switch there, we want good switches...2s, 3s, and 4s. We don't want a small on a big, and vice-versa."

Which bring me to another question...how come it looks like the players don't know that? I've routinely seen Felton and Chandler, Prigs and Stoudemire, Prigs and Martin, switch every single PnR they're presented with. If these are all bad switches, we've got some guards out there with learning disabilities, cause I've seen the same bad switches for years now. But then how do we explain the bad switching Woody's teams did in ATL?

Maybe I'm projecting, but I don't believe this team believes in Woodson. It's very peculiar that when the vets with a strong voice, and stance, left after last season (two becoming coaches) this team lost all of it's direction and identity and is struggling to find it?

The hell is the coach doing then? Players play and coaches coach. But player who look like they're playing without a coach end up looking like a 3-9 disaster.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
- Prigioni playing very risky usually going for steals which often leaves opposing point guards unguarded;
- Amare's weak individual defense;
- Udrih and Bargnani switching despite Woodson making it clear that the point guard and center positions are not allow to switch;
- Melo playing lazy ass bball, not getting back on defense.

It's nothing new really...

- That seems to be born of not believing in the team's defense, and having to make "hero" plays. Stinks of desperation from a player who knows better. Why is that?

- Nothing we can do about that. He is who he is. I wish who he is wasn't on this team anymore...but c'sest la vie.

- Same bad switches that we saw, and was chronicled when Woody was in ATL. So either every guard-big combo he gets his hands on are coming in with some atrociously bad habits that can't be corrected...or this is being installed as a part of the defense. By who I wonder? One year = anomaly. Two years =coincidence. Entire coaching career = c'mon Woody. What's really going on?

- Melo does that from time to time. Too often to be honest. He started out last season by playing like his hair was on fire. The defense, the upward swipe blocks at the rim, the diving into the stands for loose balls. Then it slowly but surely waned, and the Knicks still won.

All of these issues were there last year (nothing new really, like you said). But the Knick won because the 3s kept falling. Now that the 3s aren't falling, but the sky seems to be.

Kiyaman

Legend
The line-up Woody put on the court at the start of the 4th qtr. had a fresh-leg defense that interupted the Wizards entire winning game plan. Prig, Shump, JR, Meta, and Stat, they got the lead down to 3 points.
Woody only gave that DEFENSIVE lineup 3 EFFing minutes on the court, before putting in Melo, then Barg, then Beno, then K-Mart.

That kind of foolish substitution in the 4th qtr. is why we have a 3-9 record ....
Playing ISO-Melo the entire 3rd qtr., then putting Melo back in the game 3 minutes into the 4th quarter has turn into a recipe for a 3-9 platter

Kiyaman

Legend
If Woody keep giving our veteran players Spot-Minute playingtime (3 to 5 minute runs), I wouldnt be suprise if Prig, Beno, K-Mart, Amare, and Meta, all ask to be traded after the road trip. There is no-way we can build a same-page chemistry team when the majority of our players are not receiving enough playingtime to warm-up on the court before being taken out of the game.

When Woody took a hot shooting 5-5 Stat out of the game, and the Knicks Fans in Washington were aplauding Stats performance.
Walt Frazier mention why is Woodson taking Stat out of the game while he so hot with just 2 minutes remaining in the 2nd qtr., Breen jumped in saying "its the medical staff", justifying Woody's foolishness. Stat didnt come back into the game till the end of the 3rd qtr.

If Woody gave Melo spot-minutes in a game, all the games when Melo was off .... Woody would be FIRED after the game.

skisloper

Starter
Wizards ere in the penalty with Just under 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter.....Yet we need not to get to the foul line until just under 5 minutes because we just hoist 3 pointer after 3 pointer and outside shot despite them not working......

The basketball IQ on the court for the Knicks is so low........With a team in the penalty you drive on them and get to the line, i mean come on........

bigapple

Starter
and NETS just scored their 10th loss and 5th december its Nets vs Knicks this time it will be Nets with full roster

team which will lose this game will be much more down.

Knicks calendar is pretty scary and looking @ stats West is destroing east

and just look how many team are under 0.500 in east and how much diffrences is between records ofr Spurs pacers OKC

Kiyaman

Legend
Wizards ere in the penalty with Just under 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter.....

The Wizards were angry from our defense, playin sloppy ball putting themself into the penalty 2 min into the 4th qtr., at that moment it looked like the lineup of Prig, Shump, JR, Meta, and Amare were going to pull this game out.
However, at that moment Woody put Melo into the game, then Barg, then Beno, then K-Mart. And all we did the final 9 minutes of the game was shoot JUMPERS on a team in penalty for 9 minutes .... do u think Prig/Shump/Meta was happy to go to the bench after starting the 4th qtr. applying presure defense so good JR got a one on one fastbreak off of a steal.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
and NETS just scored their 10th loss and 5th december its Nets vs Knicks this time it will be Nets with full roster

team which will lose this game will be much more down.

Knicks calendar is pretty scary and looking @ stats West is destroing east

and just look how many team are under 0.500 in east and how much diffrences is between records ofr Spurs pacers OKC

On December 5th we will see something that has never been done before. After the scorless first half, the regulation time will end at 34-34 and there will be no OT, because the croud will demand to stop the game and the refund for their tickets

bigapple

Starter
well especially when son of john hit 8 3s vs pistons but nets was outscored again in 3q

anyway panic mode will be turned on when it will be less than 10 wins in 25 games.

Kiyaman

Legend
well especially when son of john hit 8 3s vs pistons but nets was outscored again in 3q

anyway panic mode will be turned on when it will be less than 10 wins in 25 games.

Which team is built to go on a 16-4 run this season?
A) Knicks
B) Nets
The answer is the Nets .. they have a bunch of 4th quarter scorers & stoppers.
HC Jason Kidd was a player lastseason, and couldnt complain in training-camp at all the veteran-players that reported unhealthy for a 82 game season. The majority of the veterans expected to play themselves into game-shape before midseason .. something Jason Kidd did a lot throughout his 19 yr career. LMAO

HC Mike Woodson has been playing musical-chairs with our starter lineup, and our bench-players.
Woodson & Melo have not given any Knicks player a specific lineup to prepare with before a game.
We been losing consistantly for one reason .. to much substitution in every game.
Our starters never have a 2nd half plan different from the lousy first-half plan...