[New York Times] Mohammed Is Having an All-Star Season

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Nazr Mohammed has never given himself a clever nickname or made a rap CD, and he would not know how to start a superstar feud. Shaquille O'Neal he is not.

But Mohammed has, unexpectedly, become perhaps the best Eastern Conference center not residing in south Florida. Or the most consistently productive one, anyway.

Mohammed, the Knicks' starting center, is averaging career highs of 12.5 points and 9.3 rebounds. He is also shooting 53.2 percent from the field. His hustle and grit have helped the Knicks (16-13) to first place in the Atlantic Division. And his steady production has put him squarely in the conversation about who should back up O'Neal in the All-Star Game on Feb. 20 in Denver.

"I think he's in that discussion," Isiah Thomas, the Knicks' president, said. "I know the thing that the coaches value the most is his work ethic, the way he approaches the game every night and the way he does the dirty work inside the paint. He's not flashy; he's effective. He's just a worker."

More

Trin_Starr

Starter
Man, that NY times writer laid down the stats on why Nazr should start over Wallace.....That's what I call lobbying for the East All star's backup center position!!

madskillz7312

Benchwarmer
He may be having an all-star season, but does the media know that? Non-the-less care? Probaly not....... I have no idea why.......

JaDaMeL05

Benchwarmer
Truthfully it aInt really about what the media thinks, even though it helps give the players hype. I mean the All-Star game is about fun and excitement, but with those strict head coaches picking, Nazr has a good chance as anyone else for a backup center. People like his work ethic.

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
It's a joke that he wasn't even in the top 10 in the all-star ballot with players like Battie, Brezec and Mourning getting higher votes then him.